PDA

View Full Version : How the F do you sit Barry Down with 4 to play, Pop?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
You stupid son of a bitch.

Mr. Peabody
05-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Barry was our best perimeter player this game. This doesn't make sense.

mouse
05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
This is on Pop tonight!

midgetonadonkey
He is resting him for game 5.

adidas11
Pop even said earlier that Barry was having a great game.

T Park
maybe he was gassed?

Cry Havoc
05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
maybe he was gassed?

Gassed with the ability to hit a shot.

Unlike EVERY OTHER PLAYER ON OUR TEAM.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
maybe he was gassed?

Right on cue....

We just had a two minute timeout.

What was it you said back earlier in the playoffs about that bad pass by Vaughn? If he can't reach for it he should retire or some shit?

Barry was on fire tonight, you don't take him off the court until he's hanging onto his shorts. And he wasn't.

T Park
05-27-2008, 10:40 PM
It was just a question.

But have a hissy fit and act like a child like you always do.

kskonn
05-27-2008, 10:41 PM
right on cue.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Barry's so fatigued he just stroked a three ball when he came back in.

Good call benching him Pop! :tu You had to do something this series to out-do that idiotic decision to bench Bowen in game 1 with Kobe getting hot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
It was just a question.

But have a hissy fit and act like a child like you always do.

It was a stupid question.

But run over to any thread criticizing Pop and suck his dick like you always do.

SequSpur
05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
pop is a turd.

Sequ of the corn
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
maybe if tony, tim, manu, bowen would make some freakin' shots Pop wouldn't be in this mess!!!

mystargtr34
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Pop sux... ppl think he jokes around when he says the only reason he has been so successful is because of Tim Duncan... dude is bein serious.

lefty
05-27-2008, 10:47 PM
He is resting him for game 5.

:lol

pbandjnocrust
05-27-2008, 10:47 PM
It was a stupid question.

But run over to any thread criticizing Pop and suck his dick like you always do.

Whatever dude, it was a bad move by pop admit and move on.

baseline bum
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
The same way you start Finley when he's making Steve Smith look like Wilt.

baseline bum
05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't get it. Barry has the best game he's ever played in this uniform, and he's not out there in cruch time when we can't buy a bucket.

baseline bum
05-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Goddamnot Horry!!!!!!!!!!111

ducks
05-27-2008, 10:52 PM

because manu has to be in there:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

CharlieMac
05-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Mental retardation.

The Drought
05-27-2008, 10:56 PM
WTF did you leave Barry in damnit!!!!???

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 11:12 PM
because manu has to be in there:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

He shoulda stuck with Brent and Manu.

mouse
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
run over to any thread

T Park run? :lmao

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Fuck it. On to Game 5.

Emanuel20
05-27-2008, 11:19 PM
How about this? We start Brent in game 5

braeden0613
05-27-2008, 11:21 PM
You can blame this on Crawford if u want...but pop is the reason we lost

bobbyjoe
05-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Why not rest Duncan for at least a couple minutes in the 4th Q so he can rejuvenate?

All his shorts in the 4th came up short...he was gassed.

loveforthegame
05-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Finley paid Pop to take Barry out. Only it backfired on Finley cause he thought Pop would put him in the game to jack up some more missed shots.

The master plan by Finley to screw the Spurs once again.

TDfan2007
05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
NOBODY can outcoach Phil. Nobody. He even made Sloan look like an idiot out there at times. Phil is the best coach I've seen in all my years watching basketball. I like Pop better as a person, but Phil is the better coach.

And no, Pop didn't lose this game for us, like AHF always seems to think. Our guys not rebounding lost the game for us. Think whatever you want though, just quit constantly bagging on one of the best coaches in league history. If Manu shoots better and our guys board, he wouldn't be stuck playing a 36 year old that many minutes.

TDfan2007
05-27-2008, 11:46 PM
You can blame this on Crawford if u want...but pop is the reason we lost

I love your avatar but you're wrong. Players lost this one. No boards and they couldn't hit their shots when the pressure was on...again.

