PDA

View Full Version : Sean Marks worthy of more playing time

team-work
01-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Being a suitably sized big men and with 'young' compared with T-Mass and Big Shot Bob, Marks deserves more playing time. Also his skills and effort as shown in the last game vs the Kings.

This is also good for the team in the playoff time to add another good guy. If he gets the experience and confidence, there will be a good alternative. The older guys, though good themselves are more likely to have impaired performance given the tough competition in April to June.

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2005, 12:11 PM
I think that's a bit of a stretch at this point.

Sean Marks has played fewer than 60 NBA games over a number of years in the league. He's a hustler who has some skills, but for whatever reason, teams (as in more than one) aren't convinced that he's capable of being a regular contributor in any circumstance. I don't think Pop would have buried him on IR if he was convinced that Sean would be a regular rotation guy.

I just can't see how a guy with less than a season's worth of experience (and never a rotation player, ever) can be a superior playoff choice to a healthy Horry (that must be a joke) or a healthy Massenburg.

Besides, if you keep Marks active for the playoffs, and assuming they're all healthy, you must totally give up on one of the following: Duncan, Nesterovic, Massenburg, Horry, or Rose. Now who in that group do you want to keep in street clothes for the entire playoff run (and Nesterovic doesn't count, since Pop won't do it.)

boutons
01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
If Sean can get some minutes and show some contributions, then I'd prefer him to TMass. It wouldn't be hard for him to beat out Tmass who is already very marginal, and 8 years older.

TMass has had one good showing, @SAC, then disappeared @POR. 1 RB in 16 minutes. "tough" as charmin

T Park
01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Id rather see him do it consistently before giving him bigger minutes.

Garbage minute VS Sacramento's stiffs, is not impressive. But it was nice, and I hope he can do it more often. I like his outside jumper.

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
If Sean can get some minutes and show some contributions, then I'd prefer him to TMass. It wouldn't be hard for him to beat out Tmass who is already very marginal, and 8 years older.

TMass has had one good showing, @SAC, then disappeared @POR. 1 RB in 16 minutes. "tough" as charmin

Yet somehow, Massenburg has been a fairly consistent contributor for many years in the NBA, while Marks has struggled to ever find his way into anyone's rotation. Interesting job of using a single game to prove a broader point -- I guess context is pretty much irrelevant to your analysis.

I have a question: do you think that NBA coaches and GM's are inclined to disregard a player who can contribute in favor of playing some old guy who happens to be well-liked?

From what I've seen, Massenburg brings toughness that transcends rebounding or many other numbers. I think he also brings a hunger of sorts -- not unlike the hunger that Kevin Willis brought a couple of seasons ago. Massenburg is not a great rebounder, but he knows how to play the game, which cannot be discounted.

Just my guess, but I suspect Pop likely relies on Massenburg over Marks because Pop knows what's best for his team.

boutons
01-27-2005, 03:39 PM
The only context I'm interested in is the Spurs context, TonyM as a Spur, and this season. As 11th or 12th man, he is by definition marginal, just like Kevin was, getting a few garbage minutes here and there and not a few DNP CD's.

If YOU want to look at the TonyM context (as you do with Sean), explain why the guy, well liked?, has averaged about 1 season/team over 14 years? You would expect that with some organization, somewhere, sometime, that Tony would finally click and he would stick around be valued as a contributor worth keeping.

Whether it's Tony or Sean, the 11th/12th is marginal, a bench rider. I just like to see Sean get some minutes to see how he works out, with Rasho and Horry out or less that 100%, before Sean goes back on IR.

And WTF "transcendental" use is a "tough", "banger" guy if he doesn't get RBs, the primary "tough" contribution, the way a Fortson does? Giving his team possessions, and getting some put-back points? If he fouls 9 of 10 times when blocking a shot? If his foul rate is 15 - 20 fouls per 48 minutes, killing Spurs possessions and killing Spurs stops?

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I have no quarrel with Marks getting time now. But, absent some unbelievable contribution, I don't think there's any chance that Marks will be better suited to the playoff roster than Tony Massenburg. That is, after all, where this discussion began.

You may dislike his rebounding numbers, but there is much more to basketball than statistics. I'll take intangible contributions from the 11th or 12th man -- things like good box-outs so that Tim or others can get to extra rebounds; bodying up a big and pushing him further out to make his shot more difficult; and wearing down an opposing big who must push with him on both ends. Tell me where you see those types of things in boxscores. And tell me how Massenburg hasn't provided those things.

Statistics are fun and provide some measure of a player's utility, but they are not the end-all, be-all.

samikeyp
01-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Free Sean Marks! :p

SequSpur
01-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Sean Marks doesn't deserve any playing time. Dude needs to earn it.

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Sean Marks doesn't deserve any playing time. Dude needs to earn it.
How's he gonna earn it without playing?

That's how Barry showed he could play, when Manu was injured in the Portland game ( not last portland game ).

ChumpDumper
01-27-2005, 08:40 PM
It's all about matchups. Marks was much better suited to play against the Blazer frontline (tall, athletic). Shoulda played.

team-work
01-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Marks did get Pop's attention after the Olympics. He intended to use Marks more before the injury happened in the pre-season. Of course, one game should not decide everything. After all, it's good for the team to see another option to complement Tim Duncan.