PDA

View Full Version : Can we dump all our old players and get Gilbert at SG?

Rob123
05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Finley, Horry, Barry, are all way past their prime.

I know Barry put up an amazing game last night, but how many does he have left, not taking anything away from the guy, I think he's awesome, but he's 36.

Manu, ah Manu, he's an awesome player fun to watch, but god he's inconsistent.

We've got a 25 year old Tony Parker, cant we get a 25 year old Gilbert Arenas in at the starting 2? Manu reprising his role coming in off the bench for the 2 obviously.

This way when Tonys out, we can have Arenas trading pg duties with him.
Better then that god awful JV, and his passing and scoring are reminiscent of Barry, he's just 11 years younger!

He's testing the FA market, and obviously wants a max contract, I'm not up on the teams finances, can we even afford him? He's said he'd only return to washington if they resign Jamison. It looks like for all intensive purposes he'll remain a wizard next year...but for those who know Gilbert, nothings for certain!

HERE'S ARENAS PUTTING UP 60 AGAINST THE LAKERS
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hm2XO28YRYU

HERE HE IS DROPPING 54 ON THE SUNS, WITH A THREE IN OVERTIME RIGHT IN RAJAS FACE.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4w4vmUjNBFU&feature=related

i'm a noob dont know how to imbed, sorry.

Living in D.C. i've been watching this guy develop over the years, he's amazing.

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I'd bundle 3 players for Arenas -- Parker, Manu, and Finley.

Arenas is WAY better than what we have right now. That guy can score 30 in his sleep. Our guys can only score 30 if they play their very best.

Death In June
05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Gilbert can opt out of his contract. Why do we need to give anyone up? There should be enough room after horry, finely, and barry retire. We need someone to pick up the slack when the scoring drought sets in (this has been a problem for the last several years now). Sign Artest also, and we'll be good.

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
No.

1) The Spurs don't have ANY capspace.
2) Arenas will not take the MLE
3) Washington will not trade him for Barry+Horry+Splitter+case of Lone Star
4) I wouldn't trade Parker for Arenas straight up, and I wouldn't trade Manu for him either.

Rob123
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
he can win games single handedly, and he's got speed.

Even with finley, vaughn, horry, barry, getting dumped, we couldnt afford him?

ducks
05-28-2008, 02:53 PM
No

you would have to do a sign and trade

ducks
05-28-2008, 02:53 PM

he lost games single handedly to
he thinks he is all that

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM
LOL People think Parker's a ball hog. I can't imagine what would happen if a guy like Arenas was on the team, who only shoots 41% from the floor and chucks in volume.

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM

The Spurs have $53 million tied up next season in the contracts of Tim ($20.6M), Tony ($11.6M), Manu ($9.9M), Bruce ($4M), Bonner ($3M), Vaughn ($1.26M), Barry ($1.26M), Udoka($1.1M), and Mahinmi ($1M). The salary cap is around $56M this season. Therefore, the Spurs will be left with the MLE (maybe $5.5M) to spend, which will likely be split between either Splitter or Thomas and a vet willing to take a paycut to play on a contender.

td4mvp21
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Arenas is a cancer. No thanks. We don't need to get rid of the Big Three + Bowen. We just need better, more consistent role players that are younger.

21GoSpursGo9
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
The Spurs have $53 million tied up next season in the contracts of Tim ($20.6M), Tony ($11.6M), Manu ($9.9M), Bruce ($4M), Bonner ($3M), Vaughn ($1.26M), Barry ($1.26M), Udoka($1.1M), and Mahinmi ($1M). The salary cap is around $56M this season. Therefore, the Spurs will be left with the MLE (maybe $5.5M) to spend, which will likely be split between either Splitter or Thomas and a vet willing to take a paycut to play on a contender.

Ummm isnt Splitter a first round pick? That wont be MLE money spent on him. We dont have to use our mle to resign Thomas either.

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Why are you guys so hot after Gilbert Arenas? Makes me think that you don't watch basketball.

This is a bad idea for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is his enormous salary - which presumed will be in the Tim Duncan range. Didn't we see this movie before with the Spurs senseless pursuit of Jason Kidd? Why did Tim Duncan leave $$$ on the table? So the Spurs would have salary cap flexibility to be able to go out and sign complimentary players that could support them contending for a title in the years to come. He didn't make that sacrifice so the FO to go out and waste it on one player.

