PDA

View Full Version : Will Phil sic Kobe on Manu?

raspsa
05-27-2008, 04:20 AM
After his breakout effort in game 3, what are the chances that Phil decides to have kobe try and shut manu down. Or maybe Kobe asks Phil for the assignment.. I see Kobe as the biggest defensive threat vs. Manu and I think its going to happen..

m33p0
05-27-2008, 04:29 AM
maybe not just yet. still have to see how the machine will respond in guarding el cuntosion in game 4. game 5, i say yes.

timvp
05-27-2008, 04:41 AM
I highly doubt it. Ginobili and Parker have both schooled Bryant repeatedly. Plus, Phil knows that Pop would run Kobe off of about 50 screens per possession in an effort to tire out Kobe.

raspsa
05-27-2008, 05:57 AM
We'll see how the Lakers respond defensively.. in their eyes, half the battle is probably won if they can shut down manu . However I'm hopeful that the human defibrillator from Argentina has jolted the team back to life and the Spurs have their confidence and energy back. It will be a terrific Game 4.

TMTTRIO
05-27-2008, 06:35 AM
I think they'll wait and see what Manu does. If he comes out hot and is hitting his shots I can see them putting Kobe on him.

OldSilentHill
05-27-2008, 07:24 AM
I think they'll wait and see what Manu does. If he comes out hot and is hitting his shots I can see them putting Kobe on him.

I really agree with this.

Tyler_Durden
05-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Let's just hope it isn't "Kobe...sick balls!!!"
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/pitbull252/thJoe1.jpg

jmard5
05-27-2008, 07:47 AM
I highly doubt it. Ginobili and Parker have both schooled Bryant repeatedly. Plus, Phil knows that Pop would run Kobe off of about 50 screens per possession in an effort to tire out Kobe.

If Kobe is asked to defend Manu on the perimeter and then also decide to carry the Laker's team offensively, then he will definitely tire out.

DarrinS
05-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Don't know about that, but I'll bet there will be a concerted effort by the Lakers to stop Manu and make another guard shoot the perimeter shots.

Finley should see some good looks tonight. Bowen too.

MadDog73
05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Parker needs to have his break out game tonight.

Give Manu a rest for Game 5... :D

SpurAddict561
05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
That would be dumb of the Lakers though

Kobe is carrying his team on offense already, making him do it on defense would only make matters worse.

SAGambler
05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Don't think they want to tire Kobe out by making him chase Manu all over the court. Do that, and those shots may stop falling for Kobe.

remingtonbo2001
05-27-2008, 08:44 AM
That would be great.

VaSpursFan
05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
i hope Phil is stupid enough to do this

pad300
05-27-2008, 09:28 AM

I have often wondered why we don't occasionally set Bowen up on the opposite corner (from his normal one), and then have him run all the way along the baseline, just to allow us set repeated hard screens on the guy the opposing coach is trying to rest while we play offence...

Cry Havoc
05-27-2008, 09:36 AM
If Kobe was on Manu, you can bet he'd be in foul trouble for most of the game.

What are the odds of the Lakers winning Game 4 with Kobe picking up his 3rd before the halfway mark of the 2nd Quarter?

Manu is an expert at getting players to foul with his body control, even when he doesn't flop. Heck, he wouldn't even have to score to hurt the Lakers. Pop could tell him to exclusively try to get Kobe to foul him, even if it costs a turnover or a missed shot. Kobe in foul trouble = Spurs win.

Vito Corleone
05-27-2008, 09:44 AM
I think you will see the lakers pick their spots on when to have kobe actually guard someone. I know he won't for most of the game but don't be surprised to see him do it for short spells in the game when the Spurs are making a push.

K-State Spur
05-27-2008, 09:44 AM
to be honest - i hope he does.

chasing manu around one that end of court for 30 minutes would make Bruce's job a lot easier on the other side.

Cherry
05-27-2008, 10:23 AM
That would be great.

...for us :D

1Parker1
05-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Definitely not on Manu. If anything I can see him putting Kobe on Parker possibly in hopes of his length bothering his shot.

I think Phil is just waiting on the right moment to put out Trevor Ariza on Parker. Parker's been pretty contained so far this series. If Phil sees him going off, I can see him using Trevor Ariza on him. Which would be great as he hasn't played all season.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Dont think so, that would be wearing Kobe out. I'm sure Pop would welcome something like that eventually or is expecting that at some point. What I do believe is that Manu will get some different looks in Game 4. They may mix Kobe here and there or try doubling him more lets say in the final quarter. I expect some unexpected things thrown at Manu tonight but if he's having a good game it wont matter.

Medvedenko
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
If Kobe was on Manu, you can bet he'd be in foul trouble for most of the game.

What are the odds of the Lakers winning Game 4 with Kobe picking up his 3rd before the halfway mark of the 2nd Quarter?

Manu is an expert at getting players to foul with his body control, even when he doesn't flop. Heck, he wouldn't even have to score to hurt the Lakers. Pop could tell him to exclusively try to get Kobe to foul him, even if it costs a turnover or a missed shot. Kobe in foul trouble = Spurs win.

Yeah, I forgot Sasha has fouled every game when playing Manu.....

MoSpur
05-27-2008, 11:17 AM
If Phil does, Kobe will probably bother Manu and make life hard for him, but Kobe would waste a lot of energy and that would have a waer on Kobe's game offensively. I think Sasha will stay on Manu this game.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/522017175_65c3a5d7e4.jpg

Cry Havoc
05-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I forgot Sasha has fouled every game when playing Manu.....

When Manu has been playing poorly, JJ Redick could have guarded him without fouling.

When he plays like he did in Game 3, it's either foul him or let him score. He's too twisty and slithery to prevent him from getting shots off without a lot of contact.

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Sasha has done a fine job on Manu. Force him to take tough contested shots and live with the results. Do not let him into your paint though.