TDfan2007
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Why not rest Duncan for at least a couple minutes in the 4th Q so he can rejuvenate?

We rest Tim for even a minute of that 4th quarter and the Lakers' lead would have ballooned. He was our only big man doing ANYTHING tonight...as usual.

Man of Steel
05-27-2008, 11:50 PM

We had about 30 people watching this game tonight and we were shouting at the top of our lungs for Pop to put Brent back in!:bang:bang:bang

braeden0613
05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
I love your avatar but you're wrong. Players lost this one. No boards and they couldn't hit their shots when the pressure was on...again.
I agree that we got outplayed in pretty much all aspects on the game, but i firmly believe if Barry was in most of the 4th quarter, we would have won. We took out only offense out and put in the anti-offense (manu)

polandprzem
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
We rest Tim for even a minute of that 4th quarter and the Lakers' lead would have ballooned. He was our only big man doing ANYTHING tonight...as usual.

excactly

when tim sat LA was destroying Spurs

On other side LA were up so Phil decided to give Kobe some rest

That's why it was important to get of the gates strong.
Spurs were down and never, even had chance, got over the hump

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
This is still one of the biggest reasons we lost last night, but it's been buried by Fishergate threads...

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
excactly

when tim sat LA was destroying Spurs

On other side LA were up so Phil decided to give Kobe some rest

That's why it was important to get of the gates strong.
Spurs were down and never, even had chance, got over the hump

They had plenty of chances to tie and/or take the lead, they did not convert.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 12:36 PM
yeah I don't understand Pop.

He also left a tired Duncan all 4th quarter.
could have rested him 1 or 2 minutes.

also he did not try Kurt Thomas in 1st half. COmeon why the fuck did we get his ass then? get kurt in there to nail some ppl and get some rebounds.

SnakeBoy
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Goddamnot Horry!!!!!!!!!!111

Try using a stronger finger to hold down the shift key.

timvp
05-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Who the hell did AHF want Pop to sit? You sit Bowen and Kobe scores every time down the floor. You really want to give up on Manu? Take Parker off the floor? Go small and have an injured/tired Ginobili guard Odom?

You can't cry about keeping Barry on the floor without saying who you would have put on the bench. I was pissed that Barry went out .... until I realized there was no one to sit. Best option was to sit Manu but you never sit Manu with your season on the line.

polandprzem
05-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Who the hell did AHF want Pop to sit? You sit Bowen and Kobe scores every time down the floor. You really want to give up on Manu? Take Parker off the floor? Go small and have an injured/tired Ginobili guard Odom?

You can't cry about keeping Barry on the floor without saying who you would have put on the bench. I was pissed that Barry went out .... until I realized there was no one to sit. Best option was to sit Manu but you never sit Manu with your season on the line.

Oberto?

ehz33satx
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Matt Bonner could have used his fresh legs to spell Duncan for 2 minutes, and go all out in those two minutes! Hit as many shots as he can and use his hustle all over the court! But for some reason Bonner has played all of maybe 10 minutes in the last 30 games. I liked his shot and his hustle! Sometimes Pop vexes me.

timvp
05-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Oberto?Also known as going small. You want hobbled/fatigued Manu trying to guard Odom? AHF whines about small ball and now he whines when Pop doesn't go to small ball?

Classic.

Fabbs
05-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Absolutely sit injured/struggling Manu. Also as to taking Parker off, see last years plays with Jacque Vaughn in spurts or see Barrdog last night at the point guard! Get Vaugn or Barry in earlier to rest Parker thus Parker is not so ineffctive. Numb nutts Pop took how long to give Barry a shot at the point and how did it work out? Lets check that + - with Barry on the floor and subdivision of + - with Barry at the point. Parker was gassed for stretches of the game yet the O ended up being the ball swung to him for a clunker.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Sit Manu, or sit Parker, but sitting Barry was ball game.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Sit Manu. no brainer

u really don't know Manu if you actually thought he was going to miraculously instantly become the real Manu at that moment

roycrikside

Personally, I'd have sat Oberto, gone small, and taken our chances with the Manu/Odom matchup. At worst he would've just fouled him and Odom is a streaky foul shooter. Maybe he could've drawn an offensive foul or something, who knows?

