PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: NBA Fix: Getting Ginobili in Denver

TMTTRIO
01-27-2005, 01:38 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA012705.1C.COL.BKNharvey.498c122e.html

Buck Harvey: NBA fix: Getting Ginobili in Denver
Web Posted: 01/27/2005 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

The NBA should fix the All-Star voting that ended Sunday. If Yao Ming sells the game globally (and exactly who really likes watching Yao?), then Manu Ginobili would sell more.

If not that, then league officials should lobby head coaches who fill out the All-Star rosters. The league's best argument to the Western Conference coaches: Vote for someone who regularly has beaten you.

Or? The league simply should create an automatic roster spot for anyone who has won both an NBA title and an Olympic gold medal.

The NBA should want Ginobili in its All-Star Game.

That much.

Maybe it's better if Ginobili isn't bothered. He needs the rest and, besides, he's not wired for a who-cares-who-wins, look-at-me, sponsor-driven game.

His flash, of course, would fit with the show in Denver next month. After all, why does anyone tune into an all-star game? To see the stuff Manu does every night.

One moment came Sunday in Sacramento, when he flipped in a no-look layup over his head after getting bumped. Another came Friday, in Phoenix, when he ended the first half with a wraparound pass, finding Devin Brown for a buzzer-beating 3-pointer.

Bodies had blocked out Gregg Popovich's view of the play. So, Popovich saw the pass for the first time at halftime, on a TV monitor, then stood stunned for about the 973rd time.

"Why did he do that?" Popovich asked then.

Why? :lmao :lmao
As Ginobili once said, "It's what I do."

What-I-do isn't contrived. Ginobili doesn't go behind his back to look sweet, and he doesn't make faces when he does something special. He doesn't attempt anything with the idea that he will get attention for it.

What-I-do is just the way he plays, and it comes with the toughness of a boxer. Ginobili is not afraid of being hit, and he's not afraid to take it to bigger guys.

A lot of people are mesmerized by it. More than one sportswriter around the country — cynical ones, too — have announced Ginobili is their favorite player.

And then there's Charles Barkley, who will work for TNT tonight during breaks between the Spurs-Kings game. Barkley was ahead of the national crowd when he long ago expressed his amazement with one, animated word.

"GINOBILI!"

Barkley, at some point tonight, will yell it again.

About a half-million others have caught on to this cult figure, the reason Ginobili's fan-vote total is high considering this is his first year as a full-time starter. He's fifth among Western Conference guards, and those above him are bigger names with bigger stats.

Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Ray Allen. They are the reason the coaches likely won't choose Ginobili to fill out the team.

But McGrady admits he didn't always play hard, and Bryant tears apart his franchise, and Nash couldn't stay in front of Greg Ostertag on defense, and Allen said this week — while he's still in contention as a Sonic — that he could see being a Laker next season.

Meanwhile, Ginobili takes the ball, puts his head down and attacks. Sometimes he's as electric as anyone in the game, such as in Phoenix last week. Ginobili scored 48 points, more than any Spurs guard in history except for George Gervin, and in overtime Ginobili got by his defender and soared over two other Suns for a two-hand dunk.

Ginobili played all but two minutes in the second half in that game. That means, exhausted but determined as usual, he dunked for his 45th and 46th points.

What happened two days later, however, defined Ginobili and his view of how the game should be played. He took only eight shots in a rout of the same Sacramento that the Spurs play tonight.

How many scorers in the league have an ego that would allow them to go from 48-point superstar to role player?

But these are the nights that skew his stats and his worth, keeping him below so-called star status. It doesn't matter that the Spurs go to him at the end of games or that he remains their fearless constant or that he excites the fans without that as his goal or that he wins.

That isn't good enough to be an All-Star, is it?

The NBA should do everything it can to answer that. :elephant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

timvp
01-27-2005, 01:42 AM
It sounds like the Spurs are pushing Manu for All-Star. Lance Blanks comes out with an article and then this?

