PDA

View Full Version : How about these changes?

Buddy Holly
05-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Place Barry in the starting line up.

Dress and play Ian.

?

T Park
05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Play Ian Mahinmi, who hasn't played an NBA game since the middle of November in a do or die elimination game?

wtf?!?

Tigole Bitties
05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, and beg David Robinson, George Gervin, and the Ghost of Manu Ginobili to play in the next 3 games

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm with you on starting Barry. The other obvious adjustment is to leave Michael Finley in San Antonio.

Buddy Holly
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Play Ian Mahinmi, who hasn't played an NBA game since the middle of November in a do or die elimination game?

wtf?!?

Did I say start him? Did I say give him 30 minutes?

What's the worse that could happen if you dressed him and played him just to see what he can do. If he can't do shit, sit him down and don't play him. If his long arms and height nets us some rebounds and blocked shots, whoo!

baseline bum
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
and then sign Lloyd Daniels to play the SG since Manu's at about 40%.

SPARKY
05-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Ian plays next season.

tp2021
05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
we should sign avery. he aint got no team.

T Park
05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Did I say start him? Did I say give him 30 minutes?

What's the worse that could happen if you dressed him and played him just to see what he can do. If he can't do shit, sit him down and don't play him. If his long arms and height nets us some rebounds and blocked shots, whoo!

Whats the worst that could happen?

Your up 8, he gets about 4 quick fouls, like hes done all year in the NBDL, gets the Lakers FTs, and gets the Spurs out of rythum, thats what could happen, VERY easily.

Septic
05-27-2008, 11:46 PM
leave Michael Finley in San Antonio.One can only hope.

loveforthegame
05-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Ian would produce more than Finley did in this entire series.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Start Barry - yes, shoulda happened in game 1.

Ian? You must be kidding. Try some KT so we don't get whopped on the boards.

Buddy Holly
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Whats the worst that could happen?

Your up 8, he gets about 4 quick fouls, like hes done all year in the NBDL, gets the Lakers FTs, and gets the Spurs out of rythum, thats what could happen, VERY easily.

Really, you planned that perfectly realistic scenario all by yourself? Dude, I seriously doubt he's in long enough to rake up four nevertheless four in a row so quickly that it washes away an 8 point lead. Also, wtf is rythum?

T Park
05-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Really, you planned that perfectly realistic scenario all by yourself? Dude, I seriously doubt he's in long enough to rake up four nevertheless four in a row so quickly that it washes away an 8 point lead. Also, wtf is rythum?

Hes not playing, and you don't play NBDL players in the Western Finals.

Period, end of discussion...

Kobulingam
Easy solution: Have Horry backpick Finley's fucking back on the team bus.

CharlieMac
Tim Duncan thinks that's retarded.

mystargtr34
05-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Ian Mahinmi couldnt POSSIBLY ... POSSIBLY.. be any worse than Horry... no way.
Horry fucking sux... hes worse than Micheal Finley...

Buddy Holly
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Hes not playing, and you don't play NBDL players in the Western Finals.

Period, end of discussion...

We're down 3-1, we have nothing to lose by playing him now and possibly lucking out with someone who can do something. You know, because Horry, Finley, Bonner and Thomas have done jackshit

pad300
05-27-2008, 11:56 PM

wtf?!?

I'll admit, I thought about it earlier in the series. I would rather play Ian, NBDL player that he is, rather than play small-ball with Finley as PF...and maybe even in preference to Horry's dead and enbalmed ass. You have to admit, he matches up with Odom better than anyone else on the roster.

I'd expect to get maybe 10 mpg out of it total, broken up into 2 and 3 minute chunks, unless he gets hot...

Bruno
05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
It's too late to try Mahinmi this year but I'm pissed because Pop didn't give him a chance.
At the start of the season pop said "we won't limit him in the pigeon hole" and he did the exact opposite. :bang

T Park
05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
We're down 3-1, we have nothing to lose by playing him now and possibly lucking out with someone who can do something. You know, because Horry, Finley, Bonner and Thomas have done jackshit

Get over it. Mahinmi shouldn't and WON'T play in game 5.

Yes he would or could play worse than horry and or Thomas.

td4mvp21
05-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Do it.