With all the whistles in the game Pop could've shuttled Oberto and Barry back and forth for offense/defense. Sure, it wouldn't have always worked, but the game didn't have too many sequences where there wasn't a whistle every 2nd or 3rd possession.

Peter
Pop did his best to keep Barry on the court as much as possible in the 4th before crunch time. In crunch time you have your top 3 players on the court. It's as simple as that.

Jimcs50
05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Question for Lakers fans:

Do you guys call your HOF coach an idiot, a turd and other disparaging names because of one or two mistakes....forgetting all the great accomplishments and championships that he orchestrated over the last decade?

:rolleyes

timvp
05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Sit Manu, or sit Parker, but sitting Barry was ball game.So you are going to bandwagon on Manu's nvts for his whole career and then when the going gets tough you are going to bail? Lame.

And bench Parker? The guy who carried the Spurs down the stretch of Game 7 against the Hornets when Duncan and Manu were a combined 0-for-12?

Only way to get Barry into the game was going small. But going small with Ginobili on Odom for the whole fourth quarter would have been suicide. The Spurs couldn't get any rebounds as it was. Putting a banged up shooting guard on the other team's best rebounder isn't exactly the way to solve the rebounding problem.

SnakeBoy
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Matt Bonner could have used his fresh legs to spell Duncan for 2 minutes, and go all out in those two minutes! Hit as many shots as he can and use his hustle all over the court! But for some reason Bonner has played all of maybe 10 minutes in the last 30 games. I liked his shot and his hustle! Sometimes Pop vexes me.

Yeah, Pop is so stupid he doesn't see the greatness of the Red Rocket:rolleyes.

polandprzem
05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Also known as going small. You want hobbled/fatigued Manu trying to guard Odom? AHF whines about small ball and now he whines when Pop doesn't go to small ball?

Classic.

I understand, but as I watch the last 5 minutes

Odom went with and1 and with a dunk from Gasols assisst, Oberto did nothing.Aha and then in a play with manu on a hand off pass he lost it what lead to Kobes dunk.

On offensive end TP jacked up a stupid shot instead of pass it and Bowen blew an open 3 pointer.

That's the ball game right there.

I've checked the box at that moment and saw barry with +17
He ended with +24 which I haven't seen or do not remember from a guy in a losing team

timvp
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I understand, but as I watch the last 5 minutes

Odom went with and1 and with a dunk from Gasols assisst, Oberto did nothing.Aha and then in a play with manu on a hand off pass he lost it what lead to Kobes dunk.

On offensive end TP jacked up a stupid shot instead of pass it and Bowen blew an open 3 pointer.

That's the ball game right there.

I've checked the box at that moment and saw barry with +17
He ended with +24 which I haven't seen or do not remember from a guy in a losing teamIt's easy to look back on it and see that the decision ended up not working but at the time when rebounding was the one thing killing the Spurs, you don't put a hobbled shooting guard on the other team's best rebounder.

If Pop did that, you'd get the "F Small Ball - Pop Puckers Again" post from AHF.

polandprzem
05-28-2008, 01:12 PM
It's easy to look back on it and see that the decision ended up not working but at the time when rebounding was the one thing killing the Spurs, you don't put a hobbled shooting guard on the other team's best rebounder.

If Pop did that, you'd get the "F Small Ball - Pop Puckers Again" post from AHF.

Well yea, but Oberto is not great of a rebounder, whta Odom did in those small ball sequence at the end was to take a blocking foul on Manu (might be an offensive but wasn't) and grab a rebound - Tim was late and Odom was fouled.