My guess is the Spurs think if Parker is named an All-Star, he would start putting too much pressure on himself to play like an All-Star every night and he'd go back into his funk.

TMTTRIO
01-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Pop's really going to have a heart attack if he coaches the all star game then :lol

milkyway21
01-27-2005, 02:02 AM
...because he can't shout "Manu!!!!" :lol

BTW, Yao sucks he shld not be an All-Star.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Great article. Do it NBA. Do it coaches. Put the NBA's Human Joystick in the All-Star game.

Rummpd
01-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Kobe and
Allen on the same team. See article. These two have history of hate but would be a dangerous combination but still there is only one ball.

MadDoc

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2005, 02:39 AM
That won't happen Rummpd, Allen's just using LA as a bargaining chip to get what he wants in Seattle (mo' money).

T Park
while he's still in contention as a Sonic — that he could see being a Laker next season.

What a joke.

If I was Nate McMillan id be one pissed off dude.

Ginobili wont make it, cause hes too "nice"

Heaven forbid quality guys go.

We need more adultering accused rapists, and players like Jermaine Oneal who punch out fans for just standing on a basketball court. Or All Star point guards who chase there wives out of there houses naked, and with a gun.

YES!!!

LETS PROMOTE THEM!!!

Who? Ginobili? Sure he looks flasy, errrr wait wait wait, hes a Spur.

Sorry, no tats, big stats, but no AS Mano (Dick Stockton)

milkyway21
Kobe got a lot drama this yr-Kobe/ShaQ, Kobe/Karl & Kobe Allen, who's next?

manustarting2gd
01-27-2005, 02:57 AM
What a joke.

If I was Nate McMillan id be one pissed off dude.

Ginobili wont make it, cause hes too "nice"

We need more adultering accused rapists, and players like Jermaine Oneal who punch out fans for just standing on a basketball court. Or All Star point guards who chase there wives out of there houses naked, and with a gun.

YES!!!

LETS PROMOTE THEM!!!

Who? Ginobili? Sure he looks flasy, errrr wait wait wait, hes a Spur.

Sorry, no tats, big stats, but no AS Mano (Dick Stockton)

LOL! Stockton and his old ass cant even call the Spurs their correct name! lol

Jimcs50
01-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Maybe Dick is getting a little forgetful in his later years, but he still knows the difference betw self sacrificing hustle and self aggrandizing, look at me bullshit, that is all too common in sports today. :rolleyes

Useruser666
01-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Lance Banks and Dick Stockton suck. They have no clue to what is going on out on the court 3/4s of the time. Elliott is an awsome color guy. Even when he does games that aren't the Spurs he has such funny takes on the game and the players.

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 09:19 AM
I can't believe Yao is gonna be an all-star, these stupid people vote for him...

Ginobili is way more exciting than Yao.....

Supergirl
01-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Manu should get Ray Allen's spot. He's a better player, and better defender, and more exciting to watch. Ray Allen is only playing well this year to get money next year. Hey, Ray, Milwaukee wants to know where the hell you were a few years ago when they wanted to win?

Jimcs50
01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Ray's stats are up in scoring, but down in shooting % this year. But he is the leader of the team with the 3rd best record, so he deserves to be a starter.

Phenomanul
01-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Manu should get Ray Allen's spot. He's a better player, and better defender, and more exciting to watch. Ray Allen is only playing well this year to get money next year. Hey, Ray, Milwaukee wants to know where the hell you were a few years ago when they wanted to win?

I'm Manu's biggest supporter but...hey.... let's not get carried away.

Sure... Ray Ray might be playing harder this year because of his contract but he is still the league's best shooter... hands down. And he's the leader of a Sonics team that no one expected would even contend.... that has to count for something. Do I like him.... I wouldn't say so... he publically dissed the BRUCE....

Anyways, Kobe shouldn't even play in that game until his ankle fully heals... and if that were the case, the coaches would pick Ginobili.......

exstatic
01-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Ray Ray might be playing harder this year because of his contract but he is still the league's best shooter...
Ray Ray .425 FG% .375 3G%
Manu .478 FG% .389 3G%

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Manu .478 FG% .389 3G%
There you have it.

