PDA

View Full Version : Everything you need to know about Boston, its fans, and its media

ShoogarBear
05-26-2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/26/jumping_ability_utilized/?page=full
Jumping ability utilized

By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Columnist / May 26, 2008

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Sometimes you're better off saying nothing. Don't blurt out the thought that's on your mind. Swallow hard and let it go. Be patient and prudent. Save it for later.

Sorry. No can do. Like David Stern, the stockholders of ABC, and every sports fan who lives outside of San Antonio and Detroit, I am excited about the prospect of a dream-matchup, old-school NBA Finals featuring the Celtics and Lakers.

It's folly to even entertain such a thought at this juncture, of course. Bill Belichick would lock me in a Gillette Stadium kitchen freezer if he heard me talking about a Super Bowl rematch with the Giants on the eve of the AFC Championship. John Henry would buy out the New York Times Co.'s 17 percent interest in the Red Sox if the Globe speculated on a Sox-Cubs World Series while the Franconamen were still in the middle of an ALCS with the Tigers.

Can't help it. The Celtics are ahead of the Pistons, and the Lakers are ahead of the Spurs, and by this time next week we could be knee deep in Magic/Larry throwback jerseys and "Beat LA" chants. It'll be time to dust off that video of Kevin McHale taking down Kurt Rambis on the breakaway at the Forum in 1984.

If things go according to plan, Game 1 of Celtics vs. Lakers starts next Thursday night at the Garden (Tuesday if by some miracle the Celtics and Lakers both win in five).

It's been a while since the Celtics and Lakers met in the Finals. Those Rambis Youth Kids of 1987 today have AARP cards. The retro black-frame eyeglasses they once wore for fashion now have bifocal lenses.

The Celtics have a long way to go before getting to the Finals, of course. Before Saturday night's game at the Palace, there was doubt Boston ever would win a road game in these playoffs. The Pistons are a formidable opponent with a roster of grown-ups and six straight appearances in the conference finals. Detroit is a good bet to win tonight, and knot the series at 2. The Pistons have demonstrated the ability to win at the Garden.
But the Celtics have reclaimed home-court advantage, Chauncey Billups (hamstring injury) is playing like Chauncey the Gardener, Rasheed Wallace takes a lot of nights off, and Flip Saunders looks about as secure as Willie Randolph. So I've been saying Celtics in six. Or seven.

Whenever it happens, the Lakers will be waiting. And the NBA will have its best showcase since Michael Jordan retired.

Celtics-Lakers was the theme of these playoffs before they even began. Sports Illustrated introduced its postseason preview with an April cover that featured Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett next to the headline: "Playoff Dreams, Lakers vs. Celtics? The Ultimate Crowd-Pleaser."

The story lines will be spectacular. We can go way back to the 1960s when the Lakers never could beat the Celtics in the Finals. There was Frank Selvy's shot and six Lakers teams sent home by the Green. There was the night Jack Kent Cooke filled the Forum ceiling with balloons, infuriating Red Auerbach and inspiring Bill Russell in his last professional game. The '69 Celtics beat a Lakers team that had Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor. It was the last roundup for Russell and Sam Jones.

And then Larry and Magic exploded on the scene in 1979 and put the NBA on the map forever. The three Celtics-Lakers Finals in the 1980s did more for the league than anything since the 24-second clock. They were as celebrated and memorable as the three Ali-Frazier fights. Hall-of-Famers roamed the floor and Jack Nicholson flew back and forth between Boston and Los Angeles. In 1984, Nicholson flew alongside the Celtics in first class, and Jack ignored the in-flight movie, "Terms of Endearment."

Danny Ainge and Mitch Kupchak played against one another in the 1984 and 1985 Finals. Now they are the general managers of their respective teams.
Luke Walton was a little kid who lived in a big drafty house in Cambridge when his dad played for the world champion Celtics in 1986. Now Luke is a millionaire sub for the multitalented, soon-to-be Western Conference champs from Los Angeles.

Phil Jackson? When the Celtics beat the Lakers in the Finals in 1984, Jackson was coach of the Albany Patroons of the CBA. Chief Triangle since has won nine NBA championships as a head coach, putting him in a tie for first with Auerbach. Red always resented Jackson, and denying Jackson No. 10 would be one more bit of incentive for the 2008 Celtics.

