PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill: "Waltah" to Suns for 2nd Rnder

Solid D
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
G-Dub take note. A long three getting lots of pine time.

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=65285

McCarty-to-Suns on horizon
By Steve Bulpett/ Celtics Notebook
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Celtics were very close last night to a trade involving Walter McCarty [news], according to multiple sources.

The Celts were said to be awaiting a final word from Phoenix, which will return a second-round pick to Boston if the transaction is completed.

Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge had no comment on the matter, but McCarty confirmed he had heard from the club that the deal had gone well beyond the preliminary stage.

It's a move Waltah would welcome after more than seven years in Green. With younger players filtering into the Celtics rotation, McCarty has been getting squeezed for playing time - a difficult situation for a player who turns 31 next week. He'd played just 18 minutes in the three games heading into last night's meeting with the Bobcats and then didn't make it off the bench.

``I'm very excited if it does happen,'' McCarty said before last night's 97-92 Celtics win over Charlotte. ``The Suns are a team that's playing really well right now, and it would be a chance to win. I'm very excited. I think it's close and I just hope it follows through. I don't want to get too anxious and be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

``I've been here for a long time and there's been nothing but good things for me. But I do think it's time to maybe get a change of scenery. I've been very happy with the Celtics organization from the top to the bottom and I've really enjoyed working with the people in the Boston community. Those people will be friends for life.''

By moving McCarty, the Celtics would get out of the $1.5 million player option for next season (though there is reason to question whether he'd exercise it) and get a little roster flexibility. There is also said to be a feeling in management that McCarty deserves a better opportunity, and he would no doubt be a good fit in the Suns' running system.

While Gary Payton is starting and playing well, Ainge may be facing a similar situation with his veteran point guard. Payton has been an exemplary soldier but would like to be moved west to be closer to his family. His mother has been diagnosed with cancer and will start chemotherapy soon. Payton would also like a better opportunity to chase a championship.

Sources say Ainge is looking to see what Payton can bring from other clubs but won't give him away. It's possible that a first-round pick would be enough to pry The Glove loose.

The issue for the Celts would then be leaving the position in the hands of explosive but inconsistent Marcus Banks [news] and rookie Delonte West. Ainge and Rivers are encouraged by the pair, and giving them more minutes would have to help their development. But it could do damage to the short-term goals of a team that can still make the postseason and reap some valuable lessons found only in that environment.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Other trade speculation ... someone is going to end up taking Dale Davis off their hands and end up with $10M cap room this summer.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/basketball/nba/golden_state_warriors/10736958.htm?1c

Warriors mulling over trade options

By Marcus Thompson II

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

OAKLAND - Chris Mullin, the Warriors executive vice president of basketball operations, was back at practice Tuesday, working out and shooting with his team.

After weeks away in Europe scouting, Mullin returns with several big decisions waiting for him.

The looming Feb. 24 trade deadline offers one of the Warriors' last opportunities to make significant changes to roster that has not panned out thus far.

"You're always looking for upgrades no matter where you are," Mullin said after practice. "I thought we had good talent (coming into the year). We have to figure out what fits."

Probably heading the agenda is getting something for forward Clifford Robinson and center Dale Davis, who combined represent more than $15 million in salary cap space.

Robinson is in the final year of a deal that's paying him more than $5 million this season. Davis is earning around $10 million this season before becoming a free agent. Any team that has them at the end of the season will have their contracts come off the books. The Warriors can't profit from the salary cap relief because they already are over the cap for next year.

The Warriors could trade Robinson and/or Davis for more talent, acquiring one or more players worth up to 115 percent of their salaries.

They could trade for one player making nearly $15 million this season, such as New Jersey point guard Jason Kidd or Seattle guard Ray Allen or Cleveland center Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Then, at the end of the season, the Warriors would be able to extend said player if necessary because the collective bargaining agreement allows a team to go over the cap to retain its own free agents.

However, this would put the Warriors in danger of the luxury tax if it goes into effect. For example, the New York Knicks' player salaries add up to $101 million. If there is a luxury tax and it's set at $60 million, the Knicks would be penalized $41 million.

