PDA

View Full Version : Dynasty coming to an end?

41times
05-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Was last night's game the next to the last nail in the coffin that contains the Spurs 10 year Dynasty?

The big 3 are still big. But the rest of the team is old, old & old.

Can/will the organization add some youth to the team this off season and next year to give the big 3 another few cracks at a title.

or

will they simply be just another good team that runs out of steam in the playoffs until Duncan retires?

i don't know the Spurs management or ownership. what are they thinking about doing? Trade some of the big 3 for good young players? Trade them all and start over or simply add by free agency?

What is the plan??????

mystargtr34
05-28-2008, 08:48 AM
I posted this earlier... im not sure what all the fuss is about...

This run definately isnt over.

If you look at the 3 core guys

Duncan - He just turned 32... in other words hes only 2 years older than Kobe... except his game isnt based on athleticism and he should be able to compete at an All-NBA level until hes about 35 ala Hakeem Olajuwon. Even more so than Hakeem... Tim's game is based on skill and understanding the game... so even when his 'athleticism' detiorates he will still be a force... whether Duncan chooses to go long past that is anybodies guess.

Manu - Hes 30... and hes the wildcard... He gets banged up easily... and like timvp said you have to takwe the good with the bad... but he certaintly has at least 2 maybe 3 more good years.

Parker - He just turned 26 and he hasnt hit his prime yet... hes established himself as a top5 PG and if he can somehow improve his passing game he could join Deron and CP3 as the cream and really become a big time player... if he already hasnt.

Bowen - This part sux... the dude is amazing and hes a physical specimin but he cant go on forever... and sooner or later ... heres to sooner... the Front Offic decides to pull their head out of their ass and maybe draft a guy to groom and replace him.

The next set of guys are all an integral part of the team but to be honest im not that worried because theyre all replaceable.. and their the old guys

Finley and Horry are pretty much gone...

Barry should be the only 'old' guy along with Bowen on the team next year...

Splitter just turned 23
Mahinmi is 21

Hopefully we can pick up a good wing in the draft ... maybe Brandon Rush or Nicolas Batum.

And use the mid level to get a scorer or a backup PG.

The Spurs future still looks bright.

jokyfo
05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
The San Anphonio Sterns never had a dynasty. They have never won even 2 in a row.

You have to at least repeat as champs and defend your title sucessfully to even be considered to have a dynasty.

NO DYNASTY!

SpurOutofTownFan
05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
The run isn't over yet - it's clear the big 3 have at least 2 years more of serious business within them - the problem has been the role players aside from Bowen who I don't consider role at all.

Udoka was supposed to be Bowen's replacement....

You also have Bonner who should be playing real time. And Splitter and Ian

I think the FO needs to look at this and get a real bench. The spurs are in this hole because they didn't truly compete for the top spot of the West, then got handled by the league with the schedule so they are so fatigued they can't keep up anymore.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
The San Anphonio Sterns never had a dynasty. They have never won even 2 in a row.

You have to at least repeat as champs and defend your title sucessfully to even be considered to have a dynasty.

NO DYNASTY!

That's wishful thinking and you know it. 4 titles in 10 years looks like a dinasty to me and I don't even live in SA. The spurs have been in the finals or close to the finals 8 out of the last 11 times and a couple of those times they didn't make it there was a big * going on.

oligarchy
05-28-2008, 08:54 AM
KT, Horry, Finley, and Stoudamire will be gone next year.

Ian Mahimni may play more next year.
Splitter should hopefully come, depending on if chooses to stay with Tau

Other than that, everything else is a toss us as to what the Spurs will do. I just don't see them making any big splash in the FA market or making any big trades.

Is it the end? It depends on who they get and how they come along.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 08:57 AM
:lmao How is the Dynasty over? Spurs still ended up with 50 wins and a trip to the WCF with 4 great players and a bunch of scrubs.

As long as the Spurs have a healthy Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili they will always have a chance to win. And Bowen doesn't look to me like he's lost a single step either.

That being said, I will agree that this was probably the last and best chance the Spurs had to repeat.

TampaDude
05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
That's wishful thinking and you know it. 4 titles in 10 years looks like a dinasty to me and I don't even live in SA. The spurs have been in the finals or close to the finals 8 out of the last 11 times and a couple of those times they didn't make it there was a big * going on.

Yup...even Stern called the Spurs a dynasty...and they are...the San Antonio Spurs are the most successful pro sports franchise of the last decade...a .711 winning percentage...best in the NBA, NHL, MLB, or NFL.

Oh, BTW...this series ain't over yet...the Spurs are in a big hole now, but they're not done yet...they've been here before...maybe they have one more miracle up their sleeve...BELIEVE!!!

