PDA

View Full Version : Lakers-Celtics Final Is No Guarantee (Fox Sports)

duncan228
05-26-2008, 04:34 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8177820/Lakers-Celtics-Final-is-no-guarantee

Lakers-Celtics Final is no guarantee
by Mike Kahn

As we approach the midway point of the 2008 NBA Conference finals, the good news is both series are still up for grabs.

No offense to what the New Orleans Hornets accomplished this season, finishing with the second seed in the West, but there is no doubt the top four teams have made it to the dance and there are four very different possible combinations for the Finals, with each of them interesting in their own right.

Sure, the Los Angeles Lakers jumped out to a 2-1 lead on the defending champion San Antonio Spurs, but is anybody crazy enough to rule out the Spurs — winners of three of the last five titles? But the Spurs surely need to win Game 4 or the Lakers go home for Game 5 with a chance to clinch.

And yes, the Boston Celtics finally won on the road after a record-tying six straight losses until Saturday at the Palace of Auburn Hills, taking a 2-1 lead over the Detroit Pistons. But you all know the Pistons ... bad game, good game, bad game, good game. In this case, like the Spurs, the Pistons have to win Game 4 or the Celtics go home with the opportunity to wrap up the series.

So that sets all the utensils out on the table, with four possible combinations for the Finals. If majority rules, the Celtics and Lakers will meet, rekindling a historic Finals rivalry that has occurred nine times, dating back to 1959, when the Lakers still played in Minneapolis. And let's not forget the Lakers' Phil Jackson, he of nine NBA titles as coach (six in Chicago and three in L.A.), in a tie with Celtics legend Red Auerbach for the most rings in coaching history. One thing to consider is Jackson's teams have never lost a playoff series (40-0) when they win Game 1, as they did against the Spurs. With MVP Kobe Bryant leading the way and the home court, they are favored.

But that's not a guarantee.

The Spurs have the opportunity to win their fourth title in six years, something that nobody has done since the Celtics had their spectacular run of 11 titles in 13 years from 1957-69 . There is no trio in the league that has won as consistently as Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. You can knock them down, but knocking them out is an entirely different circumstance.

The Celtics triumvirate of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen has had more than their share of success during their respective careers. And during the regular season, they put together the best record in the NBA. It's different now, though, considering this is the first season the three All-Stars have played together on the Celtics.

Meanwhile, the hard-to-figure Pistons have shown the ability to come back in any series and have been to the Conference finals six years in a row, so they have the experience to bounce back against the Celtics. It's just always hard to figure what we will see from the Pistons, who have greatness but too often inexplicably lapse into a lifeless bunch during select games in the postseason.

So as we consider all of the above, let's look at the matchups to decide which one we'd like to see going forward:

Spurs vs. Pistons

The good: These two teams already had a great series in 2005, with the Spurs barely winning in seven games, thwarting the Pistons' attempt to repeat after taking out the Lakers in five the year before. Both teams are predicated by defense and consistent team execution at both ends of the floor.

The bad: When these two teams meet, the scores tend to look more like college games than the NBA. In this fast-paced basketball frenzy of the 21st century, they'll still slow it down. In 2005, the Pistons were the only team to score 100 points in the series, and it happened in a 102-71 blowout in Game 4. On the other hand, the Pistons also lost, 84-69, in Game 1. A thing of beauty, it was not.

Conclusion: These two teams have garnered an enormous amount of respect this decade and rightfully so. They have been consistently solid year in and year out, which is why this matchup would be no surprise and intense. The only problem is that nobody but the fans of the two teams has any interest in seeing them slug it out again.

Lakers vs. Pistons

The good: There is history here, too, with the 2004 Finals the most recent — signaling the end of the Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant-Phil Jackson era for the Lake Show. All three proved to be amazingly selfish in the end, with Shaq getting dealt to Miami, Phil taking a year off for a "tell-all" book and Kobe suffering the brunt of the blame, when in retrospect it seems to be equal parts of blame to go around. There also were the 1988 and 1989 meetings that began with Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas exchanging kisses on the cheek and ended with their public friendship becoming a personal feud. The Lakers won in 1988, but the Pistons won in 1989 when Johnson and Byron Scott both suffered hamstring injuries that made it impossible for the Lakers to compete.

