PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Lakers lack of muscle only historic

Dex
05-27-2008, 09:51 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA052708.buckharvey.en.31f4d16a.html

Buck Harvey: Lakers lack of muscle only historic

Web Posted: 05/26/2008 11:10 PM CDT

By Buck Harvey
[email protected]

Manu Ginobili can’t be any better than he was Sunday. Kobe Bryant can be. And the Spurs should be very, very nervous tonight.

Game 4 will be tight and telling.

But there’s something about the Lakers that isn’t right, even with their 2-1 series lead, even with reason to believe they can fix what went wrong Sunday.

There’s something not right about Weenie, Space Cadet and NSP (Not Scottie Pippen).

When is the last time an NBA team has won a championship with this kind of frontline?

Weenie is Pau Gasol. The other day, Phil Jackson was describing some of Gasol’s shots, and he ignored established coaching terms such as “ill-advised” or “passive.” Jackson went with “weenie.”

Space Cadet is Vlade Radmanovic, a flighty Serbian whose brain cells are often out snowboarding. Jackson has called him Space Cadet, as well as My Favorite Martian. And asked the other day if he had any idea what to expect from game to game from Radmanovic, Jackson’s answer was succinct. “Absolutely not,” he said.

NSP is Lamar Odom. Jackson once thought Odom would be the Pippen to go with his latest Michael Jordan, Bryant. In time, Odom proved to be the ultimate tease, not the ultimate sidekick.

All three appear to be nice men. All three, if placed today in a predraft workout, would make scouts think they were in combine heaven. All three are versatile and mobile, with skill sets rare for their size.

They aren’t completely softies, either. Odom rebounds well, and he combines with Gasol for several blocks a game. Radmanovic stretches the floor, and all three have length, a true defensive benefit.

Accordingly, they fit Jackson’s triangle. They work the floor so well, in fact, Bryant says scoring is easier now than it was with Shaquille O’Neal.

Given that, Jackson may be on his way to doing something that Mike D’Antoni couldn’t — which is win with an unprecedented formula. With a lean and agile frontcourt that moves instead of bulls, the Lakers could win a title a new way.

But that’s just it. It would be unprecedented. Teams have traditionally won championships with at least some power, and in this decade, it’s been with Shaq, Tim Duncan or a couple of Wallaces. In fact, every decade has had the same, from Russell to Olajuwon.

Jackson’s teams in Chicago weren’t power oriented. But they still had big-bodied centers complemented by a bench of bangers. They also had a relentless power forward in Horace Grant for the first three titles and Dennis Rodman for the last three.

Weenie and the guys aren’t that. They lack the physical toughness that plays well in June, and they’ve shown that even while taking a lead on the Spurs. Duncan is averaging 18 rebounds a game.

This is why the Lakers should also be very, very nervous. Do they want to face this Duncan in a Game 7?

Sometimes the mental side is in question, too. Odom drifts, and Gasol looks frustrated, and they combined both on one play Sunday. Then, Odom missed Gasol with a pass, and Gasol showed him up with an exaggerated gesture.

Here, Gasol was saying with his hands, this is where the pass should have been.

“Maybe that flies in Memphis,” a Los Angeles Times columnist wrote, “but not here.”

Gasol is capable of more, and Odom took the blame and went through the kind of postgame restlessness in San Antonio that Ginobili went through earlier in the series. Both will likely be better in Game 4.

But Bryant is the one who makes them successful in the playoff tension, and maybe this is how it works for the Lakers. Their frontline moves well and creates open lanes, and Derek Fisher anchors with some sturdiness, and that sets up Bryant.

Maybe it’s enough. Maybe, because of Bryant, the Lakers overwhelm convention and break through in June.

Then Weenie, Space Cadet and NSP will hold the trophy.

And no one will have ever seen anything like it.

Way to get 'em riled up, Buck. :rolleyes

MadDog73
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
LOL, love it.

Still, the "weenie" looked pretty good on Game 2. Kobe makes everyone around him better... Spurs need to take care of business, I don't want to see Kobe in Game 7 in LA.

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
I tend to agree, but this writer has to understand that Andrew Bynum is injured and he provides everything that is lacking in their Laker's frontline right now. He is a top flight rebounder, excellent shot blocker, good post defender, and can finish with authority. Right now the Lakers are simply making due with the pieces they have, they have no choice but to make it work. It wasn't by design.

L.I.T
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Execution is kind of 'school playgroundish' but the core idea is interesting.

So far they've been incredibly successful and did effectively shutdown one of the top rebounders this year in the last series.

