PDA

View Full Version : Memories of San Antonio...

Man of Steel
05-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Chris Duel used to talk every once in a while about certain places and things to do here in San Antonio during the 60's, 70's and 80's.

It was always interesting to hear people recall places where they used to buy records, hang out after school, go on dates, etc. Or as children, where their parents used to take them, favorite toys, stuff like that.

I guess I'll get it started.

I used to love the fact that comic books were 12 cents and soft drinks were a dime. (Yes--I know--I am old). You could ride your bike to Mr. M's after school, pick up a DC or Marvel comic and buy a Hippo Brand Drink or a Frostie Root Beer.

In high school, it was cool to get a bunch of people together and try to sneak into the San Pedro Drive-In.

Friday nights used to be reserved for "Project Terror," with that really creepy music.

After school, watching Popeye and wondering when we would be invited to be on the set with Captain Gus. (again--as kids).

I remember Batman when it first came out. Only one kid on the block had color TV, so all of the kids would crowd over for the two days a week that it would be broadcast. Of course, all the boys used to salivate over Catwoman, Julie Newmar.

Okay everyone--those are just a few items from my old memory bank. What are yours?

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
My elementary school (Kate Schenck) did not have A/C and we used to have to open the windows and use fans.

We used to take field trips to the Buttercrust factory and at the end of the tour, you get a hot, fresh piece of bread with butter. I swear it was the best bread I ever had.

On weekends, my parents would take me to The Flame and we sit in the drive in and eat fish.

As I got older, me and my friends would hang out at Image on SE Military. I saw quite a few fights there.

Too many more to mention....

Man of Steel
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Buttercrust Baker tours--yes! Man that place smelled like heaven--and those big slabs of bread fresh out of the over dripping with butter...

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Buttercrust Baker tours--yes! Man that place smelled like heaven--and those big slabs of bread fresh out of the over dripping with butter...

Yeah, you'd get a slice of bread and two pencils. It was awesome. I don't know what visiting the Buttercrust factory had to to with education, but it was a rite of passage for anyone raised in San Antonio during the 70's and 80's.

Also, I remember being mesmerized as a kid by the Buttercrust sign on San Pedro and Hildebrand. It showed slices of bread falling on a plate and had some kind of mechanized wheel that made it look as if the slices kept falling.

samikeyp
05-26-2008, 10:56 PM
And those brown paper book covers.

Butter Krust gave them out as did Diamond Shamrock.

Places like Burger Chef, First Mate and GW Jr's.

ashbeeigh
05-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Right when my family moved here, circa 1988, the closet eating, groceries, entertainment to our house was at the Colonade. I knew that place like the back of my hand even as a 5 year old. My favorite memory was the I-10 Diner. It was the rad little diner that is probably now some little shop. I remember eating chicken fried steak like nobody's business. I think it ended up closing because they couldn't keep it clean...but I was 5 so it didn't matter to me. :D

CubanMustGo
05-26-2008, 10:58 PM
My elementary school (Kate Schenck) did not have A/C and we used to have to open the windows and use fans.

We used to take field trips to the Buttercrust factory and at the end of the tour, you get a hot, fresh piece of bread with butter. I swear it was the best bread I ever had.

On weekends, my parents would take me to The Flame and we sit in the drive in and eat fish.

As I got older, me and my friends would hang out at Image on SE Military. I saw quite a few fights there.

Holy frick, I went to Highland Hills. We didn't have AC there or at Rogers, it finally was installed my freshman year at Highlands.

We used to do the symphony trips. Once there was a bat flying around in the theatre (it wasn't the Lila Cockrell then) and of course we were all paying more attention to the bat than the musicians ... until the MC came out and said we'd be going home if we weren't good little 5th graders. Went to the state capitol a few times, somehow the dome was always "closed" so we never got to go up to the top.

We didn't eat out much growing up. I remember trips to Floyd's for their 6-for-$1 burgers, Pan Am for the occasional Mexican food fix, and my folks loved to go the the Little Red Barn. And I had a huge crush on a sweet young thing that ran the soda fountain at Highland Hills Pharmacy. I even stole a nickel from my mom a couple of times so I could go up there, act cool (for a nine-year old) and get my very own cone from her. Of course mom found out which quickly put an end to my nascent life of crime.

Mom didn't have a drivers license so when I was a wee one we'd get on the bus which would take us downtown and hit Joskes. Later on when I went to college I could take the same bus to Trinity when the car broke down, which came in handy a few times.

tlongII
05-26-2008, 10:58 PM
You people are OLD!

samikeyp
05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Right when my family moved here, circa 1988, the closet eating, groceries, entertainment to our house was at the Colonade. I knew that place like the back of my hand even as a 5 year old. My favorite memory was the I-10 Diner. It was the rad little diner that is probably now some little shop. I remember eating chicken fried steak like nobody's business. I think it ended up closing because they couldn't keep it clean...but I was 5 so it didn't matter to me. :D

Its now the Fuddruckers there, I think.

CubanMustGo
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
You people are OLD!

So's your act.

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
One thing that I was thinking about the other day was that I used to always see fireflies when I would play outside as a kid. I never see fireflies anymore. Even after I moved out to the sticks (La Vernia) when I got older, I never saw fireflies like I did when I was a kid.

Man of Steel
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Holy frick, I went to Highland Hills. We didn't have AC there or at Rogers, it finally was installed my freshman year at Highlands.

We used to do the symphony trips. Once there was a bat flying around in the theatre (it wasn't the Lila Cockrell then) and of course we were all paying more attention to the bat than the musicians ... until the MC came out and said we'd be going home if we weren't good little 5th graders. Went to the state capitol a few times, somehow the dome was always "closed" so we never got to go up to the top.

We didn't eat out much growing up. I remember trips to Floyd's for their 6-for-$1 burgers, Pan Am for the occasional Mexican food fix, and my folks loved to go the the Little Red Barn. And I had a huge crush on a sweet young thing that ran the soda fountain at Highland Hills Pharmacy. I even stole a nickel from my mom a couple of times so I could go up there, act cool (for a nine-year old) and get my very own cone from her. Of course mom found out which quickly put an end to my nascent life of crime.

