PDA

View Full Version : Little big adjustment

Fizzzar
05-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Watching the Spurs games this year I think Pop should stop isolating TP in the last posession of the 1st to 3rd quarter. He does it lots of times and it rarely ends in a basket.

Parker is playing amazingly this year and he's become cltuch too, but he fails almost every time in that situations.

End of quarter baskets are timely and set the tone of the following quarter. I remember the old Laker teams... they always scored in those kind of possesions and it used to kill us... whether it was Kobe, Fisher, Shaw (I used to hate him so much for this), Horry, Fox, etc... they were almost flawless.

I might be knitpicking but in a series like this one timely basket can change the course of the whole series.

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Watching the Spurs games this year I think Pop should stop isolating TP in the last posession of the 1st to 3rd quarter. He does it lots of times and it rarely ends in a basket.

Parker is playing amazingly this year and he's become cltuch too, but he fails almost every time in that situations.

End of quarter baskets are timely and set the tone of the following quarter. I remember the old Laker teams... they always scored in those kind of possesions and it used to kill us... whether it was Kobe, Fisher, Shaw (I used to hate him so much for this), Horry, Fox, etc... they were almost flawless.

I might be knitpicking but in a series like this one timely basket can change the course of the whole series.

Well, I have seen Tony succeed in these situations (like the NO series) and fail like end of 2nd quarter yesterday. So, it's like 60% chance that Tony can make it or pass it to 40% miss it.

But you might have something there!

Fizzzar
05-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I feel very confident almost every time tony is isolated or running the pnr... but in end of quarter situations I swear I cringe... and sadly most of the times I'm right... I don't have a stat, it's just a perception.

I would love to be able to rewatch the games and prove myself wrong... but I doubt that's the case.

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 03:44 PM
I feel very confident almost every time tony is isolated or running the pnr... but in end of quarter situations I swear I cringe... and sadly most of the times I'm right... I don't have a stat, it's just a perception.

I would love to be able to rewatch the games and prove myself wrong... but I doubt that's the case.

I know for a fact that yesterday he tried to pass it to timmy and the ball got loose...I guess every basket is a key in this series!

Kori Ellis
05-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I think that it actually ends in a basket way more often than not. It's not just 1st/3rd quarter. End of the half too.

ducks
05-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I think spur fans think manu or duncan should always get that play
because tp is not worthy:downspin:

Fizzzar
05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
This is not a TP vs "X" thread, don't turn it into that.

PlayoffEx-static
Tony gift wrapped a wraparound pass in the lane to Tim for an EASY bucket to end the third Q of GM3, but he fumbled it. You think Tim is going to get that easy of a look with a post entry pass?

lefty
TP vs X

Who wins ?

Fizzzar
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Tony gift wrapped a wraparound pass in the lane to Tim for an EASY bucket to end the third Q of GM3, but he fumbled it. You think Tim is going to get that easy of a look with a post entry pass?

Of course you are gonna find succesful end of quarter plays, but I'm saying that in general it doesn't en well.

And I repeat, I don't know for sure... it's just my perception... that's why I'm posting it, I want to know if anyone follows this and has some kind of fact.

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 03:56 PM
I think spur fans think manu or duncan should always get that play
because tp is not worthy:downspin:

Nah, he's done well enough and he is the fastest and with great skills around the basket so...

timvp
05-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Pretty good point. Usually Parker and Ginobili split those duties but with Ginobili a banged up and fatigued, he's not getting his usual separation when iso'ed. I'm fine with Parker handling the duties until Ginobili's burst returns.

Plus, I especially don't like Ginobili isolating at the end of clocks when Turiaf is in the game. Turiaf has been trying to hard foul Ginobili all series. If I didn't know better, it'd think PJax told Turiaf to lay Ginobili out.

Fizzzar
05-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Plus, I especially don't like Ginobili isolating at the end of clocks when Turiaf is in the game. Turiaf has been trying to hard foul Ginobili all series. If I didn't know better, it'd think PJax told Turiaf to lay Ginobili out.