Another route the Warriors could take is to trade Robinson and/or Davis for trade exceptions, which are NBA gift certificates of sorts given to teams over the salary cap that give up more than they get in a trade.

The New Jersey Nets reportedly are interested in Robinson. Robinson's or Davis' contract would fit under the approximately $10 million trade exception the Nets got in the Kerry Kittles trade to the Los Angeles Clippers.

Though they wouldn't be able to combine trade exceptions, the Warriors would become players in the offseason by acquiring them. The exceptions are good for a year after they're acquired, meaning the Warriors would have nearly up until next year's deadline to trade their "gift certificates."

Small forward Mike Dunleavy, who will be a restricted free agent at the end of next season, also is a tradeable commodity. If Mullin decides Dunleavy isn't a good fit with the young nucleus, he could move Dunleavy -- especially if he uses Robinson and Davis to acquire some pricey small forward or shooting guard.

Mullin won't comment on trade speculation, but, coming up on his first trade deadline as the decision maker, he emphasized that he wasn't going to make a move just because the team is 12-29.

"But if I feel like it's a positive change that's going to make this team better," Mullin said, "no question. Done."

T Park
01-26-2005, 07:18 PM
a not very athletic three point shooter.

Not scared by this.

Whos minutes is Waltah gonna take?

T Park
01-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Id inquire about Mike Dunleavey.

Good shooter, could be a good project under Pop.

Solid D
01-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Linton Johnson III is hurt and could have been a nice option in stopping Darius Miles the other night. McCarty is a 6'10" SF who could help the Spurs in a couple of matchup problems (Rashard Lewis and Miles are examples).

Agree or disagree.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Dunleavy is a fucking scrub. End of discussion. The only pieces worth getting from that GS squad are JRich, Murphy, and Pietrus.

Duff McCartney
01-26-2005, 07:38 PM
If there is a luxury tax and it's set at $60 million, the Knicks would be penalized $41 million.

Actually wouldn't they be penalized $82 million?

Brodels
01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
I've watched Waltah for years. A good bench player bringing lots of energy and some shooting, but not really a difference maker.

GS is fucked up solely because of Mullin. He fucked his team for years by overpaying Fisher and Foyle. He shouldn't have signed either player at all.

Supergirl
01-26-2005, 09:51 PM
I'd be really sad to see the C's lose Waltah (he's a fan favorite here, too) but I'd be happy if the Spurs added him. Wouldn't want them to give anyone up, though, he's not as good as Rose or Horry - but it would seem the Suns might not have to give anyone up to get him. This would definitely help the Suns, he'd be their 6th man - and they don't have anyone right now after their starting five.

Brodels
01-26-2005, 10:35 PM
I'd be really sad to see the C's lose Waltah (he's a fan favorite here, too) but I'd be happy if the Spurs added him. Wouldn't want them to give anyone up, though, he's not as good as Rose or Horry - but it would seem the Suns might not have to give anyone up to get him. This would definitely help the Suns, he'd be their 6th man - and they don't have anyone right now after their starting five.

They do have Jim Jackson now don't forget, and Jackson would probably play over Waltah.

SirChaz
01-26-2005, 10:45 PM
The common rap on the Suns is their lack of depth. Then when a deal is rumored to fix that then people wonder who's minutes he would take?
Take your pick. The Suns started the year as the youngest team in the league. They could use a few veterans off the bench and McCarty would be a good fit I think. Really McCarty would be the 8th or 9th player. Jackson, Hunter, and maybe Barbosa would still be ahead of him.

So far Jackson has been a great addition and a HUGE upgrade over Jacobsen. The other guys in that trade never played anyway.

The Suns seemed to have passed on the McCarty deal for now. My guess is they are checking to see if there are better options before they make the move.

ShoogarBear
01-26-2005, 11:24 PM
A second round pick is essentially a giveaway, considering how many seconds ever even make a roster, let alone playing serious minutes.

It's a no-brainer for the Suns, and the only thing the Cs get out of it is (I guess) cap room.

exstatic
01-26-2005, 11:24 PM
McCarty is better than anyone on the PHO bench not named Jackson. He doesn't have to be an All Star to help a team with virtually no depth. This helps Phoenix. How much remains to be seen.