Mom didn't have a drivers license so when I was a wee one we'd get on the bus which would take us downtown and hit Joskes. Later on when I went to college I could take the same bus to Trinity when the car broke down, which came in handy a few times.

Yeah--my mom didn't drive either. It was fun to board the bus and ride it into town. Used to drop us right off in front of Joskes.

Man--Joskes was the best! At Christmas time, they decorated the entire store and called it "Fantasy Land," if I am not mistaken. Joskes went all out for this and kids used to just swarm the store to go through Fantasy Land.

You guys that were born too late for this stuff really missed out...

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Yeah, my grandfather would take me to Floyd's as a reward for good grades. It was hard to beat 6 burgers for $1.

Slydragon
05-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Man I spent hours in theses 2 threads alone of old SA

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/155788-gone-but-not-forgotten-photos-7.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/27062-gone-but-not-forgotten-san-antonio.html

Man of Steel
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah, my grandfather would take me to Floyd's as a reward for good grades. It was hard to beat 6 burgers for $1.

Floyd's--that rings a bell but I can't really recall. Do you remember where it was located?

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM

I went to Highland Hills for one year (fourth grade). I drove past there the other day and the school has doubled in size. I don't live on that side of town anymore, but I still work out there near the old McCreless Mall.

Speaking of which, I remember when McCreless was a functioning mall. I got my first suit at the Joseph's there and had my picture taken with Santa there many a time.

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Floyd's--that rings a bell but I can't really recall. Do you remember where it was located?

It's still on Goliad about a quarter of a mile from the Goliad/East Southcross intersection.

Slydragon
05-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I remember being mesmerized as a kid by the Buttercrust sign on San Pedro and Hildebrand. It showed slices of bread falling on a plate and had some kind of mechanized wheel that made it look as if the slices kept falling.

That's a Grande sign now with a speed odometer turning for there fast Internet it says, and before that it was a basketball going into a hoop, don't remember the ad but remember the basketball. Also the Walgreen's there now was a Handy Andy in a old building when it was a Butterkrust sign.

Slydragon
05-26-2008, 11:15 PM
One thing that I was thinking about the other day was that I used to always see fireflies when I would play outside as a kid. I never see fireflies anymore. Even after I moved out to the sticks (La Vernia) when I got older, I never saw fireflies like I did when I was a kid.

Yup, I know what you mean. I would have a blast as a kid in my grandma's backyard putting them in a jar for a night light or (sound gross) smearing them on our shirts so they would glow. Now same house and Zero of them. I saw one awhile back and got all happy like a small kid, wish they was around still so my daughter would have some fun with them like I did.

O-well at least she gets a kick out of rolly pollys like I did.

mouse
05-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Was any of you a crossing guard? I was at Beacon hill elementary school I used to think I was the shit cause I had a badge! :lmao

Slydragon
05-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Was any of you a crossing guard? I was at Beacon hill elementary school I used to think I was the shit cause I had a badge! :lmao

I wanted to when I was first starting school. I thought they was so cool, then I was told you need good grades. :depressed

CubanMustGo
05-26-2008, 11:19 PM
It's still on Goliad about a quarter of a mile from the Goliad/East Southcross intersection.

Same old location with the picnic tables under the carport sort of thing. My mom and brother still live over there (he's her caregiver, God bless him!).

Bill Millers' original location was just across the street on Clark. It was torn down long ago, and that one was also torn down to make way for one of the new models.

There was a Shakey's Pizza place for a few years, we always used to hang out there after HS football games. Highlands actually had a decent football team back then, of course they waited until after I graduated to finally beat Churchill.

OMG, I almost forgot Hipps Bubble Room, a great college hangout.

samikeyp
05-26-2008, 11:20 PM

I was at Colonial Hills Elem. Made it all the way to Sergeant until I got kicked off for punching a fellow patrol. Actually I got accused of spitting on him, that is what he told the teacher because he was embarrassed that I knocked him on his ass. :)

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Didn't there used to be a movie theater behind Central Park Mall? I vaguely remember seeing the Rocky Horror Picture Show there as a kid.

marini martini
05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
That's a Grande sign now with a speed odometer turning for there fast Internet it says, and before that it was a basketball going into a hoop, don't remember the ad but remember the basketball. Also the Walgreen's there now was a Handy Andy in a old building when it was a Butterkrust sign.

In the early 80's my ex, climbed the billboard & stuck a cardboard roach on one of the slices of bread. It stayed like that for about 4, 5 years. I remember horseback riding, in Brack. & the Teen Canteen over by Blossom Stadium. I learned to drive my Dad's '64 Mercedes with a 3 stick on the collumn at Blossom. Damn, just kill me now:toast

:lmao:lmao:lmao

samikeyp
05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Didn't there used to be a movie theater behind Central Park Mall? I vaguely remember seeing the Rocky Horror Picture Show there as a kid.

Yes, the Fox Theater.

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Same old location with the picnic tables under the carport sort of thing. My mom and brother still live over there (he's her caregiver, God bless him!).

Bill Millers' original location was just across the street on Clark. It was torn down long ago, and that one was also torn down to make way for one of the new models.

There was a Shakey's Pizza place for a few years, we always used to hang out there after HS football games. Highlands actually had a decent football team back then, of course they waited until after I graduated to finally beat Churchill.

I don't remember ever going to Shakey's Pizza. I remember going to Godfather's Pizza on SW Military. I also remember the pizza place at McCreless Mall. I used to go have a slice and a soda while my mom went shopping.

Mr. Peabody
05-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Stole these from another site

-before going outside you call 226-3232 to see what the temperature is instead of opening a door or a window to find out.

-The Max played your highschool prom. (or Big Deal or Passing Strangers).

-you hung out at Mr. G's, Illusions, or even better.....Pappys.