Brent lost the ball and hit a three pointer, then it was all about set plays and LA mistakes at the end.

What killed the spurs though was rebs, shooting (again - we have no shooters), and going slow into the game from the get go.

The things I pointed out before the game in your game thought thread.

All said, spurs lost the most important game, game 1
I knew that that 1st game was the series settler :depressed

Spurminator
05-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Every Spur including Barry had opportunities last night, even before the last shot, to make a basket that put us over the hump and they missed every single one. I don't think it would have mattered who was out there. The Spurs seemed to have some sort of mental block epidemic every time they got within 2 or 3 points.

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Barry's so fatigued he just stroked a three ball when he came back in.

Good call benching him Pop! :tu You had to do something this series to out-do that idiotic decision to bench Bowen in game 1 with Kobe getting hot.

Just read this thread. I got up to walk away from the T.V when I saw Barry coming back to the bench. Pop made another dumb move in this series.

:nope

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
The only thing timvp, is that Orberto had a total of three rebounds last night and in general isn't a good at rebounding, so that scratches that out.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
So you are going to bandwagon on Manu's nvts for his whole career and then when the going gets tough you are going to bail? Lame.

this makes no sense at all. How is that bailing?

Manu was a liability there, Bones was making things happen. Easy choice.

Like I said, you don't really know Manu if you expected him to suddenly start contributing.

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I too wish Manu would have played more like 22 minutes instead of 30+minutes.

mouse
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
It's easy to look back on it and see that the decision ended up not working

Many of us saw it as soon as Pop sat him, we didn't need to look back. And this topic was made when there was still time left on the clock to do something about it.

Just this once Timvp can you just loosen the grip you have on Pop's nut sac and stop tossing his salad?

mouse
05-28-2008, 02:49 PM
You can't cry about keeping Barry on the floor without saying who you would have put on the bench. I was pissed that Barry went out .... until I realized there was no one to sit.

A smart coach could have figured out what to do. Where is it written just cuz you sit one player you have to activate another?

When you are the coach you have a plan B for such a situation.

psssssst! this is not the first time Pop has fucked up, just admit that he did so we can move on to game 5.

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Agree 100%

You couldn't sit Manu in the end of a game no matter how bad he's playing. Same for TP.

Bruce was guarding Kobe, I thought Pop could go small but I understand him not doing so because LA killed us on the boards.

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Its not so much sitting Manu late in the 4th. I think Manu should have sat more throughout the game. He just didn't have it last night. It was so obvious. Face it you all. Pop was stubborn last night!

mouse
05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Agree 100%

You couldn't sit Manu in the end of a game no matter how bad he's playing. Same for TP.

Where is that rule on paper?

Are you saying Spurs have never won a game with Manu on the bench wearing a suit?

The man love for Manu is beyond Brokback in here I am out...............

wildchild
05-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Personally, I'd have sat Oberto, gone small, and taken our chances with the Manu/Odom matchup. At worst he would've just fouled him and Odom is a streaky foul shooter. Maybe he could've drawn an offensive foul or something, who knows?

With all the whistles in the game Pop could've shuttled Oberto and Barry back and forth for offense/defense. Sure, it wouldn't have always worked, but the game didn't have too many sequences where there wasn't a whistle every 2nd or 3rd possession.

In the last 3' of the 4th quarter Pop sit Oberto and put Manu/Odom and that didn't work either.

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Where is that rule on paper?

Are you saying Spurs have never won a game with Manu on the bench wearing a suit?

The man love for Manu is beyond Brokback in here I am out...............

Yes they do.

But he wasn't wearing a suit. He could play and the bad he was playing I 'd rather see Manu and TP on the court in fron of Barry.

The only option I saw was small ball, but the way we were rebounding the ball I understand Pop not doing it.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I do agree, even I saw that play a mile away and equated it to sort of the reverse of Pop's mistake in Game 1 taking out Bowen in the 4th. That was a defensive error, last night was an offensive error.

