PDA

View Full Version : The Sad Truth - PTSD

Nbadan
05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Expect to hear many more domestic sad stories about troops coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan...

WASHINGTON -- Pentagon figures show at least 40,000 U.S. troops have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder since 2003.

But officials believe many more are keeping their illness secret.

Army Surgeon General Eric Schoomaker said officials have no reliable figures on how many troops have PTSD or how many have sought treatment for it after serving in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That's because officials are encouraging troops to get help, even if they go to civilian therapists and don't report it to the military.

The 40,000 cases are only those the military knows of.

Many troops don't report getting treatment -- or don't get help -- because they're embarrassed or fear it will hurt their careers.

Marines and Army soldiers have been the hardest hit

Link (http://www.newsnet5.com/health/16404685/detail.html)

RandomGuy
05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
PTSD still has something of stigma in the lower ranks.

As much as the upper ranks (read: politicians who happen to wear uniforms) blather on about encouraging soldiers to seek help, where the rubber meets the road, if you "fall out" for PTSD, you are made to look like a slacker/shirker, or are perceived that way.

JoeChalupa
05-28-2008, 10:50 AM
God Bless our men and women in uniform. There is no way to predict the effects of war on any individual but they will be effected for life none the less. They deserve the best.

clambake
05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
i'm gonna go repub here and say "they knew what could happen when they signed up".

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
i'm gonna go repub here and say "they knew what could happen when they signed up".

That doesn't make it right though. We should do all we can to help these people.

clambake
05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
That doesn't make it right though. We should do all we can to help these people.

i'm gonna go repub here and say " they were lame to begin with".

RandomGuy
05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
i'm gonna go repub here and say " they were lame to begin with".

Interesting point.

Conservatives love to blame the poor for being poor. If one follows the same logic for these soldiers, one would way, "it was moral failings and bad choices did they make in combat that made them unable to function as soldiers?"

Anti.Hero
05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm going to go loser liberal here and say "repubs stole my lunch money"

Seriously though, it is sickening that our troops don't get the best services when they return.

boutons_
05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
In the same fuck-the-veterans and the war-wounded vein, Old McFlopPanderKeating is dead-set against the GI Bill. However, there is a very high probability that he will flop. :lol

If he can remember which way he flopped last in his old, failing brain.

Meanwhile, DoD finds plenty of wasted, fraudulent $Bs for MIC contractors:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=4916217

clambake
05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
i'm gonna go repub here, again, and say " they were whimps and got what they deserved because they were gonna be burdens anyway".

some might even say " it was karma".

xrayzebra
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
In the same fuck-the-veterans and the war-wounded vein, Old McFlopPanderKeating is dead-set against the GI Bill. However, there is a very high probability that he will flop. :lol

If he can remember which way he flopped last in his old, failing brain.

Meanwhile, DoD finds plenty of wasted, fraudulent $Bs for MIC contractors:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=4916217

boutons you don't know what in the world you are talking
about as usual. McCain is not dead set against the GI
bill. Just the version the dimms want to pass.

clambake
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
boutons you don't know what in the world you are talking
about as usual. McCain is not dead set against the GI
bill. Just the version the dimms want to pass.

i'm gonna go repub here and say " cut these loosers off. mccain knows all too well about ineffective soldiers".

JoeChalupa
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I DO understand why McCain does not support the bill as it stands now. Full college tuition after serving just 3 years? I know many who would be a 3 and out Vet.
But our troops deserve the best.

clambake
05-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I DO understand why McCain does not support the bill as it stands now. Full college tuition after serving just 3 years? I know many who would be a 3 and out Vet.
But our troops deserve the best.

bullshit. we get'em to sign up and we can fuck with them for as many years as we see fit.....stupid bastards.

boutons_
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
So what does OldMcFlopPander's GI Bill look like?