-you've ever been dared to steal the Gucci flag from Frost Bros. in Northstar mall. Bonus points if you ever actually TRIED it.

-your mother fed all of the kids with a half dozen chopped beef sandwiches from Bill Millers for $4!

-you ate bean rolls and guacamole cups from Taco Hut.

-you think Henry's Puffy Tacos are too commercial or mainstream.

-you had your little league team party at Shakey's Pizza.

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/archive/index.php/t-51229.html

mouse
05-26-2008, 11:52 PM
I went to at least 9 different Elementary schools.

here is the list of schools I went to in San Antonio that I can remember.

Wood lawn Elementary (2 times)
Beacon Hill (3 times)
John Glenn Elementary
Sunset Hills
Brewer Elementary
Arnold Elementary

Elementary school in North Carolina (don't remember name I was in 2nd grade and only went for 3 weeks)

Elementary school in Fort Benning, Georgia (went for 6 weeks)

Elementary school in FT Campbell KY (I was in the first grade not sure the name)

And was out of school at least two months every year.

Any Book writers out there? I could tell you some stories about living with a bi-polar mother and a Heroin addict father that will keep you entertained for days. :lmao

mouse
05-26-2008, 11:55 PM
I wanted to when I was first starting school. I thought they was so cool, then I was told you need good grades. :depressed

At Beacon Hill you just had to show up to school at least one hour early and be willing to have rocks thrown at you! :lol

marini martini
05-26-2008, 11:56 PM
:rollin
I went to at least 9 different Elementary schools.

here is the list of schools I went to in San Antonio that I can remember.

Wood lawn Elementary (2 times)
Beacon Hill (3 times)
John Glenn Elementary
Sunset Hills
Brewer Elementary
Arnold Elementary

Elementary school in North Carolina (don't remember name I was in 2nd grade and only went for 3 weeks)

Elementary school in Fort Benning, Georgia (went for 6 weeks)

Elementary school in FT Campbell KY (I was in the first grade not sure the name)

And was out of school at least two months every year.

Any Book writers out there? I could tell you some stories about living with a bi-polar mother and a Heroin addict father that will keep you entertained for days. :lmao

Sons of Bitches, Mouse:toast We need to collaberate:blah

mouse
05-26-2008, 11:58 PM

Not only was there a theater, Chris Duel was an usher! :lmao

Man of Steel
05-27-2008, 12:03 AM

I was a crossing guard to Olmos Elementary.

"Signs Out..."

mouse
05-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Sons of Bitches, Mouse:toast We need to collaberate:blah

Wait till you see the list of Jr high and High schools I went to.

It's a miracle I can spell my name. I think that is why I started to do stand up I was so used to having to stand in front of the class 3 times a year telling other students where I was from it must of gave me some good stage time.

I was so used to meeting new kids I developed a routine. :lol

marini martini
05-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I was a crossing guard to Olmos Elementary.

"Signs Out..."

I had a kid, that went there:toast I might know you!:hat

marini martini
05-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Wait till you see the list of Jr high and High schools I went to.

It's a miracle I can spell my name. I think that is why I started to do stand up I was so used to having to stand in front of the class 3 times a year telling other students where I was from it must of gave me some good stage time.

I was so used to meeting new kids I developed a routine. :lol

I was an Army Bratt! I am so not afraid to meet new people!:toast

I went to Incarnate Word, when it started at kindergarden:rollin

mouse
05-27-2008, 12:13 AM
There was a Game room on Houston st you could play for two hours if you had 3 dollars.
My Dad would give me a 5 dollar bill and I would go across the street to the Texas theater and see double features of Bruce Lee and Godzilla movies for 75.00 cents. I still had 1.25 to buy pop corn drink and take the bus home. The bus was 10 cents and you could smoke drink eat and play your radio.

My Dad was a park ranger and we would check on the hippies at sunken gardens smoking weed. Many hippies loved my dad, later I found out he was selling them heroin.

marini martini
05-27-2008, 12:18 AM
There was a Game room on Houston st you could play for two hours if you had 3 dollars.
My Dad would give me a 5 dollar bill and I would go across the street to the Texas theater and see double features of Bruce Lee and Godzilla movies for 75.00 cents. I still had 1.25 to buy pop corn drink and take the bus home. The bus was 10 cents and you could smoke drink eat and play your radio.

My Dad was a park ranger and we would check on the hippies at sunken gardens smoking weed. Many hippies loved my dad, later I found out he was selling them heroin.

Glad I wasn't one of those hippies. Might have been one of my friends, though:depressed

mouse
05-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I was an Army Bratt! I am so not afraid to meet new people!:toast

Now add a Bi-Polar Mother in the mix and you have drama. My Mother would gather us up in the middle of the night to move back to San Antonio just because my dad said the beans were to salty.

Then my dad would show up two days later to take us back in a little ass MG Midget. I would sit on his lap late at night and he would let me drive. I remember one night driving through Louisiana I must have drove at least 50 miles when I looked back I saw my dad was asleep. :lol

marini martini
05-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Now add a Bi-Polar Mother in the mix and you have drama. My Mother would gather us up in the middle of the night to move back to San Antonio just because my dad said the beans were to salty.

Then my dad would show up two days later to take us back in a little ass MG Midget. I would sit on his lap late at night and he would let me drive. I remember one night driving through Louisiana I must have drove at least 50 miles when I looked back I saw my dad was asleep. :lol

FUCK!!! You got me:wakeup

mouse
05-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Glad I wasn't one of those hippies. Might have been one of my friends, though:depressed

I will tell you one more story so the topic can be Un-hijacked

My Dad pawned my Trumpet when I was in the band at Dwight Middle school I didn't notice since the case felt heavy when I got to class and opened the case there was a can of corn inside.

My music teacher said this is not lunch time "Mr. O'Connor" so i placed the can of corn on my lips and acted like I was making trumpet sounds. The students laughed the teacher did not and I was sent to the principles office for a paddling. (remember the wooden Paddle on the ass?)

