PDA

View Full Version : Bowen Has to Stop...

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Flopping when Kobe gives him a little nudge with his shoulder/elbow/forearm...the refs will never give him the benefit of the doubt in that instance and he winds up giving Bryant open jumpers while he stumbles to the ground.

Other than that he and the rest of the team really clamped down on the Lakers as the game went on. The old game plan of defending L.A. finally came to fruition: Let Kobe try to play the role of hero in the 4th (provided it doesn't come back to bite you in the ass) while the rest of his ball-starved teammates slowly fade out-of-rhythm.

Good show. :toast

Lake_show
05-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Kobe really pisses me off when he wants to wait until the 4th quarter to take over and dominate the game.

SRJ
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Agreed - all he's doing is giving Kobe space.

peskypesky
05-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Flopping when Kobe gives him a little nudge with his shoulder/elbow/forearm...the refs will never give him the benefit of the doubt in that instance and he winds up giving Bryant open jumpers while he stumbles to the ground.

Other than that he and the rest of the team really clamped down on the Lakers as the game went on. The old game plan of defending L.A. finally came to fruition: Let Kobe try to play the role of hero in the 4th (provided it doesn't come back to bite you in the ass) while the rest of his ball-starved teammates slowly fade out-of-rhythm.

I agree with you about Bowen. He needs to stand up and play defense like a man, like we know he can. The flopping and falling is not his game, and it's not going to work against Kobe. The refs allow Kobe to clear out defenders with his left fore-arm.

Crookshanks
05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Yea - two of those 4th quarter 3's Kobe hit were the result of him pushing Bowen and Bruce falling back and giving Kobe a wide-open look.

Spurminator
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think he's flopping. He's playing very close and any kind of contact is knocking him backwards. He might need to give him a few more inches so he can stay in front of him but I don't think he's flopping.

ATXSPUR
05-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I agree. He gave kobe a wide ass 3 in the 4th quarter on that. Forget flopping! Make Kobe work!!

samikeyp
Agreed - all he's doing is giving Kobe space.

+1

completely deck
Haha, a nonprofessional telling one of the leagues best defenders how to defend.

Cute.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't think he's flopping. He's playing very close and any kind of contact is knocking him backwards. He might need to give him a few more inches so he can stay in front of him but I don't think he's flopping.

There isn't enough contact for him to go stumbling that far back, and his footwork is to good to be tripping all over the court. As good of a defender as Bruce is he's trying to bait the refs into giving Kobe a foul he'll never receive...he looks to them everytime he goes flying. He just has to play him straight up and except the contact like he usually does.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
There's a fair amount of contact between those two. Bowen doesn't get in Kobe's head like he does with pussies like Ray Allen and Vince Carter. Bruce's goal is to prevent Bryant from getting to the rim and forcing him to take tough shots with a hand in his face. Bryant is certainly good enough to make some of those.

It is certainly desirable that Bowen not give Bryant any room, regardless of contact.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Haha, a nonprofessional telling one of the leagues best defenders how to defend.

Cute.

Glad you enjoyed my post. :toast

BiZNicK
05-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Well whatever the case, Bowen knows what he's doing. I trust him

I have to agree that about giving bowen space though. I prefer Bowen a couple inches back and throwing a hand in the air to contest jumpers.

VaSpursFan
05-25-2008, 10:27 PM
bowen has to expect the kobe push off. he's going to have to absorb punishment and stay with kobe.

good win, great ball movement. let's get game 4!!!

DazedAndConfused
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Kobe got 0 F/T's tonight. I think you should all STFU about Bowen's defense.

Septic
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't think he's flopping. He's playing very close and any kind of contact is knocking him backwards. He might need to give him a few more inches so he can stay in front of him but I don't think he's flopping.I agree I don't think he was flopping just getting a tough elbow that was knocking him back.

Spurminator

This is a good point.

completely deck
Glad you enjoyed my post. :toast

My point is that he kept Kobe contained for, what, 3 and a half quarters? I think he's doing a great job. Kobe is going to make his shots, we know that. Staying too close to him draws fouls, so I imagine thats why he remains so distant.

