PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Lakers Game 2

timvp
05-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Another series. Another 0-2 deficit. After blowing a 20-point lead in Game 1 against the Los Angeles Lakers, the Spurs didn’t put up much of a fight in Game 2. With the contest tied at 37-37 near the end of the first half, the Lakers went on a 9-0 run and never looked back. By the time the game mercifully ended, the Lakers had destroyed the Spurs 101-71.

For a young team that doesn’t have that much experience, the Lakers played about as good as humanly possible. All 11 players who went on the court for Los Angeles performed well. From Kobe Bryant all the way down, the Lakers were very, very good. Phil Jackson is coaching better than ever and the Lakers are playing better than any team in basketball right now.

The Spurs, on the other hand, played about as poorly as possible. Not one player had a good game. Both the offense and the defense were pathetic. With the way the Spurs played, I don’t know if they could have beaten any team in the NBA. The Lakers definitely deserve credit but the Spurs also played a major role in their own demise.

I don’t believe in making excuses during the playoffs but anyone who watched the Spurs play could see they are fatigued. I don’t know if they are physically fatigued or mentally fatigued, but San Antonio just didn’t have any juice in their battery.

In Game 1, I don’t think that game had too much to do with fatigue. The Spurs were running on adrenaline after their Game 7 victory and I think more than anything the players and the coaches just choked. In Game 2, it looked like everything caught up to the Spurs and they just didn’t have the needed energy.

Overall, it was a disappointing loss, to say the least. The Spurs now have to look to make history for the second straight series.

-Tim Duncan played decently. In 32 minutes, he had 12 points, 16 rebounds, four assists and only one turnover, while shooting 6-for-14 from the field. In terms of energy and effort, Duncan was one of the few bright spots. However, if Duncan is getting absolutely no help, there’s no way he can beat the Lakers by himself. I thought his determination waned, especially in the second half, but it was understandable with how the Spurs were getting destroyed. On the whole, I think Duncan’s play in the first two games of the series has been good to see. He struggled against the New Orleans Hornets but he has shown he’s capable of dominating in this series. Whether the Spurs will give him enough help to allow his domination to mean anything is the main question right now.

-Manu Ginobili had his second straight sub par game. He went scoreless in the first half and was generally just ineffective. On the night, Ginobili had seven points, two rebounds and hit 2-of-8 shots from the field. While he definitely didn’t play well, I do think he played a lot better than he did in Game 1. His defense was better, his decision making was better and he showed a few glimpses of athleticism in the second half. It seems as if the media is trying to place the blame on Ginobili for the Game 2 loss and that’s totally laughable. Ginobili only played 23 minutes and by the time he got rolling, the Spurs were already too far in a hole. He cleaned up a lot of his Game 1 errors and I was happy with the way he competed. Ginobili is obviously either hurt, fatigued, not playing well or a combination of the three but it’s unfair to blame the first two losses on him. I’m fully confident Ginobili will rise above and figure it out for Game 3.

-I was extremely disappointed in Tony Parker’s play in Game 2. It was obvious that Ginobili and the role players weren’t playing well early on but Parker never picked up his game. For the Spurs to beat the Lakers, Parker is going to have to play at a superstar level. In Game 2, he got outplayed by Derek Fisher. That’s unacceptable right now if the Spurs want to survive the Lakers. Parker is usually a competitive player but he seemed to just roll over and die in Game 2. From here on out, Parker needs to play with more heart and will to win. He’s the youngster of the squad and needs to elevate his game when everyone else is playing poorly – not join them.

-Bruce Bowen was powerless to stop Bryant in Game 2. He defended pretty well but Bryant was better. Bryant caught fire in the last 18 minutes of Game 1 and that rolled right into Game 2. Between Los Angeles and San Antonio, Bowen needs to figure out a way to stop Bryant from looking like the purple and gold version of Michael Jordan. I do like how Bowen is keeping Bryant off of the line but he needs to somehow also harass his jumper. Giving Bryant his jumper right now isn’t going to work – and that’s what Bowen is trying to do. The good news is that the problem seems to be more tactical than anything else. Bowen and the Spurs need to adjust and force Bryant into areas of the court he’s not comfortable. Offensively, Bowen was good enough as he scored eight points on 3-for-5 shooting from the floor.

-Michael Finley started and played 21 minutes as Pop elected to move Ginobili to the bench. Finley responded with another dud. He scored eight points on 3-for-9 shooting and provided no defense, rebounding or anything else that could have assisted his team. That said, he did play a lot better than Game 1 – so hopefully he’s headed in the right direction. Playing horribly pathetic to playing like crap is an upgrade, after all.

