PDA

View Full Version : Could Mike D'Antoni be unwilling to coach defense?

Bob Lanier
05-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Cheapass Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf thinks so. :wow

Reinsdorf Believes Focus On 'D' Scared D'Antoni
May 24, 2008 - 4:53 pm
The Chicago Sun-Times -
Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf believes that one of the reasons coach Mike D'Antoni decided against joining the team was the team's focus on defense, according to The Chicago Sun-Times.

"The Knicks told him they loved him, and they rushed him like you rush for a fraternity, and we hadn't made up our minds," Reinsdorf told WMVP-AM (1000) in Chicago. "Is that indecisive? It may be, but this is a pretty important hire. This is a very important hire, particularly the way the Lottery worked out [with the Bulls getting the first draft pick]. I think it's only appropriate that we take our time. He said there was no rush, by the way. Then the next morning he went to the Knicks."

Reinsdorf recounted the conversation during the interview.

"The third thing [during the conversation] was the one knock on you is your teams don't play defense," Reinsdorf explained, recounting his interview with D'Antoni. "He said 'We haven't played much defense with the Suns because of the personnel we had. I did not think this team could defend.' "

" 'If you come to Chicago, the only way I see this wouldn't work out would be if we didn't play defense the way you say we're going to play defense,' " Reinsdorf told D'Antoni. "And then I think that scared him. I think that was the closer for the Knicks."

Burn531
05-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Maybe he doesn't know how to teach it.

PacerFan
05-25-2008, 05:34 PM
For the record, the Suns lost to the Spurs this season because of crappy offense, not defense for a change.

ducks
05-26-2008, 12:06 AM
really
suns could not stop the pick and roll
that was D not o

PacerFan
05-26-2008, 09:16 AM
No, look at the last five minutes of a few games. It was careless Suns turnovers that cost them.

pawe
05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
AFAIK the suns' O was great. Bonehead decision making by D'antoni cost them the series. (LB and Diaw getting extended minutes)

RonMexico
05-27-2008, 01:02 PM
AFAIK the suns' O was great. Bonehead decision making by D'antoni cost them the series. (LB and Diaw getting extended minutes)

And LB/Diaw getting the nod to take the last shots at end of regulation and OT in Game 1.