You're entire season is on the line, you don't substitute Oberto with his -17 for Brent Barry. Period. The lineup should have been DUncan, Parker, Ginobili, Barry, and Bowen. Since when did Odom become Mr. Clutch? As you stated, you thought Ginobili did a relatively decent job on Kobe in Game 4 with a bum ankle, Odom would have been about 10 times easier for him. I'd rather live with Odom getting his. And it's also when team defense comes in handy.

When Pop made the substitution, the Spurs missed THREE straight chances on the offense to take the lead. Clanked 3 pointers by Horry, and Ginobili pretty much sealed the loss that the Spurs wouldn't be able to overcome. As soon as Barry came in, his 2nd attempt, he knocked down a 3 pointer.

timvp
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
The only thing timvp, is that Orberto had a total of three rebounds last night and in general isn't a good at rebounding, so that scratches that out.Oberto has done a good job of boxing out Odom. You put Ginobili on Odom and you never grab another rebound again.

this makes no sense at all. How is that bailing?

Manu was a liability there, Bones was making things happen. Easy choice.

Like I said, you don't really know Manu if you expected him to suddenly start contributing.It's bailing because you can't be a Manu fan when times are good and whine constantly to get him more shots -- and then in one of the rare times Manu is struggling you want him on the bench in the biggest game of teh season.

And yes, we've all seen Manu "suddenly start contributing". How many times throughout the years has Manu done little in the first three quarters and then explode in the fourth. He's done that time and time again.

Fabbs
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM
-- and then in one of the rare times Manu is struggling you want him on the bench in the biggest game of teh season.
"rare times struggling"? Virtual entire Games 1 2 and 4 he has struggled. No one has said bench him the entire game but for goodness sake make an adjustment and play him less and go with who is effective. Ditto getting gassed Tony a rest. Vaugh did great last years playoffs. I thought this was a team.

Pop is Phils bitch for the umpteenth time.

Spurminator
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
If Duncan is 1-20 do you sit him in the final 4 minutes?

timvp
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I do agree, even I saw that play a mile away and equated it to sort of the reverse of Pop's mistake in Game 1 taking out Bowen in the 4th. That was a defensive error, last night was an offensive error.

You're entire season is on the line, you don't substitute Oberto with his -17 for Brent Barry. Period. The lineup should have been DUncan, Parker, Ginobili, Barry, and Bowen. Since when did Odom become Mr. Clutch? As you stated, you thought Ginobili did a relatively decent job on Kobe in Game 4 with a bum ankle, Odom would have been about 10 times easier for him. I'd rather live with Odom getting his. And it's also when team defense comes in handy.

When Pop made the substitution, the Spurs missed THREE straight chances on the offense to take the lead. Clanked 3 pointers by Horry, and Ginobili pretty much sealed the loss that the Spurs wouldn't be able to overcome. As soon as Barry came in, his 2nd attempt, he knocked down a 3 pointer.The same people who complain about small ball are the ones now complaining the Spurs didn't go small. Spurs fans can't have it both ways. If AHF wants to come in here and admit the Spurs should have gone small, then let him. He won't though because he's Mr. Anti Small Ball.

I can usually live with small ball but on a night when rebounding was the number one thing killing the team, you can't go to super small ball for the whole fourth quarter. That's just lunacy. A banged up Ginobili at power forward? Really?

And yes, Kobe is an easier guard for Manu than Odom is because Odom is taller, longer and gets great position in the triangle offense. On top of that, he's always in position to get the offensive rebound. A 100% healthy Manu might be able to handle Odom but not this Manu.

More than maybe anything else, Manu's fatigue/injury has almost eliminated his ability to pull down rebounds in a crowd. Last year in the playoffs, Manu pulled down countless huge rebounds even when he wasn't scoring. This playoffs, he just doesn't have the lift to do that.

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Oberto has done a good job of boxing out Odom. You put Ginobili on Odom and you never grab another rebound again.

