PDA

View Full Version : Ludden does it again - Ginobili turns frustration into fuel

Mark in Austin
05-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Is it me, or has Ludden gotten even better since leaving the E-N?

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports
9 hours, 11 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhBw2J6rhMgz5oYTrT.Gtj68vLYF?slug=jy-lalsasgamethree052508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SAN ANTONIO – Sasha Vujacic had done everything possible short of taking a tire iron to Manu Ginobili’s knee. He had bounced off screens, crowded him, pushed him right and … nothing. Ginobili had already thrown in four three-pointers and now he was stepping back for another.

Vujacic stepped, too, thrusting his arms between Ginobili’s, forcing the wiry guard to fade … fade … fade. Just as it looked like Ginobili’s back could bend no more, he launched a moonball toward the rim.

Vujacic turned to see the shot drop through the net. Shoulders slumped, he looked toward the roof of the AT&T Center, questioning, perhaps, just what he had done to deserve this torture. Kobe Bryant grinned. He knew. The Los Angeles Lakers had helped create this monster.

“Manu’s pissed,” one San Antonio Spurs coach said early Sunday evening before Ginobili had taken even his first step onto the court. “That could be good for us.”

The Spurs have long fed off Ginobili’s fire, and he burned as bright as ever Sunday, scoring 30 points and throwing a charge through his teammates as they rolled to a 103-84 victory over the Lakers. The Spurs only trimmed Los Angeles’ lead in the Western Conference finals to 2-1, but with Ginobili playing as he did Sunday? The champs aren’t dead just yet.

Ginobili had simmered through the first two games. His legs were heavy, his left ankle throbbed and he was missing a fingernail on his shooting hand. He had totaled just 17 points in the two losses, but that’s not what bothered him most. He expected more from himself. As the Spurs prepared to leave Los Angeles Friday night, Ginobili stared into the TV cameras and blamed himself for the two losses.

Ginobili’s recovery began, not surprisingly, in a medical office. On Saturday afternoon he stuck his sore ankle in an MRI tube and waited for the results. The Spurs doctors looked at the scan and saw what they expected: The ankle had some swelling and chronic arthritis, but was structurally sound.

The news, team officials said, seemed to relax Ginobili. The arthritis is an issue, and will likely continue to be in this every-other-day series. He jammed his foot in the first game of these playoffs, but the arthritis is believed to have built up since Ginobili tried to play in the finals of the 2002 World Championships after he severely sprained the ankle the previous game. Still, even that should have told Ginobili something.

After all, hadn’t he been through worse?

Ginobili also benefited, like every player does, from a couple of nights in his own bed. But Spurs coach Gregg Popovich worried as much about Ginobili’s mental state as he did his physical makeup. After tough losses, Popovich often talks about “filling up the cup.” Ginobili’s was clearly empty.

So Popovich gave Ginobili space at Sunday morning’s shootaround. He didn’t ask him how he was feeling because he didn’t want him thinking about it. He also shielded Ginobili from the media so he wouldn’t have to answer questions about either his ankle or his struggles.

“I think he just put all that behind him,” said Fabricio Oberto, Ginobili’s Argentine teammate and closest friend on the Spurs. “He just played.”

All that frustration? Ginobili turned it into fuel. After he hit his second consecutive three-pointer midway through the first quarter, he screamed and pumped both his fists. Ginobili continued to snarl his way through the game, again making back-to-back three-pointers in the second quarter to give the Spurs the lead for good.

Ginobili would later say he was “more me,” which should permanently end any Sasha Vujacic comparisons. All season long the Spurs have sensed Ginobili playing with an edge, even an anger, they had not felt in previous years. Now he barks back at opposing players, and after Ronny Turiaf and Derek Fisher decked him with a hard foul in the second half, Ginobili picked himself up and growled.

