01-26-2005, 12:05 PM
per WOAI news...

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Next, President of the United States.

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
As well she should be.
Now I hope she grows some juevos to stand up to Bush when his judgement is clearly wrong. Can she take it like Powell did?

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Come on now Neo..even you don't believe that.

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Why isn't it plausible?

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 12:10 PM
not only is it plausible for very possible but I don't think you really believe it.
Could it be a cat fight for the White House in '08?

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 12:14 PM
not only is it plausible for very possible...

Wha?

Well, she's my first choice anyway. After Bush, the field doesn't look very reassuring. Bill Frist would be my second choice. Everyone else just pales to Bush IMO.

travis2
01-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Next, President of the United States.

Can you imagine a Rice/Hutchinson ticket?

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 12:20 PM
What about Rice/Frist?

I'll take Rice/Hutchinson, you betcha

travis2
01-26-2005, 12:22 PM
What about Rice/Frist?

I'll take Rice/Hutchinson, you betcha

Rice/Frist would be just fine too...

I was just thinking what the feminists would scream...:lol

BTW...I heard the final count was 85-13

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
If only Condi would start signaling that she's interested. When asked, she's real flat about the prospect and then jokes about being the next NFL Commish. I hope in the next year or two she gets serious and start positioning herself for a run. Does she realize the support she'll get?

travis2
01-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Senate confirms Rice as secretary of state (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6862922/)
Thirteen senators oppose nomination over Iraq policy

BREAKING NEWS
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:20 p.m. ET Jan. 26, 2005

WASHINGTON - Condoleezza Rice won easy confirmation Wednesday to be President Bush's new secretary of state, despite strong dissent from a small group of Democrats who said she shares blame for mistakes and war deaths in Iraq.

The Senate voted 85 to 13 to confirm Rice, who succeeds Colin Powell as America's top diplomat and becomes the first black woman to hold the job. Twelve Democrats and one independent voted against Rice’s nomination.

Republican leaders had predicted easy confirmation for Rice, 50, who surved as Bush's national security adviser during his first term.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., predicted before the vote that Rice would have “an overwhelming majority” of votes. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., cautioned against “inflammatory rhetoric that is designed merely to create partisan advantage or to settle partisan scores.”

Lugar is chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, which recommended confirmation last week with a 16-2 vote.

During Rice’s nomination debate Tuesday, one of the most outspoken Democrats was Mark Dayton, D-Minn., who described her as a liar and an apologist for Bush administration failures in Iraq.

“I don’t like impugning anyone’s integrity, but I really don’t like being lied to,” he said. “Repeatedly, flagrantly, intentionally.”

Politicians rarely use the word “lie,” preferring some of the milder terms other Democrats used Tuesday.

“There was no reason to go to war in Iraq when we did, the way we did and for the false reasons we were given,” said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass.

Rice is not directly responsible for intelligence failures before the Iraq war that overestimated Saddam’s nuclear capability, said Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich. “But she is responsible for her own distortions and exaggerations of the intelligence which was provided to her,” Levin said.

“Dr. Rice is responsible for some of the most overblown rhetoric that the administration used to scare the American people,” Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., said.

The Senate set aside most of the day Tuesday to debate the Rice nomination after Democrats revolted against a plan to confirm Rice last week, on the same day that Bush took his oath for a second term.

“We should have been done last week,” Frist said. “I was disappointed that we are having to march through the debate today. But ultimately the vote will occur.”

Republicans who took the floor to endorse Rice included Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., who has been a sometime critic of the Bush administration’s Iraq policies.

“Dr. Rice has the intelligence, the integrity and the experience for this job. She has the president’s confidence,” Hagel said.

In his dealings with Rice, “she’s always been candid and honest, and she listened,” Hagel said.

Rice answered 199 questions during two days of hearings before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last week, Lugar said. She answered almost as many in writing, a record nearly unmatched by other Cabinet nominees through history, Lugar said.

Democrats on the committee and off it, however, said Rice dodged hard questions.

Democrats, in the minority in Congress, often resort to delaying what they cannot defeat.

Byrd, the longest-serving Democratic senator and a student of the Constitution, insisted that his party is merely doing its duty.