GO SPURS GO!!! :flag:

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 09:02 AM

NO DYNASTY!

opinion, not fact.

DEVILS SON IN LAW
05-28-2008, 09:08 AM

Well, shit..The Lakers are definately a dynasty then..3 championships and a couple more before the decade is over!:king We'll come out with more championship than SA. WE ARE THE DYNASTY OF THIS DECADE!!!:rollin

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 09:09 AM
"We'll" :lol

DEVILS SON IN LAW
05-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Yup...even Stern called the Spurs a dynasty...and they are...the San Antonio Spurs are the most successful pro sports franchise of the last decade...a .711 winning percentage...best in the NBA, NHL, MLB, or NFL.

Oh, BTW...this series ain't over yet...the Spurs are in a big hole now, but they're not done yet...they've been here before...maybe they have one more miracle up their sleeve...BELIEVE!!!

GO SPURS GO!!! :flag:

:lmao:lmao...:lmao..LET'S NOT KID YOURSELVES. IT IS OVER, FACE THE FACT. YOU GUYS HAD A NICE RUN. IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

TampaDude
05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
:lmao:lmao...:lmao..LET'S NOT KID YOURSELVES. IT IS OVER, FACE THE FACT. YOU GUYS HAD A NICE RUN. IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

It's over when one team wins 4 of 7...so it's not over yet...I'm gonna laugh at you forever if the Spurs take this series in 7. :lol

Sigz
05-28-2008, 09:19 AM
I think the front office should find a 6 foot 7 black baller, who can create his OWN shot.

I think we lack a real athletic 2 guard/3 who can just simply create for himself.

Nbadan
Lakers won't be a dynasty because of Kobe...when Lakers wins, he's a 'team player' but when the Lakers lose he's a cancer....

chokers4
you have to 3peat to be a dynsty. spurs cant even repeat. only being capable of winning titles on bogus calls. allof your rings have astericks also.
99* short season
03* kobe didnt have enough help shaq was old
05* i cant even remember it was so boring i just tuned it out
07* refs suspended amare

the sum it up your a joke spurs.

TampaDude
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
you have to 3peat to be a dynsty. spurs cant even repeat. only being capable of winning titles on bogus calls. allof your rings have astericks also.
99* short season
03* kobe didnt have enough help shaq was old
05* i cant even remember it was so boring i just tuned it out
07* refs suspended amare

the sum it up your a joke spurs.

Yes, but a very successful joke... :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
you have to 3peat to be a dynsty.

Opinion, not fact.

saspicemeister
05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Not hardly! Four (4) Championships in 9 years?! So we rebuild for a couple..what the hell? You need to look at the Big Pitcher and put things in perspective.

DEVILS SON IN LAW
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM
It's over when one team wins 4 of 7...so it's not over yet...I'm gonna laugh at you forever if the Spurs take this series in 7. :lol

IF YOU HAD WON LAST NIGHT I MIGHT BELIEVE THAT..YOU HAD TO WIN BOTH AT HOME. YOU HAD TO!! BE HONEST WITH YOURSELVES, DO YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN WIN 3 STRAIGHT GAMES TO OUR 1!? WE CAME INTO YOUR HOUSE AND CONTROLLED THE WHOLE GAME IN A MUST WIN GAME FOR YOU. WE PLAYED WITH MORE URGENCY THAN YOU FROM THE GATE. YOU GUYS JUST CANNOT KEEP UP WITH THIS YOUNG "INEXPERIENCED" TEAM.

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 09:42 AM
"you" "our"

:lmao

DEVILS SON IN LAW
05-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Lakers won't be a dynasty because of Kobe...when Lakers wins, he's a 'team player' but when the Lakers lose he's a cancer....

You'd give your left arm to have Kobe on your team, so stop hatin'.

Nbadan
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
You'd give your left arm to have Kobe on your team, so stop hatin'.

...truth be told, I'd rather have Deron Williams or CP3, at least they have the heart of a champion and are team players

jack sommerset
05-28-2008, 09:50 AM
3 championships donot make a dynasty. Please Spur fans quit calling the 50 game strike season a championship then on top of it all insert the non championship into the conversation of dynasty.

The Celtics of the late 50's and 60's were a dynasty. The Lakers in the 80's were a dynasty. The Bulls of the 90's were a dynasty. Thats it. Anyone else claiming dynasty are fools.

Pretty soon teams who wins 2 in a row will be a DYNASTY. So silly. Except that a NBA dynasty may never exist again.