The bad: Chauncey Billups has the hamstring in question for the Pistons. The way he looked in Games 1 and 3, it's hard to fathom the Pistons getting there now. Sure, rookie Rodney Stuckey has been surprisingly stellar and growing in confidence in his place. But if they can't get more dependable play from Rasheed Wallace and Tayshaun Prince, it won't matter. They won't get there.

Conclusion: All things being equal health-wise, this would be an excellent matchup, with Wallace and Antonio McDyess going against Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol up front and with Rip Hamilton and Bryant locking horns in the backcourt. But unless the Pistons rally quickly, it's not going to happen.

Spurs vs. Celtics

The good: There is the tradition of the Spurs now and the Celtics then that makes it intriguing. Even more special would be the matchup of Duncan and Garnett, Western Conference rivals for so many years, meeting in the Finals for the first time. Watching Bruce Bowen check Paul Pierce would be fun and the Ray Allen-Manu Ginobili lockup would also be great theater in so many ways. And that's not to mention the quickness of the Celtics young Rajon Rondo against the race car known as Tony Parker.

The bad: The scores will be in the 80's and low 90's featuring a bump-and-grind mode for both teams. These games could be excruciating to watch until the fourth quarter, which would finally offer some great basketball. In other words, the desire would be to see a best-of-seven, one quarter each. Otherwise, the non-diehards would find it to be unwatchable.

Conclusion: As a die-hard NBA fan, this would be a fabulous series. The matchups are terrific, even if Duncan and Garnett aren't head-to-head all the time. The alteration of defenses from the Spurs Gregg Popovich and Pistons coach Flip Saunders are continual, with the two having faced each other innumerable times in the Western Conference during Saunders' nine-plus seasons as coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves. This is the second choice because of the possibilities.

Lakers vs. Celtics

The good: Unless you resent both franchises, there is nothing to dislike about this. Bryant making his first playoff appearance in Boston is reason enough to get excited. Even more so, there is the prospect of Jackson in search of his 10th title with the ghost of Auerbach looming overhead the Garden. There also is the desire to see Garnett, Pierce and Allen have a shot at their first title after all three superstars never having made it to the Finals before.

The bad: There will be the conspiracy theories if this happens. The NBA has been waiting for a return to the golden era ever since the lockout of 1998-99, when it lost a large chunk of audience and got lost in the hip hop, tattoo-infested youth of the 21st century. But in reality, if the worst matchup is the Spurs vs. the Pistons, there is no way the NBA can lose this time around.

Conclusion: Again, unless you just hate the NBA or the two franchises, how can you not want this to happen? This would be the greatest matchup, mostly because of the legacy of the Celtics and Auerbach vs. Bryant and Jackson. Just imagine if the Lakers were to clinch the series in Boston and Jackson gets to light up a stogie in the Garden to celebrate. Those would certainly be ingredients of his choice.

xtremesteven33
05-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Spurs vs Celtics....its gonna happen....book it

SouthernFried
05-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Spurs and Pistons my dream.

We don't hate Boston or LA (we'll, mebbe LA some)...we hate the fact the media and NBA have been building these 2 teams up all year as some sort of savior for the NBA. As if the Spurs and the Pistons have destroyed the marketing hype surrounding the tatooed, hip hop, "superstars rule" image the NBA has been trying to create.

It's bullshit, and the media "journalists" who have gone along with it have been disgusting. "Sports journalists?"

Give me a fucking break.

If it comes down to the Spurs and Detroit, I'd love to see Duncan and Sheed getting together at midcourt...and flipping off the camera's with a collective "fuck you."

God, that would be sweet.

Then the media would find something to love about them again.

Fucking morons

ShoogarBear
05-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Boy, yeah, those Celtics sure play some exciting basketball.

Russ
05-26-2008, 05:00 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8177820/Lakers-Celtics-Final-is-no-guarantee

Lakers-Celtics Final is no guarantee
by Mike Kahn

The Spurs have the opportunity to win their fourth title in six years, something that nobody has done since the Celtics had their spectacular run of 11 titles in 13 years from 1957-69.