T Park
It's too late to try Mahinmi this year but I'm pissed because Pop didn't give him a chance.
At the start of the season pop said "we won't limit him in the pigeon hole" and he did the exact opposite. :bang

He was decent in the worst basketball league in the world.
He was not ready for the NBA. PERIOD.

T Park
I'll admit, I thought about it earlier in the series. I would rather play Ian, NBDL player that he is, rather than play small-ball with Finley as PF...and maybe even in preference to Horry's dead and enbalmed ass. You have to admit, he matches up with Odom better than anyone else on the roster.

I'd expect to get maybe 10 mpg out of it total, broken up into 2 and 3 minute chunks, unless he gets hot...

No.

No.

No.

pad300
05-27-2008, 11:59 PM

Hey - Leave Bonner and Thomas out of this, it's not like they have had the opportunity to do jack, never mind jackshit...

Bruno
05-28-2008, 12:00 AM
He was decent in the worst basketball league in the world.
He was not ready for the NBA. PERIOD.

Stop talking from your ass. PERIOD.

pad300
05-28-2008, 12:01 AM
No.

No.

No.

OK, who's a better physical match up with Odom on the roster?

You said it, now back it up.

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 12:02 AM
I like Ian for next year ... and Splitter.

May as well start talking about next year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2008, 12:03 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone 20+ replies to Buddy Holly advocating for Mahinmi in game 5 in LA.

Buddy needs to stick to the SA metro development threads and people need to quit responding to the guy who knows less about bball than Doug Collins.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:04 AM

There isn't one. Thats the point.

You roll with what you have.

K-State Spur
05-28-2008, 12:05 AM
definitely some tweaks are called for, but nothing drastic.

let's face it, it comes down to manu. this is simply not a championship team if manu isn't producing. there's no move that popovich can make to cover up for one of the big 3 being completely inept.

now, if manu can push past the ankle pain and play to some level that resembles his regular self, the Spurs are more than capable of winning 3 straight including 2 on the lakers' floor.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm with you on starting Barry. The other obvious adjustment is to leave Michael Finley in San Antonio.

:lol :tu Words cannot describe how badly I want to punch that gum smackin SOB.

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone 20+ replies to Buddy Holly advocating for Mahinmi in game 5 in LA.

Buddy needs to stick to the SA metro development threads and people need to quit responding to the guy who knows less about bball than Doug Collins.

Maybe less than Collins but not TPark.

Anyway, what I maybe should have stated in the first post was to play him just to see what he has. Put him out there with Duncan for a small span of time. What's the worse that could happen?

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 12:07 AM

That I will agree to. If I recall correctly, didn't Jordan Farmar play in both the D League and the Lakers regular season last year? He went back and forth getting experience from both.

I just don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Why couldn't Ian get real game experience as well?

pad300
05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
...You have to admit, he matches up with Odom better than anyone else on the roster....

...No...

There isn't one. Thats the point.

You roll with what you have.

T Park do you see the contradiction? Your starting to get delusional... If he's the best defensive matchup on Odom, he might be worth trying...

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Ok, since Ian dressing is such a bad idea...

Why not DerMarr?

I only ask for one of them to see some court time because we need youth, athleticism and height/reach (Ian).

I think DerMarr would do much better on Odom than anyone else has.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:17 AM
That I will agree to. If I recall correctly, didn't Jordan Farmar play in both the D League and the Lakers regular season last year? He went back and forth getting experience from both.

I just don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Why couldn't Ian get real game experience as well?

One played college basketball for a premier program, and ones played for Paris Basket Racing or whatever, and the Austin Toros.

Who do you think has more experience...

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:17 AM

T Park do you see the contradiction? Your starting to get delusional... If he's the best defensive matchup on Odom, he might be worth trying...

The best defensive matchup on Odom is a player sitting in another country.

Ian is not getting time, nor should he.

GIVE UP ON IT!!

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Ok, since Ian dressing is such a bad idea...

Why not DerMarr?

I only ask for one of them to see some court time because we need youth, athleticism and height/reach (Ian).

I think DerMarr would do much better on Odom than anyone else has.

Relying on defense from a guy whos a horrible defender?

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:19 AM

Dermarr's defense > Finley's defense

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Dermarr's defense > Finley's defense

:lol

Yeah play the guy who Denver thought was a bad defender.
Whats that say?

pad300
05-28-2008, 12:21 AM

I'm with T-park on this one. Demarr is not a plan...

