PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry - is he retiring at the end of the season?

missmyzte
05-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I saw him at the game tonight, I said, "You realize this is probably the last game I'll ever see you play in."

He responded, "Why is that?"
"Because you're retiring...."
"No I'm not."
At that my jaw dropped open. "Really, you're not retiring??"
"I hadn't planned on it."

I stuck around for the post-game and asked him again. As he was giving me a hug ( :eyebrows ) I asked him, "So you're serious? You're really not retiring?" Again he said, "I hadn't planned on it." I responded, "Good." Which made him smile.

So that's my big news, RoHo plans to stick around another season and see how many more playoff records he can beat. :clap If he was just messing with me and does retire, I'm gonna be MAD....

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 12:08 AM
he's like Strom Thurmond - 5 more seasons!

Medvedenko
05-24-2008, 12:08 AM
He's had a great run.

Russ
05-24-2008, 12:20 AM
As long as someone will pay Horry, he'll keep playing (as would anyone in that position).

I do not think, however, it will be with the Spurs.

Commissioner Stern
05-24-2008, 12:21 AM
He shouldn't retire. You see him nailing those 3s tonight? Damn. Homie can still shoot.

You see him grab those rebounds? It's like he's on a pogo stick.

You see him run that break? Like a 20 year old.

Keep going Rob! Get that extension w/ the spurs homie!!!

TMTTRIO
05-24-2008, 12:24 AM
That's cool Misti. I'm glad he's going to be sticking around a little while longer and I'm glad that you'll be around too :).

Whisky Dog
05-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Surely he won't be with the Spurs. Unless he really, really comes up huge really quickly I don't know why anyone would sign him to actually play minutes anywhere. I applaud his career, but everyone runs out of gas. Jordan was shit his last season too, compared to what he was before.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 12:30 AM
what dirty move will Rob try to pull in this series? slapping Kobe's hand?

duncan228
05-24-2008, 12:31 AM
That's so cool. I'm thrilled you got to talk to him. Thanks for bringing us the news.

JamStone
05-24-2008, 12:32 AM
I think Robert Horry retired after last season.

baseline bum
05-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Surely he won't be with the Spurs. Unless he really, really comes up huge really quickly I don't know why anyone would sign him to actually play minutes anywhere. I applaud his career, but everyone runs out of gas. Jordan was shit his last season too, compared to what he was before.

I'd gamble on Rob another year for the minimum. Dude missed training camp, the first month of the season, and he wasn't healthy all season. We'd have nothing to lose bringing him back as an 11th or 12th man. I'd still rather play Rob than Bonner.

T Park
05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
As long as Robert Horry wants to play, you keep playing him.

Game 7 against New Orleans proved hes still got it.

BruceLeeBowen
05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Good, bring horry back. Bring back stoudamire. Bring back barry.

bigdog
05-24-2008, 01:21 AM
If he does come back, I don't think it will be with the Spurs. I think the coaching staff and front office have seen enough of our aging frontcourt this season to know not to bring him back. He plays good once in a blue moon, then returns to SUCK status again. I love Horry, and he's had a great career in his own rights, but I don't think he can do much for any team except foul.

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:49 AM
All these Lakers fans busting on Horry - the second one of their guys leaves, he was a scrub and the biggest piece of shit ever.

Great fans, Lakers! :tu

mojorizen7
05-24-2008, 02:07 AM
I don't come here to troll, those that know me know i respect your board but........... i hope Horry comes back for a second straight pathetic season.:toast

samikeyp
05-24-2008, 02:09 AM
He needs to.

Septic
05-24-2008, 02:48 AM
I hope he retires after game 2's 3rd quarter. We're done with your Horry, time to move on.

polandprzem
05-24-2008, 05:17 AM
As long as Robert Horry wants to play, you keep playing him.

Game 7 against New Orleans proved hes still got it.

Got what?

He had 2 good games all season long

he really got it :jack

dav4463
05-24-2008, 05:55 AM
For what he did in the finals against Detroit, Robert Horry can stay on my team as long as he wants to stay.

Zee Laker
05-24-2008, 06:34 AM
All these Lakers fans busting on Horry - the second one of their guys leaves, he was a scrub and the biggest piece of shit ever.

Great fans, Lakers! :tu

not true

Lakers fans still love Caron Butler. Still like Mo Evans. The only ex Laker that is truly hated is Smush.

We dont hate Horry, 95% still love him for his time with the Lakers. The other 5% are too young to remember those days :lol

I think people just think he is too old to be effective anymore.

As long as someone will pay Horry, he'll keep playing (as would anyone in that position).

