PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter Close to Signing Two-Year Extension with Tau

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

timvp
05-28-2008, 08:55 PM
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

When it rains . . .

Tiago Splitter re-signs with Tau

Tiago Splitter, center of the Brazilian national team, re-signed with Tau for two more years.

The player, who was being courted by the San Antonio Spurs, preferred to accept the contract from the Spanish team, which will pay him eight times more money.

The Brazilian has been under contract with Tau since 2000.

http://espnbrasil.terra.com.br/blog/blog.aspx?idBlog=14

F Splitter. He knew that he'd have to take less money to come to the Spurs. If he wasn't prepared to make that sacrifice, he shouldn't have promised the Spurs last summer that he'd make the jump to the NBA for the 2008-09 season. The Spurs wouldn't have wasted a first round pick on his azz.

It sucks because if he would have signed with the Spurs this summer, there was a good chance he could win the starting center job for the Spurs next season.

Splitter's chances of ever coming to the NBA have now plummeted.

P.S.

Props to Spurs Brazil and Bruno for breaking the news in the Splitter thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95609).

Man of Steel
05-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Too bad--I was worried about this.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Scola redux...

Harry Callahan
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Pretty much a CS situation. Lost out to a freaking TILE company in Spain. Great.

The bottom of this roster is rotting and mistakes like this are being made. If Splitter made some kind of assurances to SA he was coming over (and I don't know if he did) then he is a sorry SOB.

Save the Euro picks for the second round next time.

Sigz
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Fucking piece of shit.

mystargtr34
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Awesome... looks like its gonna be us getting abused by opposing Power Forwards and Centers all through next season also

Watching Oberto shit him self and throw up a lay up that hits the underside of the rim... watch Kurt Thomas brick jumpers.

Wow... this hurts more than yesterdays loss

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Fuck Splitter. I don't think you will be that stupid. When you want to follow your dream you need to sacrifice some things, like Manu did in 2002.

I hope the Spurs trade Splitter.

Even Varejão made that sacrifice when he come to the NBA.

DAMN Splitter and Fuck Tau

Sway
05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
That Blows!

Sigz
05-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Fucking could have been our starting center next year.... Fuckk.

bigfundamental21
05-28-2008, 09:05 PM
:bang

That's the risk we take when we draft these foreign guys. :rolleyes We lucked out with Manu and Tony. Splitter will be kicking himself later when he realizes what he is giving up. Money can't compare to the experience of playing with and against the world's greatest players.

hsxvvd
The big losers are all the Euro's in this upcoming draft. Who in their right mind would ever draft a euro again in the 1st round.

Oh, yeah, probably the Spurs.

SpursFan0728
worse news of the year

duncan228
05-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Well, that didn't help my mood. :bang

Kori Ellis
05-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I never thought the Spurs would sign both Splitter and Mahinmi next year. So I wasn't expecting him to be here. Oh well.

timvp
05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Here is a video of what we can't expect next year . . .

HDPljS7vVtE

Admidave50
05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
F you Tiago!

All these Euros from South America are just piece of shit!

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh well, more PT for Ian (hopefully).

milkyway21
05-28-2008, 09:11 PM

When it rains . . .

F Splitter. He knew that he'd have to take less money to come to the Spurs. If he wasn't prepared to make that sacrifice, he shouldn't have promised the Spurs last summer that he'd make the jump to the NBA for the 2008-09 season. The Spurs wouldn't have wasted a first round pick on his azz.

It sucks because if he would have signed with the Spurs this summer, there was a good chance he could win the starting center job for the Spurs next season.

P.S.

Props to Spurs Brazil and Bruno for breaking the news in the Splitter thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95609).

watching replays of that no-call Fisher foul on Brent Barry and hearing about this makes me :cry
He's doing good in the Euroleague. He's got potentials.

I just want a Spurs revamp next season. Get rid of those players who are not earning their paychecks.

Keep the big 3. Keep Bruce.
Add one all-star. A younger one.

Harry Callahan
05-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I never thought the Spurs would sign both Splitter and Mahinmi next year. So I wasn't expecting him to be here. Oh well.

Kori,
Do you think the 2 yr extension is still short enough that the Spurs won't burn bridges and still try to sign him as soon as possible?

I hate that a potentially helpful addition to the the team will not be here as Duncan, Ginobili,and Parker burn through two more seasons where they can still be very productive. By the time Splitter (potentially) gets here, the Big three won't be as good as they are today. Wasted opportunity.

Trainwreck2100
don't do like what they did with Scola and trade his rights, let him rot over there

Amuseddaysleeper
I can't wait to see him in a Rockets uniform two years from now.