Actually, the Bulls did it in the '90's. (In fact they got 4 in 6, 5 in 7 and even 6 in 8 years.)

balli
05-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't really care who comes out of the East because they both barely score, but if the Spurs make it I'm boycotting the finals for the 2nd year in a row.

DespЏrado
05-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Um Doc Rivers is the coach of the Celtics last time I checked. How can you mix those two up?

Spurs vs. Celtics
...The alteration of defenses from the Spurs Gregg Popovich and Pistons coach Flip Saunders are continual, with the two having faced each other innumerable times in the Western Conference during Saunders' nine-plus seasons as coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves...

SouthernFried
05-26-2008, 05:07 PM
So you'll only watch the finals if the Spurs aren't in it.

lol...too funny.

ShoogarBear
05-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't really care who comes out of the East because they both barely score, but if the Spurs make it I'm boycotting the finals for the 2nd year in a row.

Guess you'll just have to spend all your time continuing to troll SpursTalk telling us how you aren't watching. :downspin:

MaNuMaNiAc
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Guess you'll just have to spend all your time continuing to troll SpursTalk telling us how you aren't watching. :downspin:

Dude is covering his eyes as we speak

balli
05-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Nah, I spend most of it posting on Spurstalk about how much I disagree with Joakim Noah getting arrested and the like. The Spurs hatred is just an added bonus for ya'll to enjoy. For about the 1000th time- I'm sorry this forum is so cool and I'm sorry that unlike most of you, I dislike the spurs. I didn't know that my membership here required me to stop disliking them. But again, I'm sorry- I know that facing the reality that many, many, many NBA fans really don't like your team must be awful for you.

lefty
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Spurs vs. Celtics

The good: There is the tradition of the Spurs now and the Celtics then that makes it intriguing. Even more special would be the matchup of Duncan and Garnett, Western Conference rivals for so many years, meeting in the Finals for the first time. Watching Bruce Bowen check Paul Pierce would be fun and the Ray Allen-Manu Ginobili lockup would also be great theater in so many ways. And that's not to mention the quickness of the Celtics young Rajon Rondo against the race car known as Tony Parker.

The bad: The scores will be in the 80's and low 90's featuring a bump-and-grind mode for both teams. These games could be excruciating to watch until the fourth quarter, which would finally offer some great basketball. In other words, the desire would be to see a best-of-seven, one quarter each. Otherwise, the non-diehards would find it to be unwatchable.

Conclusion: As a die-hard NBA fan, this would be a fabulous series. The matchups are terrific, even if Duncan and Garnett aren't head-to-head all the time. The alteration of defenses from the Spurs Gregg Popovich and Pistons coach Flip Saunders are continual, with the two having faced each other innumerable times in the Western Conference during Saunders' nine-plus seasons as coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves. This is the second choice because of the possibilities.

Since when Saunders is coaching the Celtics ? :lmao:lmao

SpursDynasty
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Actually, the Bulls did it in the '90's. (In fact they got 4 in 6, 5 in 7 and even 6 in 8 years.)

Yeah but those championships were kind of fake...the league was handed to MJ for a long time.

dbreiden83080
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I am still laughing at all this it will be so exciting to have Boston and LA in the finals with so much history and tradition, blah, blah, these people are aware that Magic and Bird are retired right???

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Spurs vs. Celtics

Since when Saunders is coaching the Celtics ? :lmao:lmao

:lol

theMUHMEshow
05-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Spurs and Pistons my dream.

We don't hate Boston or LA (we'll, mebbe LA some)...we hate the fact the media and NBA have been building these 2 teams up all year as some sort of savior for the NBA. As if the Spurs and the Pistons have destroyed the marketing hype surrounding the tatooed, hip hop, "superstars rule" image the NBA has been trying to create.

It's bullshit, and the media "journalists" who have gone along with it have been disgusting. "Sports journalists?"

Give me a fucking break.

If it comes down to the Spurs and Detroit, I'd love to see Duncan and Sheed getting together at midcourt...and flipping off the camera's with a collective "fuck you."

God, that would be sweet.

Then the media would find something to love about them again.

