PDA

View Full Version : tlong's Steamin' Heap o' Facts!

tlongII
01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Venus is upside down.

Hitler was a Mickey Mouse fan.

Rats can't throw up.

"Ignoramus" is latin for "we do not know."

Jimmy Durante had his nose insured for $140,000.

A jiffy is 1/100th of a second.

In 1891, British seamon James Bartley spent two days in a whale's stomach after being swallowed alive - and then lived another 35 years to tell about it.

There are at least 2,000 convicted killers walking the streets of New York City.

Novelists live longer than playwrights.

Migraines are most likely to strike on Mondays.

The last man on the moon was astronaut Eugene Cernan, commander of Apollo 17, in December 1972.

The average person will eat 66,000 pounds of food in his or her lifetime. (probably more if you live in San Antonio)

60 percent of Americans can name all Three Stooges.

The four things a man must do in his life to demonstrate his manhood, according to Ernest Hemingway: plant a tree, fight a bull, write a book, and have a son.

The name of the poem that appears on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty is "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus.

The Green Hornet was The Lone Ranger's great grand-nephew.

If you spit from a standing position and it freezes before hitting the ground, it's at least 40 degrees below zero (fahrenheit).

The kid on the Cracker Jack box is named Robert.

The Mayflower was dismantled by the pilgrims and turned into a barn.

travis2
01-26-2005, 12:14 PM
If you spit from a standing position and it freezes before hitting the ground, it's at least 40 degrees below zero (fahrenheit).

Actually, in this case, the scale is irrelevant.

-40F = -40C

Jimcs50
01-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Scientifically that depends on one's height.

TD's would freeze at 30 below zero.

Sequ's would not freeze until it got to 120 below zero.

:)

exstatic
01-26-2005, 01:29 PM
60 percent of Americans can name all Three Stooges.

There were six members of the Three Stooges. Most people would remember three or four.

exstatic
01-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Venus is upside down.

For now. The Earth also 'switches' polarity from time to time, too.

travis2
01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Ah, but Venus rotates in the opposite direction of Earth. Even when the Earth's magnetic field swaps ends, the rotation referenced to the solar ecliptic doesn't change.

ALVAREZ6
01-26-2005, 01:34 PM
There are at least 2,000 convicted killers walking the streets of New York City.

Awesome.....

Samurai Jane
01-26-2005, 02:00 PM
There were six members of the Three Stooges. Most people would remember three or four.

I remember 5.. Larry, Moe, Curly, Curly Joe, Shemp... Don't remember the other guy...

Dre_7
01-26-2005, 02:15 PM
In 1891, British seamon James Bartley spent two days in a whale's stomach after being swallowed alive - and then lived another 35 years to tell about it.

So the Bible story about Jonah is possible.

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 02:31 PM
So the Bible story about Jonah is possible.

Except for the God part. :lol

exstatic
01-26-2005, 02:39 PM
SJ - Joe Besser (http://www.threestooges.com/bios/bios.asp?intStoogeID=5)

Travis, you're right. I had forgotten about that. How do you think that happened? Venus is the only one that rotates like that. Large meteor strike? Close encounter with a wandering celestial body?

Dre_7
01-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Except for the God part. :lol

But thats just your opinion.

Samurai Jane
01-26-2005, 02:51 PM

Travis, you're right. I had forgotten about that. How do you think that happened? Venus is the only one that rotates like that. Large meteor strike? Close encounter with a wandering celestial body?

Well it certainly wasn't the Big Bang, that would violate the conservation of angular momentum. :spin

travis2
01-26-2005, 02:55 PM

I don't think anyone knows for sure at this point....but it would appear the most popular explanation is a big whack.

From http://www.astro.lsa.umich.edu/users/cowley/lecture26/ :

"The standard explanations for the retrograde rotation of Venus and Uranus are two big whacks. To my knowledge, detailed calculations, such as those carried out for the earth-moon system have not yet been made for Venus. Presumably this situation will change, since we need plausible answers to the questions:

How plausible is it that a whack so large as to cause the rotational axis of a planet to reverse would leave the axis of rotation nearly perpendicular to the orbital plane?

What happened to the debris from the big whack? Why didn't a satellite form? "

Samurai Jane
01-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't think anyone knows for sure at this point....but it would appear the most popular explanation is a big whack.

From http://www.astro.lsa.umich.edu/users/cowley/lecture26/ :

"The standard explanations for the retrograde rotation of Venus and Uranus are two big whacks. To my knowledge, detailed calculations, such as those carried out for the earth-moon system have not yet been made for Venus. Presumably this situation will change, since we need plausible answers to the questions:

How plausible is it that a whack so large as to cause the rotational axis of a planet to reverse would leave the axis of rotation nearly perpendicular to the orbital plane?

What happened to the debris from the big whack? Why didn't a satellite form? "

A big whack? Is that a scientific term? :spin

What's the odds that 2 planets would get hit by 2 big whacks?

travis2
01-26-2005, 03:04 PM
A big whack? Is that a scientific term? :spin
Yes :p

What's the odds that 2 planets would get hit by 2 big whacks?

Depends on how much crap there is in the space around Venus and Uranus to deliver said whacks...

Jimcs50
01-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Because WOMEN are from Venus and they fucked everything up.

:)

tlongII
01-26-2005, 03:50 PM

Actually this is considered a scientific impossibility and is widely believed to be a hoax.

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 03:52 PM
They had an experiment on Myth Busters about how cold it would have to be to piss in the air and have it freeze before it hits the ground. They got the temp down to -95 degrees Celsius and it still didn't freeze.

Samurai Jane
01-26-2005, 03:57 PM
They had an experiment on Myth Busters about how cold it would have to be to piss in the air and have it freeze before it hits the ground. They got the temp down to -95 degrees Celsius and it still didn't freeze.

:lol That's a good show. Although I liked it better when it was just Jamie and Adam.

Drachen
01-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Actually this is considered a scientific impossibility and is widely believed to be a hoax.

I had something really funny to say here, but I dont want to hijack your thread into the political forum.

Dre_7
01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
:lol That's a good show. Although I liked it better when it was just Jamie and Adam.

I havent watched it in a while. They have new hosts???
WHAT THE HELL!??!?!?!?!

Samurai Jane
01-26-2005, 05:10 PM
I havent watched it in a while. They have new hosts???
WHAT THE HELL!??!?!?!?!

No but they added on some assistants, I guess they would be called.