PDA

View Full Version : Serious questions for Spurs fans

GSH
05-28-2008, 01:26 AM
I have a few legitimate questions for Spurs fans. I don't intend for them to be rhetorical... I would really like to hear how other Spurs fans answer. Take a second to actually picture things in your mind, and be honest with yourselves about the answers. [Please - the game is over, and for all purposes the season. I am really curious about how different people view the game.]

1. Remember the Memorial Day Miracle? Take a second to picture it in your mind... but this time the defender flashing out leaves his feet and lands on top of Sean, denying him the opportunity to take the shot, and there is no foul call. Would you say that the Spurs did not deserve to win that game, because of everything that happened before that play? Would it matter if you knew, for 100% certain, that Sean would have made the "miracle" shot had he been allowed to shoot it?

2. Think about the scenario from tonight's game, but in reverse. Picture in your mind - Kobe Bryant stepping up to take a game-winning 3 point shot. Bruce Bowen comes to defend, leaves his feet, and lands on top of Kobe. Do you really, honestly believe that there is any possibility that it would be a no-call?

3. This can only be answered by those who say the Spurs didn't deserve to win tonight. Picture Barry's shot at the end somehow going in, sort of like the Memorial Day Miracle. Would you still be posting comments about the Spurs not deserving to win the game, or would you be acknowledging a "heroic effort"?

I sat here wondering - if the Spurs didn't deserve to win tonight, how did they deserve to win in 1999, when they got totally out-played by Portland for most of the game? (They were down by 18 in the third quarter.) And if Manu's foul on Nowitzki at the end of Game 7 was really such a stupid play, how stupid was it for Fisher to leave his feet and fly at a 3-point shooter at the end of this game? Is the only difference the sound of a whistle, or one lucky shot?:depressed

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 01:27 AM
You deserve to win the game if you score more than your opponent.

Period.

Strike
05-28-2008, 01:37 AM
I have a few legitimate questions for Spurs fans. I don't intend for them to be rhetorical... I would really like to hear how other Spurs fans answer. Take a second to actually picture things in your mind, and be honest with yourselves about the answers. [Please - the game is over, and for all purposes the season. I am really curious about how different people view the game.]

1. Remember the Memorial Day Miracle? Take a second to picture it in your mind... but this time the defender flashing out leaves his feet and lands on top of Sean, denying him the opportunity to take the shot, and there is no foul call. Would you say that the Spurs did not deserve to win that game, because of everything that happened before that play? Would it matter if you knew, for 100% certain, that Sean would have made the "miracle" shot had he been allowed to shoot it?
Had that happened the way you describe, I would have said Elliott got hosed on that call. But keep in mind, that was game 2 with the Spurs ahead in the series.

2. Think about the scenario from tonight's game, but in reverse. Picture in your mind - Kobe Bryant stepping up to take a game-winning 3 point shot. Bruce Bowen comes to defend, leaves his feet, and lands on top of Kobe. Do you really, honestly believe that there is any possibility that it would be a no-call?
Kobe definitely would have got the call in that scenario. And I would have said two things: Kobe would get the call because he's Kobe and because of the team for which he plays, and I would have been pissed at Bowen for committing a stupid foul.

3. This can only be answered by those who say the Spurs didn't deserve to win tonight. Picture Barry's shot at the end somehow going in, sort of like the Memorial Day Miracle. Would you still be posting comments about the Spurs not deserving to win the game, or would you be acknowledging a "heroic effort"?
I would have said the Spurs eeked out a win and were lucky to get it.

I sat here wondering - if the Spurs didn't deserve to win tonight, how did they deserve to win in 1999, when they got totally out-played by Portland for most of the game? (They were down by 18 in the third quarter.) And if Manu's foul on Nowitzki at the end of Game 7 was really such a stupid play, how stupid was it for Fisher to leave his feet and fly at a 3-point shooter at the end of this game? Is the only difference the sound of a whistle, or one lucky shot?:depressed

Once again, the game in 1999 was game 2 and San Antonio was clearly the better team in that series. The Spurs would have still beaten the Blazers, in my opinion. And Manu's foul on irk, whether a valid call or not, was a dumb thing for him to do. I cursed Manu for doing it when it happened.

2centsworth
05-28-2008, 01:38 AM
deserve don't mean anything. plenty of players deserved to win championships.

whottt
05-28-2008, 02:05 AM
We got screwed but it's done....

And let's not forget losing game one was 100% on the Spurs.

Spurs had their chances...if they lose this series it'll be because of more than just that one play....lots of things going on with them, especially in the energy department and health. Yes that foul was arguably the final cut...but still, if they win that game 1 this isn't as big.

That doesn't mean that play wasn't a huge load of horseshit though...don't get me wrong. It was...but we can't change it.

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 03:17 AM
The reality is that there are many blown calls throughout the course of a game. Arguments can be made for all eternity that any singular blown call [or made call for that matter], would have made all the difference in the world. The clock should've reset. It was a clean block. It was a foul. It was a traveling violation. Any of those get called correctly and the outcome may have been different. Or it may have not.

Point is, they are all prefaced with a "what if."

But on one point, I disagree with you. I think if that was Kobe shooting that ball, the foul still would not have been called. It is inherently more controversial to call a foul than it is to let the play decide in a last second shot. We've all watched numerous playoff games. Those fouls and traveling violations rarely get called. Even Barry and Popovitch conceded as such.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 03:19 AM
The reality is that there are many blown calls throughout the course of a game. Arguments can be made for all eternity that any singular blown call [or made call for that matter], would have made all the difference in the world. The clock should've reset. It was a clean block. It was a foul. It was a traveling violation. Any of those get called correctly and the outcome may have been different. Or it may have not.

Point is, they are all prefaced with a "what if."

But on one point, I disagree with you. I think if that was Kobe shooting that ball, the foul still would not have been called. It is inherently more controversial to call a foul than it is to let the play decide in a last second shot. We've all watched numerous playoff games. Those fouls and traveling violations rarely get called. Even Barry and Popovitch conceded as such.

Serious questions for Spurs fans. Fail.

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 03:32 AM
Serious questions for Spurs fans. Fail.

I'm a fan of the Spurs. If they eliminate the Lake Show, I'll root for the team to beat the hacks in the east.

Did she mean "fans of ONLY the Spurs"?

Lakers14Titles
05-28-2008, 03:34 AM
I have a much better question. Is GSH hot?

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 03:35 AM
I have a much better question. Is GSH hot?

I think she may have been at some point in time. But the bitterness has worn her down, I think. She gets pissed real easily.

Watch.

Lakers14Titles
05-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Bitter chicks can be hot. I mean she has terrible taste in basketball teams, but that can always be fixed. GSH, pics please.