Fucking morons

:toast

that would be priceless!!

milkyway21
05-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Nah, I spend most of it posting on Spurstalk about how much I disagree with Joakim Noah getting arrested and the like. The Spurs hatred is just an added bonus for ya'll to enjoy. For about the 1000th time- I'm sorry this forum is so cool and I'm sorry that unlike most of you, I dislike the spurs. I didn't know that my membership here required me to stop disliking them. But again, I'm sorry- I know that facing the reality that many, many, many NBA fans really don't like your team must be awful for you.

because after Jordan retired, it could have been Malone's time to win one & dominate, then there's Duncan, then he retired, a new Jazz team last yr almost made it but, then there was Duncan again :ihit

ClingingMars
05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Nah, I spend most of it posting on Spurstalk about how much I disagree with Joakim Noah getting arrested.

awww the pot head is mad

:cry :cry :cry

- Mars

balli
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
because after Jordan retired, it could have been Malone's time to win one & dominate, then there's Duncan, then he retired, a new Jazz team last yr almost made it but, then there was Duncan again :ihit

Straight up. What's wrong with being bitter over that? I wouldn't be a good Jazz fan otherwise. Especially considering the manner in which you managed to draft Duncan.

And BTW, it was Stockton's time, not Malone's.

awww the pot head is mad

- Mars

You really need to get over your irrational hatred of marijuana and those who choose to use it. If the subject ever comes up, you love to hate. Why don't you stick to criticizing things you actually have a clue about.

ClingingMars
05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
You really need to get over your irrational hatred of marijuana and those who choose to use it. If the subject ever comes up, you love to hate. Why don't you stick to criticizing things you actually have a clue about.

lmao, it's illegal, you just need to get over it and accept the law.

- Mars

balli
05-26-2008, 09:31 PM

- Mars

That's all you ever say- "it's illegal"

And all I'm ever going to say is that I'm not a puppet. I don't follow laws- I speed when I want to, I run red lights when I want to, I forcibly break into mormon gyms to play basketball three nights a week, I smoke marijuana. Society is just lucky that I don't want to murder people, because buddy, it ain't the law that's ever stopping me from doing anything.

ClingingMars
05-26-2008, 09:34 PM

And all I'm ever going to say is that I'm not a puppet. I don't follow laws- I speed when I want to, I run red lights when I want to, I smoke marijuana. Society is just lucky that I don't want to murder people, because buddy, it ain't the law that's stopping me.

i suppose you're an anarchist too. have fun serving jail time one day, i hope one of my friends who's gonna be a cop busts your ass.

- Mars

balli
05-26-2008, 09:36 PM
i suppose you're an anarchist too. have fun serving jail time one day, i hope one of my friends who's gonna be a cop busts your ass.

- Mars

Jail? Come at me with it. I've done plenty of time in jail and I'll do plenty more if it happens. I love being made into a martyr.

ClingingMars
05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Jail? Come at me with it. I've done plenty of time in jail and I'll do plenty more if it happens. I love being made into a martyr.

a martyr? :lmao :lmao :lmao

you don't even deserve to type that word in this situation. but we're getting terribly off topic, if you wanna bash the Spurs go to a Lakers forum, not here.

- Mars

milkyway21
05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Straight up. What's wrong with being bitter over that? I wouldn't be a good Jazz fan otherwise. Especially considering the manner in which you managed to draft Duncan.

And BTW, it was Stockton's time, not Malone's.

at least you don't hate the Spurs just bitter over something.

Well, we won the lottery because we were lucky.

Memphis didn't care if Gasol went to LA for nothing might as well tanking their season but Chicago won this yr.

BTW, about last yr if only you made it, I would have been cheering behind Jazz over LeBron. I am a Deron Williams fan, you know :D

Avitus1
05-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Thank God....

01Snake
05-26-2008, 09:52 PM

And all I'm ever going to say is that I'm not a puppet. I don't follow laws- I speed when I want to, I run red lights when I want to, I forcibly break into mormon gyms to play basketball three nights a week, I smoke marijuana. Society is just lucky that I don't want to murder people, because buddy, it ain't the law that's ever stopping me from doing anything.

