PDA

View Full Version : Cassell pissed at lack of playing time

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Sam Cassell won’t go down sitting
By Tony Massarotti
Monday, May 26, 2008

BIRMINGHAM, Mich. - Clearly, these are somewhat turbulent times for Sam Cassell, whose contributions to the Celtics [team stats] this postseason fittingly have traveled along the arc of his jump shot.

In the end, he’s been hit-or-miss.

In Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals Saturday, Cassell was a little of both, getting off to an atrocious start before hitting a pair of key jumpers in the Celtics’ 94-80 win over Detroit.

The point guard’s stint got off to such a rocky start that Paul Pierce [stats] seemed to be openly chastising him on the floor at one point. Cassell responded by helping spark a 10-0 run to close the first quarter that turned a 17-15 deficit into a 25-17 advantage.

Prior to the appearance, Cassell had gone four straight games without playing via the dreaded DNP-coach’s decision.

“It’s very frustrating,” Cassell said yesterday when asked if the lack of playing time was difficult to deal with.

“This is my first year (in the NBA) that I sat out in a playoff game,” Cassell said. “I didn’t get any playing time in four games. That’s my first time ever. It boggles not just me but anyone around, like, ‘Why’s he not playing?’ I’m not discouraged, but it’s tough, ain’t no lie. It was tough because I know I can play.

“All of this is brand new for me. I’ve never been in this situation before. I understand (it), and it’s a role that it takes time to get comfortable with. I’m not complaining about it, but it just takes time to get comfortable in the role.”

Prior to Game 3, Cassell had missed his final 17 field goal attempts of the semifinal series against Cleveland, leading coach Doc Rivers to use Eddie House off the bench in Games 6 and 7. House provided a spark in both contests but has struggled so far against Detroit.

Of course, the primary reason the Celtics brought in Cassell was as an insurance policy for second-year point guard Rajon Rondo [stats]. Though the team’s offense runs far better with Rondo on the floor, Cassell had great value to the second unit - particularly in Games 1 and 2 of the Cleveland series - when he was making his shots.

“I’ve made a couple of ’em in my career - big ones. I’ve missed some big ones, too,” Cassell said matter-of-factly. “I don’t ever get too high or too low in this game. Basketball - it’s a very unique game. It’s about confidence. If I score 30 points or four points, I don’t get too high or too low from it. I take it for what it is.”

On Saturday, his five points meant a great deal.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_05_26_Sam_Cassell_won_t_go_down_sitting/srvc=sports&position=recent

mardigan
05-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Old, crappy and done best describes Cassell now. Celts should never have picked him up. He destroys Boston's offense when he comes in the game, and cant guard anyone.

1Parker1
05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
I hate when opposing team players, especially role players, come out to the media whining about playing time.

Shit like that really makes me appreciate the Spurs so much more. Hey Cassell, you don't here Ginobili bitching about running back and forth from the bench to starter in playoff games. You don't here about Udoka, Finley, Barry, Kurt Thomas bitching about inconsistent playing time.

That's because they know that play time, especially in the postseason has to be earned. And Rondo and House can do a much better job defensively on Stucky/Billups than Cassell ever could. That's why you're not getting any playing time.

dg7md
05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
That's what he gets for riding on a championship-caliber team. He knew he was signing up to a loaded team that in no way needed his services.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Maybe getting Stoudamire wasn't so bad after all?

He's probably too doped up to complain.

JamStone
05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Great veteran leadership rocking the boat, ET.

mystargtr34
05-26-2008, 07:33 PM
:lmao ET

PacerFan
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
I am sure the Celtics are pissed at a lack of production

Capt Bringdown
05-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I would have loved to see Cassell in a Spurs uniform. I think he would have fit in perfectly.

He's known for shooting his mouth off, but I doubt he would have said a peep if he were in SA. Pop and crew demand respect. But the new/old kids on the block Celtics?

In Boston, he probably feels like he can speak his mind because he's getting chastised on the floor by the likes of Paul Pierce. And he's probably had his fill of Doc's coaching buffoonery and KG's monkey boy antics.

PacerFan
05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Cassell perfect in a Spurs uniform? I think the last thing the Spurs need is another vetran who forgot how to shoot this postseason.