Russ
A lousy week to be a Spurs fan (thus far).

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
ESPN Brazil Update

The same info that's in the blog, plus he has a no buyout clause after those 2 years.

He can come to the NBA for "free". I think it may help the Spurs if they want to trade him.

Sway
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM

HDPljS7vVtE

Wow...I didnt think this news could suck anymore.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
This thread needs whottt.

mystargtr34
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM

Ian Mahinmi will not contribute next year.

I dont get others around here who compare the two as of now.

Splitter is perhaps the best player in the second best league in the world... Hes polished and hes ready to go.

Mahinmi plays in a pretty pathetic league....hes basically a poor mans Amir Johnson... hes 2 years away minimum.

Theres no comparison... Splitter was our guy.

Were stuck with Oberto next year and probably another Elson type scrub... while the Blazers got Oden and Aldridge

Lakers got Bynum and Gasol

Hornets got Chandler and West

Suns have Shaq and Stoudemire

Heck the Jazz got Boozer and Okur

We have Duncan and....

http://z.about.com/d/sanantonio/1/7/W/D/-/-/celebration10.jpg

clubalien
05-28-2008, 09:15 PM
spurs kind of dezserve this after fucing around with luis scola...They should have signed him when they drafted him...

Just shows you how good we are at getting free agent we cannot even sign our own draft picks

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
One would hope that the Spurs didn't make the Scola deal in anticipation of Splitter joining the club this summer.

tav1
ESPN Brazil Update

The same info that's in the blog, plus he has a no buyout clause after those 2 years.

He can come to the NBA for "free". I think it may help the Spurs if they want to trade him.

Splitter and Bonner looks like a trade pairing then. I see a draft pick and cap relief in our future.

And it still f'n sucks!

Tyler_Durden
fuck

boutons_
05-28-2008, 09:18 PM
"make that sacrifice"

Anybody got an estimate the diff of a Spurs $contract vs Tau Euro-contract, over the next 2 years?

Spurs have really come up empty-handed with their foreign bigs, Javtokas, Scola, Splitter. Mahinmi up next? :lol

Burning draft picks on these guys isn't so front-office brilliant if they never suit up.

Harry Callahan
ESPN Brazil Update

Once again, what do the Spurs get of value in exchange for trading his rights? I don't get that. If this is a two year deal with no buyout in two years, then you try and sign him in two years. Simple as that. He has no value essentially until this contract is up.

Tyler_Durden
whats up with these draft mistakes. god damn RC. How about drafting some motherfuckers who will actually PLAY.

Russ
Perhaps the Spurs' Scola escapade has ruined what could have been a longterm pipeline to foreign talent.

If so, that's a shame because it could have been one of the few advantages the Spurs have over larger market teams.

I fear that, while the Spurs were once seen as a Mecca by foreign players, now not so much. :(

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
ESPN Brazil Update

IIRC Scola's buyout clause had something to do with him being a second rounder

Viva Las Espuelas
brasilians never cease to amaze me. i know a few and they are honestly some of the most laziest, gimmie-now people i have ever known. oh well.

timvp
Oh well, more PT for Ian (hopefully).

gBhTiwOfkzw

Yeah, hopefully Mahinmi can speed up his progress and be ready next season.

timvp
05-28-2008, 09:22 PM
ESPN Brazil Update

He can come to the NBA for "free". I think it may help the Spurs if they want to trade him.Thanks for the update. Does he have a buyout after one year or is he locked in for two?

Avitus1
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
That stupid shit.

MannyIsGod
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Its easy to make him out to be a devil but its a business and the European side of it looks a lot better financially for guys like Splitter at the moment. Its a business and the Spurs aren't doing anything but looking out for themselves so I can't blame this guy for doing the same.

Sway
05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Alright so I was wondering, are Splitter and Scola really friends? If so, does anyone think Scola's perceived mistreatment by the Spurs contributed to Splitter signing an extension?

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the update. Does he have a buyout after one year or is he locked in for two?

They didn't say anything about it.

But in other report Bruno posted, it said that after the 1st year he has a 500k buyout.

Do you think it maybe be a CIA move?

Maybe the Spurs don't want his next season and then they have a option to bring him in 2009 for a 500k buyout or in 2010 for free.

Too bad we will ever know. McDonald and Monroe will never know that.

timvp
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Its easy to make him out to be a devil but its a business and the European side of it looks a lot better financially for guys like Splitter at the moment. Its a business and the Spurs aren't doing anything but looking out for themselves so I can't blame this guy for doing the same.My problem with Splitter is he should have been honest last summer. Before and after being drafted, he said he was going to sign. He knew he'd have to take one-third to one-fifth less money to sign. If he didn't want that, clue the Spurs in last summer.