Wow! You're a badass! :bking

Supergirl
05-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I live in Boston, so they're my 2nd favorite team (SPURS FAN FOR LIFE) but I still want to see the Pistons take out the Celtics, and have it be Pistons-Spurs. Because I am, first an foremost, a fan of the game, and the way the Pistons and Spurs play the game is they way the game should be played. First of all, their players are more loyal to their teams than any other players in the NBA, and the payoff is great team chemistry for both. Chauncey Billups and Manu Ginobili, IMO, are the two most interesting and exciting players in the NBA, and Rasheed Wallace and Tim Duncan are the most fundamentally sound PFs in the league, especially defensively speaking.

Spurs-Pistons - this is the matchup any true basketball fan should want. Lakers-Celtics is for the posers and the people who want all flash, no substance. Spurs-Pistons is the match up I am rooting for.

easjer
05-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Frankly, if the Spurs can pull it off and beat LA, then bring on Boston. Might as fucking well. Then they can take out every single one of the teams the media put over them. That would be the sweeter matchup in so many ways. No fucking asterisk there - they can just beat the shit out of them.

I so very much want that to happen - beat the fuck out of LA (start by focusing on winning game 4 and evening up the series) and then take on Boston. Hell yeah, that would be sweet.

TampaDude
05-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Spurs in 6.

Pistons in 6.

Spurs and Pistons in the Finals. BOOK IT.

:toast

pawe
05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Id rather see the Celtics reach the finals along with the Spurs. KG vs TD FTW!!

MaNuMaNiAc
05-27-2008, 08:35 AM

:lmao

Is anyone else getting the image of a 12 year old nerd with braces while reading this?

MadDog73
05-27-2008, 08:39 AM
"Just imagine if the Lakers were to clinch the series in Boston and Jackson gets to light up a stogie in the Garden to celebrate. Those would certainly be ingredients of his choice."

Ouch. Red is spinning in his grave.

ATXSPUR
05-27-2008, 10:51 AM

it used to be illegal for blacks and whites to attend the same schools. so I guess that idea is terrible as well?

and I say this having never smoked pot in my life. I have no plans to either.

and just to make it clear i think that jazz fan is a moron.

Doug Collins
05-27-2008, 11:31 AM

- Mars

What's with all the marijuana hate? All it does is make people happy and more appreciative of their surroundings. Lots of things are illegal, doesn't mean you can't have a good time doing them.:downspin::hat

DarrinS
05-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I guess this guy would be excited by watching two guys playing the hoops machine at Dave and Busters. Heaven forbid there are any defenders.

balli
05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Game 1: SAS 84, DET 69

Game 2: SAS 97, DET 76

Game 3: DET 96, SAS 79

Game 4: DET 102, SAS 71

Game 5: SAS 96, DET 95 (OT)

Game 6: DET 95, SAS 86

Game 7: SAS 81, DET 74

Ooooooh, captivating. Look the one team even managed to barely break 100 in one of those games. And the 4 low-scoring blowouts were just incredibly awesome. And do you remember Robert Horry's dunk? I mean there weren't any other cool plays in that series, but hey, watching a washed up cheap shot artist get one slam, made it all soooooo worth it! And the 85 ppg average was just great too, cause I just hate it when teams get out in transition and try to actively score points. I remember watching those games and having like so. much. fun. Yessir, fuck Kobe, athleticism or highlights, I just want me some Bowen on Rip Hamilton. I can't wait to see a bunch of missed shots and box-outs for defensive rebounds, because that's what I watch basketball for. I like to see who can try to score the least, but still win the game. Can you say exciting people!

41times
05-27-2008, 01:01 PM
As predicted the day that the Lakers "traded" for Pau Gasol, a Lakers vs. Celtics is about as sure of a thing as you can get from the NBA and David Sperm.

The bad news for Boston is by the time they get there, they will have played @ 21 playoff games. And that my friend is the kiss of death for the Big 3 old men.

My research fails me at the moment, but i don't thing any team has ever won an NBA title playing 25 playoff games or more?

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:02 PM

Is anyone else getting the image of a 12 year old nerd with braces while reading this?

no braces, though..they would hinder the drugs

- Mars

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
What's with all the marijuana hate? All it does is make people happy and more appreciative of their surroundings. Lots of things are illegal, doesn't mean you can't have a good time doing them.:downspin::hat

it kills brain cells and other shit, but if people are dead set on destroying themselves, you can't really do anything but fight it as much as you can.

