PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Know They're In Big Trouble (SI)

duncan228
05-24-2008, 11:58 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/05/24/lakers.spurs.game2/index.html

Spurs know they're in big trouble
Chris Mannix

LOS ANGELES -- The funereal procession out of the San Antonio locker room began about thirty minutes after the final buzzer of its 101-71 loss Friday. With the media clustering around the door, Spurs center Fabricio Oberto emerged first and pushed through the crowd, shaking his head in frustration as he pored over a stat sheet.

A few minutes later Tony Parker stepped out. Parker politely declined a reporter's interview request before shuffling toward the other end of the hallway, a glazed look painted on his face.

Yes, the San Antonio Spurs are in trouble and, for perhaps for the first time in the 2008 playoffs, they know it.

Game 2 of the Western Conference finals was a thorough and complete beatdown. The vaunted Spurs defense allowed the Lakers to shoot a blistering 54.9 percent from the field, while San Antonio connected on 34.5 percent of its own shots. Among the other lowlights for the defending champs: a 26.1 three-point percentage (including an 0-for-4 night from Manu Ginobili), a 50.0 free throw percentage (including an 0-for-4 effort from Tim Duncan) and a 44-36 disadvantage on the backboards.

There were literally no silver linings for San Antonio. Ginobili (2-of-8 overall) is struggling to play through ankle and finger injuries that are serious enough that Spurs coach Gregg Popovich considered sitting the Sixth Man award winner Friday. "We knew it would catch up this game, not last game," said Popovich.

After a solid Game 1, Parker struggled mightily in the face of constant pressure from Derek Fisher and Jordan Farmar and seemed to lose faith in his jump shot as the game progressed.

"I thought Tony was probably a little tentative tonight," said Popovich. "He went to the basket fine, but I thought he had shots and he missed a couple and I thought he just backed away from it. He didn't have the confidence, for whatever reason."

And while Duncan was his usual steady self (12 points, 16 rebounds), he received virtually no help on the glass: Oberto (two rebounds) and Kurt Thomas (one) were non-factors in Game 2, while Lakers forward Lamar Odom was one of five Lakers to pull down at least four rebounds.

"We have to do a better job of helping Timmy out," said Thomas. "We know he can't do it by himself."

While the Spurs continued to speak like they were not overly concerned about falling into an 0-2 hole for the second series in a row -- "We're confident," said Thomas; "It is what it is," said Duncan. "We're either going to turn it around and make this thing into a series or not" -- San Antonio is not facing the same kind of fight as they were with New Orleans, a talented but inexperienced team that lacked a closer the likes of Kobe Bryant, who once again validated his claim that he can "get off anytime," scoring 22 points in a little over three quarters of play. They know they have no answer for Odom, who licks his chops every time he sees Oberto or Thomas chasing him out on the perimeter.

Whatever faith the Spurs have in themselves, they have to realize that climbing out of this hole against the Lakers will be much more difficult than bouncing back against New Orleans. And with only one day to try to figure out the Lakers, the prognosis for their survival is grim.

td4mvp21
05-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Thomas has the right mind set, it would have been nice if Pop had played him last night!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Thomas has the right mind set, it would have been nice if Pop had played him last night!

Agreed, instead we got to watch Robert Horry look old. Way to rely on your vets, Pop.

hater
05-24-2008, 12:19 PM
we were in a lot more trouble being 0-2 to the Hornets. We had so many mismatches. This series is just about making our shots. Much better situation IMO

td4mvp21
05-24-2008, 12:20 PM
This may be 2003 in reverse. We now find ourselves the old veteran team that's been there before down to a pretty young team that's in its first year together being a title contender. The Lakers are still a relatively young team so winning the next two isn't out of the question. Games 5 & 6 would be really really hard to win though. I'll take anything at this point :lol

Emanuel20
05-24-2008, 12:20 PM
we were in a lot more trouble being 0-2 to the Hornets. We had so many mismatches. This series is just about making our shots. Much better situation IMO

Stop flip floping!

hater
05-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Stop flip floping!

who is flip floping you ho?

peskypesky
05-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Pop's coaching choices have made a bad situation worse.

trjons
05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
This may be 2003 in reverse. We now find ourselves the old veteran team that's been there before down to a pretty young team that's in its first year together being a title contender. The Lakers are still a relatively young team so winning the next two isn't out of the question. Games 5 & 6 would be really really hard to win though. I'll take anything at this point :lol

I agree with you. This is 2003 in reverse. The Spurs have matchup problems everywhere.