But first the Lakers need to finish off the Spurs. And the Celtics still have little bit of business with the Pistons.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-26-2008, 04:47 PM
man, its going to be fun ruining this little bitch's parade :lol Spurs in 6

atxrocker
05-26-2008, 04:54 PM
man, its going to be fun ruining this little bitch's parade :lol Spurs in 6

:lol:lol man it's gonna be fun reading this forum after the spurs game 5 exit

SouthernFried
05-26-2008, 04:59 PM
They talk about the "DREAM" matchup...and then use players names who ain't even on rosters.

This ain't Larry Bird and Magic. Not even close.

These guys wanna relive the 80's...and will superimpose their youth on the current crop of players. "It's gonna be like the old matchups"

No it's not you dolt.

christ... roflmao

1Parker1
05-26-2008, 05:06 PM
If things go according to plan, Game 1 of Celtics vs. Lakers starts next Thursday night at the Garden (Tuesday if by some miracle the Celtics and Lakers both win in five).

I thought I saw a tv ad for the NBA Finals starting June 10th or something?

SouthernFried
05-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Both Boston and LA of the 80's were "TEAMS."

Magic, Kareem and Worthy...Bird, McHale, Parrish...etc.

Teams...you know.

Like the Spurs.

If these idiots writing shit like this were honest...the Spurs are more like the old Boston and LA teams than the current LA and Boston teams.

fucking morons.

baseline bum
05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
From the publication that brought you...
http://pure-essence.net/stuff/sports/19-0book.jpg
:lol

PlayoffEx-static
05-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Why is this a dream? Boston is as much of a shutdown defensive team as we are. What they fail to understand is that the product is worse and more diluted now than it ever has been. People don't tune out because the Spurs are playing. They just don't like the isolation play that most teams use. The Lakers and Celtics still play in the regular season, don't they? Why are the ratings there worse than ever, then? The Finals have been on a downward spiral since MJ left. KG vs Kobe isn't going to fix that. The Golden Child certainly didn't last year. Networks are ALL bleeding viewers for ALL types of programming. There are just too many choices. Back in the Bird/Magic days you had 3 networks and maybe 2-3 local UHF stations. If you had cable, there were maybe 20-25 channels. Now, you have HUNDREDS of channels to choose from if you are in the majority and have cable or satellite.

Mamba24
05-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Well the Spurs in the Finals isn't going to help ratings, that's for sure. Boston is actually pretty boring. I fell asleep during three of those Cavs/Boston games. Oy. I would rather have Detroit and LA in the Finals, just to watch Rasheed's head explode every time a call didn't go his way.

Strike
05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
:lol:lol man it's gonna be fun reading this forum after the spurs game 5 exit

Man it's already fun reading your posts and seeing the shit-ass no longer championship contender "Sacramento Kings" under your screen name.

I am Jack's middle finger. :flipoff

theMUHMEshow
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
LMFAO @ premature ejaculation

theMUHMEshow
05-26-2008, 10:57 PM
AHH yes...

How did that go again?

SPARKY
05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Why is this a dream? Boston is as much of a shutdown defensive team as we are. What they fail to understand is that the product is worse and more diluted now than it ever has been. People don't tune out because the Spurs are playing. They just don't like the isolation play that most teams use. The Lakers and Celtics still play in the regular season, don't they? Why are the ratings there worse than ever, then? The Finals have been on a downward spiral since MJ left. KG vs Kobe isn't going to fix that. The Golden Child certainly didn't last year. Networks are ALL bleeding viewers for ALL types of programming. There are just too many choices. Back in the Bird/Magic days you had 3 networks and maybe 2-3 local UHF stations. If you had cable, there were maybe 20-25 channels. Now, you have HUNDREDS of channels to choose from if you are in the majority and have cable or satellite.

Couldn't agree more. The ratings would be good as you would have teams from two of the top 10 US media markets in the Finals, but this is a different era.