-I guess Game 1 was a mirage when it came to Fabricio Oberto. In Game 1, he looked capable of defending Lamar Odom. In Game 2, Odom destroyed him and Oberto was ineffective in just about every aspect of the game. In 22 minutes, he had four points, two rebounds and hit just 2-of-7 shots from the court. It was a bad time for Oberto to play his worst game of the playoffs.

-Jacque Vaughn played 17 minutes and didn’t help matters. The bad news is the Spurs look like they’ll be stuck playing Vaughn the rest of the series. In the first two rounds of the playoffs, Bowen could just switch over and become the defensive point guard when Parker went to the bench. In this series, Bowen has to be glued to Bryant – so Vaughn has to be used as the backup point guard. If Ginobili is used as the backup point guard, he’d have to defend the Lakers point guard – which obviously wouldn’t help any fatigue issues he may be having. Vaughn will just need to play better and somehow spark the team.

-Brent Barry played 16 minutes and was pretty decent. The problem with Barry is his injured calf has limited his mobility to the point he can’t defend. Offensively he’d be extremely helpful. Maybe Pop will go with Barry and live with his defense – but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

-Ime Udoka played 16 minutes and was once again erratic and showed poor shot selection. Udoka teased Spurs fans by playing great at the end of the Hornets series. He now seems to have regressed back to the untamed version of Udoka we saw during the regular season and the Suns series. He finished Game 2 with six points, five rebounds and three assists, but shot just 2-for-8 from the field. His lack of athleticism doesn’t make him a great match against these Lakers.

-Robert Horry played 14 minutes and did more harm than good. Although he played pretty good defense, he missed all five of his shots offensively and appeared to be a step slower than usual. It’s tough to say whether the Spurs should keep playing him or if they should look for another option.

-Kurt Thomas only played nine minutes and doesn’t look like a player who will be too helpful against the Lakers. His lack of mobility makes it impossible for Pop to play Thomas and Duncan at the same time. In theory Thomas would do well against Pau Gasol – but that hasn’t really proven to be true on the court.

-Damon Stoudamire played nine minutes of garbage time and responded by going 0-for-5. At least he didn’t try to make any waves by actually making a shot.

-Pop definitely has his work cut out for him. The Spurs got run out of the building and are now staring at playoff elimination. Pop has a fatigued team that is at a major speed and athleticism disadvantage against the Lakers – and the fatigue is making those disadvantages worse.

It’s tough to be too critical of Pop when it was the players who didn’t show up. Unlike Game 1, a few coaching moves weren’t going to save the Spurs on this night. Perhaps Pop’s pep talks could use work but other than that, Game 2 doesn’t fall on his shoulders.

In the Hornets series, Pop made the needed adjustments between Game 2 and Game 3 – and those adjustments ended up working perfectly. The Spurs were able to dig themselves out of the 0-2 hole because they basically scrapped their original gameplan for a totally different gameplan.

Against the Lakers, it’s not that simple. There are no glaring strategic mistakes being made by the Spurs. That said, I do think the Spurs need to make some changes before Game 3:

1. Establish Duncan early. Against the Hornets, the Spurs got away from relying on Duncan for offense. In this series, they need to get back to playing through Duncan. The Lakers don’t have anyone who can guard him and Duncan can hopefully put the Lakers in foul trouble early.

2. Keep the pace slow. This goes hand in hand with establishing Duncan. If Duncan is dominating in the low blocks, the Lakers can’t get out and run. However, on the other hand, the Spurs need to run off of the Lakers’ turnovers and any long rebounds.

3. Parker has to attack. In this series, Parker needs to take over. If he’s not shooting 20+ times per game, he’s not doing his job. He has a quickness advantage against everyone on the Lakers. Even if he’s missing at the rim, Duncan is by far the best rebounder on the court and can score off of Parker’s misses.

4. Start Ginobili. I know Ginobili isn’t 100% but Pop has to start him. As lame as it sounds, the Spurs need to avoid the Ginobili versus Sasha Vujacic matchup. Ginobili can score against Vladimir Radmanovic. Additionally, Ginobili needs a good start at home to get him flowing back in the right direction.

5. Cut down the rotation. The Spurs need to go back to a seven or eight man rotation. In the first couple games, Pop has used a ten or eleven man rotation – and that’s just too many players. Pick your two or three bench players and let’s roll, Pop.

6. Make Bryant work. The Spurs are allowing him too many easy jumpers so far in the series. Make Bryant dribble and create on the move. His jumper is automatic right now and then that fuels the rest of his game. He doesn’t make many mistakes these days but when he does, it’s almost always when he’s on the move.

7. Transition defense. When the Lakers go on runs, it’s usually initiated by fast break points. Los Angeles will get a dunk or a three-pointer on the fast break and then the floodgates will open. The Spurs need to get back on defense and force the Lakers to beat them in a halfcourt setting.