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:22 AM
:lol

Yeah play the guy who Denver thought was a bad defender.
Whats that say?

Who the fuck cares.

At 6'9 he'd be a better answer for Odom than Finley.

Do you agree or not?

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Who the fuck cares.

At 6'9 he'd be a better answer for Odom than Finley.

Do you agree or not?

Neither one is a good answer.

The answer is not on the roster.

The quicker you realize that, the better.

objective
05-28-2008, 12:23 AM
I agree about starting Barry.

And while I agree that Mahinmi couldn't produce less than Horry and agree that Mahinmi should have been given opportunities this season, playing Mahinmi now would just be risky to his psyche and future development. Plunking him in a back-against-the-wall pressure cooker in the WCF isn't the best thing.

I would add that it was curious that in a game where the rebounding was so poor that Kurt Thomas, probably the best rebounder after Duncan, couldn't get any time.

And as sad as I am to say it, I say give Bonner a chance.

Now I can't stand Bonner. Bonner is the iconic on-court presence of all the anti-Scola buffoons and their idiocy, he is the legacy. His contract is a farce, him making what Scola makes and 3 times what Udoka makes is laughable and could force the Spurs into giving up prospects to get rid of his contract.

But even though I feel that way, I don't think he can be worse than Horry has been. He can't pass up more open shots, brick more contested shots, or give up more offensive rebounds.

Bonner was allegedly signed to be the Horry heir and to 'spread the floor' with his overrated shooting.

Well shove him in there and let him prove why he does or doesn't deserve his contract. I want everyone to finally know and come to terms with what the Spurs really got when they re-signed him. If he comes through, awesome. He's a saviour and has a place in the plans for the future. If not, might as well start the clock on packaging the 2008 first round pick with his contract in a deal for a future second rounder.

But . . . we all know that Pop is going to roll Horry and Finley out there again, just like when Steve Smith and Terry Porter were out there while Stephen Jackson sat with a faked injury.

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Neither one is a good answer.

The answer is not on the roster.

The quicker you realize that, the better.

Bitch, quit dodging and answer the question presented.

I didn't state he was the answer. I never said he'd stop Odom.

I said he's a better answer than Finley. Now either he is or he isn't.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Bitch, quit dodging and answer the question presented.

I didn't state he was the answer. I never said he'd stop Odom.

I said he's a better answer than Finley. Now either he is or he isn't.

Its not dodging its just fact.

Finley and Demarr are both bad defenders.

Whats the point of activating one horrible defender for 1 game and shove him in there when he has no business being in there.

Stop grasping at straws.

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I would add that it was curious that in a game where the rebounding was so poor that Kurt Thomas, probably the best rebounder after Duncan, couldn't get any time.

Pop can't play Thomas because he's so immobile on the defensive end.

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Its not dodging its just fact.

Finley and Demarr are both bad defenders.

Whats the point of activating one horrible defender for 1 game and shove him in there when he has no business being in there.

Stop grasping at straws.

Dermarr at 6'9 and reach is better suited at defending Odom who isn't that much of an offensive juggernaut compared to Finley. Whether your hard headed skull is better able to absorb that now or never it not my fault.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Dermarr at 6'9 and reach is better suited at defending Odom who isn't that much of an offensive juggernaut compared to Finley. Whether your hard headed skull is better able to absorb that now or never it not my fault.

Body wise? Of course he is.

Brain and ability wise? NO.

I don't know why you keep hanging onto Demarr Johnson being the savior..

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Body wise? Of course he is.

Brain and ability wise? NO.

I don't know why you keep hanging onto Demarr Johnson being the savior..

LOL

Whatever. I for the first time ever type his name into my keyboard about four posts ago and somehow you have it as me saying he's the savior?

Your shit is funny to say the least.

Lake_show
05-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Your problem is you have Bowen who is NO offensive threat and NOberto.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 12:33 AM
One played college basketball for a premier program, and ones played for Paris Basket Racing or whatever, and the Austin Toros.

Who do you think has more experience...

:rolleyes How many years did Tony Pakrer play for a "premier college program?"

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:34 AM
LOL

Whatever. I for the first time ever type his name into my keyboard about four posts ago and somehow you have it as me saying he's the savior?