Indazone
05-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Sam Cassell won’t go down sitting
By Tony Massarotti
Monday, May 26, 2008

BIRMINGHAM, Mich. - Clearly, these are somewhat turbulent times for Sam Cassell, whose contributions to the Celtics [team stats] this postseason fittingly have traveled along the arc of his jump shot.

In the end, he’s been hit-or-miss.

In Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals Saturday, Cassell was a little of both, getting off to an atrocious start before hitting a pair of key jumpers in the Celtics’ 94-80 win over Detroit.

The point guard’s stint got off to such a rocky start that Paul Pierce [stats] seemed to be openly chastising him on the floor at one point. Cassell responded by helping spark a 10-0 run to close the first quarter that turned a 17-15 deficit into a 25-17 advantage.

Prior to the appearance, Cassell had gone four straight games without playing via the dreaded DNP-coach’s decision.

“It’s very frustrating,” Cassell said yesterday when asked if the lack of playing time was difficult to deal with.

“This is my first year (in the NBA) that I sat out in a playoff game,” Cassell said. “I didn’t get any playing time in four games. That’s my first time ever. It boggles not just me but anyone around, like, ‘Why’s he not playing?’ I’m not discouraged, but it’s tough, ain’t no lie. It was tough because I know I can play.

“All of this is brand new for me. I’ve never been in this situation before. I understand (it), and it’s a role that it takes time to get comfortable with. I’m not complaining about it, but it just takes time to get comfortable in the role.”

Prior to Game 3, Cassell had missed his final 17 field goal attempts of the semifinal series against Cleveland, leading coach Doc Rivers to use Eddie House off the bench in Games 6 and 7. House provided a spark in both contests but has struggled so far against Detroit.

Of course, the primary reason the Celtics brought in Cassell was as an insurance policy for second-year point guard Rajon Rondo [stats]. Though the team’s offense runs far better with Rondo on the floor, Cassell had great value to the second unit - particularly in Games 1 and 2 of the Cleveland series - when he was making his shots.

“I’ve made a couple of ’em in my career - big ones. I’ve missed some big ones, too,” Cassell said matter-of-factly. “I don’t ever get too high or too low in this game. Basketball - it’s a very unique game. It’s about confidence. If I score 30 points or four points, I don’t get too high or too low from it. I take it for what it is.”

On Saturday, his five points meant a great deal.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_05_26_Sam_Cassell_won_t_go_down_sitting/srvc=sports&position=recent

Come back home Sam. You know where your true fans are!

Indazone
05-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Dude sounds like Steve Francis when he came to the Rockets.

pawe
05-27-2008, 12:23 AM
The Spurs woulda gone after him instead of MM if only they waived him earlier. He's a perfect fit here.

K-State Spur
05-27-2008, 12:53 AM
That's what he gets for riding on a championship-caliber team. He knew he was signing up to a loaded team that in no way needed his services.

bullshit. they badly needed a back-up PG.

that he's gotten some DNPs is just an example of how complete his suckitude has been.

i think any opposing coach would welcome any Celtic other than Pierce, Allen, and Garnett to take as many shots as they want - and Cassell is only too happy to oblige.

ludda
05-27-2008, 03:26 AM
The couple of playoff Celtics games Ive watched, the ball stops when Sam I Am comes in. Even though Rondo is up and down, Cassell has yet to show up for them.

whottt
05-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Doc Rivers played for the Spurs when Cassell was winning titles as the Rockets closer...River's no doubt knows exactly what Cassell can do...the fact that Cassell isn't getting minutes is pretty interesting.

Part of it is that Cassell plays no d...

lefty
05-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Nice timing, Cassell

brettn
05-27-2008, 11:58 AM
http://stevesajenko.com/Pictures/sam%20cassell%20alien%20copy.jpg

Sam is not pleased.

Supergirl
05-27-2008, 12:32 PM
See, this is why no team has ever won a championship IMMEDIATELY after bringing in two new stars to the team. Maybe the Celtics will win next year, but I do not think this is their year - they are reverting to crying about playing time and not trusting each other when it counts. The Pistons, on the other hand, know each other well and trust each other when it counts. Pistons will win in 6.