8. Rebound. The Lakers are bigger but the Spurs have the ability to dominate the glass. Lost in the wreckage of Game 2 is the great job the Spurs did on the defensive glass. That needs to remain a factor in the Spurs' favor.

9. Keep shooting. The Spurs need to knock down shots to win this series. Hesitating is worse than a missed shot, especially versus the swarming defense of the Lakers. Let it fly.

10. Keep the faith. This obstacle looks difficult but all the Spurs need to do is take Game 3 and then this will be a series again. Put the Lakers on their heels. Show them some adversity. When it's all lollipops and daisies, it's impossible to stop these Lakers. But let's see what happens if the hit a bump in the road.

The bottomline is the Spurs are in a familiar hole. It’s going to be difficult but I think this Spurs team can do it. They’ve played their best during adverse situations all season long.

Get up off the mat. Get Game 3. And then we'll truly see what both teams are made of when times aren't easy.

Believe.

samikeyp
05-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Well said. :toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3806/faith1tt0.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Nice work, timvp. :tu

Admidave50
05-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I've been waiting for this for a long time, you're the voice of reason in this time of crisis where most of the people have gone crazy here.

If Manu gets healthier, we're more than capable of beating the Lakers. People tend to forget that we almost win in Game 1 despite of Manu's poor performance.

I expect Tony and Manu to be much more aggressive in the next two games!

phxspurfan
05-24-2008, 10:47 PM
gg

(next one, that is).

urunobili
05-24-2008, 11:21 PM
thanks as always timvp... i thought your pointers for game 3 are key...

duncan228
05-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the calm, sane thoughts timvp.

IllegalAmigo
05-24-2008, 11:27 PM
So in other words, the Spurs still have a chance?

Ok.

(What a long-winded, rhetoric-lovin' Ho)

phxspurfan
05-24-2008, 11:31 PM
4. Start Ginobili. I know Ginobili isn’t 100% but Pop has to start him. As lame as it sounds, the Spurs need to avoid the Ginobili versus Sasha Vujacic matchup. Ginobili can score against Vladimir Radmanovic. Additionally, Ginobili needs a good start at home to get him flowing back in the right direction.

I agree with this one, and thought the Spurs should never have put Manu back on the bench. When I thought about it a bit, I figured Pop was anticipating a letdown game for Manu due to fatigue. But if Pop continues to keep Ginobili from getting starter minutes, we will lose because of lack of firepower. I say start Ginobili as well -- if you're going to lose, might as well lose with your best players playing the minutes, and not your scrubs.

Killakobe81
05-24-2008, 11:37 PM
great recap dont listen to the illogical Laker fans that was a fair, honest assessment of game 2 with great thoughts on game 3 I expect the next 3 games to be wars ...like Game 1 ... if lakers can steal one at SA than i say La in if not it's going 7 and that would favor you guys but i dont see Kobe letting us lose this series ...

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Bowen was powerless. Got to love it. The Lakers are a team. They play as a team. How do you expect Bowen to stop a team?

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 11:43 PM
great recap dont listen to the illogical Laker fans that was a fair, honest assessment of game 2 with great thoughts on game 3 I expect the next 3 games to be wars ...like Game 1 ... if lakers can steal one at SA than i say La in if not it's going 7 and that would favor you guys but i dont see Kobe letting us lose this series ...

I too have a lot of respect for the Spurs because of what they've accomplished over the years too. The Spurs just have no clue how to stop the Lakers. One game in San Antonio... That's the best they will do.

aka_USAPA
05-24-2008, 11:46 PM
BTW, timvp is a very knowledgeable poster.

LakeShow
05-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Good Post! :toast

LavaLamp
05-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Great post as usual timvp.

How do you reconcile the seeming fatigue and lethargy with your recommendation for an 8-man rotation?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Yup, that's the ticket. :tu

The only thing I disagree with you about concerns game 1. Sure, there was an element of choke, but the collapse also looked like fatigue to me. They had all the energy in the world in the first half then hit a brick wall about 6 mins into the third.

Anyway, finger's crossed for tomorrow! :ihit

PS aka USAPA BTW, it's timvp and Kori's site! And yes, the hombre knows basketball. :toast

timvp
05-25-2008, 12:41 AM
How do you reconcile the seeming fatigue and lethargy with your recommendation for an 8-man rotation?Good question and that's what makes this situation tough. The Spurs are fatigued but they can't win this series without fighting through that fatigue. Either the Spurs catch a second wind somehow or they're done.

If Pop tries to make it a matchup of both team's ten-man rotations, the Lakers will win because they're deeper. The Big Three plus Bowen are all going to have to play 35+ minutes if the Spurs have a chance.