FYI. This to me was the best run the Spurs ever had. Teams were strong and healthy, no major injuries or suspensions to other teams. No upsets to other teams this year. They played the 3 best teams in the West and beat 2 of them. Broke the Suns hearts in game 1 that the Suns never recovered from, won game 7 on road in second series. Spew fans should be happy with a great effort this playoffs.

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 09:52 AM
3 championships donot make a dynasty. Please Spur fans quit calling the 50 game strike season a championship then on top of it all insert the non championship into the conversation of dynasty.

The Celtics of the late 50's and 60's were a dynasty. The Lakers in the 80's were a dynasty. The Bulls of the 90's were a dynasty. Thats it. Anyone else claiming dynasty are fools.

Pretty soon teams who wins 2 in a row will be a DYNASTY. So silly. Except that a NBA dynasty may never exist again.

FYI. This to me was the best run the Spurs ever had. Teams were strong and healthy, no major injuries or suspensions to other teams. No upsets to other teams this year. They played the 3 best teams in the West and beat 2 of them. Broke the Suns hearts in game 1that the Suns never recovered from, won game 7 on road in second series. Spew fans should be happy with a great effort this playoffs.

The NBA calls the 99 season a championship so if its good enough for them its good enough for me. The odds were equal for everyone. Being a Spurs fan you should know that.

mexicanjunior
05-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Well, shit..The Lakers are definately a dynasty then..3 championships and a couple more before the decade is over!:king We'll come out with more championship than SA. WE ARE THE DYNASTY OF THIS DECADE!!!:rollin

You still have to beat the East, no guarantees there...I would take Boston or Detroit over LA in a heartbeep in the Finals. They can actually score AND play defense...

ipeefreely
05-28-2008, 09:57 AM

NO DYNASTY!

This is spot on, sorry its no dynasty, you could argue they were the team of the late 90's and mid 00, but beyond that, come on....The Lakers won 3 in a row(and with Bynum coming back most likely it will happen again), the Bulls won 3 in a row TWICE, the Showtime lakers won two in a row and lot more than that...

Come on, this is no Dynasty just a great team over a 9 year period, lights out, end of story....

And the curtain closes on this bench full of guys that should be using walkers.

ElNono
05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
We made it to the WCF with basically NO bench, and you think the run is over?
What are you smoking? I think if we get to rebuild our bench with a valuable piece or two we'll be right back in the hunt next year.

DEVILS SON IN LAW
05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
"you" "our"

:lmao

Ok DICK, The "Spurs" and The "Lakers" is that better? It's ok to say "We" "Us" "Our", etc..You invest you time and money that's what makes you a fan..You have no response, so you harp on some little dumb shit..I'm glad you guys are outta here. I hope the "Spurs" don't even make the playoffs next year; and if you do WE WILL put your asses out AGAIN!:rollin DIE SLOW BITCHES!!! My work is done here...:flag::rollin:rollin:lmao:lmao:flag::nope

GrandeDavid
05-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Was last night's game the next to the last nail in the coffin that contains the Spurs 10 year Dynasty?

Can/will the organization add some youth to the team this off season and next year to give the big 3 another few cracks at a title.

or

will they simply be just another good team that runs out of steam in the playoffs until Duncan retires?

i don't know the Spurs management or ownership. what are they thinking about doing? Trade some of the big 3 for good young players? Trade them all and start over or simply add by free agency?

What is the plan??????

This dynasty coming to an end stuff is inaccurate. The Spurs will be younger and stronger...and hungrier next season. And this season isnīt over yet! Remember, Duncan restructured his salary, the Spurs have some length and youth coming over in Splitter and Mahinmi. The Spurs will contend next year and at least another year beyond that before really needing to work to get out of the first round.

Dynasty intact.

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Ok DICK, The "Spurs" and The "Lakers" is that better? It's ok to say "We" "Us" "Our", etc..You invest you time and money that's what makes you a fan..You have no response, so you harp on some little dumb shit..I'm glad you guys are outta here. I hope the "Spurs" don't even make the playoffs next year; and if you do WE WILL put your asses out AGAIN!:rollin DIE SLOW BITCHES!!! My work is done here...:flag::rollin:rollin:lmao:lmao:flag::nope

No what makes you a fan is your loyalty to your team through good times and bad. If you act like you actually have a stake in your team's success then you are the fool and you resort to name calling like a child instead of having an adult conversation. :toast

Killakobe81
05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
You still have to beat the East, no guarantees there...I would take Boston or Detroit over LA in a heartbeep in the Finals. They can actually score AND play defense...