When? Last night? If so, I didn't see it. Orberto looked like he was playing volleyball last night because he was getting boxed out. I am more for Udoka on Odom than Orberto. Orberto played liked crap yesterday. I love Orberto's basketball smarts and Manu's heart. However, both of them last night stunk up the gym.

More of Barry instead of Manu and more of Udoka instead of Orberto would have been better.

Awesome_jess
05-28-2008, 03:15 PM
My thoughts exactly... I really wish that someone would have sat Tony down... has he done anything of any significance in the past two series???

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
My thoughts exactly... I really wish that someone would have sat Tony down... has he done anything of any significance in the past two series???

Umm...welcome to Spurstalk and Tony held his own last night.

polandprzem
05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
wtf?

One night Ginobili can guard Kobe the next night he can't guard nobody cause he is fatigued.

And saying that Odom would get any ball of the board is ridiculus cause you simply don't know it.

what you know is that with motion offense spurs had better chance when with Oberto right there on D.

Take a look at last 6 minutes once again timvp

And fuck Aggie :cuss

We talk about spurs here

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
The same people who complain about small ball are the ones now complaining the Spurs didn't go small. Spurs fans can't have it both ways. If AHF wants to come in here and admit the Spurs should have gone small, then let him. He won't though because he's Mr. Anti Small Ball.

I can usually live with small ball but on a night when rebounding was the number one thing killing the team, you can't go to super small ball for the whole fourth quarter. That's just lunacy. A banged up Ginobili at power forward? Really?

And yes, Kobe is an easier guard for Manu than Odom is because Odom is taller, longer and gets great position in the triangle offense. On top of that, he's always in position to get the offensive rebound. A 100% healthy Manu might be able to handle Odom but not this Manu.

More than maybe anything else, Manu's fatigue/injury has almost eliminated his ability to pull down rebounds in a crowd. Last year in the playoffs, Manu pulled down countless huge rebounds even when he wasn't scoring. This playoffs, he just doesn't have the lift to do that.

On a night when your starting "center" grabbed 3 rebounds and had a +- of -17, yea, I'd say you should probably roll with small ball. Wouldn't you rather go down with your best players on the court?

And rebounding and defense is a team effort, small ball relies on everyone crashing the boards. And Oberto didn't exactly do a good job himself there rebounding did he? Rebounding did hurt the team the entire game, no doubt that was the difference. However, in that stretch in the 4th quarter around the 5 minute mark, the Spurs were unable to score to take the lead once and for all. That is not that time you substitute Oberto for Barry.

Bottom line, in that stretch, when the Spurs did get a stop, they couldn't either grab a rebound or make a shot at the other end. Oberto had a very, very, very weak pass off to Ginobili that led to the Kobe dunk. Oberto made Odom look like the 2nd coming of Scottie Pippen not just last night, but pretty much this entire series. Oberto hasn't done anything to stop Odom, the bad games Odom did have were just a result of him missing layups. So yea, I would have taken a limp Ginobili over Oberto any day.

And as you yourself have said Timvp, I thought Ginobili was at 80%? And even at that, can't you always count on Ginobili in crunch time to play bigger and better?

Duncan, Ginobili, Barry, Bowen, and Parker. That's the lineup that got the Spurs within 2 to end the game if I'm not mistaken....

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I can't understand how there are people actually stating that Oberto needed to be in the game in the 4th for rebounding. He was in the game the other three quarters and didn't do much on rebounding so what is the difference in the 4th????

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
It's bailing because you can't be a Manu fan when times are good and whine constantly to get him more shots -- and then in one of the rare times Manu is struggling you want him on the bench in the biggest game of teh season.

And yes, we've all seen Manu "suddenly start contributing". How many times throughout the years has Manu done little in the first three quarters and then explode in the fourth. He's done that time and time again.

a true Manu fan knows all Manu cares about is winning. and if this takes Manu sitting down late in the 4th. I'm for it and he's for it.