As great as Kobe is these days, the two things I feared most coming into this series were fatigue and Phil Jackson. I still have to rate those as the two things standing between the Spurs and the Finals.

tlongII
05-25-2008, 12:45 AM
This series is over. Five games max. The Lakers have Parker figured out. They are daring him to shoot the jumper and then collapsing on him when he drives. With Parker and Ginobili both ineffective the Spurs have absolutely no chance.

timvp
05-25-2008, 12:46 AM
The only thing I disagree with you about concerns game 1. Sure, there was an element of choke, but the collapse also looked like fatigue to me. They had all the energy in the world in the first half then hit a brick wall about 6 mins into the third.You might be right but I just don't see it that way. It's not like the Spurs went from doing good and then slowing ran out of gas.

The Spurs were doing good and then Pop took Bowen out of the game. At that moment, the Lakers went on a 14-0 run in like three minutes. That run was due to Pop's error and the team panicking, IMO. I don't believe that all of a sudden at six minutes the Spurs got tired out of the blue.

Maybe the Spurs didn't have the needed energy to come back late in Game 1 but it looked more to me to be a continuation of their stagnated play which began when they panicked in the third. Plus, their defense remained pretty good in Game 1 and a tired team can't play solid defense into the fourth. Game 2, on the other hand, the Spurs just didn't have it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-25-2008, 12:56 AM
You're right that the collapse was triggered when Bowen sat. AHF nearly had a stroke in the game thread, and I was thinking "WTF are you doing Pop?"

It just seemed to me that they were a step slow from there on in - every loose ball went to the Lakers, rotations were slow, they couldn't get to the rack, etc. At the time I thought it was the inevitable letdown from the huge game 7 win in NO, combined with the travel, lack of quality sleep and quick turnaround. You might be right. It's academic at this point anyway.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-25-2008, 01:16 AM
-Kurt Thomas only played nine minutes and doesn’t look like a player who will be too helpful against the Lakers. His lack of mobility makes it impossible for Pop to play Thomas and Duncan at the same time. In theory Thomas would do well against Pau Gasol – but that hasn’t really proven to be true on the court.

an average of 6.5 minutes hardly proves this fact.

jman3000
05-25-2008, 01:17 AM
i'd kill for a 4 day lay off like the one the spurs had before game 7... jesus.

polandprzem
05-25-2008, 01:40 AM
I wanted to add many things in here, but I'd rather stay short.
Spurs played like amateurs, nuff said. They were killed!

And I would like to ask you, if anybody of you saw the movie Kill Bill, I guess most of you as it was classic Tarantino.

What happened in that movie?

The main character was killed, well at least it was what (the killers) thought.
She somehow came back with revange and with the vengance.

So I say

KILL PHIL!

And I would appreciate the photoshop

heymanooh1
05-25-2008, 02:15 AM
1. Establish Duncan early. Against the Hornets, the Spurs got away from relying on Duncan for offense. In this series, they need to get back to playing through Duncan. The Lakers don’t have anyone who can guard him and Duncan can hopefully put the Lakers in foul trouble early.

2. Keep the pace slow. This goes hand in hand with establishing Duncan. If Duncan is dominating in the low blocks, the Lakers can’t get out and run. However, on the other hand, the Spurs need to run off of the Lakers’ turnovers and any long rebounds.

3. Parker has to attack. In this series, Parker needs to take over. If he’s not shooting 20+ times per game, he’s not doing his job. He has a quickness advantage against everyone on the Lakers. Even if he’s missing at the rim, Duncan is by far the best rebounder on the court and can score off of Parker’s misses.

5. Cut down the rotation. The Spurs need to go back to a seven or eight man rotation. In the first couple games, Pop has used a ten or eleven man rotation – and that’s just too many players. Pick your two or three bench players and let’s roll, Pop.

6. Make Bryant work. The Spurs are allowing him too many easy jumpers so far in the series. Make Bryant dribble and create on the move. His jumper is automatic right now and then that fuels the rest of his game. He doesn’t make many mistakes these days but when he does, it’s almost always when he’s on the move.

7. Transition defense. When the Lakers go on runs, it’s usually initiated by fast break points. Los Angeles will get a dunk or a three-pointer on the fast break and then the floodgates will open. The Spurs need to get back on defense and force the Lakers to beat them in a halfcourt setting.

8. Rebound. The Lakers are bigger but the Spurs have the ability to dominate the glass. Lost in the wreckage of Game 2 is the great job the Spurs did on the defensive glass. That needs to remain a factor in the Spurs' favor.

9. Keep shooting. The Spurs need to knock down shots to win this series. Hesitating is worse than a missed shot, especially versus the swarming defense of the Lakers. Let it fly.