Sourgarapes already?! Series not over and unlike you the Classy team gave the Lakers defense credit ...you must be 1 of the clowns that STIL claims we are not as goosd as Phoenix or New orleans :lmao

mexicanjunior
05-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Sourgarapes already?! Series not over and unlike you the Classy team gave the Lakers defense credit ...you must be 1 of the clowns that STIL claims we are not as goosd as Phoenix or New orleans :lmao

Sourgrapes? Just because I feel the East winner has a good, if not better chance to beat the Lakers than the Spurs did? Don't be mad that I won't be rooting for your precious team, you almost sound like you are hard up for respect and kudos when you yourself are already counting the championships up before the decade ends... :lol

SpursChampsIII
05-28-2008, 10:09 AM

IF you win two more this decade, then talk. You're not winning the title this year either, junior.

turiaf for president
05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
opinion, not fact.

funny show me some FACTS that define dynasty then

jack sommerset
05-28-2008, 10:17 AM
The NBA calls the 99 season a championship so if its good enough for them its good enough for me. The odds were equal for everyone. Being a Spurs fan you should know that.

They were not equal for everyone. 2 weeks prior to the start of the 50 games season alot of players had no clue what team they would be on. Check the Spurs roster that year and see that they had the same team in 98. Jordan retired because of 50 game season. Jackson said no thanks to the 50 game season and went on his way. The 8th seed Knicks lead by Sprewell made the finals that year. Man I can go on. I'm done.

Its good enough for the NBA so its good enough for you. HAHAHAHAHAHA. The NBA should have cancelled the season. The mighty dollar is what made the NBA say the 99 season was good enough for them. No foul on Barry last night either.

Anti.Hero
05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Yes.

It's over. It was a great run.

AztecPrincss
05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
YOu CAn Spend Minutes HOurs,days weeks or even months over analyzing the situation trying to put the pieces together justyfying what couldve wouldve happened..or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on..

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 10:25 AM
funny show me some FACTS that define dynasty then

That's my point, there is no set definition for dynasty.

dbreiden83080
05-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Spurs should have a shot at at least 1 more ring in the Duncan era and if not well 4 titles in a 9 year span is incredible and i will remember all the good times.

dbreiden83080
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
This is spot on, sorry its no dynasty, you could argue they were the team of the late 90's and mid 00, but beyond that, come on....The Lakers won 3 in a row(and with Bynum coming back most likely it will happen again),

Still laughing at these idiots callling multiple titles for the Lakers when Bynum comes back as if he is Shaq part 2. Spurs run BTW was better than the Lakers run because we had a 4th title. They won 3 in a row then split up and got chopped to pieces, we stayed the course for 9 years and won 4 titles.

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
They were not equal for everyone. 2 weeks prior to the start of the 50 games season alot of players had no clue what team they would be on. Check the Spurs roster that year and see that they had the same team in 98. Jordan retired because of 50 game season. Jackson said no thanks to the 50 game season and went on his way. The 8th seed Knicks lead by Sprewell made the finals that year. Man I can go on. I'm done.

Its good enough for the NBA so its good enough for you. HAHAHAHAHAHA. The NBA should have cancelled the season. The mighty dollar is what made the NBA say the 99 season was good enough for them. No foul on Barry last night either.

They were equal for everyone. Every team played the same amount of games and the playoffs were the same length as they would have been in an 82 game season.

Maybe the should have cancelled the season but they didn't. Besides as a Spurs fan, isn't a championship what you want to see?

dbreiden83080
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Spurs lose and i will be the biggest Piston/Celtic fan in the world, maybe it's time for LA to get whacked in the finals again.

jack sommerset
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
They were equal for everyone. Every team played the same amount of games and the playoffs were the same length as they would have been in an 82 game season.

Maybe the should have cancelled the season but they didn't. Besides as a Spurs fan, isn't a championship what you want to see?

YOU ARE CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Teams did not have PLAYERSSSSSSSSSSSS, Coaches, thats not EQUAL!

.........this is me :rollin moving on.................. Cya:bang

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 10:39 AM
YOU ARE CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Teams did not have PLAYERSSSSSSSSSSSS, Coaches, thats not EQUAL!

.........this is me :rollin moving on.................. Cya:bang

Every team had players and coaches. Sorry, try as you might you cannot change my mind nor do you have the right to try. And before you say it, no, I am not trying to change yours. You are the first Spurs fan I have met that actually doesn't like championships. Odd.

Spurs73
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
This is me to Jack Sommerset calling himself a Spur fan:rollin:lol:lol:lol

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 11:05 AM
This is spot on, sorry its no dynasty, you could argue they were the team of the late 90's and mid 00, but beyond that, come on....The Lakers won 3 in a row(and with Bynum coming back most likely it will happen again), the Bulls won 3 in a row TWICE, the Showtime lakers won two in a row and lot more than that...