Between all the lead paint and not having to wear a seat belt in the 70s its a wonder how we made it out alive...............

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Butter Krust, The Alamo, the Missions (pick one), the zoo, and The Institute of Texan Cultures were mandatory field trip destinations for all children of San Antonio de Bexar. The Witte too, IIRC.

I remember Wonderland Mall and taking VIA to see the Spurs play basketball.

marini martini
05-27-2008, 12:34 AM
God, I signed a permission slip to have my S.S, paddled! Fuck, acting like canned corn was you're trumpet! WTF???????? We Did make it out alive:toast

mrsmaalox
05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
This is a funny thread! I didn't grow up here, but my mom's best friend lived here so we visited a couple of times when I was real young. I remember the fireflies too. And riding that sky tram thing at Brackenridge. Also that spot in the park where the water goes over the road was a huge adventure!

marini martini
05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
This is a funny thread! I didn't grow up here, but my mom's best friend lived here so we visited a couple of times when I was real young. I remember the fireflies too. And riding that sky tram thing at Brackenridge. Also that spot in the park where the water goes over the road was a huge adventure!

And I thought you never read "old, previous" posts:lmao, Youngun":toast

mrsmaalox
05-27-2008, 12:56 AM
And I thought you never read "old, previous" posts:lmao, Youngun":toast

Hey I'm bored!! :lol

marini martini
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Hey I'm bored!! :lol

You must be:toast

Wait until, me & Mouses' book comes out:wakeup

You won't be bored for a very long time!!!!!!

Nbadan
05-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Your not old unless you remember The Rocket....

t0yCUT-sRVs

Slydragon
05-27-2008, 01:39 AM
My mom work at Playland park as a teen

DizzG.
05-27-2008, 01:47 AM
My mom work at Playland park as a teen

Did she know TPark? :lol

Slydragon
05-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Did she know TPark? :lol

Yea, he stole cotton candy and candy apples but NEVER ate the apple. :lol

Nbadan
05-27-2008, 01:53 AM
Ghost tracks...

txrj5OrsX8Y

Nbadan
05-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Legend of The Donkey Lady...

piMZ7Pw0TvU

mouse
05-27-2008, 02:38 AM
I met the Donkey lady she was a real ass! :lmao

Mr. Peabody
05-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Ghost tracks...

txrj5OrsX8Y

When I first got my driver's license, I took a girl out to the ghost tracks, thinking it would be fun to scare her. My car ended up running out of gas near Southon road. I made it to the parking lot of a gas station that it turned out was out of business. All of a sudden a couple of banditos pulled in and asked me what I was doing there. It was 10 or 11 at night. I was scared as hell, but they ended up actually being nice guys and helped get my car running again.

05-27-2008, 08:55 AM

-before going outside you call 226-3232 to see what the temperature is instead of opening a door or a window to find out.

-The Max played your highschool prom. (or Big Deal or Passing Strangers).

-you hung out at Mr. G's, Illusions, or even better.....Pappys.

I graduated with the lead singer and drummer from Passing Strangers.

And Pappy's was the going concern when I was in high school. I think I only ever went inside once, the main action was always in the BAC parking lot.

Few others:

Seeing the original releases of Star Wars and Jaws at the Wonderland theater.

Seeing Tron at the Central park Fox theater.

Shakey's and Beef Baron in Central Park mall.

Playing Little Leagus ball where the Babies R Us now stands over by 410/281.

Sitting on the roof of my folks old house to watch movies at the San Pedro drive-in.

Camping and running trap lines on the Salado creek off Coker Loop Road.

No A/C and radiator heat at Coker elementary.

"Duck and Cover" nuke drills in elementary school.

All the elementary classes sitting in the hall to watch a Disney educational movie.

Being able to buy 100 low lead for our cars that burned regular gas from Bear Oil.

degenerate_gambler
05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Watching Project Terror on Friday nights @ 10:30 on Channel 5..

When Loop 410 was just 2 lanes on either side..

When a student green fee at a municipal golf course was just $1..

Kiddie City & Three Bears Hamburger Stand..

And in the summertime...basically getting on my bike in the morning and not coming back home until it was almost dark because you could back then.

FromWayDowntown
05-27-2008, 09:41 AM
I remember seeing two pretty bad movies (Battlestar Galactica and They Went Thata Way (or something like that)) at the Central Park Fox theater.

I have a lot of old memories of the Northwest side, but not surprisingly perhaps, most of those involve old fields that have become something else in modernity. When I was a kid, we practiced soccer in a field that is now covered by the Bandera Bowl megaplex.

And the Max did play my prom and just about every other middle school/high school dance that I ever attended.

Sunshine
05-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Ahhh yes, the joys of growing old and reminiscing about the olden days!

I remember riding my bike the Jefferson Village on allowance day to blow it all at Winn's! My mom shopped at the Piggly Wiggly there and she'd give me a quarter and send me down to either Winn's or Sommers Drugs to keep me busy while she got groceries. And I always knew Christmas was coming when they'd put Santa and his sled up on the roof! Rudolph's nose was a big bright red bulb.

I also remember when Crossroads Mall was Wonderland Mall. There was this cool gazebo like structure (for lack of a better description) in the middle with a pond and fountain and benches you could sit on. Again, I knew Christmas was near when Rhodes put the Santa Claus on top of the elevator. And across the street, about where Luby's is, was Indian Village (?) with Tee Pees and stuff.

Griff's Burger Bar. The Original Donut Hut. Whopper Burger. Wolfe's Inn. El Ezteca. Bruner's. Gibson's. Solo Serve. Fredericksburg Rd Drive Inn. Midget Mansion.

I also remember going "out of town" to buy fireworks and thinking it was sooo far. It was about where Henry's Puffy Taco on Bandera Rd is. :lol

I, too, have had a blast on this website, in particular this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/27062-gone-but-not-forgotten-san-antonio-328.html

Don Quixote
05-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Wow. You people are old.

Growing up in the 90's ... we still had the Donkey Lady. And we went to the tracks once or twice.