10. Keep the faith. This obstacle looks difficult but all the Spurs need to do is take Game 3 and then this will be a series again. Put the Lakers on their heels. Show them some adversity. When it's all lollipops and daisies, it's impossible to stop these Lakers. But let's see what happens if the hit a bump in the road.1. That didn't work out too well in game 1 now did it smart guy. Lakers only need to stop 2 of 3 in Parker, Duncan and Ginobili. Where are the other Spurs points going to come from if nobody from the team comes to show up which has been the case in the first 2 games?

2. Lakers only run when opportunity is presented. The triangle offense is based on timing and rhythm in a half-court set. 4 of the Laker starters are excellent passers and know how to run the triangle, with Radmanovic being suspect. The Lakers are the most efficient scoring team in the NBA i.e., they got the most points for every possession on offense. That's been consistent throughout the whole season, playoffs and it's not going to change any time soon.

3. Parker will stop going into the lane once he gets bitchslapped hard a couple of times. He will then settle for jumpers and won't set up other Spurs as much which plays into the Lakers hands.

4. Please look at game 1 again. mmmk thx 'bye.

5. Spurs are an old, slow and tired team. So you want fewer Spurs to play more minutes against a younger, quicker, more athletic and deeper Lakers team? Good logic there Sherlock.

6. Refer to the 1st half of game 1.

7. Refer to 4

8. The Jazz outrebounded the Lakers 5/6 games and the Spurs outrebounded the Lakers in game 1. The Jazz have gone fishing for the summer and the Spurs are down 2-0.

9. Please do. The Spurs haven't outscored the Lakers yet and the Lakers have proven they can slug it out as in a low scoring affair like game 1. If the series against the Hornets and the first 2 games against the Lakers are any indication of Spurs shooting prowess i.e., having long stretches without scoring, the Spurs will get smoked yet again. If the Lakers get out in front by double digits in game 3 and sustain it for any significant length of time, the series is over 'cause the Lakers actually play defense unlike the Suns.

10. You're smoking crack if you thought game 1 was lollipops and daisies for the Lakers. Desperate times lead to desperate measures from desperate people. The actions of desperate people will lead to many mistakes from which the Lakers will undoubtedly take advantage. The Lakers are well-coached and well-prepared against the Spurs. Losing a game or two against the Spurs won't faze the Lakers because just about every player on the roster paid his dues during the 2005-06 & 2006-07 playoffs. Those losses have galvanized this particular Laker TEAM. And having the best closer helps. Sorry, your prayers aren't getting answered.

This Laker team isn't going to get blown out in the playoffs. They have shown they can come back from huge deficits whether playing at home (vs Spurs game 1) or away (vs Jazz game 4). If game 3 is close and the Spurs win, they will have over-exerted themselves too much. The Lakers will then pounce and finish the series.

florige
05-25-2008, 10:16 AM
1. That didn't work out too well in game 1 now did it smart guy. Lakers only need to stop 2 of 3 in Parker, Duncan and Ginobili. Where are the other Spurs points going to come from if nobody from the team comes to show up which has been the case in the first 2 games?

2. Lakers only run when opportunity is presented. The triangle offense is based on timing and rhythm in a half-court set. 4 of the Laker starters are excellent passers and know how to run the triangle, with Radmanovic being suspect. The Lakers are the most efficient scoring team in the NBA i.e., they got the most points for every possession on offense. That's been consistent throughout the whole season, playoffs and it's not going to change any time soon.

3. Parker will stop going into the lane once he gets bitchslapped hard a couple of times. He will then settle for jumpers and won't set up other Spurs as much which plays into the Lakers hands.

4. Please look at game 1 again. mmmk thx 'bye.

5. Spurs are an old, slow and tired team. So you want fewer Spurs to play more minutes against a younger, quicker, more athletic and deeper Lakers team? Good logic there Sherlock.

6. Refer to the 1st half of game 1.

7. Refer to 4

8. The Jazz outrebounded the Lakers 5/6 games and the Spurs outrebounded the Lakers in game 1. The Jazz have gone fishing for the summer and the Spurs are down 2-0.

9. Please do. The Spurs haven't outscored the Lakers yet and the Lakers have proven they can slug it out as in a low scoring affair like game 1. If the series against the Hornets and the first 2 games against the Lakers are any indication of Spurs shooting prowess i.e., having long stretches without scoring, the Spurs will get smoked yet again. If the Lakers get out in front by double digits in game 3 and sustain it for any significant length of time, the series is over 'cause the Lakers actually play defense unlike the Suns.

10. You're smoking crack if you thought game 1 was lollipops and daisies for the Lakers. Desperate times lead to desperate measures from desperate people. The actions of desperate people will lead to many mistakes from which the Lakers will undoubtedly take advantage. The Lakers are well-coached and well-prepared against the Spurs. Losing a game or two against the Spurs won't faze the Lakers because just about every player on the roster paid his dues during the 2005-06 & 2006-07 playoffs. Those losses have galvanized this particular Laker TEAM. And having the best closer helps. Sorry, your prayers aren't getting answered.

