PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs the "New England Patriots" of the NBA?

SPARKY
01-27-2005, 11:14 AM
The similiarities are striking. A defensive minded, no nonsense coach. A team with strong allegiance to the goal of winning a championship. Egos in check. Strong focus on game day execution. And hopefully 2 titles in 3 years.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

whottt
01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Our title winning era started before the Patriots'...actually, we had two before they did as well...

This makes the Patriots the "San Antonio Spurs" of the NFL.

Solid D
01-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Not a new idea, although it may be one you also thought of. I've heard several others compare the two organizations.

It'll be interesting to see how they compare 2-3 years from now. Will people be comparing them then?

Mr. Body
01-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Both teams get little of the respect they deserve.

Phenomanul
01-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Both teams get little of the respect they deserve.

I agree........ though the Market that harbors the Pats is the same one that markets the Celtics...

So then the only difference is market size.

T Park
01-27-2005, 01:41 PM
It is striking how similar both teams are.

quality guys. THere superstar players are very similar.

defense first. Both get very little respect.

IT would be cool if both teams could win there respective championships, and maybe, people will wake up to how good the organizations are.

Whottt, The Spurs won first true,in 99. But New England won in 2001 2 years before the Spurs in 03.

Spurs 99 03
Patriots 01 04

GrandeDavid
01-27-2005, 01:48 PM
As a sad, formerly disgruntled Bengals fan who knows Corey Dillon very well, I'd say no. Until the Spurs get a Dillon-like character, its hard to compare the two.

But not speaking in such limited fashion, I can definitely see some similarities, however its so tough to compare a 16 game ultra-physical NFL season in the elements versus an 82 game indoor grind. The Spurs, it would seem, appear to be on the "softer" side, what with chokes to teams like the Raptors, Rockets, Blazers etc., while the Patriots so routinely dominate. But from a discipline standpoint, a team chemistry standpoint and just a league dominance standpoint, I can see the legitimate comparison.

timvp
01-27-2005, 02:10 PM
I wish the Spurs had a Rodney Harrison. The toughness isn't quite there for the Spurs as it is for the Patriots.

Solid D
01-27-2005, 02:13 PM
They are both from the formerly "inferior" American (Jr.) Leagues/Assns.

50 cent
01-27-2005, 02:34 PM
The Spurs, it would seem, appear to be on the "softer" side, what with chokes to teams like the Raptors, Rockets, Blazers etc., while the Patriots so routinely dominate.
Uh, and that would explain NE losing to Miami this year how?

The 2 teams are amazingly similar and it just goes to show you that fluff and controversy that the media loves to spotlight doesn't win championships - Defense and having team chemistry is the key to success.

tlongII
01-27-2005, 02:37 PM
What makes you think the Spurs and Patriots don't get the respect they deserve? I think they both are respected tremendously.

td4mvp21
01-27-2005, 06:30 PM
^haha good one
but i think its a good thing that we dont get a whole lot of attention because it helps us to play harder, prove somthing , and keep our egos in check

T Park
01-27-2005, 06:36 PM
on the "softer" side

This is such BS.

Were the Patriots soft when they lost to Pittsburg and Miami on the road?

Kona
01-27-2005, 08:02 PM
i've been thinking this for a while now, and my lil' borther, who is a big-time pats fan for about 10 years now brought it up the other day.

a lot of similarities indeed. they both win with class and no one bitches(save for ty law).

Kona
01-27-2005, 08:03 PM
oh yeah, the pats offense improved this year as did the spurs..

SequSpur
01-27-2005, 08:12 PM
The Spurs have the best record in all sports over the last ten years or whatever it is, however, they are a consistent failure when it comes to winning a championship. They are well below expectations.

I blame Pop. Dude can't adjust.

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 08:13 PM
The Patriots do get the respect they deserve.

I'm not so sure if the Spurs do though.

At least they get more respect than the Eagles....

ducks
01-27-2005, 11:30 PM
At least they get more respect than the Eagles....

eagles tget restpect when they win rings
eagles have not

Extra Stout
01-28-2005, 11:26 AM
The Spurs have the best record in all sports over the last ten years or whatever it is, however, they are a consistent failure when it comes to winning a championship. They are well below expectations.

I blame Pop. Dude can't adjust.
Am I the only one around here who gets this guy's sense of humor?