Come on, this is no Dynasty just a great team over a 9 year period, lights out, end of story....

And the curtain closes on this bench full of guys that should be using walkers.

...and this coming from a fan of a team whose GM tries to run his team via Blackberry. A team whose had 3 coaches in 6 years and whose draft choices have yet to bear fruit. The only consistent element about the Bobtails is their annual appearance at the NBA Draft Lottery. Talk to me when you guys finally make the playoffs.

rascal
05-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Not hardly! Four (4) Championships in 9 years?! So we rebuild for a couple..what the hell? You need to look at the Big Pitcher and put things in perspective.

A big Pitcher won't help the spurs.

Fabbs
05-28-2008, 11:12 AM
it's getting more difficult to overcome Pops coaching, however with the infusion of Spitter and Ian this might give the Spurs a good jolt.

rascal
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
This dynasty coming to an end stuff is inaccurate. The Spurs will be younger and stronger...and hungrier next season. And this season isnīt over yet! Remember, Duncan restructured his salary, the Spurs have some length and youth coming over in Splitter and Mahinmi. The Spurs will contend next year and at least another year beyond that before really needing to work to get out of the first round.

Dynasty intact.

No one knows who the spurs will get this off season. They may again settle for older over the hill players so getting younger is not a sure thing.

They have not had a good track record the last couple of years getting good younger bench players.

Avitus1
05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
It's far from over!

wildbill2u
05-28-2008, 02:24 PM

or

What is the plan??????

The problem may be that they don't have the young mid-level personnel to play for the next couple of years until some of the new blood (Ian, Splitter) can make the team and learn the system. It normally takes a good solid NBA player a year or two and these rookies will need at least that much.

And now we find out that Splitter may stay with Tau for more money.

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'd say the dynasty with this group is over.

If they don't get younger, better players, they'll continue to get stomped in the playoffs by the Lakers et al (Hornets).

LA24
05-28-2008, 02:41 PM

You said "just a great team over a 9 year period."

:lol That's a dynasty isn't it ? Repeats are nice but not a
prerequisite for a dynasty.

CP3
05-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Never were a dynasty. But no, their run is not coming to an end. They still have a few years left. But I don't know if they will win any more titles.

Lakers_55
05-28-2008, 04:52 PM
That's my point, there is no set definition for dynasty.
Well, there is a precedent at one time when the Lakers had 4 titles in 8 years and were denied a dynasty title. This is from the Time to make History thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2538106&postcount=116

There was no internet in the 80's when the Lakers and Celtics battled it out that decade for supremecy, so no fan debates existed outside of the papers and talk radio.....However, I lived through it. Let's look at a few facts....

Champs
1980 Lakers
1981 Celtics
1982 Lakers
1983 76rs
1984 Celtics
1985 Lakers
1986 Celtics
1987 Lakers
1988 Lakers

We were always +1 or even with Boston until after 1987. In 1987 we had 4 championships in 8 years and no one would give us dynasty status. Two reasons; No back-to-back, and 3 Celtic titles in our span with usually as many as we had. We won in 1988 and then had 5 in 9, and got the Dyansty title.

This compares similar to the Spurs success. You have 4 titles in 9 years, but there is a Laker dynasty with a 3peat interupting your run. If the Lakers win it all this year, we will have 4 championships in 9 years, but our dynasty can't go back to 2002. We have to start a new one by winning more.

If the Spurs want undisputed claim to Dyansty status, they need to win it all this year. That gives you a back to back and four titles in six years. You may date your dynasty from 2003, not 1999. The latter title is just a nice bonus for you. Right now, few people outside of San Antonio call you or believe you to be a dynasty. You are a incredibly great team, I don't detract from your success one bit. But Bird never got his dynasty, and Magic and Kareem came close to not getting theirs either.

Also, same thread a few posts later:

Your fans are the ones that are claiming it. Dynasties are rare and you do have a chance to join the club and believe, me if you do, you will all boast it. However, instead of starting a new thread, let me give you plenty of ammunition for you to boast with. The term is called "Era"

We all know about the Bird/Magic era. when people talk about that era, we know of when they speak.

You Spurs fans have plenty of notable eras, an expert among you can date them correctly...

You have the:
ABA era
George Gervin era
The David Robinson era
The Tim Duncan era
The Big Three era
The Championship era (1999-date)
More to come....

Think about it, a lot of teams probably don't have more than one era they can claim. Now Spurs historians, define your eras and rightly boast about them!