Popovich has long said he’s never coached a more competitive player, and there’s a reason for that: He hasn’t. In truth, only Bryant’s competitiveness may exceed Ginobili’s among current players, and that’s why the Spurs didn’t celebrate much Sunday. Bryant’s four fourth-quarter three-pointers could be a sign he’s only warming up.

Bryant, too, has long respected Ginobili from afar. He once called him his favorite player to watch. On Sunday, he merely called him “phenomenal.” The admiration dates to Ginobili’s second season. Then, Bryant came to San Antonio with Shaquille O’Neal, Karl Malone and Gary Payton at his side and found Tim Duncan and Tony Parker sidelined with injuries. Ginobili, totaling 33 points and 12 rebounds, somehow pushed the Spurs into double overtime before they lost.

That’s why neither the Spurs, nor Bryant, were surprised by Ginobili’s performance. Lakers coach Phil Jackson couldn’t even fault Vujacic too much. Ginobili, he said, simply made too many “impossible shots.”

“He understands what he’s done in games all his life, both in Europe and over here,” Popovich said. “He’s got a lot of confidence in what he can do.”

Ginobili’s confidence has continued to grow, as well as his standing in the league.

“He’s one of the best players in the world, without a doubt, but he never gets mentioned,” said New York coach Mike D’Antoni, who coached against Ginobili in Italy and lost to him four times in the playoffs in Phoenix. “He didn’t even make the All-Star team, which is a travesty.

“I think he exemplifies everything you want a player to be: great in the clutch; great at getting after a loose ball; great at defense; great at offense; unselfish; takes a contract for less money to make his team better.

“I don’t think there is one superlative you can say that is too much about him. … In the world he is unappreciated. Maybe because he is unorthodox, whatever. I don’t know. But I’ll tell you what, you can’t get a better player than him.

“You can debate Kobe or LeBron. Fine. But he is right there in the debate.”

The difference is that Kobe never seems to tire. Popovich long ago moved Ginobili to the bench not only to spark his teammates, but also to save him. That’s why these West finals don’t work in his favor. Ginobili, unlike Kobe, needs his rest.

Spending another night at home with family and friends will help. And if Ginobili’s cup fills again?

On Tuesday, the Spurs have a chance to make this a series.

DazedAndConfused
05-26-2008, 11:22 AM
The difference is that Kobe never seems to tire. Popovich long ago moved Ginobili to the bench not only to spark his teammates, but also to save him. That’s why these West finals don’t work in his favor. Ginobili, unlike Kobe, needs his rest.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-26-2008, 11:28 AM
you think that needs boldening? for what? Everybody knows Kobe is better than Manu, and its not even just the need for rest. The fact that you feel the need to clarify it further just speaks even louder than any Manu nutjob ever could :lol

lefty
05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Woo, all of sudden I like D'Antoni :wow

SPARKY
05-26-2008, 11:31 AM
you think that needs boldening? for what? Everybody knows Kobe is better than Manu, and its not even just the need for rest. The fact that you feel the need to clarify it further just speaks even louder than any Manu nutjob ever could :lol

Yeah, that kid has issues.

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I like Ludden's article better than Mike's

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I like Ludden's article better than Mike's

Well, there's a reason Yahoo! Sports hired Ludden and not Monroe.

Supreme_Being
05-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm still not used to seeing, "the coach of New York Knicks, Mike D'Antoni".

Ronaldo McDonald
05-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Dazed, what's the point of highlighting that part of the article? To prove that Kobe is better than Manu? Because you think it serves as some sort of justification that LA will win the series?

We know Kobe is better than Manu. Anyone who denies that is ignorant.

As far as it justifying that LA will win...that's just idiotic...LA needs Gasol and Odumb to perform at a high level if they want to have any chance against SA.

TMTTRIO
05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
good article on Manu. I really miss Ludden writing for us. I'm a little concerned about the arthritis in his ankle setting in.

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
good article on Manu. I really miss Ludden writing for us. I'm a little concerned about the arthritis in his ankle setting in.