I do not think, however, it will be with the Spurs.

umm he will only get the Vet min at this stage in his career. He has earned over 50 mil from basketball so far. Why would he need to play for 700k? does he need to feed his kids or something?

If big shot Bob decide to play one more season then it wont be because of money. Well thats what i think anyway

Bruno
05-24-2008, 06:39 AM
If he still enjoys playing professional basketball and if a team still wants him, he should continue.

I wouldn't mind to see Horry back with Spurs but only in a Massenburg-like role.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-24-2008, 09:20 AM
If he still enjoys playing professional basketball and if a team still wants him, he should continue.

I wouldn't mind to see Horry back with Spurs but only in a Massenburg-like role.

:tu

tsb2000
05-24-2008, 09:52 AM
No offense, but it seemed to me like Horry was playing last night like he was already retired.

SPARKY
05-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Some changes will occur in the frontcourt rotation this summer, especially with Splitter coming in. In addition it doesn't make much sense for Mahinmi to spend another season primarily in Austin. He needs time on a NBA court now. If Horry was amenable to spending most of next season on IR, sure, keep him around one more season.

missmyzte
05-24-2008, 11:15 AM
umm he will only get the Vet min at this stage in his career. He has earned over 50 mil from basketball so far. Why would he need to play for 700k? does he need to feed his kids or something?
I've never talked finances with Horry, but it is entirely possible. Medical care isn't cheap, and if you know anything about his daughter's condition...

manufor3
05-24-2008, 11:17 AM
what dirty move will Rob try to pull in this series? slapping Kobe's hand?

:wakeup:wakeup:wakeup

Spurs Brazil
05-24-2008, 11:51 AM
I think the Spurs will only bring Horry back if Bonner is traded or Thomas walks

Oberto
TD
Tiago
Ian
Bonner?
Thomas?
Horry?

I'd like to have Horry for the vet minimum. He could help the young bigs

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
The only way Horry comes back is if Bonner is traded.
That being said, come back Rob!

jag
05-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I can't believe what's goin on in this thread...i'm perplexed.

When we talk about needing to get younger, when we talk about needing to drop some contracts and open up roster spots...he's at the top of the list.

Sway
05-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I can't believe what's goin on in this thread...i'm perplexed.

When we talk about needing to get younger, when we talk about needing to drop some contracts and open up roster spots...he's at the top of the list.

I agree! I cant believe people are actually hoping that we bring Horry back. Look, they guy was great for us and I am as big a fan as anybody, but its time he retired. If our goal is to get younger and more athletic, Horry should be one of the first to go.

Blackjack
05-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't mind having him back, if for no other reason, the dude can make me laugh no matter how pissed off I am during the game.

Almost missing the backboard on a bank-shot...... Fuckin priceless!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Keep him around on the end of the bench, let him tutor Ian, Splitter, and Sanikidze.

I hope our big man rotation next year is Tim, Oberto, Thomas, Ian, Splitter, and Horry.

(Sanikidze is a 3, for those playing at home).

Bruno
05-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the Spurs will only bring Horry back if Bonner is traded or Thomas walks

Oberto
TD
Tiago
Ian
Bonner?
Thomas?
Horry?

I'd like to have Horry for the vet minimum. He could help the young bigs

To me, it's either Thomas or Horry. Spurs could choose to re-sign either one but I don't want to him taking playing time to a younger player (Splitter, Bonner or Mahinmi).

Spurs will have Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Splitter and Mahinmi under contract next year. I think it's a good PF/C rotation. The only trrouble is that this lineup is full of question marks so Horry or Thomas at the end of the bench could be a good insurance.

SAGambler
05-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Keep him around on the end of the bench, let him tutor Ian, Splitter, and Sanikidze.

I hope our big man rotation next year is Tim, Oberto, Thomas, Ian, Splitter, and Horry.

(Sanikidze is a 3, for those playing at home).

Then hire him as an assistant coach. His playing days are done. No way do we keep him on our roster next season.

Los Spurs
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I've never talked finances with Horry, but it is entirely possible. Medical care isn't cheap, and if you know anything about his daughter's condition...

His daughter Ashlyn in the middle of the pic has a condition something similar to low down syndrome. I didn't know this until a few days ago :(

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/2441401566_72267d3c83.jpg?v=0

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Sorry folks. Like everyone else, I love Robert Horry too. In fact, after the 2005 NBA Finals against the Pistons, I proclaimed "Robert Horry can be a Spurs as long as he wants. He's earned that right". Well, I no longer feel that way. Anyone watching this series can see he's done. His mind and body are not in sync. The Spurs can ill-afford to give away a roster spot to a 38 year-old PF, who is no longer an every game player.

