PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for new thread but just one question

Walton Buys Off Me
05-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Why take Barry out when he was proving to be our only source of offense in an uphill battle?

Again, Pop's defiance of logic helps cost the Spurs a game. We can't win close games against a Phil Jackson-coached team because our coach is always reacting and allowing Phil to dictate matchups. Jackson goes to Odom, we respond with Oberto....Odom goes off on three straight possessions...our offense sputters, end of season.

I love Pop and I love this team but for once can someone publicly admit that Popovich has no business trying to match wits with Phil Jackson?! It's embarassing to watch.

There's a line in the film 'Catch Me If You Can' where Christopher Walken turns to his son played by Leonardo Dicaprio and says "Know why the Yankees always win? Not because they have Mickey Mantle, it's because the opposing team is too busy staring at the pinstripes".

Pop spends too much time staring at Phil's pinstripes and with the exception of 2003 when we were lucky enough to catch them at their weakest and most fragile, the Phil Jackson coached Lakers have now defeated the Spurs and Gregg Popovich 4 out of a possible 5 times in the last eight years...ouch. Not even close folks. We like to point out the ownership Pop has over D'Antoni....Jackson enjoys the same advantage over Popovich and it's high time someone admits it. The discrepancy between the coaching philosophies isn't more evident than in close games and ends of quarters; that's when you see the teacher-student relationship that Phil enjoys over Pop.

That being said, the Lakers are a far better team than the Spurs and came in here tonight and just totally destroyed us. If the Spurs hadn't enjoyed a huge advantage at the stripe, this is a 25 point rout. No contest from start to finish, total domination on the boards, etc, etc. Kudos to LA.

Adios folks, have a good summer.

SequSpur
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
good take bro... Pop and the NBA are turds.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97065

Avitus1
05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
no fuckin idea.

Walton Buys Off Me
05-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Sorry Aggie, was probably destroying an inadament object while you starting your thread, feel free to merge.

Sorry Kori.

yaicu2
05-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Just got back from Pluckers here in Round Rock, and we got our ass kicked up and down on the boards all night. That was the stat that completely destroyed us. 20 first half 2nd chance points. That being said NBA will issue an apology to San Antonio for the bulshit no call, and we're' going fishing. I'll still watch, but it doesn't look good. Heart of a champion never dies. Go Spurs Go!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
No problem Walton. It was such a stupid decision it's worthy of more than one thread.

I'd say I've never seen Pop do anything near as stupid, but of course he sat Bowen all that time in game 1 while we watched Kobe lead an 18-2 run.

Phil isn't just in Pop's head, he owns it.

Spurs lose by 2, we take Barry out for a 3 minute stretch of the fourth where the lead goes from 2 points to 8 by LA. Sheer idiocy.

Sitting Barry tonight in the fourth was probably the dumbest thing Pop has ever done as a coach (that, or it's 1B). The season was on the line tonight and he was worried about Barry's minutes.

You play him until he can't run anymore, but somehow I don't think it would have been a problem...