Popovich may have said he was joking at the time he said he would have vetoed the Gasol trade but don't buy it.

DazedAndConfused
05-24-2008, 12:44 PM
The problem is nobody is coming in to pick up Ginobli's scoring load.

Even during the PHX series I remarked how the Spur's big 3 were contributing to nearly all of SAS's points. If you can stop or slow down one of them the Spurs just can't put up enough points to win a game. Especially not against a good offensive team like the Lakers.

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Even during the PHX series I remarked how the Spur's big 3 were contributing to nearly all of SAS's points. If you can stop or slow down one of them the Spurs just can't put up enough points to win a game. Especially not against a good offensive team like the Lakers.

The problem is.. the Lakers are just better, younger, hungrier. It almost hurts to see the Spur age since I remember when Duncan was drafted after the Spurs tanked a season. The Spurs are yesteday's news.

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 12:57 PM

Games 5 & 6? Try Game 3. :

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Agreed, instead we got to watch Robert Horry look old. Way to rely on your vets, Pop.

You've got your mama's style but you're yesteday's child to me...

TampaDude
05-24-2008, 01:18 PM
The problem is.. the Lakers are just better, younger, hungrier the Spurs age.

+1 The Spurs need a fresh injection of young, athletic players if they wish to remain competitive in the future...teams like the Lakers and Hornets are good models to follow. :toast

td4mvp21
05-24-2008, 01:20 PM

True. The only game our role players have played a significant role in has been Game 7.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2008, 01:26 PM

It's more like 2002. It's even complete with the geriatric swing man (Finley as Terry Porter) that Pop relies on way too much against LA, crazy substitution patterns that don't make any sense, the Lakers packing the lane, the Spurs shooting way too many three pointers, and Phil bitch slapping Pop.

SPARKY
05-24-2008, 01:30 PM
+1 The Spurs need a fresh injection of young, athletic players if they wish to remain competitive in the future...teams like the Lakers and Hornets are good models to follow. :toast

Yeah, it's a shame the Spurs don't have anyone like that on the roster or the draft rights to anyone like that.

MONTENEGRINO
05-24-2008, 01:35 PM
OK, we ARE in big trouble, but BELIEVE this series is far from over. It will be hard as hell, but we can make 2-2, and then...

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Poor Timmy, he needs some help. boohooo. Unfortunately for Thomas, he needs a 29 year old MJ to help out the Spurs!!!!!

ahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 01:53 PM
OK, we ARE in big trouble, but BELIEVE this series is far from over. It will be hard as hell, but we can make 2-2, and then...

Go to the cathedral. Kneel from the start of the opening to the altar. And ask the priest to bless the Spurs. Pray for them. ahahhahahahahhahahahahha!!!!!

spurschick
05-24-2008, 02:00 PM
With the media clustering around the door, Spurs center Fabricio Oberto emerged first and pushed through the crowd, shaking his head in frustration as he pored over a stat sheet.

Did that sheet include the points he could've scored if he had dunked the ball instead of trying to lay it up? How many times do we have to say "DUNK IT RASHO!!!!" ?

SenorSpur
05-24-2008, 02:24 PM
These guys just have to do things the hard way. The Spurs continue to put themselves into unbelievably dire situations. In the previous series versus the Hornets, they were able to summon up the fortitude necessry to dig themselves out of an 0-2 hole. We'll see what they have left in the tank. A tough task for an older team.

SenorSpur
05-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it's a shame the Spurs don't have anyone like that on the roster or the draft rights to anyone like that.

It's hard to beat a younger, quicker team when you can't match their athleticism.

Purple & Gold
05-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Good point. The problem is Phil is coaching the Lakers and not the spurs.

Purple & Gold
05-24-2008, 02:44 PM
It's hard to beat a younger, quicker team when you can't match their athleticism.

I wouldn't even say it's that. The problem is that the spurs can't exploit the Lakers weakness, which is a soft frountcourt. The spurs should be taking advantage of Gasol and Odom playing center and forward. This is on the front office. They continue for whatever reason to make Duncan play the 5 instead of the 4. While he can play center, and is damn good at it, he's better suited as a PF. Gasol is also a PF masquerading as a center, but the spurs don't have the personnel to exploit it. They ask way too much of Duncan. He has to score, rebound, black shots, defend the paint, pass the ball, etc. all by himself. Even a stiff like Kwame would be a great addition for the spurs. The Kurt Thomas trade didn't address this because he's also a PF masquerading as a center. This should be #1 priority for the spurs this offseason. Get Duncan some help down low.

