PDA

View Full Version : what the spurs mean to you (bigger than basketball)

5 rings
05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
i'm not posting this because i think the spurs are gonna lose this series. i thought they would come back from down 0-2 against NO, and i believe the same about this series now. i just want to know what the spurs mean to all of yall, and im gonna share what they mean to me. for me its bigger than basketball and bigger than just a professional sport.

my sister is my half sister(we have the same dad), and she's 10 years older than me. so when i was little my dad took her to all of her stuff and spent most of his time with her since my mom wasnt her real mom and i was always with my mom. when my sister went to college when i was 8, i didnt really know my dad and it was the first time we began spending a lot of time together. i think we were both clueless about each others interests and hobbies and how to hangout with each other... until we found the spurs

the first time i remember watching the spurs was game 2 of the 1999 western conference finals aka the memorial day miracle...and i watched it with my dad, and ever since then i was hooked and so was he. and we had started a bond and something that we shared, that was bigger than basketball.

he took me to my first spurs game at the alamodome when i was 10 and i saw the spurs lose to glenn robinson, sam cassell and ray allens Bucks. but that was one of the best nights of my life. we watched every game we could together and he would get pretty fed up with my tantrums when they lost. in 2003 we saw the spurs play in the sbc for the first time as they beat Boston 81-80 on a game winner by SJAX, and my dad also got me game 1 tix to the finals against the nets. we spent all day in san antonio waiting for the gates to open. had the spurs lost those games by 50, i still would of been happy with them because they gave me and my dad such special bonding time.

in 2004 we got a half season ticket package that we still have. the rides down from san antonio to austin where me and my dad talked about life, argued and agreed about the spurs, and watched a ton of great games together are some of the best memories i have with my dad. the others are all our whitewater rafting trips, but even on those a big part of our conversation time was spent talking about the spurs. a huge reason my dad and I are so close is because of those games and those rides.

we shared the agony of .4 together, and the heartbreak of being at game 7 together against the mavericks. on the drive home from game 7 i cried, not because i was mad they lost, but because me and my dad wouldnt be able to go to anymore playoff games together that year and that really hurt.

we shared the joy of the championships as we went crazy with fist pumps and screams of triumph in our living rooms after the 4 championships. i remember accidentally tackling my dad over the rocking chair after Rob's game winning 3 pointer in game 5 against Detroit because i was so excited. when bruce hit the game winner against phoenix last year in game 5, my cell phone flew out of my hands in excitement across the room and gave my dad a black eye. oh the good times...

I'm graduating from high school in 4 days and the spurs have done a lot for me, and they are a huge reason that me and my dad get along so well and are best friends. whether they're winning championships or getting older or at the bottom of the leagues barrel, i will always be thankful for giving me something to grow up with and something for me and my dad to love and do/talk about/watch together for the rest of our lives.

thank you spurs...i owe you. anybody else wanna share what they mean to them?

now go kick some laker ass tonight:lobt2::flag::lobt:

degenerate_gambler
05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
thank you spurs...i owe you. anybody else wanna share what they mean to them?

i get free coffee at Valero stations after each playoff win...

greyforest
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
its fun to watch them

also its a good conversation topic for basically any stranger in SA

Summers
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I used to DVR the games and watch them when I had to get up every 3 hours to nurse my baby. It was the only thing that kept me awake and cheaper than Chef Tony's set of 32 knives.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I used to DVR the games and watch them when I had to get up every 3 hours to nurse my baby. It was the only thing that kept me awake and cheaper than Chef Tony's set of 32 knives.

Yeah, but if you call in the next 10 minutes you get the amazing screw-all which can open any jar!

YoMamaIsCallin
05-27-2008, 05:59 PM
The Spurs have helped me learn about dysfunctional inappropriate emotional attachment, which many people have to "their" sports team.

As a vehicle to help bond with a family member, I say "excellent" -- keep up the good work.

lefty
05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
By watching the Spurs, I've learned that it's possible to do well after extreme sucking

Spurs73
05-27-2008, 06:16 PM
I can relate to your story. I think we all can in a way.

BUT the SPURS mean a lot to the whole city. They've helped give us an identity and we all love the Spurs. I love it when the whole city is pumped during the playoffs. It gives us all something it common, rooting for the team we all love.

GO SPURS GO!

tlongII
05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
In a one horse town the team means everything. Trust me, I know.

MarceloM!
05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
For me, Spurs mean basketball, a team. And i'm proud of Manu. I love he is playing for the Spurs and represent my country, the passionate and the valuable basketball that we have in our country.

TampaDude
05-27-2008, 06:33 PM
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Words to live by... :toast