We also used to go to Midget Mountain alot.

Sunshine
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Anyone remember The Thief of Baghdad? (not the movie) I think he was a rapist or something who would hide in homes and attack women.

degenerate_gambler
05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Anyone remember The Thief of Baghdad? (not the movie) I think he was a rapist or something who would hide in homes and attack women.

No, but I do remember Fred Gomez Carrasco..

05-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Speaking of Carrasco, how about Joe King playing at Arenson theater and getting in the river while singing "Party Weekend"?

Sunshine
05-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Yep. I remember constantly hearing that name on TV, radio, etc.

DG...seeing your comment about hopping on your bike and not coming home till dark made me smile. My friends and I would ride all over our neighborhood together in the summer! We'd go to this place called Jiffy Mart on Donaldson Ave., ride up to the YMCA and spend HOURS in the pool and as long as we checked in now and then, we could stay out until the streetlights came on.

You always knew who's house everyone was by the pile of bikes on the front lawn.

degenerate_gambler
05-27-2008, 10:55 AM
My friends and I would ride all over our neighborhood together in the summer! We'd go to this place called Jiffy Mart on Donaldson Ave., ride up to the YMCA and spend HOURS in the pool and as long as we checked in now and then, we could stay out until the streetlights came on.

You always knew who's house everyone was by the pile of bikes on the front lawn.

In Kirby, we had a Lone Star ice house that we always seemed to end up at at some point during the day to buy a Nehi Blue or Orange Crush and eat a Chic-O-Stic. Then sit outside and drink it, then take the bottle back inside the store for the deposit which was just enough to be able to buy some gum. Then we went on our merry way.

samikeyp
05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
In Kirby, we had a Lone Star ice house that we always seemed to end up at at some point during the day to buy a Nehi Blue or Orange Crush and eat a Chic-O-Stic. Then sit outside and drink it, then take the bottle back inside the store for the deposit which was just enough to be able to buy some gum. Then we went on our merry way.

We had a Stop-N-Go that was the same to us. It was on the corner of Vance Jackson and Jackson Keller. Green apple Jolly Ranchers and playing Donkey Kong and Defender.

Good times.

CubanMustGo
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Lone Star Ice House FTW !!!

gameFACE
05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
A few places we would go in the summer to hang out was the pool at either Roosevelt Park or San Pedro Park. Cool Crest mini-golf on Fredricksburg Rd. was the mecca of all mini-golf courses. Playland Park on Broadway, too.

We ate at places like the Malt House on the west side, El Rancho downtown, the Bonanza on Broadway and Shakey's Pizza.

Winn's and Bruner's (bought my first record there) kicked ass but Shoppers World was where it was at. It was Target ahead of it's time.

FromWayDowntown
05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
For some reason, all of the mentions of Shakey's has called to my mind Fargo's Pizza (on Wurzbach and Evers) and its in-house movie theater playing loops of cartoons and the Three Stooges. What better way was there to enjoy really bad pizza?

As an adult now, I can see that it must have been absolute bliss for our parents to just send us away to an enclosed room where we'd all be transfixed by whatever happened to be showing.

05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
For some reason, all of the mentions of Shakey's has called to my mind Fargo's Pizza (on Wurzbach and Evers) and its in-house movie theater playing loops of cartoons and the Three Stooges. What better way was there to enjoy really bad pizza?

As an adult now, I can see that it must have been absolute bliss for our parents to just send us away to an enclosed room where we'd all be transfixed by whatever happened to be showing.

In high school I drove for Fargo's off of Brookhollow/281. Stooges were always good, Little Rascal's just as much.

Los Spurs
05-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I grew up in the 80's and I wish I could turn back time!

Hook Dem
05-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Ah yes...........Fred Gomez Carrasco. Bad ass!

bendmz
05-27-2008, 07:17 PM
still waiting on the " WEST SIDERS ".....
1) The Brown Derby on Old Hwy 90
2) Paul Maries on Zarzamora
3) EL PATIO ON THE LUZ.........

The first Saturday of each month, you could get in to see a movie, cartoon, and possibly win a prize all for only SIX PEPSI BOTTLE CAPS at the Texas Theatre.....

samikeyp
05-27-2008, 11:14 PM

Fargo's kicked ass.

implacable44
05-28-2008, 12:01 AM
puffin bills was the only place to eat back in the day man..

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Butter Krust, The Alamo, the Missions (pick one), the zoo, and The Institute of Texan Cultures were mandatory field trip destinations for all children of San Antonio de Bexar. The Witte too, IIRC.

I remember Wonderland Mall and taking VIA to see the Spurs play basketball.

You forgot the Pearl Brewery.

td4mvp21
05-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Kiddie Park!!! I used to go there when I was little and ride the roller coaster every time :lol

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Wow. You people are old.

Growing up in the 90's ... we still had the Donkey Lady. And we went to the tracks once or twice.

We also used to go to Midget Mountain alot.

I thought the donkey lady was something you could see in Nuevo Laredo.

gameFACE
05-28-2008, 12:34 AM
You used to be able to rent paddle boats at the Riverwalk and Brackenridge Park. I wonder why they stopped doing that. The sky ride was cool at Brack, too.

Sunshine
05-28-2008, 06:41 AM
You used to be able to rent paddle boats at the Riverwalk and Brackenridge Park. I wonder why they stopped doing that. The sky ride was cool at Brack, too.

We used to rent the paddle boats...they were a blast!

Taco
05-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Man I spent hours in theses 2 threads alone of old SA

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/155788-gone-but-not-forgotten-photos-7.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/27062-gone-but-not-forgotten-san-antonio.html

THANKS FOR THESE LINKS SlyD :tu

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4032/varsityrazed21480midveb4.jpg

(THE VARSITY DRIVE INN, BANDERA AND CULEBRA ROAD, THERE'S AN HEB THERE NOW)

WE LIVED CLOSE TO THIS DRIVE IN, MAMA AND PAPA TACO USED TO TAKE US THERE, MOM WOULD MAKE SANDWICHES AND ICED TEA, DAD WOULD PULL OUT THE LAWN CHAIRS FOR THEM AND SPREAD A BLANKET ACROSS THE HOOD SO WE COULD LAY DOWN AND WATCH THE MOVIE, AHHHH THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM

.....Southeast sider, eh?