Now two-years from now, it's not unreasonable to think he'd have to take one-tenth as much money to join the Spurs ... which is why I think he'll never come now. Now one is going to sign a contract for one-tenth of their value.

timvp
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
They didn't say anything about it.

But in other report Bruno posted, it said that after the 1st year he has a 500k buyout.

Do you think it maybe be a CIA move?

Maybe the Spurs don't want his next season and then they have a option to bring him in 2009 for a 500k buyout or in 2010 for free.

Too bad we will ever know. McDonald and Monroe will never know that.I'm trying to think how it'd be a CIA move but I don't see it. It's too risky. Euro teams are getting richer while that first round money is staying the same. Getting him over ASAP was mandatory. Every month he stays in Spain, the bigger the gulf between his Euro contract and his NBA contract.

milkyway21
05-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Ian Mahinmi not seeing minutes and Scola after being frozen brought in but traded to the Rockets scared him off..

boutons_
05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
No matter how badly the Spurs could use him now (if he even made it through summer league and camp), he owes the Spurs nothing.

He could come in 2 years, but Tim will be well into decline in 2011/12.

Huge opportunity for Ian. Let's see if he makes the team.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
So assume Splitter gets 8x his rookie scale contract for 2 years, or roughly $5.5 mil per year. If he ever wants to play in the NBA then he's going to have to sign a contract under the rookie scale. Yes, he gets a bird in hand. But if he's any good he stands to eventually make significantly more than $5.5 mil per as a NBA bigman. By waiting to join the NBA he limits the opportunity for himself to sign multiple long-term contracts and of course, to sign that first large NBA contract after his rookie deal.

timvp
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Ian Mahinmi not seeing minutes Good point. Tau probably told Splitter that the Spurs would likely just make him ride the buses of the D-League if he crossed the pond.

Tau must laugh at how much they own the Spurs.

Harry Callahan
05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
My problem with Splitter is he should have been honest last summer. Before and after being drafted, he said he was going to sign. He knew he'd have to take one-third to one-fifth less money to sign. If he didn't want that, clue the Spurs in last summer.

Now two-years from now, it's not unreasonable to think he'd have to take one-tenth as much money to join the Spurs ... which is why I think he'll never come now. Now one is going to sign a contract for one-tenth of their value.

This guy appeared to take a dump on the Spurs. Not cool.

timvp
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
So assume Splitter gets 8x his rookie scale contract for 2 years, or roughly $5.5 mil per year. If he ever wants to play in the NBA then he's going to have to sign a contract under the rookie scale. Yes, he gets a bird in hand. But if he's any good he stands to eventually make significantly more than $5.5 mil per as a NBA bigman. By waiting to join the NBA he limits the opportunity for himself to sign multiple long-term contracts and of course, to sign that first large NBA contract after his rookie deal.Yep. These two years likely will be the difference between getting two big NBA contracts and one big NBA contract. If he was interested in making it rich by staring in the NBA, this was the summer to come over and start the clock ticking on his rookie deal.

clubalien
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
So assume Splitter gets 8x his rookie scale contract for 2 years, or roughly $5.5 mil per year. If he ever wants to play in the NBA then he's going to have to sign a contract under the rookie scale. Yes, he gets a bird in hand. But if he's any good he stands to eventually make significantly more than $5.5 mil per as a NBA bigman. By waiting to join the NBA he limits the opportunity for himself to sign multiple long-term contracts and of course, to sign that first large NBA contract after his rookie deal.

I belive rights have an expire.. he could wait till spurs rights expire and then sign with anyone , no?

Russ
05-28-2008, 09:39 PM
My problem with Splitter is he should have been honest last summer. Before and after being drafted, he said he was going to sign. He knew he'd have to take one-third to one-fifth less money to sign. If he didn't want that, clue the Spurs in last summer.

Maybe that's why he dropped so far -- the other teams had better intel.

Trainwreck2100
His buyout is the maximum an NBA team can pay, which is 500 gs

stxspurs
spurs need to let him stay in europe...with our luck they will package him and bonner to become the twin towers for a western conf team.....

we are gonna have to get on the ian train now....damn...next year doesnt look to good right now

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh well, Mahinmi has much more potential than Splitter to be a star in this league. I certainly would have liked to see Splitter join the team this summer. Now at least Ian will have a shot at PT next season instead of being buried between the end of the bench and IR.

ChumpDumper
It certainly is easier to take the money now and not take the chance and/or pay the insurance premiums against a career-ending injury.