“I am particularly dismayed by criticism I have read that Senate Democrats by insisting on having the opportunity to debate this nomination have somehow been engaged in nothing more substantial than petty politics or partisan delaying tactics,” Byrd said, his voice rising in anger.

dcole50
01-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Why isn't it plausible?
first african american and first female at the same time? plus, she is not without her critics.

jalbre6
01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I thought Condi was pretty serious about wanting to be the NFL commissioner. But I guess if you're in a favorable climate to get to the Oval Office, you'd better do it.

Does Dubya still talk about running MLB after '08?

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 01:03 PM
first african american and first female at the same time?
Hear this all the time, but I just don't buy it. If the next four years go relatively to plan, Condi would roll up on any Democratic opponent.

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Wha?

Well, she's my first choice anyway. After Bush, the field doesn't look very reassuring. Bill Frist would be my second choice. Everyone else just pales to Bush IMO.

What about Newt? Or the bad ass Senator John McCain?

Shirley there has to be some some big neo-cons you favor?

It'll be interesting as the conservative republicans begin their slight attacks on Bush's policies...first Newt and now even Pat Robertson is starting to say negative things about his beloved Dubya.

It's going to be very interesting indeed.

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Travis, the democrats were doing their job.

travis2
01-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Travis, the democrats were doing their job.

What are you referring to? :wtf

Spurminator
01-26-2005, 01:31 PM
plus, she is not without her critics.

Well, that eliminates her then.

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, that eliminates her then.
:lol No kidding.

If Condi doesn't have a presidential run in her, then I'll take Frist. Don't know after that.

Love Newt, but too much baggage. Have you heard that he might run? I haven't heard anything remotely suggesting that.

McCain? Lukewarm. Very lukewarm. Lot of pro-life momentum going right now. Would hate to see McCain come crashing down on that parade.

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
What are you referring to? :wtf

It is their job to question Condi. If not then why even bother to have confirmation hearings? Are they just suppose to say "Hello Condi!", give her a high five and move on?
It is this process of "checks and balances" that make up the process.
That was what I was referring to.

Neo-Con..republicans who have their eye on the White House are not going to publicly say anything at this point. It is too early.
But I think those who do are already preparing their stategeries.

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Yes, but they give signals, and leave it up to you to read between the lines, like Rudy and McCain and others.

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Do you think Rudy will put his name out there?
And will conservatives vote for a man known to have affairs?...alledgedly.

And don't tell me you and Yonivore don't read between the lines??!! :) :)

jalbre6
01-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Do you think Rudy will put his name out there?
And will conservatives vote for a man known to have affairs?...alledgedly.

Joe, at one time I thought he was going to be the Republican candidate in '08. Hell, I thought he might have replaced Cheney on the last ticket. 9-11 will be six and a half years gone when it's time to campaign next. That's a lot of time to dig up more dirt on Rudy, who's 1st marriage had been annulled by the Catholic Church when he claimed he had not realized his first wife was his second cousin when they wed. Then he immediately married Donna Hanover, who most think he was sleeping with toward the end of his first marriage, which lasted 16-17 years until Judy Nathan (I think) came along and the NYC tabloids went nuts.

I don't think that the religious right is gonna buy all that.

NeoConIV
01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Rudy is about at the rock bottom of my list for Prez candidates, though still remains very high on my most admired list...

Ocotillo
01-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Rudy would get killed in the Repub primaries. He's nothing more than a toady to trot out for PR purposes. He is pro-choice after all.

Ocotillo
01-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Frist is a shell, nothing but an empty suit given his place by the Bushies. He won't get much further than Lamar Alexander did.

Ocotillo
01-26-2005, 11:04 PM
McCain will be too old by 08 to be a serious candidate.

Ocotillo
01-26-2005, 11:05 PM
It's Jeb. Bush mafia controls the party now.

Hook Dem
01-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Rudy would get killed in the Repub primaries. He's nothing more than a toady to trot out for PR purposes. He is pro-choice after all.
You're an opinionated little rascal aren't you?

JoeChalupa
01-26-2005, 11:14 PM
I hope McCain runs again and kicks all their asses.

Hook Dem
01-26-2005, 11:19 PM
I hope McCain runs again and kicks all their asses.
Stay on your side of the fence Joe! No Trespassing. :lol

Ocotillo
01-26-2005, 11:39 PM
;)

travis2
01-27-2005, 08:00 AM
It is their job to question Condi. If not then why even bother to have confirmation hearings? Are they just suppose to say "Hello Condi!", give her a high five and move on?
It is this process of "checks and balances" that make up the process.
That was what I was referring to.