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 11:26 AM
I remember seeing Moonraker and Clash of the Titans at the old San Pedro Drive In.

Going to Stop-N-Go before hand and loading up on snacks was part of the fun too! :)

I can still hear my mother's loving words to this day...

"I'm not paying those damn movie theater prices...its cheaper here!" :lol

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Remember all those deer heads and horns that had at the original Bill Millers?

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
:worthy:Bill Miller's

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Not only did you have a badge, you had that white strap thing that fit over your shirt which you pinned your badge to. Then there was all that rank...Sargent...Lt....Captain. And ordering those other kids with "Signs out"..."Signs in"...."Change sides"...

The first day I was a patrol boy I was trying to dig a hole in the ground by pounding the end of the sign and the top of the sign broke off. Damn I got in trouble for that.

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Actually there were two of them. Sick fucks. They would tie up the husband and make him watch while they raped his wife.

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Ah yes...........Fred Gomez Carrasco. Bad ass!

The legend of Fred Carrasco. Had that shoot out at the Southside Motel.....then that attempted prision break with that Trojan Horse made of books and a chalk board.

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Lampost Inn on Austin Highway?

lebomb
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
puffin bills was the only place to eat back in the day man..

Puffin Billys rail rider special.......big ass hamburger and fries for like $1.50

Los Spurs
05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Puffin Billys rail rider special.......big ass hamburger and fries for like $1.50

I worked at the one across South Park Mall for about 2 months. Their burgers were real good.

spursfan09
05-28-2008, 01:41 PM

I loved the Sky Ride when I was little. I used to make my grandma ride it over and over with me

bendmz
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
while we are talking about Brack, remember Benny Uresti and how he got busted at the park humping that chic that was not his wife.......:wow

Los Spurs
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
while we are talking about Brack, remember Benny Uresti and how he got busted at the park humping that chic that was not his wife.......:wow

No. But tell us the story :wakeup

Chris Duel
05-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Chris Duel used to talk every once in a while about certain places and things to do here in San Antonio during the 60's, 70's and 80's.

It was always interesting to hear people recall places where they used to buy records, hang out after school, go on dates, etc. Or as children, where their parents used to take them, favorite toys, stuff like that.

I guess I'll get it started.

I used to love the fact that comic books were 12 cents and soft drinks were a dime. (Yes--I know--I am old). You could ride your bike to Mr. M's after school, pick up a DC or Marvel comic and buy a Hippo Brand Drink or a Frostie Root Beer.

In high school, it was cool to get a bunch of people together and try to sneak into the San Pedro Drive-In.

Friday nights used to be reserved for "Project Terror," with that really creepy music.

After school, watching Popeye and wondering when we would be invited to be on the set with Captain Gus. (again--as kids).

I remember Batman when it first came out. Only one kid on the block had color TV, so all of the kids would crowd over for the two days a week that it would be broadcast. Of course, all the boys used to salivate over Catwoman, Julie Newmar.

Okay everyone--those are just a few items from my old memory bank. What are yours?

Man of Steel,

Thanks for remembering.

After the NBA season and before the start of God's season (NFL football), we'll be sure to get back to this topic on ESPN 1250.

While Julie Newmar as The Catwoman was my first kiddie crush, as I recall Batgirl was pretty damn hot too.

I'm still pissed off that I had the chicken pox in the third grade at Glenoaks Elementary and didn't get my 15 seconds of fame on Captain Gus!

Project Terror... 12-Star Final... Cooter Browns... Teen Canteen... My Pal Al Aleman... The Hemisfair Arena...

I miss retro San Antonio!

Chris

lrcvsc
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
The 6 Pepsi Bottle Caps it took to watch the original Batman and Robin Movie at the Texas Theater..

The Wicker Baskets you could buy to use as seats during the Fiesta Parades and sit on the corner of Soledad and Houston. If front of that arcade and Coney Island.

GoGatos.
05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Not only did you have a badge, you had that white strap thing that fit over your shirt which you pinned your badge to. Then there was all that rank...Sargent...Lt....Captain. And ordering those other kids with "Signs out"..."Signs in"...."Change sides"...

The first day I was a patrol boy I was trying to dig a hole in the ground by pounding the end of the sign and the top of the sign broke off. Damn I got in trouble for that.

You owe me a beer! :lmao

PlayoffEx-static
05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Man of Steel,

Thanks for remembering.

After the NBA season and before the start of God's season (NFL football), we'll be sure to get back to this topic on ESPN 1250.

While Julie Newmar as The Catwoman was my first kiddie crush, as I recall Batgirl was pretty damn hot too.

I'm still pissed off that I had the chicken pox in the third grade at Glenoaks Elementary and didn't get my 15 seconds of fame on Captain Gus!

Project Terror... 12-Star Final... Cooter Browns... Teen Canteen... My Pal Al Aleman... The Hemisfair Arena...

Chris

Cooter Brown's. Shit, I haven't heard that name in a LONG time. That was the happening place in the early 80s, right up until the change to the 21 YO drinking age. At the time, it was WAY out in the boonies, so only the college kids went there. When they no longer could, it died a horrible tavern death. We also used to go to that tavern in Windsor Park Mall. They had 3 for 1 drink nights during the week, a very attractive draw for a young USAF airman. :lol Ol' ex put back 17 Kamakazis one night, all of which wound up in the back hallway to the restrooms. Didn't quite make it, but I WAS at work the next (or actually that same) morning.