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
no braces, though..they would hinder the drugs

- Mars

Mars- STFU. I just found out you're 18. Get back to me when you're able to think and act like an adult.

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:05 PM
watching a washed up cheap shot artist get one slam made it all so worth it!

:cry :cry

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:05 PM
you can't really do anything but fight it as much as you can.

- Mars

No, what you can do is start minding your own fucking business. I mean you got options and choices here besides black and white.

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Mars- STFU. I just found out you're 18. Get back to me when you're able to think and act like an adult.

uh oh, the pothead has read the birthday thread! armed with knowledge about me!

- Mars

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
No, what you can do is start minding your own fucking business. I mean you got options and choices here besides black and white.

forgive me for actually giving a shit about the quality of another person's life. i shall never do so again.

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Uh oh. The close minded bigot is out of ideas!

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Uh oh. The close minded bigot is out of ideas!

the pothead is out of ideas and is forced to use ad hominem!

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:10 PM
forgive me for actually giving a shit about the quality of another person's life. i shall never do so again.

- Mars

Mars it's not your fucking job or place to give a shit about the quality of my life. I don't know you and really, you know next to nothing about me. Given that fact, it is not moral for you to meddle in or judge the affairs of my personal life. You don't get to act like a moral policeman in other peoples' lives because you make the excuse that you care about them. Especially when we're talking about somebody you know nothing about. My quality of life is great BTW.

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 01:12 PM
So it's settled. To be a Jazz fan you have to use illegal drugs.

balli
05-27-2008, 01:13 PM
At least come playoff time.

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Mars it's not your fucking job or place to give a shit about the quality of my life. I don't know you and really, you know next to nothing about me. Given that fact, it is not moral for you to meddle in or judge the affairs of my personal life. You don't get to act like a moral policeman in other peoples' lives because you make the excuse that you care about them. Especially when we're talking about somebody you know nothing about. My quality of life is great BTW.

mmk, then i guess we should shut down all charities and homeless shelters cause people shouldn't ever care about other people!!! :toast

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:17 PM
mmk, then i guess we should shut down all charities and homeless shelters cause people shouldn't ever care about other people!!! :toast

- Mars

I hate to tell you this mars, but you are not being charitable. Rather you are someone who is making insulting insuations and bigoted remarks about marijuana users. Don't confuse your mean-spirited and intrusive behavior regarding marijuana use with compassion or charity for the homeless. :lol

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I hate to tell you this mars, but you are not being charitable. Rather you are someone who is making insulting insuations and bigoted remarks about marijuana users. Don't confuse your mean-spirited and intrusive behavior with compassion or charity for the homeless. :lol

:lmao :lmao :lmao

ok, it's mean-spirited and intrusive to care about people who are ruining their life with drugs...i get it.

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

ok, it's mean-spirited and intrusive to care about people who are ruining their life with drugs...i get it.

- Mars

Mars- you don't care. What part of constantly attacking/ridiculing my decision are you confusing with caring. If you really cared you'd probably send me some info on a treatment center, repectfully tell me why you disagree and then you'd let the issue rest.

As it is making jokes about not being able to smoke weed through braces and referring to me as nothing but "pothead" is neither caring nor compassionate. In fact, I think you once told me to walk in front of a bus because nobody would miss another pothead. Yeah, real compassionate mars. The only thing you care about is being a hurtful fuck, that's what I think.

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
In fact, I think you once told me to walk in front of a bus because nobody would miss another pothead.

I recall nothing even close. Link or it didn't happen.

- Mars

Jimcs50
05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
What makes anyone think that Boston-LA would be a an exciting series??? Boston has been a low scoring team in these playoffs and with their D, the Lakers will not be scoring in the 100s very often as well. In fact, Boston scores 4 pts less per game than do our boring Spurs

The only reason to want that series is for nostalgia, for people to relive the fabulous 80's when the NBA was at it's pinnacle.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Why don't both of you just shut the fuck up and agree to disagree? I say this because I care

P.S. Mars, you're trying to convince a pothead that pot is wrong?? WTF? are you serious?? Good luck with that :lol

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Why don't both of you just shut the fuck up and agree to disagree? I say this because I care

P.S. Mars, you're trying to convince a pothead that pot is wrong?? WTF? are you serious?? Good luck with that :lol

he whines about his precious pot being illegal wherever he can fit it in, including this thread, it's about time somebody called him out on it.