MadDog73
05-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I tend to agree, but this writer has to understand that Andrew Bynum is injured and he provides everything that is lacking in their Laker's frontline right now. He is a top flight rebounder, excellent shot blocker, good post defender, and can finish with authority. Right now the Lakers are simply making due with the pieces they have, they have no choice but to make it work. It wasn't by design.

Good point.

mrspurs
05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
and its that.........wasnt by design, that will catch up to them.......go spurs go

DDS4
05-27-2008, 11:20 AM

I'll admit when Bynum comes back, the Lakes will be downright scary.

ElNono
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Correction. Bynum has the potential to provide all that. Big fucking difference.
On top of that, the writer notes that should the Lakers win, they would do it with this unusual lineup, and considering Bynum won't be back until after the season is over, he's completely correct.

pawe
05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Lotsa teams are going to improve next year. Lakers will definitely be much more stronger with Bynum back but we still dont know what will happen with the Spurs' off season.

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
No Bynum WAS providing all of that you dumbshit. Clearly you didn't watch a single Laker game this season before he went down. How the fuck do you think the Lakers got the #1 seed before Pau came to town? It's because of Bynum and the massive jump that he made.

jcrod
05-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Thats why the Lakers will be scary good next yr and would be the favorites for yrs to come.

tmtcsc
05-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Turiaf's foul was nothing. He was even trying to apologize or ask Manu what the big deal was a few minutes later.

I'm sure Manu probably said "Quit breathing on me Dude.."

YoMamaIsCallin
05-27-2008, 01:30 PM

should have said:

"Right now the Lakers are simply making due with the pieces they have or were handed gift-wrapped, they have no choice but to make it work."

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 01:41 PM
should have said:

"Right now the Lakers are simply making due with the pieces they have or were handed gift-wrapped, they have no choice but to make it work."

:lol however you want to call it

imtehma
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Correction. Bynum has the potential to provide all that. Big fucking difference.
On top of that, the writer notes that should the Lakers win, they would do it with this unusual lineup, and considering Bynum won't be back until after the season is over, he's completely correct.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9efsJwJxYEk&feature=related

Mr.Franchize
05-27-2008, 02:25 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9efsJwJxYEk&feature=related

one of my fav videos ^^ :toast

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Sir Not Currently Playing In This Series.

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
The article hits on what's strange about this series, and what's underwhelming both about this Lakers team and the chance the Spurs could get knocked off by them. They're a tremendously weenie lot. The 2006 Dallas team had a weenie element, but was pretty tough all around, lots of talent and some iron jaws, even if they were a bit weaselly. The Lakers with Shaq and crew were pretty tough, playoff tested and hardened. Then you look at the 2008 Lakers and you see these willowy hothouse flowers. Sasha, Lamar, Pau, Vlad are all pretty un-intimidating, yet they could be the team to finally shut the door on the Spurs. That's kind of dispiriting. What's with this team that makes them that much better even than the Hornets?

Commissioner Stern
05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Athletic, skilled and long. But soft. They may have trouble with a motivated Garnett and a physical Detroit team.

I agree w/ the article.

Dex
05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
The article hits on what's strange about this series, and what's underwhelming both about this Lakers team and the chance the Spurs could get knocked off by them. They're a tremendously weenie lot. The 2006 Dallas team had a weenie element, but was pretty tough all around, lots of talent and some iron jaws, even if they were a bit weaselly. The Lakers with Shaq and crew were pretty tough, playoff tested and hardened. Then you look at the 2008 Lakers and you see these willowy hothouse flowers. Sasha, Lamar, Pau, Vlad are all pretty un-intimidating, yet they could be the team to finally shut the door on the Spurs. That's kind of dispiriting. What's with this team that makes them that much better even than the Hornets?

Fans with this attitude need to realize that we could very easily be UP 2-1 in this series, not down. In fact, it's a travesty that we aren't. But I blame that on a horrendous late game collapse that was probably due to tired legs from playing a Game 7 two days prior, as well as their plane fiasco to L.A. Not to mention some horrible mental lapses from the Spurs and a Laker explosion at the worst time.

The series lead looks daunting, especially considering it was 2-0, but Spurs need to realize that they haven't lost as much momentum as it seems. Tie this thing up tonight, and let's get this done in 6 like it should be.

GT1
05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Lakers are great team man, this series could go either way.

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Lakers are great team man, this series could go either way.

That's the thing. I don't think they're a great team. Like the Hornets, a very good team, but not a great one yet. Hopefully the Spurs can turn it completely around with a win tonight. I felt coming into the series, as I do now, that it's completely within the Spurs' possession to win or lose the series; the Lakers aren't good enough on their own to win it outright.