GoGatos.
05-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Chris

About time you posted in here you sick fuck! was sup Chris?
I here your back on @ KTSA! :smokin
Hey Chris! tell me is it true what mouse said, was you once an Usher at Fox theaters at Central Park mall? :toast

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Cooter Brown's. Shit, I haven't heard that name in a LONG time. That was the happening place in the early 80s, right up until the change to the 21 YO drinking age. At the time, it was WAY out in the boonies, so only the college kids went there. When they no longer could, it died a horrible tavern death. We also used to go to that tavern in Windsor Park Mall. They had 3 for 1 drink nights during the week, a very attractive draw for a young USAF airman. :lol Ol' ex put back 17 Kamakazis one night, all of which wound up in the back hallway to the restrooms. Didn't quite make it, but I WAS at work the next (or actually that same) morning.

Wasn't that Chelsea Street Pub in Windsor Mall? Ingram Mall had one too.

Nbadan
05-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Midget (and Gillespie) Mansion San Antonio Local Stories

A lady from San Antonio contacted me via email about Midget Mansion and wrote up a nice little story about her interactions about 24 years ago.

Here is her story

When I was younger, about 13-14 (24 yrs ago) me my brother and friends would drive around the city scaring ourselves....Midget Mansion, Ghost Tracks, Gillespie Mansion, Haunted Baseball Field and the Old Indian Fort...not sure on Donkey Lady (please if you know that info..email it to me).etc.... The one thing that sticks out about Midget Mansion was a wine cellar. As you walked in the entry way winded and would get smaller and smaller...of course that freaked me out and I chose to wait outside. I do remember the pool being HUGE and the maids, servants, guest houses along the edge of the property. I remember after I got married and moved away (in 85-87) listening to news (lived about 400 miles north of SA) and hearing that a raid took place due to neighbors complaining about the cries of animals. Apparently some dumb teenagers who were self professed devil worshippers (dumb kids) were having rituals up there and due to the complaints the police raided, arrested and put up cement blocks to avoid more trespassing.

I do remember hearing most of the kids were bailed out by their parents (just a stage of rebellion was the excuse the parents gave as to why they bailed them out)...anyway.....when I came back for a visit a couple of weeks after the raid a friend and I drove by and you could clearly see tire tracks heading into the property (I'm guess that was the police entering and ambushing) and some tire tracks heading out. I was like...wow!

If anyone remember GECU Gillespie Mansion, from what I was told Mr. Gillespie (Gillespie Ford...etc...the car guy) owned these properties. Once his family out-grew the GECU mansion they moved to the other off of Horizon Hill and eventually moved from that after more builders moved in and started a new neighbor just to the borders of his property. It use to "county" but at the end, there were homes everywhere. Anyway......I just thought I'd pass on what I know and also ask.....did anyone ever go into the hallway, basement, or wine cellar? That totally freaked me! out...It's hard not to believe the spooky stories when I personally experienced that and have no justification for it.....as for the door knobs being low? I went post fire so I didn't get to see all the door knobs but from what I remember the granddaughter (we went to the same church..that's how I know this stuff) saying....grandmother was in a wheel chair and it was for her convenience. Happy Halloween!!!!! Please do not post my email....I'm all grownup, mom of 3 with one married. I was telling my teenage girls about spooky things I did as a teenager and this came up so my youngest looked it up and I found this site so I thought I'd share.....take care.

PlayoffEx-static
05-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Wasn't that Chelsea Street Pub in Windsor Mall? Ingram Mall had one too.

Yeah, that's the place. They were in many malls. I knew someone who had been to one in the Kileen mall. They were sort of a "mall Bennigans".

They had the 3 for 1 drink specials until the state outlawed that practice, so then it was one drink at full price, the next two were a nickel. :lol :toast :toast :toast

Man of Steel
05-29-2008, 03:52 AM
Peppermint Lounge on San Pedro.

Listening to Gary DeLaune give the play by play to high school play-off games.

Streaking.

Man from Uncle lunch boxes

Using old cigar boxes for taking school supplies to school.

Mini Skirts

Paul Venema and Lydia Alegria on the Seven Show in the morning.

Getting in trouble in school for trying to grow our hair out like the Beatles.

Being released from school at Mount Sacred Heart the day that JFK was killed--buses lined up to take us home--all the Nuns crying--dad coming home early from work to watch the TV crying all day long.

Slip and Slides

Bell bottoms in junior high

Lou Roney (sp) on the radio

Mr. Peabody
05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
.....Southeast sider, eh?

Yeah. At least until I moved out to La Vernia at age 10.

Mr. Peabody
05-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Watching Paul Thompson do editorials after the 10pm newscast on KENS.

lebomb
05-29-2008, 09:35 AM
............when the Spurs were good, but never went past the first round of the playoffs.

Los Spurs
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Watching Jammin on Saturday mornings... :downspin:

Melmart1
05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
A few places we would go in the summer to hang out was the pool at either Roosevelt Park or San Pedro Park. Cool Crest mini-golf on Fredricksburg Rd. was the mecca of all mini-golf courses.
I grew up near there, a few blocks from Woodlawn Lake. That place is still open in spring/summer, still the same owner and still playing Frank Sinatra and other oldtimers tunes.

Twisted_Dawg
05-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Playland Park and that old rickety wooden roller coaster.

That big Indian on the roof of Superior Pontiac on Broadway, while when driving north on Broadway, his left thumb made it look like he had a 3' weiner hanging out of his pants.

Pig Stands and The Black Cow.

Concerts at the Municipal Auditorium.

Twisted_Dawg
05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Watching Paul Thompson do editorials after the 10pm newscast on KENS.

...or when he did those investigative pieces and ended with his gruff trademark......"Paul Thompson...Eyewitness wants to know...."

marini martini
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Concerts at the Municipal Auditorium.

Better yet, when you could smoke @ concerts:smokin

Flying bottle rockets in the arena, before concerts:wow

The Arena's floor "moving" like running water, during first LZ concert:dizzy

Los Spurs
05-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Let's not forget, running to your seats instead of waiting for a damn plastic bracelet.

Taco
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Playland Park and that old rickety wooden roller coaster.