ChumpDumper
Kobe got 0 F/T's tonight. I think you should all STFU about Bowen's defense.Yeah, it was pretty good.

No need to flop.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 10:32 PM

It's not just about tonight, this happened the previous two games as well. Thankfully the Spurs' offense sustained itself when Kobe went on his many run which was helped when Bowen fell to the ground a few times.

Bowen is still a premier defender and the best on-ball guy on the team, but Kobe isn't going to miss all of those open jumpers. Either way, it was a good win to build on.

Lake_show
WHAT!!? LMAO @ people saying Bowen had lockdown defense! 30 points on 57% shooting, hehe.

Borosai
Well, Kobe does use his off-arm a lot. That's a fact. If Bowen holds his ground, he'll probably get called for a foul. If he falls back, he leaves Kobe open, but maybe they'll call a foul on Bryant: he's a tough cover.

1Parker1
What's funny is that the refs are never going to even call that blatant foul by Kobe.

Bowen's defense has been great otherwise though. He's keeping Kobe off the foul line which is a very difficult thing to do. I think a part of that is that though is Kobe hasn't really been driving aggresively to the hole as his jumpshot and 3 point shot has been falling consistently.

ChumpDumper
05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
WHAT!!? LMAO @ people saying Bowen had lockdown defense! 30 points on 57% shooting, hehe.Yeah, all leading to the Lakers win.

completely deck
05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
WHAT!!? LMAO @ people saying Bowen had lockdown defense! 30 points on 57% shooting, hehe.

1 assist

0 FT

timvp
05-25-2008, 10:35 PM
A weird thing about Bowen's half flops (I say half because he is getting pushed somewhat) is that refs seem to call them later in the series as they see the two teams play more and more. Paul got away with about 50 push offs against Bowen early in the New Orleans series but in Game 6 they finally started calling it and Paul was eventually forced to stop pushing off on every drive.

I do agree that it's somewhat annoying at this stage of the series because the refs will just never call it.

Borosai
Oh, and Kobe did shoot one free throw on that bs foul called on one of his ridiculous 3s.

m33p0
That is the plan: don't let him get into the lane and don't give him free throws. you can STFU now about Bowen's defense.

michaelwcho
05-25-2008, 10:36 PM
What's funny is that the refs are never going to even call that blatant foul by Kobe.

Bowen's defense has been great otherwise though. He's keeping Kobe off the foul line which is a very difficult thing to do. I think a part of that is that though is Kobe hasn't really been driving aggresively to the hole as his jumpshot and 3 point shot has been falling consistently.

Don't be so sure. Chris Paul got away with the same sort of off-arm BS for about 5 games, but the refs got wise to it and eventually didn't let him slide so much. Maybe Bowen is setting up the same sort of thing?

GrandeDavid
05-25-2008, 10:37 PM

And a 19 point beatdown.

Indazone
05-25-2008, 10:39 PM
The announcers said that Bowen was instructed by Pop to give Kobe space. Turn him into a jump shooter. Pop didn't want him to play suffocating defense on Kobe.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 10:39 PM

:baby

You mad?

SRJ
05-25-2008, 10:40 PM
First of all, Bowen is doing a good job overall against one of the NBA's all-time best scorers. I'm not trying to downgrade Bowen's defense in general.

However, Bowen's role is not primarily about keeping Kobe off the FT line! His first priority is to make Kobe's FGA's as difficult as possible. If he is falling away from Kobe, he is not properly contesting the shot.

It's not a huge deal, and I'm sure Bowen will adjust for the next game.

EDIT: I didn't realize the following:

The announcers said that Bowen was instructed by Pop to give Kobe space. Turn him into a jump shooter. Pop didn't want him to play suffocating defense on Kobe.

Now I understand. In a vacuum, however, I think you'd rather see the tough contest.