This Laker team isn't going to get blown out in the playoffs. They have shown they can come back from huge deficits whether playing at home (vs Spurs game 1) or away (vs Jazz game 4). If game 3 is close and the Spurs win, they will have over-exerted themselves too much. The Lakers will then pounce and finish the series.

Dude STFU!! These are his game thoughts. It doesn't mean you have to come here with your lame comments that are borderline retarded to try and justisfy your points. I tell you, you trolls are the worst I have ever seen on here hands down! And the funny thing is, most of you trash talking retards will be nowhere to be found if we happen to win this series.

Anyway that thing about Finley was freakin hillarious by the way...:lol

JamStone
05-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Bowen and the Spurs need to adjust and force Bryant into areas of the court he’s not comfortable.

Scary thing about Kobe when he's playing at the level he's capable of, there really aren't areas on the court he's not comfortable.

DarrinS
05-25-2008, 10:31 AM
So in other words, the Spurs still have a chance?

Ok.

(What a long-winded, rhetoric-lovin' Ho)

Every fanbase has its douchebags, but the douchebaggery in the Lakers camp is disproportionately high.

florige
05-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Every fanbase has its douchebags, but the douchebaggery in the Lakers camp is disproportionately high.

I don't know who are worse, Lakers fans or Yankee fans....:lol
Freakin crazy!!

florige
05-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Scary thing about Kobe when he's playing at the level he's capable of, there really aren't areas on the court he's not comfortable.

We might have to let Kobe just go off as crazy as that may sound. Bowen just plays him as best as he can. Hopefully he gets pissed off and doesn;t involve his teammates at all. We can't live with that line from the other night with everyone else with 15+ too.

1Parker1
05-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I think it's unfortunate the Spurs had to wait to play the Lakers last.

If the Spurs had played them a little earlier, when they weren't so fatigued and didn't have to play them every other night with no rest, this could have been a series.

I will say this though, Lakers are looking like they're going to OWN the West in the coming years with Bynum back. Not to mention Portland with Oden and the Hornets now with playoff experience.

DarrinS
05-25-2008, 10:39 AM
We might have to let Kobe just go off as crazy as that may sound. Bowen just plays him as best as he can. Hopefully he gets pissed off and doesn;t involve his teammates at all. We can't live with that line from the other night with everyone else with 15+ too.

There's not really anyone in the NBA that can shut down Kobe (that I know of). I'd like to see Bruce get a little physical with him. I know he's trying to keep Kobe off the stripe, but he's got to discourage him in some way.

1Parker1
05-25-2008, 10:39 AM
PS. I just hate, hate, hate, hate that this is happening against the Lakers and Phil Jackson/Kobe :pctoss

DarrinS
05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
PS. I just hate, hate, hate, hate that this is happening against the Lakers and Phil Jackson/Kobe :pctoss

Why? LA is a great sports down (boo'ed their team in game one). And Kobe is a great role model (blew up his team, charged with rape, demanded to be traded). And Phil Jackson is a genius (any coach could win with Jordan/Pippen, Kobe/Snaq). And, they're always great sportsmen and respectful of other teams. :rolleyes

florige
05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
There's not really anyone in the NBA that can shut down Kobe (that I know of). I'd like to see Bruce get a little physical with him. I know he's trying to keep Kobe off the stripe, but he's got to discourage him in some way.

Exactly just make him work for everything. He is giving him waaay to much room on that jumper that has become automatic during the playoffs. We have to get Kobe to start forcing some bad shots. Obviously like any other superstar, the Laker guys feed of of whatever Kobe is doing and it gives them confidence. And so far, the refs are letting them play for the most part. But that will probably change once we take a game or two and Jackson starts crying to the media and the refs.... I just think in the long run it would benefit us alot more if we can stop the other guys and make LA one dimensional again with Kobe taking most of the shots.

florige
05-25-2008, 10:45 AM

1Parker1, after I didn't see you on the boards yesterday I was worried that you went postal on something...:lol

boutons_
05-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Tim/Pop's s best, last chance for repeat looks very far over the horizon.

They've got to win 4 of 5, with 2 in LA, a Mt Everest of a task.

It's possible, but the fatigue, more mental/emotional than physical, after the first two tough series, esp the 0-2 comeback, appears to be unsurmountable.

The Lakers, all excited about making it to WCF, have all the energy and momentum. They will be very motivated to go 3-0 Sunday and move on to the Finals.

Going 2-2 would really bring Lakers back to earth, like coming back to 3-3 vs Hornets did.

nfg3
05-25-2008, 11:05 AM
:tu as usual.

We really have an uphill battle on our hands.

If we don't find the energy then we're toast. :bang

Pop said it in Game 2 - 'Manu is not Manu" and that concerns me. Wether or not he can find his mojo is big for us.