As for the Spurs, there are a few options this summer -- none of them spectacular, but some things in addition to draft picks and exceptions can happen like expiring contracts could be turned into nonguaranteed contracts as was done with Danny Ferry.

Russ
I belive rights have an expire.. he could wait till spurs rights expire and then sign with anyone , no?

No.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 09:42 PM

He would have to sit out a year from professional basketball.

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Marca reported that was a Spurs official there.

The question is. Did he told Tiago to sign that contract because he won't get much playing time next season and then he may come in 2010 or he was really trying to get Tiago to San Antonio.

I think it's very strange because Tiago said last week, already after Tau offer, that he wanted to come to the NBA and he didn't care about the money.

Something happed last week

stxspurs
so what do we have next year.......oh god bonner,thomas,oberto......shit

Extra Stout
It becomes increasingly clear that the Spurs' former front-office acumen currently resides in the state of Washington, and that whatever good reputation R.C. Buford has was built on that guy's shoulders. Without him, Buford is hardly better than Chris Wallace.

That noise you hear is a window slamming shut.

Harry Callahan
Yep. These two years likely will be the difference between getting two big NBA contracts and one big NBA contract. If he was interested in making it rich by staring in the NBA, this was the summer to come over and start the clock ticking on his rookie deal.

On the money timvp. Two years of a career is a significant percentage. He is still young enough to help in two years, but what does the Spurs roster look like then? Stinks.

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Screw him. The biggest downfall is this is yet another wasted 1st round draft pick for a team really needs to add talent and bench depth.

Enough with this "draft and stash" philosophy. Get some freakin' domestic players that can contribute NOW!

I'd prefer the Spurs now turn their attention to Desgana Diop. They need another rebounder and shot-blocker to go along with Duncan.

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Oh well, Mahinmi has much more potential than Splitter to be a star in this league. I certainly would have liked to see Splitter join the team this summer. Now at least Ian will have a shot at PT next season instead of being buried between the end of the bench and IR.

The Spurs need to "force-feed" minutes to Ian next season at all costs.

Sigz
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Fuck it. Bring back Elson.

Spurs with Elson - NBA Champions. lulz

Extra Stout
05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Screw him. The biggest downfall is this is yet another wasted 1st round draft pick for a team really needs to add talent and bench depth.

Enough with this "draft and stash" philosophy. Get some freakin' domestic players that can contribute NOW!

I'd prefer the Spurs now turn their attention to Desgana Diop. They need another rebounder and shot-blocker to go along with Duncan.
It's really too late now. The Spurs needed to have their youth movement ready to go this summer if there were going to be any chance of keeping the run going. They're already the oldest team ever to make a conference final. Right now the youth movement consists of Ian Mahinmi, whatever retreads the Spurs manage to attract in free agency, and maybe some rookies. Thus begins the inexorable decline.

timaios
05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok... Now, I am depressed !

:vomit:

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 09:55 PM
What is RC Buford doing? The Scola dump was based on the lux tax, but it was also based on his belief that Scola could not fit in the Spurs' offense with TD. About 500 jumpers made and 800 offensive rebounds later it should be apparent that assessment was a bit off.

Yes, Beno didn't work out in SA. So naturally RC sells him at the nadir of his trade value.

Other than assuming that Splitter passed on joining the Spurs for more € today, why else would he take this deal? Because the Spurs told him he'd have to wait to see significant PT? Because they wanted him to?

Indazone
05-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Tell Splitter that Adleman loves Euro's. We love Splitter tell him we treat Scola like King. Besides, we like getting players from the Spurs for nothing!!! LOL

Bring Splitter to the Rockets in 3 years. Wouldn't that be funny Splitter and Scola on the same team :toast

Extra Stout
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
What is RC Buford doing?
He's being exposed.

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
It's really too late now. The Spurs needed to have their youth movement ready to go this summer if there were going to be any chance of keeping the run going. They're already the oldest team ever to make a conference final. Right now the youth movement consists of Ian Mahinmi, whatever retreads the Spurs manage to attract in free agency, and maybe some rookies. Thus begins the inexorable decline.

Good point.

Now I'm depressed too. :bang

I still say they should've kept Darius Washington and DeMarr Johnson on the squad and given them minutes during the "dog days" of the season, If you're gonna get blown our during meaningless regular season games, better to do so with players that will be expected to contribute down the road.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 10:01 PM
The Spurs have treated first round picks as a nuisance for some time now. They've already rid themselves of next year's pick. They'll probably rid themselves of this year's pick ASAP.

Surely RC can find a domestic player good enough to use a 1st round pick on in this year's draft.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
wow this has to be the biggest load of fucking dogshit i have read all day

you know, i used to smile when i came onto spurstalk..