OldSilentHill
05-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Letīs ruin their money dreams.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't understand why a Spurs-Pistons or even a Lakers-Pistons matchup is not being hyped. Finals rematches that are actually relevant to today's nba instead of based on irrelevant history when the game talent was very different and the game play was very different.

PacerFan
05-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Typical East-coast, asshole arrogance. Everyone except Detroit and San Antonio want LA/Boston? Hey prick, speak for your own minority hating, upper class cesspool. I know just as many people who want to see Detroit/SA as LA/Boston.

Bob Lanier
05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Shaughnessy's THE MAN!!!
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4810/big3un1.jpg
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :lobt2:

theMUHMEshow
05-26-2008, 11:40 PM
*winks eye*

SPARKY
05-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Then again, there are probably enough morons in the US who would be expecting to see Magic and Bird suit up...

YoMamaIsCallin
05-27-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't get the "Lakers vs. Celtics! WOW!" mentality.

The two teams are completely, 100 percent, different than they were back in the Bird/Magic days. Different players (obviously). Different coaches. Different general managers. Different history.

The other thing to remember is... both teams got to where they are by really questionable sweetheart deals. How the hell did LA get Gasol AND Fisher? Without those two additions, the Lakers are what they were before this year, a tough first-round and second-round out team. And how the hell did the Celtics get KG AND Allen? Without those two the Celtics are a first round out. The league is obviously trying for something via these wink-wink deals.

The TWolves, Sonics, and Grizzlies were obviously promised SOMETHING by the league. The Sonics? That's pretty obvious... permission to move to OKC. The Wolves and Grizz are going to get something really good... just wait and see.

slowchild25
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
The TWolves, Sonics, and Grizzlies were obviously promised SOMETHING by the league. The Sonics? That's pretty obvious... permission to move to OKC. The Wolves and Grizz are going to get something really good... just wait and see.

I think it's more the fact that the Sonics are slashing payroll and putting out an inferior product to drive Seattle fans out of the arena while getting young players that will actually be able to play when they get to OKC.

As for the Wolves and Grizz they are just run by two complete morons. You do realize that the Wolves are the ones that paid Joe Smith (JOE FREAKING SMITH) under the table and lost out on about 18 years worth of draft picks because of it and Grizz GM Chris Wallace once traded for a known alcoholic.

If the Lakers win the title they should send a nice big championship ring as well as the finals MVP trophy to Wallace.

m33p0
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Whenever it happens, the Lakers will be waiting.
The Spurs already lost the series? When did this happen?

MadDog73
05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Let's face it...

it's not about KG and Kobe (we saw that already, in 2004).

No, it's about those who think that the Minneapolis Lakers winning 5 Championships in the 1950's somehow matters today.

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
The Timberwolves, Grizzlies, and Sonics each have moved big ticket players within the past year. Granted, some players are worth their large salaries. But each of the players moved had at least one recent season in which they were unable to carry their team into the post-season prior to their being moved.

It wasn't a real shock that any of those players were traded. There are maybe 5 truly untradeable players in the league today, if that.

miss paxton
05-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't get the "Lakers vs. Celtics! WOW!" mentality.

The two teams are completely, 100 percent, different than they were back in the Bird/Magic days. Different players (obviously). Different coaches. Different general managers. Different history.

I think from the media perspective they love the built-in advantage they would get with the #2 (LA) and #7 (Boston) television markets. They also have a "true" East Coast-West Coast rivalry and the sports media does seem to focus on the coasts and ignore what's in between. To the sports marketing people, Lakers-Celtics sells itself, both due to market size and the history. It's easy to pull out those old clips and sell this as a new beginning for an old rivalry. Throw in Kobe Bryant (best player in the game, trying to win his first ring without Shaq), Phil Jackson going for his tenth coaching ring and Kevin Garnett trying to prove he has the talent to win if he just has the right players, and the script practically writes itself.

Don't get me wrong, I hate how lazy the national sports media tend to be, but from their perspective I can understand why they're excited about it. Whether it's proper for them to project their desires on to the rest of the nation is another question.

ShoogarBear
05-27-2008, 07:48 PM
If the Lakers win the title they should send a nice big championship ring as well as the finals MVP trophy to Jerry West.

Fixed.