A GM's job is to improve the teams roster - all sentiments aside. If I'm the GM, Horry can come back as a coach, but not a player. It's obvious Duncan is being worn down from playing too many minutes and carrying the burden of too much responsibility on both ends of the court. He's not a 2nd year player anymore. He needs frontcourt help. Splitter and Ian coming in will help, but they need more. They'll need more to counter the bigger frontlines that are emerging in the Western Conference. Look at the frontcourt size of next year's version of the Fakers, Blazers and Rockets.

It's time to turn the page and start adding more productive pieces around the Big Three.

GrandeDavid
05-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I saw him at the game tonight, I said, "You realize this is probably the last game I'll ever see you play in."

"No I'm not."

I stuck around for the post-game and asked him again. As he was giving me a hug ( :eyebrows ) I asked him, "So you're serious? You're really not retiring?" Again he said, "I hadn't planned on it." I responded, "Good." Which made him smile.

So that's my big news, RoHo plans to stick around another season and see how many more playoff records he can beat. :clap If he was just messing with me and does retire, I'm gonna be MAD....

Misti, I´m glad you made the game! I hope to catch another one with you someday. You are the coolest, most level headed, sweetest fan of any NBA team I know. You squash the trolls by your exemplary example.

Avitus1
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I think its time for him to hang up his jersey and get into the role of analyst for TNT or something.

Say-Townbball
05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
I think Robert Horry retired after last season.

Agreed.

SPARKY
05-28-2008, 11:26 AM
His daughter Ashlyn in the middle of the pic has a condition something similar to low down syndrome. I didn't know this until a few days ago :(

It's worse than Down's, IIRC. She needs constant care.

Los Spurs
05-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry folks. Like everyone else, I love Robert Horry too. In fact, after the 2005 NBA Finals against the Pistons, I proclaimed "Robert Horry can be a Spurs as long as he wants. He's earned that right". Well, I no longer feel that way. Anyone watching this series can see he's done. His mind and body are not in sync. The Spurs can ill-afford to give away a roster spot to a 38 year-old PF, who is no longer an every game player.

A GM's job is to improve the teams roster - all sentiments aside. If I'm the GM, Horry can come back as a coach, but not a player. It's obvious Duncan is being worn down from playing too many minutes and carrying the burden of too much responsibility on both ends of the court. He's not a 2nd year player anymore. He needs frontcourt help. Splitter and Ian coming in will help, but they need more. They'll need more to counter the bigger frontlines that are emerging in the Western Conference. Look at the frontcourt size of next year's version of the Fakers, Blazers and Rockets.

It's time to turn the page and start adding more productive pieces around the Big Three.

:tu

Los Spurs
05-28-2008, 11:36 AM
It's worse than Down's, IIRC. She needs constant care.

That's sad :depressed

May God continue to give the Horry's the strength to care for their precious daughter...

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I hope he doesn't come back to the Spurs.

fusionjazzman72
05-28-2008, 12:26 PM
I have a hunch he will not retire and will sign with the Lakers next year.

angel_luv
05-28-2008, 12:42 PM
I have a hunch he will not retire and will sign with the Lakers next year.

He better not!

Stay a Spur or retire, Rob.

koriwhat
05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
isn't dallas where he was talking about going to if nowhere else? i could've sworn i remember hearing something about that but don't quote me on it....

Sway
05-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Horry is a great person and player. Im thankful for all he has done for the Spurs. With that said, it is still time for him to retire.

Man of Steel
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
One more season, Rob.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't mind having him back, if for no other reason, the dude can make me laugh no matter how pissed off I am during the game.

Almost missing the backboard on a bank-shot...... Fuckin priceless!

Remember when Horry took bit one of the Mavs?

Dude knows how to enjoy basketball. I'd only keep Horry because I don't want any other team to sign him up, and I'd rather Horry just retire as a Spur. One Roster spot isn't a big deal.

Plus, Horry's tutelage is invaluable.

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
It's hard to imagine Horry sticking around for another year. The guy is clearly done as an NBA player. He should stick around as a player coach though, he knows the NBA inside and out.

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Remember when Horry took bit one of the Mavs?

Dude knows how to enjoy basketball. I'd only keep Horry because I don't want any other team to sign him up, and I'd rather Horry just retire as a Spur. One Roster spot isn't a big deal.

Plus, Horry's tutelage is invaluable.

Bullshit! Wasted roster spots on older, washed-up, players is part of the reason the Big Three have been so fatigued. School's out on this philosophy. It should be obvious to everyone that the Spurs need solid contributions from their bench players. Rather than guys who show up once a month, like Horry and Finley. If Horry wants to hang around, let him become a coach.