Big 3 have to play like the big 3 we've all come to know.

Our role players have to make shots.

Believe.

:flag:

florige
05-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Hearing Manu say what he said the other day gives me all the confidence in the world that he is going to come out swinging tonight.

Mr.Franchize
05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Why? LA is a great sports down (boo'ed their team in game one). And Kobe is a great role model (blew up his team, charged with rape, demanded to be traded). And Phil Jackson is a genius (any coach could win with Jordan/Pippen, Kobe/Snaq). And, they're always great sportsmen and respectful of other teams. :rolleyes

just for the record detroit got booed by its fans last night.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Tim/Pop's s best, last chance for repeat looks very far over the horizon.

They've got to win 4 of 5, with 2 in LA, a Mt Everest of a task.

It's possible, but the fatigue, more mental/emotional than physical, after the first two tough series, esp the 0-2 comeback, appears to be unsurmountable.

The Lakers, all excited about making it to WCF, have all the energy and momentum. They will be very motivated to go 3-0 Sunday and move on to the Finals.

Going 2-2 would really bring Lakers back to earth, like coming back to 3-3 vs Hornets did.

LA won their first two home games. Now the onus is on the Spurs to do the same. If they don't, the series is over by Game 5. Otherwise, we'll have yet another high stakes Spurs-Lakers Game 5.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Mav, Sun, and Hornet Fan were some fairly stiff competition.

florige
05-25-2008, 11:24 AM
just for the record i think it's funny that it only took three or so years for posters to forget how shitty the lakers trolls were

I wasn't here back then. But I remember there were crap loads of them on the CBS message board. All of them disappeared after the Spurs left Fisher and Kobe in tears in 05...:lol I'm guessing it was the same around here as well.

cobbler
05-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Hmmmmmmm... The team was down 20 and playing lethargic. The crowd boo'ed their effort and they responded with a HUGE comeback. Im sure you hollier than thou Spurs fans have never boo'ed your team. Yeah right.

Role Model? He's a friggen basketball player. If your looking for your role models amoungst professional sports figures, then its you who should take a step back and get your priorities in order. The role model cop out is pathetic. Hes a basketball player and the best in the world at that. Blew up his team? Again, and seeing as how you look to pro sports guys to be you role models, i can see why you would buy into all the media BS. Kobe did not break up the team. The owner is the only one who can, and did. Charged with rape is correct. CHARGED. And if the girl hadn't had a history of being a sleezeball druggie who had 3 guys semen in her panties as she was calling rape, not bragged about being with him, and wasnt soooooo distraught that she had to go out and get laid again the next day, hey she might have gotten away with her scam. Demanded to be traded? You arent serious are you? You act like thats a rare occurance. It happens everyday in pro sports. Look at the results of the demand. The front office stepped up. Role players spent their summers in the Gym rather than vacationing etc etc etc. And now we are kicking your asses, again! What an ass that he wants to win so bad that he thinks his organization and teamates should give 100%.

Any coach could win with Jordan/pippen or shaq/kobe? Hmmmm. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you spit out this dribble. The bulls had jordan for 3 years and pippen/jordan for 3 more with Doug Collins as thier coach. They won nada. Only when Jackson came about did things click and they went on their championship runs. Ditto for LA. They had Shaq/Kobe for 3years under Del Harris... NADA. When PJ arrived...they gelled into a three peat. What a lame comment. Good coaches need good players to win and vice versa. So are you saying, POP had nothing to do with your championships? Any coach could win with Robinson/Duncan or Duncan/Manu? You sell your great coach short with that theory. Oh... let me guess, that theory only applies to PJ.

And to top it all off, you talk about respecting other teams as the final sentence of several paragraphs of DISRESPECTING another team. Talk about hypocritical.

Your just a hater and haters hate regardless of the facts.

timvp
05-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Scary thing about Kobe when he's playing at the level he's capable of, there really aren't areas on the court he's not comfortable.True. I do not deny that Kobe is comfortable in court.

timvp
05-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Hmmmmmmm... The team was down 20 and playing lethargic. The crowd boo'ed their effort and they responded with a HUGE comeback. Im sure you hollier than thou Spurs fans have never boo'ed your team. Yeah right.

Role Model? He's a friggen basketball player. If your looking for your role models amoungst professional sports figures, then its you who should take a step back and get your priorities in order. The role model cop out is pathetic. Hes a basketball player and the best in the world at that. Blew up his team? Again, and seeing as how you look to pro sports guys to be you role models, i can see why you would buy into all the media BS. Kobe did not break up the team. The owner is the only one who can, and did. Charged with rape is correct. CHARGED. And if the girl hadn't had a history of being a sleezeball druggie who had 3 guys semen in her panties as she was calling rape, not bragged about being with him, and wasnt soooooo distraught that she had to go out and get laid again the next day, hey she might have gotten away with her scam. Demanded to be traded? You arent serious are you? You act like thats a rare occurance. It happens everyday in pro sports. Look at the results of the demand. The front office stepped up. Role players spent their summers in the Gym rather than vacationing etc etc etc. And now we are kicking your asses, again! What an ass that he wants to win so bad that he thinks his organization and teamates should give 100%.