1Parker1
05-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Don't be so sure. Chris Paul got away with the same sort of off-arm BS for about 5 games, but the refs got wise to it and eventually didn't let him slide so much. Maybe Bowen is setting up the same sort of thing?

:lol CP3 is not Kobe Bryant. Trust me, I will be in shock if the refs ever call that "shove off" by Kobe.

T Park
05-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Just be lucky if Bowen can continue to keep Kobe and able to play the D hes been able to do so far.

Kori Ellis
05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Bowen does flop on it some. But he also is getting pushed away harder than you think. Bowen is extremely light and some of the push offs by Kobe actually push him away.

Anyway ... leave it to Spurs fans to start a nagging thread about one of their players after they just got a must-win. :lol

Lake_show
05-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Just be lucky if Bowen can continue to keep Kobe and able to play the D hes been able to do so far.

You gotta love Spurs fans.

Hehe.

:lmao

Kori Ellis
05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
You are right man... there is a perfect example of what you are talking about in my sig.

Actually in your sig, he pulls away and let's him go by because Tim is there (in theory) to contest.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
You are right man... there is a perfect example of what you are talking about in my sig.

That's not flopping...that's Bruce anticipating contact and backing off of Kobe to induce him into a travel. Better play by Kobe, but I can't fault Bruce for what he was thinking there.

SRJ
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Anyway ... leave it to Spurs fans to start a nagging thread about one of their players after they just got a must-win.

You call it a nag, we call it analysis. ;)

SpursFan0728
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree
That happened in game 1 during the final stretch when Bowen flopped and kobe hit an open jumper...

the ref won't make those calls

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Bowen does flop on it some. But he also is getting pushed away harder than you think. Bowen is extremely light and some of the push offs by Kobe actually push him away.

Anyway ... leave it to Spurs fans to start a nagging thread about one of their players after they just got a must-win. :lol

Sorry if it sounds like I'm nagging, I was just bothered by it in the first few games and even more in the 4th quarter of this must win. I know Bruce is better than that, even with the light contact.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 10:49 PM
You call it a nag, we call it analysis. ;)

Exactly. :toast

Kori Ellis
05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
:lol

Analyze tomorrow.
Celebrate tonight.

DazedAndConfused
05-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Kobe has not been shutdown at all by Bowen. Kobe is not the reason why the Lakers lost this game, regardless of if he got free throws or not.

watertorture
05-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Kobe does what Michael used to--he pushes off with his off-hand. Bruce is so tight on him that he is getting knocked back. Refs have different rules for certain players.

ChumpDumper
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Kobe has not been shutdown at all by Bowen. Kobe is not the reason why the Lakers lost this game, regardless of if he got free throws or not.Then why are you whining about the free throws?

rascal
05-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Actually in your sig, he pulls away and let's him go by because Tim is there (in theory) to contest.
He would have ran into Tim had he continued to challenge the play. He had no where to go but to back off as he did.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Rocket fan is one whiny bastard.

ChumpDumper
05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Was it me, or did the Spurs crowd seem to be really personal tonight. There were all kinds of comments flying from those courtsides seats that you could hear over the noise of the crowd.We can only take so many fat jokes.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
We've been here before.

Brutalis
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I do agree that it's somewhat annoying at this stage of the series because the refs will just never call it.

Somewhat annoying? It fucking pisses me off to no limit. Kobe is a great player, horrible person, whatever, just call the shit already it pushes my buttons for some reason.

And yes Bowen needs to quit flopping over it. Yes he's doing it but BB needs to just take it and ignore the refs.

rascal
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Kobe has not been shutdown at all by Bowen. Kobe is not the reason why the Lakers lost this game, regardless of if he got free throws or not.

Agree with this. Bowen is not shutting Kobe down at all. If space is given to Kobe he makes the shot. If Bowen decides to play close Kobe will blow right past him. Kobe is too good right now.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Best post of the night. Even in a Spur blowout of the Lakers, you got people nit picking worthless points. Was it me, or did the Spurs crowd seem to be really personal tonight. There were all kinds of comments flying from those courtsides seats that you could hear over the noise of the crowd.