True, I've been wanting Pop to put Kurt in the game to teach Turiaf a little lesson in toughness and then see if he keeps fouling that hard.

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Pretty good point. Usually Parker and Ginobili split those duties but with Ginobili a banged up and fatigued, he's not getting his usual separation when iso'ed. I'm fine with Parker handling the duties until Ginobili's burst returns.

I remember yesterday, Ronny giving a hard foul but did he do anything to Ginobili in game 1 and 2 ?
Also, I think that Manu said something to Turiaf after the hard foul in Game 3.

kace
05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
well, in the two first series, tony had the ball in the last possessions of one of the three first QT (with at least 10 seconds on the clock) 12 times (not counting the times he passed the ball and his teamate missed, which doesn't appear in play by play and anyway is pretty neutral):

on these 12 times:

- he scored 6 times (FT/2pts/3pts)
- he had 2 assists
- he missed 2 times
- he had 2 TO (which is almost the same thing as a miss since the opponent doesn't have time to fast break)

so, it ended with points 66 % of the times.

against LA, he had the ball 3 times in these situations : he missed two times and had one TO.

Emanuel20
05-26-2008, 04:30 PM
well, in the two first series, tony had the ball in the last possessions of one of the three first QT (with at least 10 seconds on the clock) 12 times (not counting the times he passed the ball and his teamate missed, which doesn't appear in play by play and anyway is pretty neutral):

on these 12 times:

- he scored 6 times (FT/2pts/3pts)
- he had 2 assists
- he missed 2 times
- he had 2 TO

so, it ended with points 66 % of the times.

against LA, he had the ball 3 times in these situations : he missed two times and had one TO.

In game 4, we need the ball in his hands at end of quarters b/c according statistics he should be making 2/3 (end of 2nd and 4th quarters)
:hat

SouthernFried
05-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Ya...I'd much prefer it in the hands of Manu. That's what he lives for. But, as another poster suggested...Manu is not there right now. Mebbe after the last win he's better, but I'm not so sure.

So, barring Manu getting those plays, it's up to Parker or Duncan. I don't mind it starting with Parker...it's not like we have a ton of options right now for a closeout score. I think a case could be made for TD or TP to close out a quarter.

Unless Manu is back at 100%

We'll see.

TDfan2007
05-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Part of me wants to see Tony toss it back to Tim for 3's on that pick and pop that they always do. It's probably a terrible idea, but it would be fun to watch him take a 3 or two every now and then.

Other than that I like the Tony isos at the end of the quarter. My only gripe is that sometimes he gets tunnel-vision and forgets that other guys are open.

1Parker1
05-26-2008, 05:22 PM
They could probably start running set plays to get Michael Finley an open shot in those situations. I think Pop said that the only time Finley seems to be consistently making his shots is when the Spurs come out of halfs specifically setting plays for him. Why not do it to the end the 1st and 3rd quarters or before halftime more?

MannyIsGod
05-26-2008, 06:15 PM
They could probably start running set plays to get Michael Finley an open shot in those situations. I think Pop said that the only time Finley seems to be consistently making his shots is when the Spurs come out of halfs specifically setting plays for him. Why not do it to the end the 1st and 3rd quarters or before halftime more?

Cause he's usually on the bench at those times.

1Parker1
05-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Cause he's usually on the bench at those times.

:lol Rightfully so, but if the only time Finley can make shots is when the Spurs run set plays for him, then I guess there's no better time than the end of quarters.

Brutalis
05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Would not hurt to pen kick to Barry for a final play either. And I agree TP gets tunnel vision sometimes. However the Spurs do have a standing around problem. Ask Duncan when he gets it in the post sometimes our team is like froze on 'do something.'

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
:lol Rightfully so, but if the only time Finley can make shots is when the Spurs run set plays for him, then I guess there's no better time than the end of quarters.

It worked going to Finley in game 1 against the Suns at the end of regulation.