E20
05-24-2008, 02:48 PM
It will be interesting to see what the starting lineup will be in Game 3.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-24-2008, 02:53 PM
What about TD on Odom, and then put KT/Oberto/Horry on Gasol?

TD on Odum:TD is long enough to disrupt Odom's game more than anyone on our team when he takes it to the hole.

KT on Gasol: KT guarded Duncan very well last year, plus he can spread the floor on offense (if he proves he can hit the 15 footer.

Purple & Gold
05-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Gasol will eat up Thomas. But it's worth a shot. As for Horry no way. He's actually half decent against Odom.

SenorSpur
05-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't even say it's that. The problem is that the spurs can't exploit the Lakers weakness, which is a soft frountcourt. The spurs should be taking advantage of Gasol and Odom playing center and forward. This is on the front office. They continue for whatever reason to make Duncan play the 5 instead of the 4. While he can play center, and is damn good at it, he's better suited as a PF. Gasol is also a PF masquerading as a center, but the spurs don't have the personnel to exploit it. They ask way too much of Duncan. He has to score, rebound, black shots, defend the paint, pass the ball, etc. all by himself. Even a stiff like Kwame would be a great addition for the spurs. The Kurt Thomas trade didn't address this because he's also a PF masquerading as a center. This should be #1 priority for the spurs this offseason. Get Duncan some help down low.

Salient point. It's no secret the Duncan spends the majority of his time at the 5 spot in a small-ball lineup. Meanwhile the rest of the time, Pop throws out guys like Oberto, Thomas and Horry to play center. THe problem is each has his own limitations and is usually overmatched against bigger more skilled players because of their own limitations. (If I see Oberto tap out another offensive rebound instead of grabbing it, I'm going to eat through my own skin.) :bang

Like you, I have long believed the Spurs coaches have relied waaaay too much on Duncan to be the hub of the offense and anchor the defense. It is a lot of responsibility and obviously he's been great at it. In fact, Duncan's true greatness has been demonstrated in the years since David Robinson retired. It's amazing that he's been able to handle all these responsibilities, at an all-star-caliber-level, without the benefit solid frontline running mate in the post-Robinson-era.

As you've correctly pointed out, the Spurs do have deficiencies on their frontline that are being exposed by the Fakers. Fortunately those will be addressed this offseason with the additions of Tiago Splitter and Ian Mahinmi. Personally, I'd also like to see them add a guy like Desgana Diop (Nets).

Ronaldo McDonald
05-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Gasol will eat up Thomas. But it's worth a shot. As for Horry no way. He's actually half decent against Odom.

I have a hard time believing Gasol would "eat anyone up", he not that good. Thomas has proved he's an effective defender against Duncan in the past, and obviously TD >>>>>>>>> Gasol.

And it could open up the floor for us on offense if he can hit shots.

Purple & Gold
05-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Salient point. It's no secret the Duncan spends the majority of his time at the 5 spot in a small-ball lineup. Meanwhile the rest of the time, Pop throws out guys like Oberto, Thomas and Horry to play center. THe problem is each has his own limitations and is usually overmatched against bigger more skilled players because of their own limitations. (If I see Oberto tap out another offensive rebound instead of grabbing it, I'm going to eat through my own skin.) :bang

Like you, I have long believed the Spurs coaches have relied waaaay too much on Duncan to be the hub of the offense and anchor the defense. It is a lot of responsibility and obviously he's been great at it. In fact, Duncan's true greatness has been demonstrated in the years since David Robinson retired. It's amazing that he's been able to handle all these responsibilities, at an all-star-caliber-level, without the benefit solid frontline running mate in the post-Robinson-era.

As you've correctly pointed out, the Spurs do have deficiencies on their frontline that are being exposed by the Fakers. Fortunately those will be addressed this offseason with the additions of Tiago Splitter and Ian Mahinmi. Personally, I'd also like to see them add a guy like Desgana Diop (Nets).