SenorSpur
The Spurs have treated first round picks as a nuisance for some time now. They've already rid themselves of next year's pick. They'll probably rid themselves of this year's pick ASAP.

Surely RC can find a domestic player good enough to use a 1st round pick on in this year's draft.

PHX has implemented the same strategy over the past few years and now they've joined us in the AARP magazine.

As old as this Spurs team is, they'd better find a way to reclaim a #1 pick for next season. Hell, they should've gotten one in the great "Scola Train Robbery".

baseline bum

When it rains . . .

P.S.

This is on Buford; of course Splitter's going to take more money. That Scola trade keeps looking better. At least we have Bonner sitting courtside.

50 cent
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
We've got to stop drafting Euro prospects. The US dollar is so weak against the Euro and the way this country is headed, it isn't going to get any better anytime soon.

We need some good American thugs.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, now that Najera is over 30 he is eligible to be a Spur....

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 10:09 PM

That seems to be where they are headed.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
:pctoss
Tiago Splitter, you are a liar, a doublecrosser, and furthermore, are not as likable anymore.

On second thought, this could be the tip of the surface behind a much bigger story. Something fishy went down when the Spurs scout talked with him last week. Spurs Brazil has something going here...

lrrr
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
There can be NO way that the Spurs would have wanted/asked Splitter to stay in Europe. The Spurs greatest need is for a mobile big, not a long three. Look at all the players that have exposed the Spurs over the last few years, Dallas with Dirk, PHX with Amare, NO with West and now frieking Lamar Odom?! Oberto/Thomas and Horry can't cover these guys, and going small gives up a plethora of offensive boards. In 2005 Horry was still slightly spry and he saved the Spurs asses in the finals. Since then, we've had NOBODY who could run and grab a rebound in the same game (apart from Timmy).

Udonis Haslem. If only...

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2008, 10:11 PM
SPURS FO have become incompetent fucks...all there moves in the pass have become overrated, they suck

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Ian Mahinmi!
Your time is now!

http://www.saspurscast.com/images/mahinmi.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/dleague/i_mahinmi_300_080124.jpg

timvp
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

SenorSpur
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
We've got to stop drafting Euro prospects. The US dollar is so weak against the Euro and the way this country is headed, it isn't going to get any better anytime soon.

We need some good American thugs.

It should've have taken Buford this long to figure this out.

My main issue with him (and Pop) is they do not implement "balanced" strategic approach in managing the Spurs roster.

1. They continously spent draft picks entirely on ALL Euro players. In fact, when is the last time they drafted and mined a domestic player? It's time to quit living on the reputation of drafting Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

2, They invest entirely in ALL NBA veterans over the age of 30. What could they have possibly seen in Nick Van Exel and Damon Stoudamire at this pit in their careers?

Pop and R.C. are seemingly unwilling or unable to adjust to the ever-changing NBA personnel landscape. They tend to go overboard on a strategy by putting all their "acquisition eggs" in the same ol' basket.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

:lol

clubalien
Tiago Splitter, you are a liar, a doublecrosser, and furthermore, are not as likable anymore.

On second thought, this could be the tip of the surface behind a much bigger story. Something fishy went down when the Spurs scout talked with him last week. Spurs Brazil has something going here...

Spurs trading for ben wallace, or possibly a confirming of the dwight howard to spurs rumor?

dbreiden83080
The Spurs don't need the Lakers to kill this dynasty, the fucking Front Office is doing a bang up job of it all on their own. I can't fucking believe this shit. so what next year looks pretty fucking bleak right now.

SenorSpur

:lmao

That is funny, but not a bad idea. I'd take him over Bonner.

Too bad we can't get our hands on Turiaf.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Well, whether or not Splitter eventually joins the Spurs, they should've learned their lesson. Don't draft anymore Euroleague stars.

Cant_Be_Faded
This is fucking horse SHIT
god damn,.....actually im more just flat out sad and bummed out than angry

i wish i'd stop having nightmares of us being old and dominated on the boards.

baseline bum
so what do we have next year.......oh god bonner,thomas,oberto......shit

Thomas is a free agent

Budkin
Oh for fuck's sake! This is the last goddamn thing I wanted to hear after this shitty ass WCF.... fuck that bitch.

koopa
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
this is why i hate peter holt, i know we couldn't have offered him more money then the first round rookie contract allows, but us having a poor alcoholic owner hurts this team, the only ppl we can afford are washed up bastards........... our window to ever repeat as champs will officially be closed tomorrow when the lakers kill us.......and it's all peter holts fault, making the front office always worry more about saving money then actually bringing in talent that could help tim win more championships.......... and manu is already gonna start breaking down......... so we'll never see this team repeat or win another championship...........