The Rocket -- (1947-1980) Built in 1947. At its opening it was hailed as "the largest roller coaster in the world." The first hill measured 78 feet and there was some 3200 feet of track. Playland Park closed in 1980 leaving The Rocket standing silent.

http://www.coasterphotos.com/Playland/images/Rocket4a.jpg

http://www.coasterphotos.com/Playland/history.htm

marini martini
05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Let's not forget, running to your seats instead of waiting for a damn plastic bracelet.

Also, let's not forget..................General Admission, you could sit anywhere you wanted, even stand in front of the stage, @ the dome:rollin

Twisted_Dawg
05-29-2008, 03:34 PM
The Rocket -- (1947-1980) Built in 1947. At its opening it was hailed as "the largest roller coaster in the world." The first hill measured 78 feet and there was some 3200 feet of track. Playland Park closed in 1980 leaving The Rocket standing silent.

http://www.coasterphotos.com/Playland/images/Rocket4a.jpg

Nice work Taco.

Wasn't that Playland roller coaster dismantled and sold several years ago to some other amusement park out of state?

Twisted_Dawg
05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Also, let's not forget..................General Admission, you could sit anywhere you wanted, even stand in front of the stage, @ the dome:rollin

Lets not forget that stampede to buy tickets for the 1975 Rolling Stones shows at the Arena. Everybody lined up for hours at the ticket windows on Market Street......but then it was announced that tickets would actually be sold at the Arena ticket windows. It got nasty when everybody starting running from the Market St. windows to the arena with many people falling down and getting trampled. Typical 1970's Stones concert.

Los Spurs
05-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Lets not forget that stampede to buy tickets for the 1975 Rolling Stones shows at the Arena. Everybody lined up for hours at the ticket windows on Market Street......but then it was announced that tickets would actually be sold at the Arena ticket windows. It got nasty when everybody starting running from the Market St. windows to the arena with many people falling down and getting trampled. Typical 1970's Stones concert.

Damn, I was still in my Mom's womb in 1975.

Taco
05-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Nice work Taco.

Wasn't that Playland roller coaster dismantled and sold several years ago to some other amusement park out of state?

In 1985 Knoebels from Elysburg, PA undertook the huge project of dismantling the ride and moving it to Pennsylvania. Knoebels staff began taking the ride apart in January 1985. The dismantling proceeded smoothly through February and March. Just three months later, on June 12th, the renamed Rocket’s (The Phoenix) orange train made the first successful trip around the reborn coaster. It opened to the public on June 15th to rave reviews and has been consistently ranked as a top ten coaster ever since.

Ride-O-Rama baby!!!!

bendmz
05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Remember when the Market Square used to be The Farmers Market and you could drive your truck up in there and sell your fruits and veggies out of the back of your truck.......
When Mi Tierra use to sit about 50 people and Produce Row was better known as SKID ROW..........

DannyT
05-29-2008, 07:15 PM

The only reason I remember calling them was to hear Frost Banks time, so I could make sure I had enough time to catch the bus

mrsmaalox
05-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Were there psychadelic colors too? :lol Only you Marini! :lol:toast

marini martini
05-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Were there psycedelic colors too? :lol Only you Marini! :lol:toast

YUP!!

gameFACE
05-29-2008, 11:31 PM
I grew up near there, a few blocks from Woodlawn Lake. That place is still open in spring/summer, still the same owner and still playing Frank Sinatra and other oldtimers tunes.
Mel, are you sure it's still open? I tried to take my nephew there last summer and it was closed. For years they still had the coke machine that dispensed a plastic cup, ice and then the soft drink.

In high school I used to go to this head shop called Music 70 on Alamo St. to buy records.

Twisted_Dawg
07-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Watching Dan Cook on the 10 PM news......

marini martini
07-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Watching Dan Cook on the 10 PM news......

:toast

That ugly old bastard! But yea, he was so in to it:lol

tlongII
07-06-2008, 12:56 AM
When I was in San Antonio in 94 I picked up a chick at Champions. That was fun. :smokin

Jimcs50
07-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Who remembers The Electric Light and Sound company on San Pedro?

davi78239
07-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Okay, here we go guys. I grew up on Walzem so here are some of the things that I remember. Lets start with the Mall (Windsor)........Whataburger on the first floor, Arbys and Luca Pizza across from the game room and the movie theater. Chik-F-la on the first floor too before they built the food court on the second. Some music store on the second floor right by a chinese place. The pet store on the first floor right by one of the mall entrances. Montomery wards had a wendy's in there and a dunkin donuts kiosk. How about Toy Box on the second floor and James Avery too. Here's one out of the bag........how about Dunkerbockers on the first floor (it was like a sandwich place or something). Now on to Walzem road (when it was at it's hey day) Yes, I do remember Puffin Billies and Fletchers corn dogs right by it. How about Winchells Donuts where Cici's once was as well and Pizza Inn just across the road? What about some restaurant called Aprin's where blockbuster music use to be, which is also a gonner. Or Gallahgers steak house, which was also right by windsor mall. On to the windrest side now. Remember Luther's BBQ? or what about when they turned it into a Sizzler Steakhouse? Hey, remember Burger king and Jim's on Walzem? Or even DW jr's I think had a location on Walzem once upon a time. And Solo Serve and Service Merchandise? And also a memory of mine even though it wasn't on walzem but yall remember Best Products on San Pedro?

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Or even DW jr's

I think you mean GW jr's.

J.T.
07-06-2008, 01:17 PM
psychadelic

psycedelic

Psychedelic, ladies. Now look into the camera and say "I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader"

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Psychedelic, ladies. Now look into the camera and say "I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader"

:lol

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Burger Chef on Military Drive and 90 near Lackland. It was across the street from where the Taco Cabana is now.

CubanMustGo
07-06-2008, 04:31 PM
The original Frontier (forerunner of Jim's) on Goliad, just north of SE Military and what was then Brooks AFB. I think it's a Chinese joint now.

Ol' Jim Hasslocker made his grub stake over on the SE side and then ran away to the north side, never to be seen again.