PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Marks' turn to receive the cheering

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Marks' turn to receive the cheering
Web Posted: 01/26/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012605.1C.BKNspurs.marks.44395030.html

The moment was commemorated not by fireworks or flashbulbs, only by the monotone drawl of Arco Arena's public-address announcer: "Sean Marks for Tony Massenburg."

Five small words that were nearly two years in the making.

With 1.7 seconds left in Sunday's third quarter in Sacramento, Marks checked into his first NBA game since March 8, 2003. He didn't leave the floor until the Spurs completed their rout of the Kings, scoring eight points and taking three rebounds in 12-plus minutes.

"I though Sean was really good," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said a day later, "shaking off two years of rust."

Before Sunday, the only time Marks had even pulled on his No. 4 jersey in 1 1/2 seasons with the Spurs was in a handful of exhibition games and the team photo shoot. He was a role player with the most limited of roles: a self-described "practice dummy" for Tim Duncan and Rasho Nesterovic to lean on in workouts.

Not until Nesterovic went on the injured list after spraining his left ankle Friday did a spot open for Marks. As he warmed up Sunday, teammates and coaches congratulated him for his opportunity.

"He's back!" shouted Brett Brown, the Spurs director of player development. "Or should it be, 'He's in!'"

Marks showed off his range by making 22- and 23-foot shots in addition to a 16-foot turnaround. With Robert Horry returning Monday, he was limited to playing the final 17.6 seconds of the loss in Portland.

"Everyone has been rooting me on, which is a great feeling," Marks said. "But you try not to think about it too much like, 'Oh jeepers!' You just go out there and play.

"I mean, this is my job and it's what I love to do."

Until Sunday, Marks had not played in a regular-season NBA game since he tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow near the end of the 2002-03 season when he was with Miami.

Marks was healthy all last season but with veteran center Kevin Willis on the roster was never activated. Still, the Spurs liked enough of what they saw in practice to guarantee his contract for this season. Early last season, when they waived Marks to sign point guard Jason Hart, they re-signed him at their first chance.

"When you're surrounded by a bunch of guys you like and generally you all get along," Marks said, "it's an easy thing to cheer them on."

Marks' sense of humor and professionalism — he is popular with teammates, coaches and front-office staff — fit well, but he has earned an NBA paycheck for one other reason: "The guy can play," Malik Rose said.

Marks showed that in last summer's Olympics, averaging 10.8 points and 7.0 rebounds for New Zealand. He played well the first two weeks of training camp, earning the praise of coaches and teammates.

"He was actually, at that point, one of our more impressive subs," Popovich said.

A back injury, however, shelved Marks for most of the remainder of the preseason. He was healthy once the season started, but, by then, he had fallen behind Massenburg on the team's depth chart.

"That was very disappointing," said Marks, in his sixth NBA season. "I was going in on a high note having played all summer in the Olympics. I was feeling great. My body was feeling fantastic. I was really looking forward to contributing."

Instead, Marks had to wait another three months for his opportunity. He continued to work hard in practice and before games, taking his usual seat behind the team's bench shortly before tipoff. Last week, he showed up at the SBC Center at 3:30 p.m. to begin his workout.

Even Monday, as Marks stretched on the court an hour before tipoff, Massenburg waved him over because he needed someone to defend him as he worked on post-up moves.

"There's definitely been days where I wish I could really get out there," Marks said. "But at the same time, the assistant coaches have done a great job of keeping me fresh and ready to go and making sure I'm improving along the way."

Some of Europe's top teams have long admired Marks' athleticism and size — he's listed anywhere from 6-foot-10 to 7-0 — to the point where he probably could earn a seven-figure salary overseas. For now, however, he's just happy for the opportunity to prove he belongs in the NBA.

"I can cheer on the guys and all that kind of stuff," Marks said. "But it's not like really getting out there and contributing on the court. That's what I've really been looking forward to."

nzkickass
01-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Sean's the man, Go seany go

Dario
01-26-2005, 04:19 AM
So why hasn't he played vs portland? It still makes no sence to me...

boutons
01-26-2005, 05:08 AM
"still makes no sence to me."

nope, "tough" TMass got 1 RB in 16 minutes, and Sean didn't get a chance. strange

SLOVENIAN 8
01-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Ask Pope!!

Dario
01-26-2005, 07:06 AM
"still makes no sence to me."

nope, "tough" TMass got 1 RB in 16 minutes, and Sean didn't get a chance. strange

Tmass is spurs new starter, he just couldn't keep up with all those minutes in back to back games, hes 37 ffs :rolleyes
But still if marks is so good, why not play him...

boutons
01-26-2005, 09:33 AM
So Tony M is out of "game shape", so after playing 30 minutes one night, he's useless the next? Wonderful, "I'll be ready when I'm called"

Then Marks, at 29, is also out of "game shape", would be useless, too. Still doesn't explain why Marks can't be useless for 16 minutes/1 RB the way Tony was.

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Slovenian, I think your gifs in your signature are a little large and slow loading.

T Park
01-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Still doesn't explain why Marks can't be useless for 16 minutes/1 RB the way Tony was

more than likely you dont throw a guy out there whos played a part of 1 game in 2 years into a game thats winnable.

If Pop wouldve known at halftime that the Spurs bigs were gonna be like that, he mightve gone with Marks.

Marks might get time tommarow if Horry is hurt bad enough again.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Marks should have played early and often against Portland.

Pop screwed up.

MosesGuthrie
01-27-2005, 01:09 AM
"What we need...is more Kiwi!"

--Christopher Walken

T Park
01-27-2005, 01:39 AM
"Im cravin, COWBELL!!!"

lmao great find Moses,