and fucking splitter, makes me hate Brazilians even more, i thought having a bitch step mom from brazil was bad enough, now this bastard gives me another reason not to like them

SpursFan0728
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
There can be NO way that the Spurs would have wanted/asked Splitter to stay in Europe. The Spurs greatest need is for a mobile big, not a long three. Look at all the players that have exposed the Spurs over the last few years, Dallas with Dirk, PHX with Amare, NO with West and now frieking Lamar Odom?! Oberto/Thomas and Horry can't cover these guys, and going small gives up a plethora of offensive boards. In 2005 Horry was still slightly spry and he saved the Spurs asses in the finals. Since then, we've had NOBODY who could run and grab a rebound in the same game (apart from Timmy).

Udonis Haslem. If only...

I agree.
my guess is that Spurs sent a staff over there after hearing the news that he will resign with Tau but was unsuccessful in convincing him not to resign.

timvp
05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpgI ROFL'ed after I made it.

Then I realized it wasn't funny ... because that's what the Spurs have to bank on :depressed

TheProfessor
05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Pop and R.C. are seemingly unwilling or unable to adjust to the ever-changing NBA personnel landscape. They tend to go overboard on a strategy by putting all their "acquisition eggs" in the same ol' basket.
Bingo.

clubalien
05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
this confirms we resig kurt thomas though

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Anyone who is shocked by this news hasn't been paying attention lately. Splitter pulled out of the draft three years in a row before being forced into it last year. It was a pretty big reach to ever expect him to leave Europe. I was mad as hell when I found out they drafted his ass last year, because I thought it was 75% he would never play a game in the NBA.

Budkin
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
The even year curse hits even harder this year...

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 10:24 PM
OK, call your shot for this summer's frontcourt acquisitions.

Primoz Brezec and Lo Wright! :elephant

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
:pctoss. Is it ironic that this news comes out today?

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Maybe it's an erroneous report.

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
:pctoss. Is it ironic that this news comes out today?

Just waiting for Tony to tear his ACL tomorrow.

nkdlunch
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
did this really have to happen today???

FUCK!

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Just waiting for Tony to tear his ACL tomorrow.

Dude.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Brian Skinner and Othella Harrington! :elephant

picnroll
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
BY the end of next season Mahinmi will have Spurs' fans saying "Splitter who?"

jag
05-28-2008, 10:29 PM
At this point the Spurs have got to push for Artest in the offseason...not only that, but Ian better sprout wings, put on 50 pounds of muscle and turn into some kind of basketball prodigy for this front office to retain any type of credibility.

wildbill2u
05-28-2008, 10:29 PM

I'm not sure about your statement that he'd make significantly more in the NBA in the future. Who knows what the Euro leagues may be able and willing to pay in two years?

Just as no one imagined Tau would or could outbid the mighty NBA for his services next year, we can't be sure they won't up the ante in two years--and Splitter would still be under the rookie scale in any year he comes over to the NBA.

Who's gonna give up 4 or 5 million a year just to play over here? The NBA and its fans need to wake up. The World of basketball is bigger than just the NBA.

midgetonadonkey
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM

Robert Parish and Tree Rollins

ashbeeigh
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
ri-fucking-dicious. I haven't been keeping up with the Splitter thread throughout the season, but this is still stupid shit. :madrun

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Watch us win the whole damn thing and Splitter will be sitting back watching us doing what he dreamt of. Have fun in Europe for 2 years, ass.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Just as no one imagined Tau would or could outbid the mighty NBA for his services next yearEveryone knew they could and would try, we just didn't know if Splitter would accept it.

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2008, 10:33 PM
i sugget we clear out and tank

wait even with the top pick, we will continue to pick euro shit

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Spurs seem set to return most of the current roster.

Player + when contract ends:
Udoka '09
Vaughn '09
Bonner '10
Bowen '10
Ginobili '10
Oberto '10
Mahinmi '11
Parker '11
Duncan '12

I believe Barry is signed through next season as well. Oh well, Mahinmi better be ready to contribute and RC better find some gems with the cap exceptions this summer. Not to mention finding a domestic player with the 1st round pick who will be available to join the team next October. Shit, use all of your picks on domestic talent.

samikeyp
05-28-2008, 10:35 PM
How do you say "Go fuck yourself" in Portuguese?

jag
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure about your statement that he'd make significantly more in the NBA in the future. Who knows what the Euro leagues may be able and willing to pay in two years?

