PDA

View Full Version : Playoff schedules need re-working?

Typical London Boy
05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
This may seem slightly reactionary after last night's defeat, but I did have the same views before the game started. Basically, I feel that the playoffs are far too rushed. As we all know, the Spurs-Lakers series is staggered at two-day intervals all the way along; and the first game coming just 48 hours after the Hornets series likewise.

Once the finals have been played out - at the end of June - there's then a full four months until the next season starts. Four months! Surely it would be in the NBA's best interests to stagger these games right now slightly more favourably. Even if there was a three day turnaround it would be better for the game.

The NBA is being shown to a worldwide audience (well, except here in the UK), and you'd think that the execs would want to show the best product available. Something that clearly can't happen when players are carrying injuries - not to mention fatigue - and have no time to recover. I'm pretty sure that fans feel they want, and deserve, to see their healthiest team compete against their opponents' healthiest team.

So why the rush? Is it essential to have that four month break? Would three-and-a-half be so much of a problem? Thoughts please!

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I like the games every other day. That's plenty of rest between games. What I don't like is all the time between games in the first two rounds. It takes all the excitement out of early round series, especially without the 5-game first rounds.

xtremesteven33
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I think u bring a very good point. i dont mind the one day rests inbetween home games, but when you have to fly to another city i think here should be at least 2 days rest inbetween games. maybe even 3.

and no Laker fans, these are not excuses, so please dont post "winey spurs". this is just a good topic discussion

Spurminator
05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
No way. The NBA Playoffs are way too long. Look, if playing every other day is too much for a team to handle then that's points against their credibility as a Championship contender. This is an athletic competition and everyone else has to make it through four Playoff rounds to be the Champion.

jman3000
05-28-2008, 04:34 PM
i remember during the 2006 series against the mavs there was a 5 day layoff or something to that affect.

ill take the day off-game-day off- game schedule over that bullshit.

jokyfo
05-28-2008, 04:36 PM
The San Anphonio Sterns never had a dynasty. They have never won even 2 in a row.

You have to at least repeat as champs and defend your title sucessfully to even be considered to have a dynasty.

NO DYNASTY!

Typical London Boy
05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
No way. The NBA Playoffs are way too long. Look, if playing every other day is too much for a team to handle then that's points against their credibility as a Championship contender. This is an athletic competition and everyone else has to make it through four Playoff rounds to be the Champion.

I hear what you're saying, but even athletes can't avoid the inevitable travel fatigue - especially when they have to sleep on planes. The playoffs should be a test of quality rather than a test of endurance, and I don't feel that this is the case right now.

I just believe that when the regular season is played over six months, it seems odd to then suddenly rush the important games at the end of it all. My suggestion would at least be a two-day break between home games, and then a three-day break before the location change.

jag
05-28-2008, 04:54 PM
There shouldn't be exceptions made because we have an old ass team. We haven't had too many problems with this format the past 10 years...

jokyfo
05-28-2008, 04:56 PM
The San Anphonio Sterns never had a dynasty. They have never won even 2 in a row.

You have to at least repeat as champs and defend your title sucessfully to even be considered to have a dynasty.

NO DYNASTY!

Ghazi
05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
you are a loser, you do realize this right?

CP3
05-28-2008, 05:01 PM
The games should be every other day. That is how it should be. Back in the 90's, teams played on back-to-back nights a lot.

lefty
05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I just hate games scheduled on a sunny Sunday afternoon

SpursFan0728
05-28-2008, 05:09 PM
A game every other day is acceptable

BUT

after finishing a 7game series and playing in an away within the next 48 hours is unacceptable

sedale threatt
05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
i agree. that's why you should wrap it up in five or six.

temujin
05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
The point here is different.

It's playing for 6 months and 82 largely irrelevant games, to eliminate 14 of the 30 teams from the real competition, now that should be cut.
Playoffs can go as long as it takes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
It should be a 62-game season (play each team twice) then a best of 5 format until the Conference Finals, in which it reverts to best of 7.

ktmrider
05-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Or the NBA can have two playoffs....one for younger teams and the other for older teams.....

excuses...excuses....
there's no reason to change it just because your team is older....what a joke

A game every other day is acceptable

BUT

after finishing a 7game series and playing in an away within the next 48 hours is unacceptable

mrspurs
05-28-2008, 06:51 PM
this is why they have the long season....blowing games teaching mighty mouse and kurt thomas killed our chances of home court advantage, something that this season contrary to what pop said was very important....and we were only 1 game behind LA this season....thats what we live with....i remember the days bass made horrible season moves that killed us in the playoffs.........spurs to the death...go spurs go

urunobili
05-28-2008, 06:56 PM
:whine

adidas11
05-28-2008, 07:04 PM
No, the playoffs should be a every-other-day type of format. It rewards teams for making the right roster moves to incorporate good depth in their squad, and it encourages teams to try and finish off an opponent before the next round. Which means that it makes the regular season more worthy, fighting for home court advantage.

The first round is a little different, because the scheduled is staggered and stretched to make sure that there are games on every night, and that there aren't games running concurrently at the same time.

Juanobili
05-28-2008, 07:16 PM

NO DYNASTY!

How'd being a dynasty or not get brought up?

lol loser

41times
05-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I absolutely hate the playoff schedule.

It is 100% according to the TV TNT schedule. 40 games in 40 nights is a fine advertisement but it does not translate to the real world.

You have games that are too spread out for the first round but then too condensed for the later rounds.

It is all about the Television scheduled, that's all it is. I hate it.

aka_USAPA
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
This may seem slightly reactionary after last night's defeat, but I did have the same views before the game started. Basically, I feel that the playoffs are far too rushed. As we all know, the Spurs-Lakers series is staggered at two-day intervals all the way along; and the first game coming just 48 hours after the Hornets series likewise.

Once the finals have been played out - at the end of June - there's then a full four months until the next season starts. Four months! Surely it would be in the NBA's best interests to stagger these games right now slightly more favourably. Even if there was a three day turnaround it would be better for the game.

The NBA is being shown to a worldwide audience (well, except here in the UK), and you'd think that the execs would want to show the best product available. Something that clearly can't happen when players are carrying injuries - not to mention fatigue - and have no time to recover. I'm pretty sure that fans feel they want, and deserve, to see their healthiest team compete against their opponents' healthiest team.

So why the rush? Is it essential to have that four month break? Would three-and-a-half be so much of a problem? Thoughts please!

Funny. The schedule has been like that for a while. Now that the Spurs are old and their legs can't handle it anymore, they want the schedule changed? How come nobody cried about it when the Spurs were winning?