PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Blazer might take a bite out of Spurs' clean character

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 02:36 AM
Mike Monroe: Ex-Blazer might take a bite out of Spurs' clean character
Web Posted: 01/26/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012605.5C.COL.BKNmonroe.4439512b.html

San Antonio Express-News

News: The Spurs expressed interest in Qyntel Woods, who was expected to clear waivers Tuesday after being released last week by the Trail Blazers following a guilty plea to a charge of misdemeanor animal abuse.

Views: The Spurs have liked Woods' game since his first year of junior college. He is a gifted shooting guard with great size (6-foot-8) and excels in the open court. Before his legal difficulties got him suspended by the Blazers during training camp, he was challenging Derek Anderson for a starting spot in Portland. But the Spurs also want players with good character, and Woods' history of off-court problems is more than troubling. Before getting into trouble for animal abuse in a case related to dog fighting, he pleaded no contest to a marijuana possession charge in 2003. The NBA suspended him in 2004 for violation of the league's substance abuse policies.

This seems to make him the anti-Spur.

Besides, how could the Coyote entertain the fans if he always was looking over his shoulder at Woods?

News: Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe to meet with George Karl in Chicago.

Views: Make sure that seat to the right of the head coach's chair on the Nuggets bench doesn't have gum on it, Michael Cooper. You're going to be sitting in it again very soon.

Before Vandeweghe fired Jeff Bzdelik as head coach, he made it clear to people close to him that he didn't believe Cooper was ready to coach an NBA team. One NBA assistant coach familiar with the Denver situation — not a Nuggets assistant, by the way — even told us Vandeweghe intended to fire Bzdelik and take on the job himself, but was blocked by owner Stan Kroenke.

With the Nuggets 4-8 under Cooper and the playoffs slipping farther and farther out of their reach, Vandeweghe feels pressure to turn things around right now, or face the prospect of joining Bzdelik among the unemployed.

The Nuggets need nothing so much as a coach who will stand up to Carmelo Anthony, whose reputation as one of the league's most selfish players seems to grow, week to week. Karl, former coach of the Warriors, Sonics and Bucks, is a guy whose standing will allow him to reach Anthony and get him to realize the potential of his game. Plus, Kroenke has a business relationship and close personal friendship with Karl.

Karl needs a return to an NBA bench almost as much as Vandeweghe needs a guy who can get his underachieving team back on track. It will be an upset if Vandeweghe doesn't make Karl an offer in Chicago. Karl had one of the league's most lucrative coaching deals in Milwaukee, but if he will accept a contract with the big money tied to incentives, he will be Denver's coach by the time the Nuggets return, on Feb. 1, from their three-game road trip that began Tuesday night in Chicago, if not sooner.

News: Ron Artest returns to practice with the Pacers.

Views: The Pacers say they want Artest back on the practice court for the good of the player and the team, and so Artest can continue to work on his game. And while Rick Carlisle reiterated to a gaggle of reporters on Monday in Indianapolis that he expects Artest's suspension to stick through the end of the season, some of his players expressed hope for a change of heart by Commissioner David Stern that would allow Artest to return in time to suit up for the playoffs. But it's Carlisle who is right. Stern, who lost a bout in federal district court about his sole jurisdiction to rule on the Nov. 19 brawl in Detroit, isn't going to back down on Artest. The practice court is as close as he's going to get to a game, because he is not even allowed in an arena when the Pacers are playing.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sidenote: Pop said today on The Pop Show that he didn't know anything about the Spurs being interested in Qyntel. I don't know if that makes it more or less likely that they really are.
:)

whottt
01-26-2005, 02:53 AM
All I know is that we should think long and hard before picking up anyone whose character is low even by Blazer's standards. I mean c'mon, if the Blazers are cutting this guy loose for essentially nothing...

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Sign and trade. :lol

Slo spurs fan
01-26-2005, 09:40 AM
NO user sign and shot this mofo! :makemyday

bigzak25
01-26-2005, 10:06 AM
i don't question the spurs FO. if they can teach this guy to play Spurs D, and clean up his act, it's a steal.

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Besides, how could the Coyote entertain the fans if he always was looking over his shoulder at Woods?

Cold.

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't want the coyote picking up bad habbits and staying out all night howling at the moon.

SPURS21
01-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Marijauana charges...not that bad

the dog fighting is a little more troubling....
maybe he can amture tho, especially in an environment like S.A.

pick him up, keep him on the IR, see how hard he wants it, could be a huge steal

Parker, Manu, Woods n Duncan is a rpetty solid starting lineup for years to come

exstatic
01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
If they did pick him up, Woods wouldn't even sniff the roster or post season roster this year. Pop seems to take his time developing players, preferring to keep them on IR while they figure out what being a Spur is all about. Jax played exactly 23 games, and was on IR for 59 in his first year, and that was a FULL season.