I agree it is unfair of what they ask of Duncan. It was a perfect situation when he came into the League getting paired with Robinson. I don't understand why they at least didn't try to recreate that with some type of lesser player. Duncan is the perfect PF and should be used as one. Because of Duncan the spurs frountcourt should be able to dominate against the Lakers. Odom and Gasol defensively are a weakness for the Lakers. Even the Jazz were able to get multiple offensive rebounds. Other than Duncan the spurs are not really a good rebounding team. I mean Parker had 10 rebounds in the first game, the Lakers were able to eliminate those 10 in the second game. Those were a lot of giftwrapped rebounds that the spurs weren't able to make up. The Jazz were able to live on the offensive rebound, the spurs if constructed properly, with a Tim Duncan, should be able to do the same. It's a reason why Bynum wasn't traded for anybody no matter what Kobe said. This is a perfect opportunity for the spurs to do it with an injured Bynum. If they can't capitalize on it now, they never will with the team they have. When Bynum comes back it will be that much harder. I think they will need somebody with a little more NBA experience than Splitter. Diop would be a good fit as would any other player that can hold down some minutes at the 5 and allow Duncan to play the 4 spot.

Purple & Gold
05-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a hard time believing Gasol would "eat anyone up", he not that good. Thomas has proved he's an effective defender against Duncan in the past, and obviously TD >>>>>>>>> Gasol.

Actually Gasol is a very good player. You just don't notice it. He would eat up Thomas, but it's worth a shot. It would definitely help the spurs in the matchup against Odom. I just wonder how many minutes Thomas can play now. When's the last time he logged heavy minutes.

pauls931
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Not if you were a suns fan. I was glad to see him go, overrated. He probably still has nightmares about Duncan torturing him years back.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Thomas on Gasol and Td on Odom >>>>>> TD on Gasol and Oberto/Thomas/Horry on Odum.

Perhaps you just haven't noticed that Thomas is a more than capable post defender, whose physicality would definitely disrupt Gasol's essentially soft post game.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-24-2008, 03:49 PM
We'll see what works and what doesn't for game 3.

pauls931
05-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Thomas on Gasol and Td on Odom >>>>>> TD on Gasol and Oberto/Thomas/Horry on Odum.

Perhaps you just haven't noticed that Thomas is a more than capable post defender, whose physicality would definitely disrupt Gasol's essentially soft post game.

I'll agree Gasol is MUCH softer than Duncan. He thrives because the defense gets distracted by Kobe and forgets about him.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd like to see how Gasol reacts to KT's physicality, and Odum to Duncan's length.

lefty
05-24-2008, 04:18 PM
JV, Findog, Bonner, Horry and Oberto

Bob Lanier
05-24-2008, 04:31 PM
and whose lack of footspeed would give him no ability to disrupt Gasol's drop step and isolation game.

AztecPrincss
05-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Awwwh cmon guys..Same old same old the spurs are old blah blah yall wer saying the same shiet when the spurs wer playin the hornets cmon lets wait and see the outcome..Dont catch your chickens before they hatch..GO SPURS GO! I BELIEVE!!!

AztecPrincss
05-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Opss! I meant to say count ! jajajaja XD

GrandeDavid
05-24-2008, 07:07 PM
The sun will be shining again on the Spurs fans by late Tuesday when the series is 2-2. And this won't be any harder to get out of than New Orleans. That's a bullshit take.

Lakers Dynasty
05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
The sun will be shining again on the Spurs fans by late Tuesday when the series is 2-2. And this won't be any harder to get out of than New Orleans. That's a bullshit take.

You just about had to take a bus to get out of New Orleans.
How much harder do you want?

They could actually make it easier on themselves by simply skipping the travel back to Los Angeles. 4-0.

http://www.nba.com/media/playoffs2008/horryduncan_627_080523.jpg

mrspurs
05-24-2008, 07:27 PM
it would be nice to have elson instead of thomas...at 36 6'9 and slow as a speed bump imo elson would help alot more...help with fab as well...but someone thought letting beno go(who could shoot the 3 and is a proven backup point with experience) and replacing him with a short, no shooting, turnover making, 4'11 38yr old mighty mouse then followed it by letting go of the only 7'0ter we had(once again proven backup center with experience)......thats how we will live...win or lose......go spurs go

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2008, 06:43 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/AZTEC_PRINCSS_07/Mar028-177-1.jpg

Hi there... :eyebrows

Don Quixote
05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I saw her first.

Hi there... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smieyebrow.gif . Name's Quixote. My friend's name is Rosinante.