You know, Manu has had problems with that ankle for a long time. And chronic arthritis is what happens when you have bad ankle and you keep putting pressure on it (More than usual). I had a friend that had similar thing but the arthritis was prolonged because he did not expose the ankle to anything that is unordinary.

timvp
05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Nice read.

I'm glad the Spurs did an MRI on Ginobili's ankle. If it's a bruise and arthritis, that is something you can bounce back from. That's a lot better than something like a high ankle sprain or Achilles issues.

If Ginobili can remain a volume scorer for the rest of the playoffs, I'll gladly take that. I don't expect him to turn back into how he was playing in the regular season when he was almost the best player in the league at times. But if he can avoid playing like he did in Game 1 and put up points, Spurs have a chance.

boutons_
05-26-2008, 04:25 PM
“Manu’s pissed,” “That could be good for us.”

Just "could" :lol

boutons_
05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
“I think he exemplifies everything you want a player to be: great in the clutch; great at getting after a loose ball; great at defense; great at offense; unselfish; takes a contract for less money to make his team better."

Hey, Mike, you left out the one magical word that trumps everything: W I N N E R

ducks
05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I thought manu was more mentally tough then this
I guess he wanted to find out for sure so he could be manu again

E20
05-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Manu = Kobe
3 rings = 3 rings
30 points = 30 points

After this season Manu > Kobe
4 rings> 3

:stirpot:

MaNuMaNiAc
05-26-2008, 05:10 PM

more mentally tough? wtf are you talking about ducks? The man wasn't rattled, he just wasn't playing like he knew he could. It happens. These little passive aggressive swipes you like to take don't fool anyone ducky boy.

PlayoffEx-static
05-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I love how every shot he took now was ridiculous, contested, and falling out of bounds. Hey folks: that happened exactly once. His first two treys were basically uncontested. More fool you, Lakers. That's what happens when you disrespect.

mVp
05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Nice article.

samikeyp
05-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Good, I hope he stays pissed. :)

1Parker1
05-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Phil Jackson is great at adjustments. I expect him in Game 4 to establish Lamar Odom and Gasol more and I definitely expect him to tell Fisher to push the ball and take more shots to make Parker work for offense. Phil knows the best way to beat the Spurs is to take away one or two of the Spurs Big 3 and dare anyone else to step up and beat them.

Hopefully Spurs come out ready. I don't think Ginobili can score 30 points like that again tommorow night. Another bench player is going to have to step up for 10-12 points.

Fizzzar
05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Since it seems that Manu is regaining is explosion, I would love to start seeing some isos at the top of the key called for him.

When Phil puts Radmanovic on Manu there's no reason to call a pnr, Manu should be able to blow past him and create from there.

On top of it, Vujanic often gambles too much trying to steal the ball before Manu makes a dribble. If he has room to opererate, Manu should get rid of him pretty easily too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Phil Jackson is great at adjustments. I expect him in Game 4 to establish Lamar Odom and Gasol more and I definitely expect him to tell Fisher to push the ball and take more shots to make Parker work for offense. Phil knows the best way to beat the Spurs is to take away one or two of the Spurs Big 3 and dare anyone else to step up and beat them.

Hopefully Spurs come out ready. I don't think Ginobili can score 30 points like that again tommorow night. Another bench player is going to have to step up for 10-12 points.

I hope he tries to go to Gasol and Odom, that means the ball isn't in Kobe's hands. Plus our bigs are playing good defense on both.

1Parker1
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
I hope he tries to go to Gasol and Odom, that means the ball isn't in Kobe's hands. Plus our bigs are playing good defense on both.

Kobe can get his shot anytime he wants. He's pretty much done that in 3 games now. I'd rather the ball in Kobe's hands and him trying to beat the Spurs by himself than have Gasol/Odom get going offensively to start and Kobe take over in the end. Which is probably the Lakers gameplan.

Man of Steel
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Major props to Coach D. for sticking up for Manu.

Who knows--now that he is with the Knicks, he might even become likable...