Jdspur20
01-26-2005, 11:28 AM
well, i don't think we need him, but if the spurs want to sign him i guess go for it. there's something about the spurs that keep players in line. look at stephen jackson when he was with us, and look at him now, he would have never done anything like what he did with the pacers back in nov. while on our team, pop would have probibly would have beat the living crap out of him after the game before anyone else could have got to him.

Manu20
01-26-2005, 11:54 AM
IMO the spurs should get him.

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Could it be possible that Qyntel's agent is floating a rumor about the Spurs picking him up in order to scare other teams into taking him off waivers?

ducks
01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
he most likley has more talent then 111
the spurs are not taking a big chance on him if they keep him on ir
they can always cut him anyhow

if spurs cut him he is done though

Ginobilly
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I say bring him in and develop him like SJax. I think he could really blossom in SA with Tim and the gang.

foodie2
01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
maybe he can mature tho, especially in an environment like S.A.

An environment like S.A.? They just arrested some motherfuckers here in San Antonio for dogfighting--they had something over 50 pit bulls in various states of abuse which will have to be put down. Bringing this loser here would be like putting a kid in a candy store.

No, and no, and no, and no.

exstatic
01-26-2005, 01:07 PM
An environment like S.A.?
I think he's talking about an environment like the SA Spurs. You can find dog abuse anywhere, not just here.

T Park
01-26-2005, 01:22 PM
It only happens here and Portland right Foodie??

smeagol
01-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Have people seen the pictures whottt posted on another thread? Is leaving dogs in that state the idea of fun for this guy?

How can people want such a person associated with the Spurs is beyond me.

If the Spurs take on Woods, where does the buck stop? A child molestor? A rapist? A serial killer? Malone? (just kidding with that last one)

Fvck no to Woods! I don't care if he makes the roster better. Fvck no!

Dre_7
01-26-2005, 01:46 PM
SA really needs to be SURE this guy has cleaned up his act for good before they even consider signing him!!

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Have people seen the pictures whottt posted on another thread? Is leaving dogs in that state the idea of fun for this guy?

I've seen some pretty disgusting images of professional boxers after they fight.

Pictures of mutilated dogs are disgusting to us, but apparently not to Woods. I'm sure he thinks the dogs enjoy it, like professional boxers enjoy having teeth knocked out and noses broken.

Rynospursfan
01-26-2005, 02:04 PM
There seems to be a misperception of the talent of Quintel Woods. Not only is he a punk, he is not any good. The Spurs, or any team for that matter would be insane to pick this guy up. He simply doesn't belong in this league.

Extra Stout
01-26-2005, 02:15 PM
If the Spurs pick this guy up, David Robinson ought to sell his stake in the team and disassociate himself from the organization.

T Park
01-26-2005, 02:17 PM
David Robinson ought to sell his stake in the team and disassociate himself from the organization.

Im sure David is glad that your doing his thinking for him.

Extra Stout
01-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Im sure David is glad that your doing his thinking for him.Stop trying to respond to me, little insect. You are beneath me.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 02:46 PM
poor blazers, they try to clean up their act and then the wholesome spurs take advantage of them

Ghost Writer
01-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Spurs: Woods draws interest

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

News
Former Trail Blazers guard Qyntel Woods, who was released by Portland last week following a guilty plea to animal abuse charges, is a reported target for the Spurs, the San Antonio Express-News reports. Woods averaged 3.6 points per game for the Blazers last season but had not appeared in a game this year.

Views
Just what the Spurs need, another perimeter player to steal minutes from Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. A noted troublemaker in his three-year stint in the league, Woods would seem an odd fit for the squeaky-clean Spurs, but we'll keep you posted.

ducks
01-26-2005, 02:52 PM
spurs signed dennis rodman

they want mailman
one of the dirtest players in the nba
maybe they are not that borring after all

Extra Stout
01-26-2005, 02:58 PM
poor blazers, they try to clean up their act and then the wholesome spurs take advantage of themThe NBA is hurting for some controversy. 200 million morons in America used to hang on every word about all that Lakers soap opera crap. The Spurs need an edge for ratings. They need their PG to date some oversexed starlet. They need a dogfighting thug to stay in the headlines.

Next month, there will be rumors about Manu's ties to South American drug cartels, Rasho will be promoting his new rap album, and Bruce Bowen will put the Coyote in a chokehold during practice.

whottt
01-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I've seen some pretty disgusting images of professional boxers after they fight.

Boxers tend to get paid a lot of money for what they do, they often chose to do it, and they seldom are fought to the death. They also don't get euthanized wholesale when they are caught being trained to fight.