Your shit is funny to say the least.

Your the one proposing taking guys who haven't played in weeks to just thrust them in the most important game of the season.

Your pulling shit out of all corners of the universe that doesn't make sense.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:35 AM

Tony Parker is the exception to the rule.

You know that, come on.

Buddy Holly

I'll answer before TPark dodges the question and retorts with something not even closely relating to your question.

TDMVPDPOY
oberto is a fukn joke

we couldve sign any fukn scrub center who can jump would do better then this clown

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Your problem is you have Bowen who is NO offensive threat.

:lmao Laker fans are clueless. Have you even been watching this series? Bowen has been the Spurs most consistent offensive threat. He's hitting his open 3 pointers, hell, I even saw him successfully drive to the basket for a contested layup tonight.

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:36 AM

You know that, come on.

Fuck! Too late.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 12:37 AM

You know that, come on.

:lmao How the hell do you know that Mahimi isn't? You have yet to see him play in the NBA.

I'm sure he's not going to be at the level Parker was. But my point being, Pop should have given him a chance to build in the regular season. I doubt he would have been very helpful this series, but shit, he couldn't possibly be any worse than Horry/Kurt Thomas could he?

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:37 AM
I'll answer before TPark dodges the question and retorts with something not even closely relating to your question.

None, I know that, but he was the exception to the rule.

Also, Ian Mahinmi is not and was not as talented as Tony parker is or was.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:38 AM
:lmao How the hell do you know that Mahimi isn't? You have yet to see him play in the NBA.

I'm sure he's not going to be at the level Parker was. But my point being, Pop should have given him a chance to build in the regular season. I doubt he would have been very helpful this series, but shit, he couldn't possibly be any worse than Horry/Kurt Thomas could he?

Uh yeah he could.

Whatever though, you guys are turning Ian Mahinmi into James White.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Uh yeah he could.

Whatever though, you guys are turning Ian Mahinmi into James White.

You know what, maybe we are. But I am getting fuckin tired of the Spurs using their draft picks to get foreign players they stow away for years while wasting away Duncan's prime years.

Spurs have officially gotten old. They got very lucky last season with a relatively easy path to the Finals (minus the Suns). Not having any single young player on this team outside of Tony Parker after all this time is just plain wasteful. Even the Pistons with all their low draft picks have managed to land prospective young talent they can utilize in the postseason (see Stucky, Maxiel, etc.)

ANyways, this is neither here nor there. F the Lakers. F Phil Jackson. F Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher. and F David Stern and Joey Crawford. :pctoss

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:43 AM
None, I know that, but he was the exception to the rule.

Also, Ian Mahinmi is not and was not as talented as Tony parker is or was.

Exception in what form? Seriously?

He was a young player who never played college, drafted late first round and was almost immediately given the starting job on a NBA contending team.

What's the exception?

And how can you even judge their talents when Ian hasn't played in the NBA more than five minutes. Because Tony lucked into a team that NEEDED a point guard?

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Exception in what form? Seriously?

He was a young player who never played college, drafted late first round and was almost immediately given the starting job on a NBA contending team.

What's the exception?

And how can you even judge their talents when Ian hasn't played in the NBA more than five minutes. Because Tony lucked into a team that NEEDED a point guard?

Fine, play the NBDLer.

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Wouldn't expect any other kind of response from you TPark.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't know what you want me to say, I've explained why you can't play Mahinmi, and you keep coming back with even more out of left field comparisons.

I'm done arguing. Whatever. You think playing bigmen who can't stay out of foul trouble in the NBDL is the thing to turn the series around. Whatever.

Buddy Holly
05-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't know what you want me to say, I've explained why you can't play Mahinmi, and you keep coming back with even more out of left field comparisons.

I'm done arguing. Whatever. You think playing bigmen who can't stay out of foul trouble in the NBDL is the thing to turn the series around. Whatever.

What comparisons did I make, nonetheless left field?

Where did I state that playing him would turn the series around?

Get your head out your ass please.

T Park
05-28-2008, 12:54 AM
What comparisons did I make, nonetheless left field?

Where did I state that playing him would turn the series around?

Get your head out your ass please.

Your asking for changes that could turn around a series.
You suggest playing Mahinmi.

Your the one with the head in your ass.