Second, are you willing to part with Tony Parker and Manu to make this happen? Because that is what it will take to make this happen. It's naive of any of you to think that you can trade "trash" for "acceptable goods". Face up to the fact that no team wants old, injury-prone, players. Also, Arenas isn't a point guard. So if you give up TP, who will take his place?

Third, how about on-court chemistry? Granted, Arenas is a talented player, but he aint a franchise player. He's always struck me as an unconscious gunner who is more concerned about getting his shot and points, rather than trying to fit in. Are you willing to sacrifice the team concept to support the selfish, on-court wishes of a ball-hog?

So if you're willing to accommodate these reasons, OK. If not, let's move on to something else.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Arenas? HAHAHAHAHAAHA he's a great player man but he's damaged goods.

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Ummm isnt Splitter a first round pick? That wont be MLE money spent on him. We dont have to use our mle to resign Thomas either.

You're right about Splitter and Thomas. Make that $54 million with Splitter on board, and we do have Thomas' Bird Rights since he's played 3+ years on his current contract.

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Damn, that means the Spurs should have at least $16 million wiggle room under the luxury tax, with Full Bird Rights on Thomas, Horry, and Finley to use in trade (of course, the team would certainly have to take bad a bad contract to get anything of worth in a potential deal involving any of the three).

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I guarantee you Arenas makes those jumpers that Parker was missing last night. And he's stronger and a more explosive scorer than Parker. Parker's good, but he's not Arenas.

I'd give Wash. both Tony & Manu for Arenas. and I'd be willing to deal either Tony or Manu for any of the Lakers guards. Shoot, I'd give Tony or Manu up for any of New Orleans' guards.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I guarantee you Arenas makes those jumpers that Parker was missing last night. And he's stronger and a more explosive scorer than Parker. Parker's good, but he's not Arenas.

I'd give Wash. both Tony & Manu for Arenas. and I'd be willing to deal either Tony or Manu for any of the Lakers guards. Shoot, I'd give Tony or Manu up for any of New Orleans' guards.

Under any other circumstances I would say yes but Arenas is damaged goods. If you are a real Spurs fan you can't seriously consider this idea. Or you know shit that's all.

Rob123
05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I dont get the arenas haters out there.

Has he lost games for his team?

Yes

Has Manu lost games for his team

HELL YES

Arenas scores day in and day out consistently, on an average team. Imagine how he'd do surrounded by duncan and bowen?

When he's healthy he's always been top 5 in scoring the leauge. Manu puts up good numbers ever 5th game. WE DONT NEED THAT
We need consistency. Plus since his injury he's worked on his passing and it's unbelievable i've seen it first hand.

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, I did not consider the fact that Arenas had major surgery on his knee, and didn't look good at all in the playoffs.

Provided he recovers, he'd be a huge upgrade over either Tony or Manu. He's a better shooter, harder to defend, and more consistent than either. And you put him in Pop's system and I guarantee he'd play some D. And he'd get more open looks with a legit big man.

I'd give away just about everyone on this roster, though, for a player at the same position on the Hornets or Lakers.

BlackSwordsMan
05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Fuck it get Artest too

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
There's not a player outside of Timmy who I wouldn't give away for somebody on Washington's, NO's, or LA's roster. Shoot, I'd take one Clipper for 2 Spurs.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 03:53 PM
LMAO

Arenas is a ballhog with a capital B. No way in hell.

think b4 u post

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, I did not consider the fact that Arenas had major surgery on his knee, and didn't look good at all in the playoffs.

Provided he recovers, he'd be a huge upgrade over either Tony or Manu. He's a better shooter, harder to defend, and more consistent than either. And you put him in Pop's system and I guarantee he'd play some D. And he'd get more open looks with a legit big man.

I'd give away just about everyone on this roster, though, for a player at the same position on the Hornets or Lakers.

How is he a better shooter than Manu or Tony? He's a volume shooter. He shoots about 41% for his career. If Manu or Tony shot as much as Arenas, they'd lead the league in scoring.

Rob123
05-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Think before i post?

I live in D.C. I've seen him ball hog before.

After his injury he said he's worked on his passing.

Was skeptical at first. His first game back I was there against the bucs, he had 8 assists in 21 minutes.

Yeah a real ball hog he is these days. Have you seen him play recently? His shooting is off since the surgery but his passing is amazing.

Put him in a good system with a big man, timmy, and he'll thrive.