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:38 PM
^ You're right, that was that douche Harry Callahan.

But again mars, don't make the argument that you should somehow be sanctioned to say what is best for me or for my life. You are not a moral authority, you really aren't. And please, drop the comparison between charity for the homeless and your hatred of marijuana- they are not even close to the same issue. Your legality=morality argument is fucked too. Basically, you lack credibility of logic in nearly every argument you've made. If you really cared, you certainly have a fucked way of showing it.

balli
05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
he whines about his precious pot being illegal wherever he can fit it in, including this thread, it's about time somebody called him out on it.

- Mars

All I did was barely mention, in passing reference, another thread regarding Joakim Noah getting arrested and this is what you came back with. I wasn't even complaing about it, just mentioning the thread. Boy, that sure was charitable and compassionate of you mars.

awww the pot head is mad

- Mars

balli
05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
What makes anyone think that Boston-LA would be a an exciting series??? Boston has been a low scoring team in these playoffs and with their D, the Lakers will not be scoring in the 100s very often as well. In fact, Boston scores 4 pts less per game than do our boring Spurs

The only reason to want that series is for nostalgia, for people to relive the fabulous 80's when the NBA was at it's pinnacle.

I don't think it will be necesarrily exciting, but it's already been proven in 2005that SA/DET was awful. I don't really care which boring team comes out of the east, but I do know that the triangle, Kobe (AKA the best athlete/player in the NBA) and a team that was top five in scoring is going to stand a better chance than the Spurs of making the series interesting to watch.

Doug Collins
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
it kills brain cells and other shit, but if people are dead set on destroying themselves, you can't really do anything but fight it as much as you can.

- Mars

You've been watching too many public service announcements. There have been tons of highly successful marijuana users despite the alleged "bad side effects". The list is long and distinguished: Josh Howard, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Jenna Bush, Laura Bush, Ricky Williams, Dave Chapelle, Snoop Dogg, The cast of TV's 7th Heaven, etc. I would go on but I'm starting to forget what I'm writing about.

In all honesty, smoking weed is no worse than drinking alcohol. But I'm guessing you're against drinking and probably pre-marital sex as well.:bking

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
^ You're right, that was that douche Harry Callahan.

But again mars, don't make the argument that you should somehow be sanctioned to say what is best for me or for my life. You are not a moral authority, you really aren't. And please, drop the comparison between charity for the homeless and your hatred of marijuana- they are not even close to the same issue. Your legality=morality argument is fucked too. Basically, you lack credibility of logic in nearly every argument you've made. If you really cared, you certainly have a fucked way of showing it.

because this is a forum, so i don't have a real way of expressing my care to anyone. I can work at park place and wherever else and help people out with all sorts of problems the best I can, but when it comes down to it, I can't help you. I was just sick of you inserting your opinion about pot in every single post you make.

- Mars

ClingingMars
05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
All I did was barely mention, in passing reference, another thread regarding Joakim Noah getting arrested and this is what you came back with. I wasn't even complaing about it, just mentioning the thread. Boy, that sure was charitable and compassionate of you mars.

it was in sarcastic jest, a joke. please don't tell me you took that seriously.

- Mars

balli
^ Plus, it doesn't kill brain cells. Again, that was just mars talking about something he is in actuality completely ignorant about. What it does mars is clog up neuro-synapsi and thicken cell walls. It doesn't kill anything- that would be meth.

Doug Collins
I don't think it will be necesarrily exciting, but it's already been proven in 2005that SA/DET was awful. I don't really care which boring team comes out of the east, but I do know that the triangle, Kobe (AKA the best athlete/player in the NBA) and a team that was top five in scoring is going to stand a better chance than the Spurs of making the series interesting to watch.

SA/DET wasn't awful. As a spurs fan I thoroughly enjoyed it and Game 5 was probably one of the best finals games ever.