Jimcs50
01-27-2005, 10:22 AM
I would call Ray more of a scorer than a shooter.
He does not have good technique in his shooting. His feet are not under his body when he shoots, they are off to one side...this is not a classic jump shot by any means.

Phenomanul
01-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Manu .478 FG% .389 3G%

I never said Ray was more efficient than Manu.... that is Manu's strong point .... he knows when the team needs him to score, and he knows when the team needs him to pass....

The point I was trying to make was that Ray is an All-Star because he has the Sonics playing like contenders...

And like I said before, I really don't like him becuase of the cheap shot he took at Bruce.... The one time I do root for him is when he plays against Kobe....

Phenomanul
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I would call Ray more of a scorer than a shooter.
He does not have good technique in his shooting. His feet are not under his body when he shoots, they are off to one side...this is not a classic jump shot by any means.

Peja doesn't have perfect form either, nor does Barry... but they are all considered great shooters....

Solid D
01-27-2005, 12:00 PM

A better question might have been, "How?" Like it is with most of the other spectacular things he does.

Solid D
01-27-2005, 12:04 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/twsports/images/landmug.jpg

"Ohhh, Mama!"

(Spurs TV announcer: Bill Land)

waly.mg
01-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Manu Ginobili

FG% .478
2FG% .525
3FG% .389
PPS 1.51
ADJ FG% .545

RAY ALLEN
FG% .425
2FG% .455
3FG% .355
PPS 1.27
ADJ FG% .494

TONY

FG% .479
2FG% .508
3FG% .270
PPS 1.18
ADJ FG% .495

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow, I didn't know Tony's 3 point % was that low...

smeagol
01-27-2005, 12:53 PM
There ar emany things you don't know, Alvarez :lol

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 12:55 PM
There ar emany things you don't know, Alvarez :lol

"emany" things, I know.

ducks
01-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I think tp will be ticked he is not and he will prove he deserved to go

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 01:12 PM
TP won't be ticked, and he won't care.

Manu probably won't be picked, and I don't think he will care either.

waly.mg
01-27-2005, 02:13 PM

Yes, probably that is the real reason, that Why Tony remain in the Doghouse at Suns

The Team need 3 pointers and Tony is very inconsistent from behind the arc, one game con hit 3 and in the other shoot 2 or 3 airballs from 3

Kori Ellis
01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes, probably that is the real reason, that Why Tony remain in the Doghouse at Suns

Why is no one listening? Tony was SICK against the Suns.

waly.mg
01-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Sick of his Head is Tony

Kori Ellis
01-27-2005, 02:22 PM
You know, it's okay to like Manu and not hate Tony.

Parker was sick with the flu. Same as Duncan had been. And same as Barry and Brown had been.

whottt
01-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Fans like Wally don't yet understand the concept of team play, they root for individuals...Ironic when you think about the fact that his own national team excelled at team play and was able to win a Gold Medal by it's excellence in that style of play.

Luckily for us Manu gets it better than Wally.

waly.mg
01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
i donīt hate Tony, is my favorite PG of the League, but he need to improve his play in The Clutch, and to improve isnīt to shot many times, is we need that he play like a Point Guard, not like a Hero

Kori Ellis
01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay, those comments are valid. But how can you not believe that he had the flu? Even Manu said it.

Jimcs50
01-27-2005, 02:38 PM
TP should never take a 3 point shot.

Kori Ellis
01-27-2005, 02:41 PM
What's amazing about Tony is that his overall FG% is 49. If he just shot average from 3, his overall percentage would be crazy. Anyway, he told me a few weeks ago that Pop likes him to shoot only one 3 per game.

Jimcs50
01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
What's amazing about Tony is that his overall FG% is 49. If he just shot average from 3, his overall percentage would be crazy. Anyway, he told me a few weeks ago that Pop likes him to shoot only one 3 per game.