Plus even if he did stop the ball we'd end up with 30 points a night from him.
Who else gives us that consistent production outside of timmy?

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't see how getting a legit star like Arenas (or Gordon) would be any worse than what we've got right now. His knee injury is a concern, though.

But we have too many aging, injured, inconsistent players. Time to get real players (like the Lakers have!) around Tim, and if we have to shed Tony, Manu, or Bruce, sobeit.

BlackSwordsMan
05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
LMAO

Arenas is a ballhog with a capital B. No way in hell.

think b4 u post

A ballhog aint bad if they can make it. Couple of Spurs possession they are passing the ball around like it's a live grenade.

BlackSwordsMan
05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
A two guard before a point guard thanks.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
After his injury he said he's worked on his passing.

Was skeptical at first. His first game back I was there against the bucs, he had 8 assists in 21 minutes.

Yeah a real ball hog he is these days. Have you seen him play recently?

you mean the shitty playoff minutes before he got shut down? everything was off.

Put him in a good system with a big man, timmy, and he'll thrive.

Plus even if he did stop the ball we'd end up with 30 points a night from him.
Who else gives us that consistent production outside of timmy?

I almost agree a direct swap of Tony and Arenas might be something to consider. But Manu + Tony? no way.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I almost agree a direct swap of Tony and Arenas might be something to consider. But Manu + Tony? no way.

:lol

Even a direct swap for Tony is crazy.

Tony averages more assists and shoots about NINE percent higher from the field. Gilbert Arenas shoots more often, and averages more turnovers. Where's the benefit?

SnakeBoy
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Tim, Manu, and Tony are not going anywhere. It's stupid to even want to break them up. The core of the defending world champs still playing in the WCF's, breaking them up would be idiotic.

Everyone is inconsistent when they are banged up & worn out and don't have any role players to make there life any easier. We have a great core for the next 2-3 years just need good role players who aren't one year past the year they should have retired.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM

Even a direct swap for Tony is crazy.

Tony averages more assists and shoots about NINE percent higher from the field. Gilbert Arenas shoots more often, and averages more turnovers. Where's the benefit?

"almost"

but maybe desperate times call for desperate measures. Arenas would be able to score on those droughts we always go on.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
"almost"

but maybe desperate times call for desperate measures. Arenas would be able to score on those droughts we always go on.

Getting to the WCF is a desperate time?

You all are nuts. :lol

Anyone can be a chucker, if that's what you want you can probably get a guy for a couple million bucks that can shoot 40% from the floor. You don't need to trade your All-Stars away for him.

Spurminator
05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I can't think of any scenario where we would be desperate enough to downgrade PGs and pay more to do it.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I can't think of any scenario where we would be desperate enough to downgrade PGs and pay more to do it.

WCF ... desperate times, you know. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I, for one, like to look at realistic scenarios for the offseason.
Yeah, this ain't one of them.

timvp
05-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Got damn Spurs fans can be dumb. I wouldn't trade Ginobili or Parker for two Arenaseses.

-Arenas is broken. A non healing knee even after microfracture means there's a pretty decent chance he'll never regain his old explosion.

-He's as selfish as players can be. He'd mesh with Pop about as well as oil mixes with water.

-The Wizards were actually better without him this year.

-He's one of the biggest chuckers alive.

-He doesn't play defense.

Seriously, what aspect of his game does he do well enough. If you want someone to shoot a low percentage but average a lot of points, just tell Ginobili or Parker to become a consciousless chucker ... problem solved.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
If you want someone to shoot a low percentage but average a lot of points, just tell Ginobili or Parker to become a consciousless chucker ... problem solved.

LOL I was going to say the same thing. Just tell Manu to chuck it 20-25 times a game. He'll get his 30 ppg too.

ambchang
05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Why would anyone want Areans? The guy would be great in a playground game though.

rascal
05-28-2008, 05:39 PM
LOL People think Parker's a ball hog. I can't imagine what would happen if a guy like Arenas was on the team, who only shoots 41% from the floor and chucks in volume.
His shooting % should improve with fewer shots on the spurs. What % did Manu shoot?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
People take for granted unselfish players like Manu,

we get Gilbert Arenas and he's going to be taking 30 + shots on bad nights when he should be passing, just to meet his 22-25 PPG average.