I bet if you rewatched the series after toking up and with Pink Floyd playing in the background you would enjoy it a little more.

balli
05-27-2008, 01:51 PM
because this is a forum, so i don't have a real way of expressing my care to anyone. I can work at park place and wherever else and help people out with all sorts of problems the best I can, but when it comes down to it, I can't help you. I was just sick of you inserting your opinion about pot in every single post you make.

- Mars

Okay at least you admit it. But realize mars I rarely mention weed. The only reason I was even talking about it is because an NBA player was arrested for it. Go back and look at all my posts, put together a statistical analysis of how many mention marijuana rights and then get back to me, but don't accuse me of mentioning it in every post I make because nothing could be further from the truth.

balli
05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
SA/DET wasn't awful. As a spurs fan I thoroughly enjoyed it and Game 5 was probably one of the best finals games ever.

I bet if you rewatched the series after toking up and with Pink Floyd playing in the background you would enjoy it a little more.

The last minutes of games 5,6 and 7 were exciting, but lets be honest here- a series featuring four blowouts and an average score of 85 does leave at least something to be desired.

MarceloM!
05-27-2008, 02:53 PM

Legalize IT! let's the people decide about use it or not and don't treat them as criminals. Criminals are those invading countries and killing innocent people.

EVAY
05-27-2008, 03:02 PM

We'll surely miss you.

balli
05-27-2008, 03:05 PM
We'll surely miss you.

And everybody else- again:

Ooooooh, captivating. Look the one team even managed to barely break 100 in one of those games. Nevermind that it was a 30 point difference. And the 4 low-scoring blowouts were just incredibly awesome. And do you remember Robert Horry's dunk? I mean there weren't any other cool plays in that series, but hey, watching a washed up cheap shot artist get one slam, made it all soooooo worth it! And the 85 ppg average was just great too, cause I just hate it when teams get out in transition and try to actively score points. I remember watching those games and having like so. much. fun. Yessir, fuck Kobe, athleticism or highlights, I just want me some Bowen on Rip Hamilton. I can't wait to see a bunch of missed shots and box-outs for defensive rebounds, because that's what I watch basketball for. I like to see who can try to score the least, but still win the game. Can you say exciting people!

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Ooooooh, captivating. Look the one team even managed to barely break 100 in one of those games.

Yes! It doesn't even count as a basketball game unless somebody scores 100 points!

balli
05-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Yes! It doesn't even count as a good basketball series unless somebody occasionally scores 100 points without having 4, 20-30 pt blow outs!

Fixed.

nkdlunch
05-27-2008, 03:15 PM
And everybody else- again:

Ooooooh, captivating. Look the one team even managed to barely break 100 in one of those games. Nevermind that it was a 30 point difference. And the 4 low-scoring blowouts were just incredibly awesome. And do you remember Robert Horry's dunk? I mean there weren't any other cool plays in that series, but hey, watching a washed up cheap shot artist get one slam, made it all soooooo worth it! And the 85 ppg average was just great too, cause I just hate it when teams get out in transition and try to actively score points. I remember watching those games and having like so. much. fun. Yessir, fuck Kobe, athleticism or highlights, I just want me some Bowen on Rip Hamilton. I can't wait to see a bunch of missed shots and box-outs for defensive rebounds, because that's what I watch basketball for. I like to see who can try to score the least, but still win the game. Can you say exciting people!

huh, that was one the most competitive Finals series in years. but what do you know, youre a jazz fan :rollin

balli
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
huh, that was one the most competitive Finals series in years. but what do you know, youre a jazz fan :rollin

If you want to call an average point differential of 21 and four blowouts competitive, be my guest.

I mean, I really didn't know two boring and low scoring teams turning the finals into a best of three with an 87 ppg average was considered one of the most competitive NBA events in years.

Kermit
05-27-2008, 03:47 PM
So don't watch. Load yourself a big, fat bowl and enjoy the entertainment that Arena Football provides.

balli
05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Cubs baseball? Hopefully they're on the road and playing night games that week.

Kermit
05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Cubs baseball? Hopefully they're on the road and playing night games that week.

Cubs fan? Your sports pain threshold must be off the charts.

balli
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Cubs fan? Your sports pain threshold must be off the charts.

:lol Probably why I'm such an asshole sometimes.