Any coach could win with Jordan/pippen or shaq/kobe? Hmmmm. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you spit out this dribble. The bulls had jordan for 3 years and pippen/jordan for 3 more with Doug Collins as thier coach. They won nada. Only when Jackson came about did things click and they went on their championship runs. Ditto for LA. They had Shaq/Kobe for 3years under Del Harris... NADA. When PJ arrived...they gelled into a three peat. What a lame comment. Good coaches need good players to win and vice versa. So are you saying, POP had nothing to do with your championships? Any coach could win with Robinson/Duncan or Duncan/Manu? You sell your great coach short with that theory. Oh... let me guess, that theory only applies to PJ.

And to top it all off, you talk about respecting other teams as the final sentence of several paragraphs of DISRESPECTING another team. Talk about hypocritical.

Your just a hater and haters hate regardless of the facts.:cry

The team you root for is littered with drama queens. They're damn good at basketball but drama queens nonetheless.

Don't get all emo because someone points it out.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-25-2008, 12:49 PM
True. I do not deny that Kobe is comfortable in court.

Was that pun intended? :spin

Trainwreck2100
05-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Another series another barrage of missed threes

heymanooh1
05-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Dude STFU!!Make me. The concept of a public forum is lost on you :lol

Lakers Dynasty
05-25-2008, 01:22 PM
From Dumb and Dumber

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjEwMDg1MjcxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYwNjYyMQ@@._ V1._SY140_SX100_.jpg http://www.imdb.com/rg/photos-name/summary/media/rm1796118016/nm0000452

1Parker1
05-25-2008, 01:31 PM
1Parker1, after I didn't see you on the boards yesterday I was worried that you went postal on something...:lol

:lmao No, I've actually gone to praying for the Spurs at this point.

cobbler
05-25-2008, 01:32 PM
:cry

The team you root for is littered with drama queens. They're damn good at basketball but drama queens nonetheless.

Don't get all emo because someone points it out.

And that matters why? I could care less if they are drama queens as long as we win. But to call out PJ as just any coach is just plain ignorant. It's always comes to this. When you cant hang on the court, you attack the character of the players off it, the coaches, the fanbase, the ownership, trade scenarios etc. It's what losers do.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Just remember to boo them after they fall down by 20 tonight :tu

timvp
05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
And that matters why? I could care less if they are drama queens as long as we win. Exactly. So wipe away the tears. Kobe went emo in the summer. That's enough emoing for one basketball team and fanbase.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 01:42 PM
And that matters why? I could care less if they are drama queens as long as we win. But to call out PJ as just any coach is just plain ignorant. It's always comes to this. When you cant hang on the court, you attack the character of the players off it, the coaches, the fanbase, the ownership, trade scenarios etc. It's what losers do.

Nah, "losers" troll.

1Parker1
05-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Against the Hornets, it was easy for the Spurs to make the right adjustments; Switch Bowen on Peja to shut down at lease one of the their top 3 players, insert Ginobili into the starting lineup, switch up the defenses on CP3 to give him different looks, hit their perimeter shots.

Against this Lakers team though, the adjustments aren't just a matter of Spurs hitting their perimeter shots. Spurs haven't shown the ability to slow down Kobe. Bruce is doing an admirable job on him, but what Kobe said in his postgame still rings true; He knows he can "get his shot of at any time." And Spurs have no answer for Lamar Odom either.

One good thing the Spurs have done is sort of contain Pau Gasol. Spurs need to make a consious effort to shut down guys like Fisher, Vuijic, Radmonivic, and Farmar. Make Kobe take volume shots. It's easier said than done though.

cobbler
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Nah, "losers" troll.

Nah, extreme losers pull out the "troll" card when they have nothing of value to post or cannot make a valid argument.

TheZackAttack!
05-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Other than Duncan, nobody else is contributing. WTF Parker? You look disinterested. Manu, sixth man of the year, getting owned by sasha. Thats when you know hell is freezing over. Bowen and Oberto aren't scorers. Finley, Udoka, Barry, Horry, and Stoudamire also look disinterested. So the Laker can allow 2 players to roam defensively and help out where ever needed because we are basically playing 2 on 5.....We lose either game 3 or 4 at home we are done. These collapses, like game 1, have caught up to us. Let's see that championship heart Spurs. Even up the series and go from there.