Neo-Con..republicans who have their eye on the White House are not going to publicly say anything at this point. It is too early.
But I think those who do are already preparing their stategeries.

I never said anything about the interrogation...all I did was post an MSNBC article.

But since you brought it up...I think your party once again showed its true colors with the despicable way they treated Dr. Rice.

Questioning is one thing. I have no problem with questioning. But even you have to admit that Barbara Bitch and her cronies went WAY over the line.

And WTF is this bullshit about sending out fundraising letters tied to her shameful performance? Talk about low...

Alas, it's nothing new from the Democratic Party...

Yonivore
01-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Another gem from BlameBush.com

Condoskeeza; All Attitude, no Gratitude

Hooray, Hoorah and Whoopdee-doo; Condoskeeza Rice is our new SECRETary of LIES, thanks to a few DINO cowards in congress. Frankly, I find it remarkable that she only got 13 nay votes, considering how obstructive and evasive she was during the entire comfirmation procedure. She failed to provide the desired answers to any of Joe Biden's questions. Then she refused to take the blame for the quagmire our babykilling troops are hopelessly trapped in thanks to Bush's headlong rush to war based on lies and exaggerations.

As one of the key warmongers planning the illegal invasion of Iraq, why did she fail to predict Abu Ghraib, and all the other horrible mistakes that have been made? There's simply no excuse for allowing such blunders to happen, as they're all listed right there on the Democrat Party website. She could have logged on at anytime and 750,000 innocent Iraqis would be alive today. Instead, she chose to sacrifice the truth for the sake of politics. She skipped out on her responsibilities, and now she attacks the democrats for doing their Constitutional duty to bloviate loudly and shower her with soundbite-sized insults.

DOESN'T SHE KNOW HOW MUCH SENATOR BOXER HAS DONE FOR HER PEOPLE? Like loving parents, democrats have always fought to provide the black community with the tools they need to survive in a white dominated world. Yet instead of gratitude, she gives them attitude. I understand that she's a mind-numbed lapdog for the Shrub, but she had no call talking to Senator Boxer the way she did. And although he wasn't in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, she never shows one ounce of respect for the esteemed Senator Robert Byrd, either. A staunch defender of minority rights with a 30 year record of accepting blacks as human beings, Byrd has recently eased his opinion of race mongrels and jews as well. Glaring at him whenever he greets her as "little missy" is unprofessional and shows a complete lack of respect for the only folks keeping Republicans from throwing her people back into bondage.

Personally, I don't think she's very bright. You can tell by the way she gave Richard Clarke that vacant stare when he came running down the hall screaming 'Al QAEDA IS GOING TO FLY PLANES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER ON SEPTEMBER 11TH!!!!" that she isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, even with the college education democrats provided her. She's certainly not the sort of person I'd want as Secretary of State.

But I'm sure she learned a valuable lesson today. She can call herself an indepedent woman and self-made success all she wants, but everything she is and everything she will ever be comes only through the good graces of the democrat party. Perhaps in the future, Bush's token minority appointments will show a little less sass and more fawning gratitude for those who made them who they are.

Hook Dem
01-27-2005, 10:25 AM
"Questioning is one thing. I have no problem with questioning. But even you have to admit that Barbara Bitch and her cronies went WAY over the line." .................................................. Save your breath Travis! Demos have no time for facts!

MannyIsGod
01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
What gets me the most, is the idiocy that people still spout off about one party being more "evil" or less "nice" than the other.

They're both shitty, so stop acting like your pile of shit smells like roses.

NeoConIV
01-27-2005, 05:27 PM
What gets me the most, is the idiocy that people still spout off about one party being more "evil" or less "nice" than the other.

They're both shitty, so stop acting like your pile of shit smells like roses.
You are absolutely entitled to that opinion. I don't agree with it. Sure I come from a different viewpoint, but if you don't think the holocaust of the unborn, the slaughterhouses of the most innocent is not evil...I think to be fully cognizant of what abortion is, and then to get behind it heart and soul is evil. My viewpoint. I can rest that debate on this issue alone.

I do agree with you on the premise that the parties are both made up of alot of money grubbing politicos looking out for #1....but I don't believe for a second the equivelance of the parties policy platform, morally or intellectually. It's NOT a two card monty as Michael Savage likes to profess. Didn't the last election prove this?