Of course he will never voluntarily ask to be sat down. But that's what Pop is for.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
If Duncan is 1-20 do you sit him in the final 4 minutes?

if he's getting abused on defense and not rebounding and turning the ball over and there is another big who has the "hot hand", yes you sit him.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Well, it looks like there are two different arguments going here; Those who wanted to sit Oberto and keep Ginobili and put in Barry. And those who wanted to sit Ginobili and put in Barry and...Oberto?

Hmmmm. I would definitely disagree with the sitting Ginobili part. I don't care if he's 0-24 at that point. If he's healthy enough to play, he's healthy enough to be in there. Didn't he hit that 3 pointer to pul within 5?

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I for one did not want Manu in the game other than late in the fourth. I didn not want Orberto in the game in the fourth period.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
^:lol So who the heck did you want in the game then?

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I would have wanted Duncan, Parker, Barry, Bowen, and Udoka. To me, Udoka would have probably rebounded better than Orberto. IMO, he does a solid job guarding Odom because of his strength and is as quick as Odom. Udoka did a fine job in Game one frustrating Odom when he was guarding him.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
The same Udoka who basically put a cap on the game with his 4 point play on Sasha Vuijic??? :pctoss

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
The same Udoka who basically put a cap on the game with his 4 point play on Sasha Vuijic??? :pctoss

:lol

Yeah that one. He had a brain fart and obviously Pop made him pay for it because we never saw him again. IMO, he did an awesome job on Odom and I think he does a great job on the boards for his size. C'mon 1Parker1, you know Udoka could have done better than Orberto.

polandprzem
05-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Who made the shot?

Udoka makes sense in some degree

But all in all I'm fed up with this talking.

It doesn't matter right now. Who cares?
Frustrating ending of a season... :depressed
goodnitee

pull one win pull one win pull one win

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
^But you're not picking Udoka over Oberto...you're picking Udoka over Barry and/or Ginobili and that doesn't make sense to me at all. Esp when Udoka doesn't really have any playoff game experience, he didn't do anything in the playing time he has been given in this series, and he made that bonehead play on Sasha Vuijic.

Which odds do you like better in crunch time; Udoka coming through after he'd gone 0-5 or whatever or Ginobili at the end of the game after he's gone 2-9 or whatever he had gone for? I'll take Ginobili.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Who made the shot?

Udoka makes sense in some degree

But all in all I'm fed up with this talking.

It doesn't matter right now. Who cares?
Frustrating ending of a season... :depressed
goodnitee

pull one win pull one win pull one win

Udoka flies at Sasha Vuijic who hits a 3 and gets a FT just as the Spurs were getting close.

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, it looks like there are two different arguments going here; Those who wanted to sit Oberto and keep Ginobili and put in Barry. And those who wanted to sit Ginobili and put in Barry and...Oberto?

Hmmmm. I would definitely disagree with the sitting Ginobili part. I don't care if he's 0-24 at that point. If he's healthy enough to play, he's healthy enough to be in there. Didn't he hit that 3 pointer to pul within 5?

The one I think last night was Barry in for Oberto. I'd like to see that but I don't blame Pop to not do it. We were sucking at the boards and even with Oberto with only 3 rebs I think he has more chance to get a board or box out than Barry.

That's why I don't blame Pop.

MoSpur
05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
^But you're not picking Udoka over Oberto...you're picking Udoka over Barry and/or Ginobili and that doesn't make sense to me at all. Esp when Udoka doesn't really have any playoff game experience, he didn't do anything in the playing time he has been given in this series, and he made that bonehead play on Sasha Vuijic.

Which odds do you like better in crunch time; Udoka coming through after he'd gone 0-5 or whatever or Ginobili at the end of the game after he's gone 2-9 or whatever he had gone for? I'll take Ginobili.

In some degree. Late in the 4th, I want Manu in and Bowen out so that Manu drives to the basket to draw the foul or make a running layup. However, I want Barry in throughout most of the fourth to give us some offense. I want Orberto Out all of the 4th to put Udoka on Odom.