Just as no one imagined Tau would or could outbid the mighty NBA for his services next year, we can't be sure they won't up the ante in two years--and Splitter would still be under the rookie scale in any year he comes over to the NBA.

Who's gonna give up 4 or 5 million a year just to play over here? The NBA and its fans need to wake up. The World of basketball is bigger than just the NBA.

A lot of young players in Europe aren't dreaming of making it to the NBA like they used to. They can make almost as much money in Europe and still be able to face top competition...and be with their families. Not to mention they dont have to come over here and start at the bottom of the totem pole.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Wake up. The only reason Tau has a shot is because of the rookie scale.

jag
05-28-2008, 10:40 PM

This is a very real possibility with a lot of young European talent though. Why take a big pay cut for 3 years?

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Spurs seem set to return most of the current rotation.

Player + when contract ends:
Udoka '09
Vaughn '09
Bonner '10
Bowen '10
Ginobili '10
Oberto '10
Mahinmi '11
Parker '11
Duncan '12

I believe Barry is signed through next season as well. Oh well, Mahinmi better be ready to contribute and RC better find some gems with the cap exceptions this summer. Not to mention finding a domestic player with the 1st round pick who will be available to join the team next October. Shit, use all of your picks on domestic talent.Yeah, in addition there's only like three or four big men from the D-League I would really want to invite to summer league. Rod Benson could be an Elson type with exceptional rebounding. Chris Alexander could be a traditional center if Thomas moves on. A couple of real athletes who look like they could blow up down the road are Brandon Wallace and Brent Petway.

Slim pickings otherwise. The Spurs will probably be trying to get some trade talk going.

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Dude.

News just keeps getting worse. I don't know wtf to expect tomorrow.

jag
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah, in addition there's only like three or four big men from the D-League I would really want to invite to summer league. Rod Benson could be an Elson type with exceptional rebounding. Chris Alexander could be a traditional center if Thomas moves on. A couple of real athletes who look like they could blow up down the road are Brandon Wallace and Brent Petway.

Slim pickings otherwise. The Spurs will probably be trying to get some trade talk going.

Honestly, how good is Ian? What kind of potential are we talkin here?

ElNono
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't understand what's the big deal. Even if he would come over, you know Pop do not play rookies the first year pretty much at all. He would be doing the Mahimi thing switching between the DLeague and the injured list.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Honestly, how good is Ian? What kind of potential are we talkin here?His potential is quite good. His offensive development (footwork and decision making) this season was impressive considering the amount of defensive attention he got. He needs to bulk up a bit, work on his rebound positioning and cut down on the fouls, but he seems to have more upside than Splitter -- if only for his freakish athleticism.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't understand what's the big deal. Even if he would come over, you know Pop do not play rookies the first year pretty much at all. He would be doing the Mahimi thing switching between the DLeague and the injured list.It kind of depends on which current big men are coming back. Splitter is much further along than Ian as far as development goes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Awesome news. :pctoss

R.C. and Pop doing a bang up job of running the future of this team...

So now this summer looks like Ian, Sanikidze, and whatever we can scrounge up in free agency and/or trades.

Awesome.

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 10:55 PM
LOL

I thought this douchebag was supposed to the 2nd coming of Duncan

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I thought this douchebag was supposed to the 2nd coming of Duncan

No one ever said that.

tlongII
05-28-2008, 10:59 PM
On a side note - Blazers insiders are reporting that it is a near certainty that Rudy Fernandez will be joining the Blazers next year.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Who?

Dim Tuncan
No one ever said that.

Yes you did silly. You told me on the phone the other day :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

pad300
Yeah, in addition there's only like three or four big men from the D-League I would really want to invite to summer league. Rod Benson could be an Elson type with exceptional rebounding. Chris Alexander could be a traditional center if Thomas moves on. A couple of real athletes who look like they could blow up down the road are Brandon Wallace and Brent Petway.

Do you think we could get Nick Fazekas (Clipper at the end of the season, on a min contract). He would be an interesting guy to look at. In the minutes he got to play, he looked suprisingly good. He has good jumpshot to put beside Tim and was a effective rebounder. He's probably not going to get more than a vet min offer from the Clippers...

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes you did silly. You told me on the phone the other day :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmaoNo.

ElNono
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
It kind of depends on which current big men are coming back. Splitter is much further along than Ian as far as development goes.

Oberto was arguably a better, more rounded big when he came over than Splitter is right now, and he still had to endure a year riding the bench. Pop claims it's the system that requires that, I actually think it's more of a test to see if you're ready to give it all for the team.