It can be argued with Manu in our current system, he's inconsistent because he doesn't force his offensive game because he doesn't need to. He has had his most consistent season this year because Tim and Tony got injured and he had to take the scoring load. Rather than take 25 shots just to make 25 points a la the Kobes, Lebrons, on human off scoring nights, Manu will shoot below 10 shots.

Arenas would take away from the "ball sharing" and especially from Tim and Tony's touches.

He's too undersized to be a scorer on one end, we'd be giving up points on the other end by playing a Tony-Arenas backcourt :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2008, 05:56 PM
http://hoopshype.com/players/stephen_jackson.jpg

Bring Buckets home.

temujin
05-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't see how getting a legit star like Arenas (or Gordon) would be any worse than what we've got right now. His knee injury is a concern, though.

But we have too many aging, injured, inconsistent players. Time to get real players (like the Lakers have!) around Tim, and if we have to shed Tony, Manu, or Bruce, sobeit.

Are you Isaih Thomas or the Knicks' owner yourself?

SPARKY
05-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Why the fuck would the Spurs need that chucker?

Emeyin
05-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Bring Buckets home.

Now that I AGREE with!! :wow

The wayward son needs to come home. Looks like it's almost time for me to pop in my Spurs 2003 Championship DVD.

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM
As long as we have the core of Timmy, Manu, Bruce, and Tony....the front office can do as much shuffling as possible in attempt to surround us with more reliable offense.

m33p0
05-28-2008, 06:36 PM

he can lose a series single-handedly too.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Is Arenas such an asshole and so uncoachable that he'd play the same game in SA? Surrounded by professionals and a track record of winning?

Juanobili
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Arenas? lol

no thanks

Juanobili
05-28-2008, 07:10 PM

Bring Buckets home.

haha I'd like to see that

crazylakerfan001
05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
we say go for it. we jus be in the back laughing at your ass

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 07:14 PM
we say go for it. we jus be in the back laughing at your ass

We have laughed at yours for a couple years now!

crazylakerfan001
05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
We have laughed at yours for a couple years now!

r u laughing now

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
r u laughing now

Nope, I am quite and pissed but we'll be fine! I believe Spurs are not happy how they lost so I expect the best from our team!
:flag:

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Is Arenas such a jerk and so uncoachable that he'd play the same game in SA? Surrounded by professionals and a track record of winning?

No way. He'd fit in great.

And like I said, the reason the Spurs lost this series is because they don't have enough young, talented players. Our entire team USED to be young and talented. But those days are over. And if we're going to keep up with the Lakers, who have taller, stronger, better shooting, more athletic players at every position, we'll need to get rid of most, if not all of our current roster. Tim excepted.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I guess by the logic of the anti-GA forces in this thread, Randy Moss sucked balls last year with the Patriots.

Radiosparks
05-28-2008, 08:44 PM

This guy was out partying in D.C. when he should have been rehabbing. No thanks!

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, if that's true, then I guess he wouldn't be such a good Spur. But we definitely need a major roster overhaul. Only Duncan is untouchable.

aka_USAPA
05-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Gilbert can opt out of his contract. Why do we need to give anyone up? There should be enough room after horry, finely, and barry retire. We need someone to pick up the slack when the scoring drought sets in (this has been a problem for the last several years now). Sign Artest also, and we'll be good.

How do you get Arenas if he opts out?

SRJ
05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, if that's true, then I guess he wouldn't be such a good Spur. But we definitely need a major roster overhaul. Only Duncan is untouchable.

What makes Tony so touchable? He's young and still playing well.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
This guy was out partying in D.C. when he should have been rehabbing.

Obviously. After all, he did make it back just in time for the end of the regular season. After knee surgery, everyone else is back after like three days. :rolleyes

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm not wanting to get rid of Tony so much as trying to make the entire roster better. I'd be willing to move every Spur if we could get real players (see: Laker roster) in return.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I'd be willing to move every Spur if we could get real players (see: Laker roster) in return.

Overreaction forum.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm not wanting to get rid of Tony so much as trying to make the entire roster better. I'd be willing to move every Spur if we could get real players (see: Laker roster) in return.

I'll assume you are kidding or drunk. Who would you want off the Lakers roster for Manu/Tony besides Kobe or Bynum? Adding Arenas in place of Tony (or Tony and Manu as you propose) doesn't improve the roster. Arenas turns the ball more, averages less assists, and shoots a MUCH lower percentage than Tony/Manu.

aka_USAPA
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I still don't get how the Spurs are getting Arenas if he opts out of his contract.