Boxers also don't go out and attack small children and animals because of the cruel methods used to train them.

Pictures of mutilated dogs are disgusting to us, but apparently not to Woods. I'm sure he thinks the dogs enjoy it, like professional boxers enjoy having teeth knocked out and noses broken.

The losing dog in a dog fight frequently has it's eyes bitten out, and is often in need of having a limb amputated....if it miraculously lives. And if it does live, the person who fought it is usually not willing to pay what it will take to fix them. Why do that when it is a loser and can easily be disposed of on the side of the highway...and you can always get another Pit Bull....

This pictures I posted earlier weren't of Pitbulls who had lost the dogfight...those were pictures of the winners.

This isn't just watching two guys beat the crap out of each other by their own choice...

This is watching two animals designed and trained to kill, eviscerate and butcher each other in a fight to the death...all just for kicks.

I'll wager that there is something very wrong with the type of individual who enjoys those activities and that they probably have other serious issues besides dogfighting.

It's just an inch or so away from gladiator sports...

The thing is...the dogfight is usually the merciful release for one or both of the dogs being fought...training them is just as bad or worse...

Do you know of many people who enjoy watching someone starve? Because that is a very popular training method of Pit Bull fighters.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 03:05 PM
whottt again dominates an argument that most dont give a fuck about

Ghost Writer
01-26-2005, 03:06 PM
If the kid can get it done, sign him up and de-ball him alittle, but not enough so he'll lose his edge.

We have enough guys who get shook under pressure on this team.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 03:07 PM
like who?

ducks
01-26-2005, 03:09 PM
one question

was woods convicted or not?
rember you are innocent unitl proven guilty in the USA

whottt
01-26-2005, 03:10 PM
A couple of other things...

If anyone thinks this was an isolated incident and the first time he has done this they are crazy...you don't just wake up one day and say hey...I'll think I'll organize a dogfighting ring...it might be fun. He's been doing it a long time. Probably since he was a kid, and he likes it.

I forgot to add something about starving the dogs during training..after they starve them they frequently toss a cat or a small puppy into their cage for them to kill in a fit of raging blood lust...to make them better killers of course...

So if you've ever had a cat or a puppy mysteriously disappear and can't seem to find any evidence of that animal being killed by a car...Chances are it wound up on the wrong end of a starved Pit Bull.

No, someone didn't steal your cute mutt puppy because they love dogs and wanted it for their own...

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
You don't need to convince me of the inhmanity of dogfighting. Where I remain unconvinced, however, is the assertion that the Spurs should avoid him like the plague. If he is any sort of problem for team chemistry, he can be dropped easily. If he's not, it will be good for the team and, more importantly, good for him.

It's probably best for him to be allowed to continue his basketball career... a passion that exceeds his love of dogfighting... if he's ever to be rehabilitated. We're not talking about a pedophile or a schitzophrenic here. We're talking about someone who has not grown up in a culture that values the humane treatment of dogs, and needs to be acculturated to decent humane society.

whottt
01-26-2005, 03:24 PM
whottt again dominates an argument that most dont give a fuck about

violentkitten again talk shit in ignorance and proves himself to be a hypocritical fuck...

violent kitten has shown repreatedly he is willing to sign any lowlife scumbag to this team...

Yet still feels like he can talk shit fans of other teams and call out the character of their players...

IOW, violent kitten doesn't have an ounce of conviction behind anything he says...if he is talking shit about a player on your team...chances are he'd suck that guy off in a second if he could get them for the Spurs...

Just remember how meaningless his words are the next time he opens his stupid fucking mouth.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 03:24 PM
violentkitten done mentally owned your blowhard ass

whottt
01-26-2005, 03:31 PM
the only thing violent kitten "owns" are the 6 billion usernames he has created when trying to hide after getting his dumb ass spanked on the forum.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 03:33 PM
uh oh violentkitten done made whottt cry

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
There is zero downside to doing this for SA.

Bring him in, tell him he's gotta be squeaky clean and see if he, with his length, can pick up Spurs D and be a great defender for long SFs.

If not, they can cut his ass down the road. I think the Spurs environment would be good for him, and Pop can always point out to Qyntel that if he fucks up, just to look at the careers of Bob Hill and Kevin O'Keefe after they were run out of town.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 03:44 PM
uh linton isnt that bad and hes not an idiot. leave it to an aggie to try to fix what isnt broke

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 03:48 PM
But isn't something broke on LJ3? That's why he's on the IR list right?

exstatic
01-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Folks, they're going to need to replace both Bowen and Barry within a few years. They're both 33. The Spurs are not going to sign the guy if they think he is non-rehabable, nor will they leave him to his own devices like the Blazers did.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
But isn't something broke on LJ3? That's why he's on the IR list right?