So he will hit a 3point shot every 4th game then.

:)

waly.mg
01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Fans like Wally don't yet understand the concept of team play, they root for individuals...Ironic when you think about the fact that his own national team excelled at team play and was able to win a Gold Medal by it's excellence in that style of play.

Luckily for us Manu gets it better than Wally.

You are wrong, you donīt yet understand the concept of team play or what a player must do, in our team, we have a first option, TD and there 2 or 3 second options, sometimes can be Tony, sometimes Manu and Bowen too, but players like Manu when miss some shots, made others things, and Tony when he miss, doesnīt know what he can do,and begins to commit mistakes, however others like Bowen, when doesnīt score knows that things must do by the benefit of the team

Thatīs the Only things that Tony must to Learn

whottt
01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Tony is what he is and Manu is what he is...

Tony is more of a scorer and the Spurs have a pristine W-L record when Parker has a big scoring game...even Manu will tell you that Tony is the second scorer on this team...and Manu will also tell you that scoring isn't what he does best...

Manu is an all around player who does a variety of different things to help his team win...Manu is at his best when he fills out the stat sheet.

Parker helps the team the most by scoring. Parker quite simply can't do all of the things that Manu can do...but Parker can help this team when he has a big scoring game.

Parker has more of a go to shot than Manu...

And we are just better when he scores...A fact easily proved by looking at our W-L record when Tony does have a big scoring game.

Tony is what Tony is...does no good to hate him or criticize him because he isn't Manu...

Tony is not the one denying Manu scoring opportunities...blame Pop for that if anyone and blame Manu as well...

Don't let the fact that Manu scored 48 points in a game confuse you into thinking Manu should be the second scorer or that he is being held back by Tony...Manu scored 48 points in a game because he is Manu and it's stuff like that that makes him an amazing player...but that doesn't mean he should be the second scorer ahead of Parker and I think Manu would say the same thing.

And Manu is the better all around player...you must think it's easy for players to have an all around game like Manu...if it was then Manu wouldn't be Manu.

He's also about 5 years older than Parker...how good was Manu's game when he was 22?

I understand enough about team play to understand that you don't hate a player on your team just because you think he is taking shots away from your home town boy...when it is the coach that is asking him to take those shots.

waly.mg
01-27-2005, 03:12 PM
ARE YOU READING, I DONīT HATE TONY, I LIKE TONYīS GAME, THE FIRST 3 QTS

Teh fact is then Tony nust to defeat the opponent PG in Score, when Tony beat Nash, Cassell, Marbury, is a Garbage Victory, but when he canīt beat they, generally is a Lost

Thatīs the True, Manu at 22 probably was a square Head, but Tonyīs head is the same since he was a Rookie, Beno Udrih run the Offense like a veteran and is 22 too.

Manu never play for his numbers, he said then he hate the Garbage Time, when the Garbage beggining he want to go home

Manu never shoot in the Garbage, never go to the rim, and heīs not concentrated, probably is a big mistake too, but thus he his

Check the FT% in the Garbage of Manu and you can see

IceColdBrewski
01-27-2005, 04:32 PM
My guess is the Spurs think if Parker is named an All-Star, he would start putting too much pressure on himself to play like an All-Star every night and he'd go back into his funk.

Or maybe they just know that Manu is the better player and deserves it more.

Obvious
01-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Why is no one listening? Tony was SICK against the Suns.
I'm listening and I believe you but who care that in this thread?
I'm sorry Kori but, did you read the article of Buck Harvey?. I'm very interested in your opinion about it.
My apology if you did it.

Kori Ellis
01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm listening and I believe you but who care that in this thread?

Someone in this thread said something like Tony was benched against the Suns. That's why it's relative to this thread.

Yes, I read Buck Harvey's article on Manu. I thought it was a great piece.

The best part was the ending, which epitomizes Manu's humble approach to the game and team-first attitude.