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I still don't get how the Spurs are getting Arenas if he opts out of his contract.

WE ARE NOT!
:bang

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Arenas turns the ball more, averages less assists, and shoots a MUCH lower percentage than Tony/Manu.

But Kori - do you assume he'd be the same player here that he was in DC? Don't you think the atmosphere and system in SA would tighten him up? After all, his big man in DC was Brendan Haywood - now it would be Tim Duncan. There would be a lot more open shots here for him.

I don't know that I'm sold on Arenas, but his talent is worth at least a little trouble.

Sigz
05-28-2008, 09:04 PM
This thread sucks.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 09:05 PM
But Kori - do you assume he'd be the same player here that he was in DC? Don't you think the atmosphere and system in SA would tighten him up? After all, his big man in DC was Brendan Haywood - now it would be Tim Duncan. There would be a lot more open shots here for him.

I don't know that I'm sold on Arenas, but his talent is worth at least a little trouble.

:lol But why would the risk of him maybe being a different player here be worth losing Tony or Manu when you already getting better than that from Tony and Manu already?

That doesn't make any sense.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:12 PM
But why would the risk of him maybe being a different player here be worth losing Tony or Manu when you already getting better than that from Tony and Manu already?

That doesn't make any sense.

Neither does standing pat watching the roster gain nothing but gray hair. While Tim still has some championship years left in him, the FO needs to do something to maximize those years.

Picking up older guys was OK when Tim and Manu were on one side of the chronological equator. They're on the other side now.

Strike
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM

How many players like Gilby the Chucker have changed their game after changing teams?

dg7md
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Parker, Arenas, Duncan = multiple championships

Nobody can argue this...

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Neither does standing pat watching the roster gain nothing but gray hair. While Tim still has some championship years left in him, the FO needs to do something to maximize those years.

Picking up older guys was OK when Tim and Manu were on one side of the chronological equator. They're on the other side now.

So trading Tony for Arenas does what? Does it give you a young swingman? a young big? a young long 3?

No, it just gives a chucking point guard.

If you are asking me if they should trade Barry & Finley for Arenas, then sure :lol or if Arenas is signing here on a 3 year/$10M deal. But he's not. He wants $10+ million a year.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
How many players like Gilby the Chucker have changed their game after changing teams?

Ron Harper used to be known as a glitzy scoring guy in his years. After injuries and playoff exits humbled him, he played a role for four championship teams.

Glen Rice never met a shot he didn't like, and he was option #3 on a Shaq and Kobe championship team.

Danny Ainge was a chucking fool and he played in the Finals lots of times. Won two championships.

Crazy old Vernon Maxwell averaged 38 minutes a night in the 1994 Rockets playoff run.

If you focus on what players can't do, you'll blind yourself to the things that they can do.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2008, 09:22 PM

He didn't fit in with Team USA, and he was like the sixth best player on the team. He's a me-first type, always will be until he's old and over the hill. Then he might be ready for a Finley type role.

Until then, no thanks. Not to mention he ain't coming to SA for the amount of salary cap dollars we have free this summer.

And I'm still trying to figure out how a guy who shoots worse than Tony, averages less assists per game, and is struggling with recovery from microfracture surgery is supposed to be better than Parker. Talk about a huge reach, is your name Gumby?

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:25 PM
If you are asking me if they should trade Barry & Finley for Arenas, then sure

I wish I was a capologist. I'd like to run the numbers to see if any plausible scenario could work to bring in some kind of good younger player. Some risks have got to be taken.

The tragedy is that if we just keep bringing in more of the well over thirty crowd, we're pretty much stopping Duncan's legacy at four.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
And I'm still trying to figure out how a guy who shoots worse than Tony, averages less assists per game, and is struggling with recovery from microfracture surgery is supposed to be better than Parker.

Going from Brendan Haywood to Tim Duncan will help any players FG%. And I wouldn't want Arenas at Parker's expense - I would package Manu for him if I would pull the trigger on such a deal.

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll assume you are kidding or drunk. Who would you want off the Lakers roster for Manu/Tony besides Kobe or Bynum? Adding Arenas in place of Tony (or Tony and Manu as you propose) doesn't improve the roster. Arenas turns the ball more, averages less assists, and shoots a MUCH lower percentage than Tony/Manu.

I'd take anyone off the Lakers roster (except Mihm or Mbenga) for anyone on ours at the same position, except for Tim.

