PDA

View Full Version : T'Wolves Taking Kevin Love/Sonics Taking Jerryd Bayless?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Word on the Street: Love to Minnesota?
by: Jonathan Givony
May 27, 2008

McHale in Love with Kevin Love?
Numerous sources with varying ties to Minnesota confirmed to DraftExpress over the past few days that Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale has locked in on UCLA freshman Kevin Love as possibly his favorite prospect in this draft. McHale reportedly likes the skill-level and all-around feel for the game that Love brings to the table, as well as his winning mentality, and sees him as an excellent potential compliment to Al Jefferson in Minnesota’s front-court.

Picking 3rd in this draft, many would consider it a reach to take Love, although numerous advanced statistical formulas have identified him as being the 2nd most productive player in this draft, behind Michael Beasley.

There is already some talk that Minnesota will look to make a trade with Memphis GM Chris Wallace, who would then have the option of fortifying his front-court by drafting Brook Lopez at #3, or swinging for the fences and taking O.J. Mayo. Memphis could offer Minnesota the young prospect of their choice in Kyle Lowry, Hakim Warrick or Javaris Crittenton to help facilitate the deal. Wallace only has two more years left on his contract and needs to make as big a splash as possible in this draft to jump-start Memphis’ rebuilding process, meaning he could be leaning more towards taking Mayo, especially if his team is drafting 5th.
Seattle Locking into Bayless at #4?

Although Sam Presti has to be considered one of the best GMs in the league in terms of holding his cards as close to the vest as possible, early indications are that the Supersonics are heavily targeting Arizona freshman point guard Jerryd Bayless, barring poor workouts or background checks. Reports we’ve gotten indicate that Bayless will measure out extremely well as far as his intangibles are concerned, as he’s a highly motivated and engaging person who comes from a strong background.

Bayless fits the up-tempo early-offense system that P.J. Carlesimo has implemented in Seattle, and can play minutes alongside their existing point guard rotation of Earl Watson and Luke Ridnour until he’s ready to man the position full-time. Seattle had the 4th fastest paced offense in the NBA last year, but finished dead last in points per possession and near the bottom in true shooting percentage. A big time athlete and shooter like Bayless could help in that regard.

NBA teams we spoke with indicated that their intel suggests that Presti is also high on Indiana shooting guard Eric Gordon, although he might be a bit of a reach with the 4th overall pick.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Love-to-Minnesota--2898/

21_Blessings
05-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Al/Love frontcourt would be way undersized and atrocious defensively

manufor3
05-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Al/Love frontcourt would be way undersized and atrocious defensively

i actualy think that would be a good frontcourt, heck if ben wallace was 6'9, could be a center, and up until recently play halfway decent, i think their fine

21_Blessings
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
i actualy think that would be a good frontcourt, heck if ben wallace was 6'9, could be a center, and up until recently play halfway decent, i think their fine

Neither Al or Love have Ben Wallace's athleticism or strength. Like I said, they would be the one of if not the worst defensive front court in the league

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Wouldn't make sense for them to take Lopez, as he's a carbon copy of Jefferson offensively. Love's a pretty underrated defender inside, and the game looks like it's going away from the small big forwards with teams like Portland (Aldrdige+Oden), LA (Bynum+Gasol), and Orlando (Howard) looking to be the future powers.

I guess it boils down to whether they think OJ Mayo's going to be any good. I'm personally not that impressed by him.