Again, it's not nit-picking because this is a pattern that has been established in previous games and given Kobe a boost...which has in turn given the Lakers a boost, and that's something Spur fans would like to see less of for the remainder of the series.

DazedAndConfused
05-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Barkley had to get the last word in about the Spurs fans. He called them all fat. Oh the ironing.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Barkley had to get the last word in about the Spurs fans. He called them all fat. Oh the ironing.

Uh....yeah.

T Park
05-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Whats he ironing, a shirt, a jacket?

ChumpDumper
It's "the ironing is delicious."

dbreiden83080
He does have to stop that, the refs are not calling it, they have not yet they are not going to start now. He never misses anything wide open so just stay on him

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Sig worthy.

You are one dumb motherfucker indeed.

timvp
05-25-2008, 11:09 PM
To appreciate what Bowen does on Kobe, just watch what happens when Udoka or anyone else guards him. It turns into the slam dunk contest. Kobe makes Udoka look like a 6-foot-5 pylon.

1Parker1
05-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Uh....yeah.

:lmao

SRJ
05-25-2008, 11:13 PM
The other morning, I wanted to press my Oxford short-sleeve for work. Instead, I got Charles Barkley calling Spurs fans fat.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2008, 11:14 PM
To appreciate what Bowen does on Kobe, just watch what happens when Udoka or anyone else guards him. It turns into the slam dunk contest. Kobe makes Udoka look like a 6-foot-5 pylon.

This is true Tim. Bowen has all of the tools to best guard Kobe, possibly in out of anyone in the league....and flopping has never been in his arsenal so I don't think it'll keep up. Udoka has much to learn from Bruce, but at least his 3's are starting to go down.

1Parker1
05-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Kobe's eyes light up when Udoka gets put on him. This is actually dangerous I think because by the time Pop puts Bowen back on him, Kobe is usually in a rythmn. Udoka needs to do a better job on Kobe. I thought I recalled he did well against him in the regular season victories...

BigBeezie
05-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Bowen is getting pushed every time Kobe Tai goes up for a shot... I noticed it from game 1...

DazedAndConfused
05-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Sig worthy.

You are one dumb motherfucker indeed.

No you are. Clearly you haven't been on the internet long enough. The fact that you haven't heard that before is surprising.

BigBeezie
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Charles can suck a FAT nut...

T Park
05-25-2008, 11:18 PM
No you are. Clearly you haven't been on the internet long enough. The fact that you haven't heard that before is surprising.

Wow the

"No you are" comeback.

Princeton education indeed...

dbreiden83080

Just curious does the Laker board Suck?? Seems odd to me that such a huge Laker fan would be here so much. I know that is why we have a Piston section, because they hated their own place

Troll_Dynasty
Bowen has to Stop....

Kobe.

NewJerSpur
The last time the Chuckster challenged a fanbase, that fanbase's team dethroned the REGULAR SEASON champion Dallas Mavericks...I like where he's taking this.

Strike
Bowen is getting pushed every time Kobe Tai goes up for a shot... I noticed it from game 1...

:lol

SPARKY

Oh yes, I am new to the internets. They are truly amazing.

Sorry about your Rockets. Maybe next year.

dbreiden83080
05-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Say what??????

spurster
05-25-2008, 11:21 PM

This is a good point because if Bowen is not going to get calls for Kobe pushoffs, then Kobe is not going to get as many calls. This will work as long as the refs know that Bowen has a legit complaint. Kobe doesn't stick out much of a chicken-wing so the refs have a hard time seeing it in real time, and even then they probably wouldn't call a foul, but if the refs look at game tape, they can see that Kobe is getting away with some contact, so the Spurs will be able to get away with some, too.

Lake_show
05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
BTW, Kobe did get to the FT line.

SenorSpur
05-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Agree completely. Kobe is a superstar player. Bowen will rarely ever get that kind of call. He's better off keeping his position, than repeatedly trying to draw a foul. Plus the refs aren't stupid. They look down on that type of repeated flopping