Well Qyntel would be on IR too if the Spurs signed him. There's not anyone on the active roster to replace.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
if woods was signed then he would finish the season on ir

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Well Qyntel would be on IR too if the Spurs signed him. There's not anyone on the active roster to replace.

Until Rasho comes back, right? Wouldn't Marks go back?

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 03:53 PM
It's probably best for him to be allowed to continue his basketball career... a passion that exceeds his love of dogfighting... if he's ever to be rehabilitated. We're not talking about a pedophile or a schitzophrenic here. We're talking about someone who has not grown up in a culture that values the humane treatment of dogs, and needs to be acculturated to decent humane society.

I know the dog fighting is everyone's point of interest. But it's not just the dog fighting. He's broken the NBA's drug policy twice and he's a horrible teammate. In the summer league, he would be yelling at his own teammates constantly on the floor while getting his ass beat on D. I don't see the Spurs picking him up unless, Sato sucks ... or Linton got bad news at the latest doctor visit and is never going to recover.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Until Rasho comes back, right? Wouldn't Marks go back?

Why? Qyntel isn't a big. Why would they have him active?

Drachen
01-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I mean really, who does this??

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 03:59 PM
In that case I think Minne should pick him up. He sounds perfect for them.

whottt
01-26-2005, 04:04 PM
I know the dog fighting is everyone's point of interest. But it's not just the dog fighting. He's broken the NBA's drug policy twice and he's a horrible teammate. In the summer league, he would be yelling at his own teammates constantly on the floor while getting his ass beat on D. I don't see the Spurs picking him up unless, Sato sucks ... or Linton got bad news at the latest doctor visit and is never going to recover.

You forgot to mention that he's gotten into several fights during practice.

Something tells me ole Qynt ain't going to be able to handle Pop getting in his face.

But anyway, the Spurs are basketball nirvana, immune to chemistry problems, and since we have the best record in the NBA and a team running on all cylynders...I see no reason why we shouldn't potentially screw that up so we can give a millionaire scumbag a second chance. It might even make us the best team in the NBA with the best record...

I mean Jack had commited felonius crimes, violated the NBA's drug policy multiple times, and fought with teamates...and we straightened him out from those problems...Right?

exstatic
01-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Minny is already rehabbing one: Eddie Griffin. Did anyone think HE would ever stick on a team again? I didn't, but he seems to be playing well for them, and I haven't heard a peep about anything adverse.

whottt
01-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Minny is already rehabbing one: Eddie Griffin. Did anyone think HE would ever stick on a team again? I didn't, but he seems to be playing well for them, and I haven't heard a peep about anything adverse.

He's obviously had a tremendous positive impact on their chemistry.

timvp
01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Pop and the Spurs have a theory that if you have a team of nice guys, you can handle one loon. That is why Pop once signed Vernon Maxwell. That is why the Spurs went after Stephen Jackson this summer. If you put someone like Qyntel around a bunch of pros, it will rub off on him.

Or at least that's the theory.

boutons
01-26-2005, 04:28 PM
yeah, Minny isn't exactly one big happy family getting happy results. but they're obviously better than a lot of other screwed up teams, eg, Portland, so much talent, so little results.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Woods initially pleaded innocent in April of 2003 to possession of less than an ounce of marijuana, speeding, driving while uninsured and operating a motor vehicle without a driver's license.

One thing that I don't get is why so many NBA players don't have car insurance. That's so odd to me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Griffin's been great in Minnesota, it's the hasbeens (Cassell, Spree) that make up their back court, along with Flip's sorry coaching, that is the problem.

jalbre6
01-26-2005, 05:12 PM
One thing that I don't get is why so many NBA players don't have car insurance. That's so odd to me.

The other is how so many get caught driving drunk. DWI+professional athlete=media embarassment. If you make that much money, why don't you pay someone to drive you around?

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Why? Qyntel isn't a big. Why would they have him active?

If they're picking him up, it seems to me that their purpose would be to have him come off the bench as insurance to guard long 3's.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 05:26 PM
yet another bull session about nothing. woods signs with heat

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Possibly a panic move after hearing of the Spurs' interest?

Who knows.

Now... How to trade for Artest.... (I kid.)

smeagol
01-26-2005, 06:05 PM
You don't need to convince me of the inhmanity of dogfighting. Where I remain unconvinced, however, is the assertion that the Spurs should avoid him like the plague. If he is any sort of problem for team chemistry, he can be dropped easily. If he's not, it will be good for the team and, more importantly, good for him.
I would avoid such a character like the plague. The Spurs should too. Good thing the Heat took him on board.