Extra Stout
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
At this point, Robert Horry still may be the best option for a franchise whose front office has gone from diadem to laughingstock.

ipeefreely
05-28-2008, 10:02 PM

"No I'm not."

Robert Horry has become (just like Shaq, his idol) a ring whore, he will take any offer form any team that he thinks he can get another ring from...

he was classy as a laker, but somewhere along the journey he became a RING WHORE>....he sux now he needs to hang it up....

missmyzte
05-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Misti, I´m glad you made the game! I hope to catch another one with you someday. You are the coolest, most level headed, sweetest fan of any NBA team I know. You squash the trolls by your exemplary example.
Wow, that is one of the most complimentary comments anyone has ever made to me. Thanks Grande, you've left me absolutely speechless.
Come to LA, I'll show you how So Cal does a basketball game! :toast

missmyzte
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
It's hard to imagine Horry sticking around for another year. The guy is clearly done as an NBA player. He should stick around as a player coach though, he knows the NBA inside and out.
The article on ESPN yesterday said he wants to play 2 more years.

missmyzte
05-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Robert Horry has become (just like Shaq, his idol) a ring whore, he will take any offer form any team that he thinks he can get another ring from...
There are a couple notable differences:
Horry wouldn't destroy a team and then abandon it mid-season.
Horry plays for winning teams because he is a winner. Shaq tries for championships because he wants to have more rings than specific players (Kobe, Duncan).

p.s. - Shaq isn't his idol. Hakeem was, back in the day.

PlayoffEx-static
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
The article on ESPN yesterday said he wants to play 2 more years.

Players sometimes don't recognize the end. I have loved Robert's whole time here, minus the 2004 playoff run, but he needs to hang up the kicks. Not only is the tank empty, there aren't even any fumes left.

ipeefreely
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
There are a couple notable differences:
Horry wouldn't destroy a team and then abandon it mid-season.
Horry plays for winning teams because he is a winner. Shaq tries for championships because he wants to have more rings than specific players (Kobe, Duncan).

p.s. - Shaq isn't his idol. Hakeem was, back in the day.

He has become a ring whore....plain and simple...Indeed he is very close with Shaq, he sees him do it at Miami/phx and he does it with the Spurms, no different..

OK, Mrs Whorry:lol

Spurtacus
05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
I will always be grateful for the past contributions from Horry. But, he needs to retire. I'm seeing very little out there from him.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Bullshit! Wasted roster spots on older, washed-up, players is part of the reason the Big Three have been so fatigued. School's out on this philosophy. It should be obvious to everyone that the Spurs need solid contributions from their bench players. Rather than guys who show up once a month, like Horry and Finley. If Horry wants to hang around, let him become a coach.
I disagree. Bonner's just as much of a wasted roster spot, and he's under thirty! At least Horry's stock skyrockets in last second situations where the coaches are sweating when they see Pop put Horry on deck. A la game 1, Phil Jackson demanding "don't leave Horry" -- without him we're more predictable and less of a threat.

I do agree that if Horry's concerned about a making money maybe he should get a job as part of the coaching staff. I firmly believe Horry is an exception to the rule.

The KT's, Finley, even reliance on Barry to provide fire power for the second unit should be abandoned. New Orleans series and this current series is a big wake up call.

SenorSpur
05-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I disagree. Bonner's just as much of a wasted roster spot, and he's under thirty! At least Horry's stock skyrockets in last second situations where the coaches are sweating when they see Pop put Horry on deck. A la game 1, Phil Jackson demanding "don't leave Horry" -- without him we're more predictable and less of a threat.

I do agree that if Horry's concerned about a making money maybe he should get a job as part of the coaching staff. I firmly believe Horry is an exception to the rule.

The KT's, Finley, even reliance on Barry to provide fire power for the second unit should be abandoned. New Orleans series and this current series is a big wake up call.

I agree in the Bonner's a wasted roster spot too. Anyone not part of the Big Three and not named Bowen or Udoka, should be evaluated. When you look at the changing landscape of the Western Conference, the Spurs need to begin the compilimentary player infusion NOW. In fact, it should've already started, except they don't have much in the pipeline. Having some veterans as part of the supporting cast is fine. Having an ALL-veteran supporting cast is a flawed strategy - always has been. It's only just now showing up because of the emergence of newly talented opposing teams.

BlackSwordsMan
05-29-2008, 08:41 AM
The way he played this series he looks like he's retired already

urunobili
05-29-2008, 08:55 AM
i have the suspicion he'll go back to the Lakers...