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Major props to Coach D. for sticking up for Manu.

Who knows--now that he is with the Knicks, he might even become likable...

He said that about Manu during the PO series.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Wow, you're on a roll.

Did you increase the amount of varnish you drink per day?

You've probably cheered like a Laker Dancer that the Spurs lost Game 1 & 2.

Here's to you, dumbass.

:toast

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
He said that about Manu during the PO series.

If D'Antoni has any strength it's recognizing talent.

He gains an ounce of respect from me when I learnt that he helped scout Manu for the Spurs.

And how he remarked, that Beno was along the lines of a lazy fat kid.
Before I knew that little tidbit, I would have thought it was a fluke, but I guess he's good for something..

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 09:03 PM
If D'Antoni has any strength it's recognizing talent.

He gains an ounce of respect from me when I learnt that he helped scout Manu for the Spurs.

And how he remarked, that Beno was along the lines of a lazy fat kid.
Before I knew that little tidbit, I would have thought it was a fluke, but I guess he's good for something..

He has always praised Manu but I did not know that he scouted Manu for the Spurs. Good thing on his resume!

SPARKY
05-26-2008, 09:20 PM
D'Antoni may have scouted Manu, I'm not sure. I believe he joined the Spurs after Manu had been drafted. He coached against Manu in Italy.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Great article! I particularly appreciated the following:

1. “Manu’s pissed,” one San Antonio Spurs coach said early Sunday evening before Ginobili had taken even his first step onto the court. “That could be good for us.” -

2. All season long the Spurs have sensed Ginobili playing with an edge, even an anger, they had not felt in previous years. Now he barks back at opposing players, and after Ronny Turiaf and Derek Fisher decked him with a hard foul in the second half, Ginobili picked himself up and growled.

3. Bryant, too, has long respected Ginobili from afar. He once called him his favorite player to watch. On Sunday, he merely called him “phenomenal.”

4. “He’s one of the best players in the world, without a doubt, but he never gets mentioned,” said New York coach Mike D’Antoni, who coached against Ginobili in Italy and lost to him four times in the playoffs in Phoenix. “He didn’t even make the All-Star team, which is a travesty.

“I think he exemplifies everything you want a player to be: great in the clutch; great at getting after a loose ball; great at defense; great at offense; unselfish; takes a contract for less money to make his team better.

“I don’t think there is one superlative you can say that is too much about him. … In the world he is unappreciated. Maybe because he is unorthodox, whatever. I don’t know. But I’ll tell you what, you can’t get a better player than him.

“You can debate Kobe or LeBron. Fine. But he is right there in the debate.”

Damn straight. I say the same things to my mates and they laugh, but they are wrong.

Manu is one of the top 10 guards in the world , and one of the top 3 clutch players. Anyone who really watches basketball and understands it know this, and the stats bear it out.

MANU!!!

MANU!!!

MANU!!!

sassystriker
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Manu being pissed is always good for us

MoSpur
05-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Kobe can get his shot anytime he wants. He's pretty much done that in 3 games now. I'd rather the ball in Kobe's hands and him trying to beat the Spurs by himself than have Gasol/Odom get going offensively to start and Kobe take over in the end. Which is probably the Lakers gameplan.

I agree. The more time the ball is in Kobe's hand COULD be bad news for the Lakers because that MAY mean he is jacking up a lot of shots and not passing. In Game 3, Kobe had 30 points while taking 23 shots. He only had one assist. In game one, Kobe had nine assists and in game two he had five assists. The more he passes, the better the Lakers are.

polandprzem
05-27-2008, 12:42 PM

Excactly sister!

ambchang
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I hope (and strongly suspect) that Manu struggled in Games 1 and 2 because of fatigue more than anything else. On paper, nobody on the Lakers can guard Manu, and he knows it.

That said, I am looking to have a more aggressive Parker for the rest of the series, he is capable of so much more.

Indazone
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Ginobili plays harder than Kobe