If the Spurs are down by two or three with about a minute to go, you call a timeout, take Udoka out, insert Manu along with Duncan, Barry, Parker and Bowen.

Bob Lanier
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Small ball featuring Barry killed the Lakers in the second half of Game 3.

Odom can be confused - he really isn't a great passer out of the post if you bring quick double-teams.

timvp
05-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Small ball featuring Barry killed the Lakers in the second half of Game 3.

Odom can be confused - he really isn't a great passer out of the post if you bring quick double-teams.?

Small ball featuring Barry in Game 3 was on the court in the second half for three minutes. Both teams scored six points during that time. Plus Odom wasn't on the court so there was no mismatch.

Now people are just making things up.

timvp
05-28-2008, 05:08 PM
On a night when your starting "center" grabbed 3 reboundsAnd Ginobili grabbed one rebound. Ginobili has five rebounds in the last three games combined. In Game 4, how many times did players like Walton or Radmanovic sky over him for offensive rebounds? Putting Ginobili on Odom would have been game over.

Ginobili right not can't rebound at all. When was the last time he pulled down a rebound in a crowd?

In a regular game, I'd say that maybe you think about doing that even considering Ginobili's inability to rebound. However, in a game where your number one issue is defensive rebounding, you can't put the worst rebounder on the floor on the other team's best rebounder.

And people can question Oberto's rebounding numbers but the fact is the Lakers didn't grab an offensive rebound in the second half with Oberto on the floor. As I said, he was boxing out in the second half and allowing Duncan to get a clean look at all the defensive rebounds.

timvp
05-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I can't understand how there are people actually stating that Oberto needed to be in the game in the 4th for rebounding. He was in the game the other three quarters and didn't do much on rebounding so what is the difference in the 4th????Because the Lakers weren't grabbing offensive rebounds when Oberto was in the game.

a true Manu fan knows all Manu cares about is winning. and if this takes Manu sitting down late in the 4th. I'm for it and he's for it.

Of course he will never voluntarily ask to be sat down. But that's what Pop is for.Manu said he'll let Pop know if he's hurting the team. I trust that if Manu doesn't think he's helping, he'll sit. As you said, Manu only cares about winning.

I would have wanted Duncan, Parker, Barry, Bowen, and Udoka. To me, Udoka would have probably rebounded better than Orberto. IMO, he does a solid job guarding Odom because of his strength and is as quick as Odom. Udoka did a fine job in Game one frustrating Odom when he was guarding him.Udoka has gone straight up Hedo in this series. He went from being a solid defender all year to becoming a joke of a defender in this series. You put him on the court, PJax will force him to sink or swim ... and with the way Udoka has played in this series, he'd sink instantly.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Udoka has gone straight up Hedo in this series. He went from being a solid defender all year to becoming a joke of a defender in this series.

:depressed

jag
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
blame pop all you want, but Pop didn't make the Spurs shoot 7-24 from downtown last night.

MannyIsGod
05-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Because the Lakers weren't grabbing offensive rebounds when Oberto was in the game.

Manu said he'll let Pop know if he's hurting the team. I trust that if Manu doesn't think he's helping, he'll sit. As you said, Manu only cares about winning.

Udoka has gone straight up Hedo in this series. He went from being a solid defender all year to becoming a joke of a defender in this series. You put him on the court, PJax will force him to sink or swim ... and with the way Udoka has played in this series, he'd sink instantly.

I love Udoka, but he came up with the worst play of the night which probably did a ton to kill the Spurs momentum. That four point play at the end of the third was really really really back breaking.

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I am just glad that Pop played more Brent and maybe he will start next game!

GrandeDavid
05-28-2008, 08:32 PM
and stop tossing his salad?

:lmao

Radiosparks
05-28-2008, 08:36 PM
I hope we continue to see more of Barry instead of Finley.