While Tony is very very good, their PGs are better. Fisher can at least be relied upon to make a jumper. And Vujacic is making Manu look like trash.

Their SGs are better. I'd give them Finley or Manu for Kobe anyday. (This one is obvious).

Their forwards are waaay better. Bowen, Barry, Bonner, Horry vs. Radmonovich (long, can shoot and MAKE them), Odom (multitalented), Gasol (multitalented, and an All-Star), and Bynum.

Their roster is so much better than ours I can't see how we can even argue this. And it sucks, because I love the Spurs and hate the Lakers and 90% of their fans. But it's the truth. The good people of L.A. better get ready for riots the next few Junes, because a new dynasty is coming.

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd take anyone off the Lakers roster (except Mihm or Mbenga) for anyone on ours at the same position, except for Tim.

While Tony is very very good, their PGs are better. Fisher can at least be relied upon to make a jumper. And Vujacic is making Manu look like trash.

Their SGs are better. I'd give them Finley or Manu for Kobe anyday. (This one is obvious).

Their forwards are waaay better. Bowen, Barry, Bonner, Horry vs. Radmonovich (long, can shoot and MAKE them), Odom (multitalented), Gasol (multitalented, and an All-Star), and Bynum.

Their roster is so much better than ours I can't see how we can even argue this. And it sucks, because I love the Spurs and hate the Lakers and 90% of their fans. But it's the truth. The good people of L.A. better get ready for riots the next few Junes, because a new dynasty is coming.

Then, become a Laker fan and you will have all that you wished for!
:hat

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Why on earth would you ever want Gilbert Arenas?

1.) Ball hog.......check
2.) Streaky shooter.......check
3.) Average decision maker........check
4.) Health issues............check
5.) Ego.............check

PlayoffEx-static
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Why on earth would you ever want Gilbert Arenas?

1.) Ball hog.......check
2.) Streaky shooter.......check
3.) Average decision maker........check
4.) Health issues............check
5.) Ego.............check

+1 No raving ego, shameless chucker, non-recovering from microfracture surgery, knucklehead, undersized SGs need apply.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM

:lmao

You need to hang it up as a Spurs fan. You actually think that Derek Fisher > Tony Parker and that Vujacic > Manu????

OMG. Pass whatever you are smokin'.

PlayoffEx-static
05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Derek Fisher is less mobile than Michael the statue Finley. Fish couldn't cross over my grandmother, and she's dead. Just like teams back off Tony, they crowd Fish because they know he doesn't have much of a handle.

lrrr
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Ron Harper used to be known as a glitzy scoring guy in his years. After injuries and playoff exits humbled him, he played a role for four championship teams.

Glen Rice never met a shot he didn't like, and he was option #3 on a Shaq and Kobe championship team.

Danny Ainge was a chucking fool and he played in the Finals lots of times. Won two championships.

Crazy old Vernon Maxwell averaged 38 minutes a night in the 1994 Rockets playoff run.

If you focus on what players can't do, you'll blind yourself to the things that they can do.

Sure, if he would come to SA for 4 mill a year, I'm sure Pop would have him on the team.

senorglory
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Why are you guys so hot after Gilbert Arenas? Makes me think that you don't watch basketball.

Makes me think they don't at least watch the Spurs.

still.focused
05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=4721&dateline=1212016803
Ima holla at the front office and see if they can surround me wit the likes of her.
Feel me?

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 10:52 PM

You need to hang it up as a Spurs fan. You actually think that Derek Fisher > Tony Parker and that Vujacic > Manu????

OMG. Pass whatever you are smokin'.

Yes, yes I do. And so does Sancho. I've watched this series, like you have, and I see our PGs getting owned. In contrast to our guys, Derek Fisher is a rabbit's foot in the playoffs. I remember that 15-20 on 3's he put on us in 01. I remember 0.4. And I remember the no-foul last night. That dude's $$ in the clutch, has a much better J, and is stronger and more physical than Parker. Not that Parker sucks, he's great. But you put a body on Parker, and the whole team is toast. So I'd take Fish over Parker.

And I see Manu getting owned as well. Maybe this doesn't happen in 03 or 07. But it's happening now. In contrast to Manu, the Lakers can count on Vujacic to (a) not get injured, (b) make a basket once in a while, and (c) not be a turnover machine. So, yes, Vujacic over Manu.

And the bigs ... whew!