GT1
05-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Well the Spurs aren't so great this year compared to last or the year before. I'd say they're about equal, Lakers have more talent, but the Spurs have more experience. Without Ginobli the Spurs lose easily. It's their defense that keeps them in games during those famous Spur droughts. The Spurs started off bad in game three where the Lakers jumped out to a 15-8 lead, if Ginobli doesn't hit those threes to shift momentum, Lakers most likely win that game, then what would you have said? They're still not great?

:flag:

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure the Spurs are great, either. They're flying on gumption and will, as you say. I can't help but wonder what one more young player on the bench, someone with scoring ability, might do for their chances, someone like, say, Luis Scola. But that bird has flown.

My point is only that the Lakers are not a great team, the Spurs have been a great team, and at moments still are. That this may well be their last chance, and it's a bit sad, if it happens, that they'll get knocked off by a wimptastic, underwhelming team like the current Lakers.

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
With Bynum the Lakers WILL be a great team. He is the final piece of the puzzle. If he hits his maximum potential.....the Lakers could be one of the greatest teams EVER.

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Wow, are you delusional. Let's see if Bynum can even play basketball again. Baby steps, little one. Baby steps.

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Wow, are you delusional. Let's see if Bynum can even play basketball again. Baby steps, little one. Baby steps.

Did he have microfracture surgery? No, it was an arthoscopic cleanup, a procedure Kobe has had done TWICE on his knees. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill.

Bynum will be back next season and pick up where he left off. The thing you don't understand is that Bynum doesn't need to be a 20/10 guy for the Lakers to be a dominant team.

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
YES the LAKERS will be the BEST TEAM OF ALL TIMES LOL

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
The Lakers are competing for an NBA title right now with the team they have.

When they add a 15/10/3 21 year old 7ft monster of a center you can't dismiss the possibilities of them being one of the most dominant teams ever.

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh, the championships that never were.

Mr. Body
05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, Dazed. The Lakers are going for a threepeat this year.

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't see how adding Bynum will make the Lakers a worse team next season. Enlighten me.

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
And of course no other team will make any moves or bring in their own drafted talent.

Bynum has some promise. Pencilling him in the HOF is a bit much, but I wouldn't expect anything else from that 'tard.

MadDog73
05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Bynum is just one more reason Spurs need to win THIS year.

tmtcsc
05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Bynum is just one more reason Spurs need to win THIS year.

How's that purple Kool-Aid ? Don't believe the hype. Championships don't happen over night.

tmtcsc
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
That's the thing. I don't think they're a great team. Like the Hornets, a very good team, but not a great one yet. Hopefully the Spurs can turn it completely around with a win tonight. I felt coming into the series, as I do now, that it's completely within the Spurs' possession to win or lose the series; the Lakers aren't good enough on their own to win it outright.

I agree 100%. I got slammed by Spurs fans and Lakers fans for saying as much in a different thread. The Lakers were playing awful basketball in Game 2 and we were playing worse. The difference is, we knew we could bounce back because we had before.

Have these Lakers ever been put in a tough situation and had to fight their way out of it ? I give them credit for beating Utah inUtah but lets face it, the Jazz were a little questionable themselves.

MissouriSpur
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Gasol is soft and Odom is up and down. This Laker team is good but not great. A lot of this so called great talk is media hype.

Spur Spoiler
05-27-2008, 05:57 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA..............................idiot!!! !

ForeignFan
05-27-2008, 06:05 PM
And of course no other team will make any moves or bring in their own drafted talent.

Bynum has some promise. Pencilling him in the HOF is a bit much, but I wouldn't expect anything else from that 'tard.

+1. And lakers fans forget that (i) you cannot play Bynum, Odom and Gasol at the same time, (ii) their regular season record is much better since Gasol arrived. In other words, they should not see Bynum as the next Bill Russell, young Shaq or Hakeem. He is quite good, but we'll see whether he makes the next step and what will be the consequences in terms of teamwork when he returns.

DazedAndConfused
05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
It remains to be seen how Odom will fit in at SF when Bynum returns. He may end up being traded for a more natural SF fit.....I hear Ron Artest wants to come to the Lakers. That would be one hell of a team

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Bynum

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 06:20 PM
It remains to be seen how Odom will fit in at SF when Bynum returns. He may end up being traded for a more natural SF fit.....I hear Ron Artest wants to come to the Lakers. That would be one hell of a team

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Bynum

Unless Artest eats Farmar.

Spurminator
05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
The Suns are competing for an NBA title right now with the team they have.

When they add a 26/9/2 23 year old 7ft monster of a center you can't dismiss the possibilities of them being one of the most dominant teams ever.