He took only eight shots in a rout of the same Sacramento that the Spurs play tonight.

How many scorers in the league have an ego that would allow them to go from 48-point superstar to role player?

But these are the nights that skew his stats and his worth, keeping him below so-called star status. It doesn't matter that the Spurs go to him at the end of games or that he remains their fearless constant or that he excites the fans without that as his goal or that he wins.

That isn't good enough to be an All-Star, is it?

Obvious
01-27-2005, 05:02 PM
The best part was the ending, which epitomizes Manu's humble approach to the game and team-first attitude.
Thank you Kori, I agree with you and I add this part of the article which explain perfectly the "Manu's way":

Bodies had blocked out Gregg Popovich's view of the play. So, Popovich saw the pass for the first time at halftime, on a TV monitor, then stood stunned for about the 973rd time.

Why?
As Ginobili once said, "It's what I do."

What-I-do isn't contrived. Ginobili doesn't go behind his back to look sweet, and he doesn't make faces when he does something special. He doesn't attempt anything with the idea that he will get attention for it.

What-I-do is just the way he plays, and it comes with the toughness of a boxer. Ginobili is not afraid of being hit, and he's not afraid to take it to bigger guys

samikeyp
01-27-2005, 06:00 PM

Duncan is going.

Phenomanul
01-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Duncan is going.

Yeah... but not as Mr. Popularity.....

Tek_XX
01-27-2005, 06:20 PM
The problem with Tony isn't that he's not clutch, he has been in the past, his problem is that he can sometimes be inconsistent.

SequSpur
01-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Ray Allen
2004-05 Statistics
PPG 23.9
RPG 4.1
APG 4.1
SPG 1.17
BPG .05
FG% .425
FT% .890
3P% .375
MPG 40.1

Manu Ginobili
2004-05 Statistics
PPG 15.5
RPG 4.5
APG 3.9
SPG 1.74
BPG .36
FG% .478
FT% .807
3P% .389
MPG 29.6

Allen is kicking Ginobili's ass in ppg, apg, ft% and minutes.

Allen is going to the allstar game. Gino is going to the riverwalk.

Come on homers, please wake up. One 48 point game doesn't make an allstar.

samikeyp
01-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah... but not as Mr. Popularity.....

he must be somewhat popular...the fans are voting him in.

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
He's also about 5 years older than Parker...how good was Manu's game when he was 22?

That's one way to look at it , Whottt.

But you have to realize, Tony is in his 4th NBA season.

Manu is in his 3rd.

Tony has more experience than Manu in the NBA. Age doesn't always mean everything.

whottt
01-27-2005, 08:39 PM
That's one way to look at it , Whottt.

And another way is through blue and white lenses...no doubt.

But you have to realize, Tony is in his 4th NBA season.

Manu is in his 3rd.

Tony has more experience than Manu in the NBA. Age doesn't always mean everything.

No doubt.

Manu is close to his peak....regardless of how long he has been in the NBA. The next 2-3 years should be the best basketball Manu will ever play in his life...

Parker's best basketball is a long way ahead of him.

Manu has played a hell of a lot more basketball in his life than Parker...he's played more pro-basketball against grown men than Parker.

At the same experience level Manu was not an NBA prospect, while Parker was.

Parker may not ever improve...but he will be an exception to the rule...Jordan, Hakeem, Shaq, Drob...most great NBA players hit their prime around the age of 27-30.

And as you guys are quick to point out...as the Olympics prove...it's not like Manu was playing in a shit league over in Europe.

He's a more experienced player than Parker and he is at the point of his career where his mental and physical peaks are closest to intersecting.

Manu is the better all around player right now...as he should be...but it's foolish to think Parker won't mature...specifically in the area of making mature decisions.

And let's not forget...PG and C are supposed to the hardest NBA positions to master.

Obvious
01-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Come on homers, please wake up. One 48 point game doesn't make an allstar.
Yeah!! you right. That was just a lucky day, Buck Harvey is an idiot who not understand basketball like you. :lmao