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 11:23 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=4721&dateline=1212016803
Ima holla at the front office and see if they can surround me wit the likes of her.
Feel me?

:toast

If we replaced the entire roster with this face, Kori, RashoFan, and AngelLuv, we might not win any games, but we'd have the best looking roster in the league.

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Then, become a Laker fan and you will have all that you wished for!
:hat

Sancho says no way! Become a Laker fan?? I don't think 6 months worth of hot scalding showers would remove that odor.

My point is, they are much better than we are. When they turn it on, that's ballgame. When we turn it on, we have a chance to hang in there.

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Sancho says no way! Become a Laker fan?? I don't think 6 months worth of hot scalding showers would remove that odor.

My point is, they are much better than we are. When they turn it on, that's ballgame. When we turn it on, we have a chance to hang in there.

Well, let's just wait until tomorrow and see what happens from there.
But please BELIEVE.
:flag:

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Yes, yes I do. And so does Sancho. I've watched this series, like you have, and I see our PGs getting owned. In contrast to our guys, Derek Fisher is a rabbit's foot in the playoffs. I remember that 15-20 on 3's he put on us in 01. I remember 0.4. And I remember the no-foul last night. That dude's $$ in the clutch, has a much better J, and is stronger and more physical than Parker. Not that Parker sucks, he's great. But you put a body on Parker, and the whole team is toast. So I'd take Fish over Parker.

In this series, Parker is averaging 19 and 6 and Fisher is averaging 6.5 and 1.

Whatever floats your boat man.

Don Quixote
05-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Alright. I'm too tired to argue anymore. I love the Spurs ...

But they are a demanding mistress and are giving me a migraine!

Prove me wrong, Spurs!

Man of Steel
05-29-2008, 12:58 AM
People who advocate giving up Manu or Parker are either high, drunk, or just plain ignorant.

Maybe Manu isn't having the best series. Whether he wants to admit it or not--the guy is hurt.

Get over it.

rascal
05-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Going from Brendan Haywood to Tim Duncan will help any players FG%. And I wouldn't want Arenas at Parker's expense - I would package Manu for him if I would pull the trigger on such a deal.

I agree. Arenas will not have to take so many shots with the spurs. He is needed as the main scorer on Wash. Having Duncan will improve his shooting %. His % can rise to what Manu shoots.

ambchang
05-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey Manu and Tony, it doesn't matter you helped the Spurs win 3 titles, not to mention being vital in two of them. What have you done for us lately? Huh?

It doesn't matter you are averaging 19 and 6 Tony, if the Spurs are on the brink of elimination, it just proves that Fisher, who is like the 5th option on the Lakers, is better than you.

Sexy Stud 28
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Fuck it get Artest too

Im leaning towrds Artest but it wouldnt hurt us to have Arenas either. I wouldnt trade any of the big 4!!! Arenas is very arrogant and he may clash with the team chem. Artest hmm i would just hope HE STAYS OUT OF TROUBLE but i woud love to take the chances with either of them I love my spurs and Manu but Arenas is moe consistant.

(please excuse my grammar and spelling and punctuation)

GO SPURS GO!!!

P.S THE FOUL ON BARRY NEEDS TO BE RE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT SEE HOW ANY 1 IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SAYS THAT IS NO FOUL!!!!

BacktoBasics
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Is there a thread in the Spurs forum discussing next season with a more realistic approach. This thread is filled some of the worst thought processes know to man.

MateoNeygro
05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I'd bundle 3 players for Arenas -- Parker, Manu, and Finley.

Arenas is WAY better than what we have right now. That guy can score 30 in his sleep. Our guys can only score 30 if they play their very best.

ARE YOU STUPID?? MANU AND PARKER?? yah you are, and u call yourself a spurs fan first off: Arenas needs like 30 shots a game, second: he's always hurt, third: he doesn't play d, fourth: he's playing against mainly east teams
what a ridiculous thing to say

Don Quixote
05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
I stand by my basic premise. This roster can no longer compete against the other elite teams in the league. The sooner the FO realizes this, the better it will be for everyone.

And if it takes losing Manu or Tony, then oh well. I'd rather keep them, personally, out of loyalty. But Manu should not be considered a front-line player. Maybe a 9th or 10th man who can light it up once in a while. We need a real SG, a real rebounding big man to help Tim, and more shooters. We need alot fewer old guys.

We need guys who are taller, stronger, better shooters, and younger. Like what the Lakers have.