Brutalis
05-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Boy, we sure do pay for winning rings. Shit like this, Scola.. the shot.. .. . whatever.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Do you think we could get Nick Fazekas (Clipper at the end of the season, on a min contract). He would be an interesting guy to look at. In the minutes he got to play, he looked suprisingly good. He has good jumpshot to put beside Tim and was a effective rebounder. He's probably not going to get more than a vet min offer from the Clippers...Pretty soft, but better than Josh McRoberts, anyway.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Partial list of potential free agents this summer. I'm sure it isn't entirely up to date, but was pulled from ESPN. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents)

James Jones (player option)
Jannero Pargo (player option)
Josh Childress (restricted)
Corey Maggette (player option)
Devin Brown
Kelenna Azubuike (player option, restricted)
Carlos Delfino (restricted)
Jamario Moon
Walter Herrmann (restricted)
Matt Barnes
Mickael Pietrus
Gordan Giricek
James Posey (player option)
Carlos Arroyo
Maurice Evans
Antoine Wright
JR Smith (restricted)
Bostjan Nachbar (Slovenian)
Ricky Davis
Trevor Ariza (player option)

ChumpDumper
Oberto was arguably a better, more rounded big when he came over than Splitter is right now, and he still had to endure a year riding the bench. Pop claims it's the system that requires that, I actually think it's more of a test to see if you're ready to give it all for the team.There were still players in front of him as well.

loveforthegame

The story is that Finley was not happy with screwing the Spurs just this season he now wants to screw them in the future as well. Word is that one of his paychecks went to Tau and Splitter to keep him over there.

tlongII
05-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Who?

Rudy Fernandez - aka the best player in Europe.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Rudy Fernandez - aka the best player in Europe.No, I meant who are the "Blazers"?

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
No, I meant who are the "Blazers"?

CACA!!!!!!!!!!!!

baseline bum
05-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Partial list of potential free agents this summer. I'm sure it isn't entirely up to date, but was pulled from ESPN. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents)

James Jones (player option)
Jannero Pargo (player option)
Josh Childress (restricted)
Corey Maggette (player option)
Devin Brown
Kelenna Azubuike (player option, restricted)
Carlos Delfino (restricted)
Jamario Moon
Walter Herrmann (restricted)
Matt Barnes
Mickael Pietrus
Gordan Giricek
James Posey (player option)
Carlos Arroyo
Maurice Evans
Antoine Wright
JR Smith (restricted)
Bostjan Nachbar (Slovenian)
Ricky Davis
Trevor Ariza (player option)

Shit... the only players I like on that list are Pargo and Childress (Maggette's a pipe dream, so he doesn't count).

tlongII
No, I meant who are the "Blazers"?

What?

ChumpDumper
What?Exaclty.

stxspurs
05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
v span will now be the future of the spurs.......kill bill in 3.....2........

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Shit... the only players I like on that list are Pargo and Childress (Maggette's a pipe dream, so he doesn't count).

If Herrmann could be had for cheap he'd be a good pickup.

intlspurshk
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Spiltter may never join NBA if he already got 8x better salary. His next contract will definitely > rookie salary.

To think out of the box, maybe SPURS should target remaining Tau players in the draft given that they have locked huge $ in Spiltter.

200 miles
05-28-2008, 11:19 PM
FIRE RC!!!

:drunk

byrontx
05-28-2008, 11:21 PM
I am surprised that Tau pays the kind of money for talent that they do. They do seem to have a good eye for talent. Are the euro teams generating that kind of profit?

200 miles
05-28-2008, 11:22 PM
still trying to get that knife out of... my......back...........

spurdaddy20
05-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Are you guys sure Tiago has signed an ext with Tau? Where are you getting your info? Acording to spur scources he is only considering the offer.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I am surprised that Tau pays the kind of money for talent that they do. They do seem to have a good eye for talent. Are the euro teams generating that kind of profit?

They apparently gave the guy 2 years and $10 mil. Scola ditched them for 3 years and $10 mil in the NBA with the promise of one sizable deal at the end of that. Tau benefitted from nothing more than the NBA's rookie contract scale for 1st round picks.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Are you guys sure Tiago has signed an ext with Tau? Where are you getting your info? Acording to spur scources he is only considering the offer.

Yeah, we have a report from ESPN Brazil so far.

Indazone
05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
lol just get Darko!

spurdaddy20
05-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey Holts Cat where did you get the info from, Im hoping this is just rumors...

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Awesome news. :pctoss

R.C. and Pop doing a bang up job of running the future of this team...

So now this summer looks like Ian, Sanikidze, and whatever we can scrounge up in free agency and/or trades.

Awesome.

Great take, Faggy Poopman :lmao

200 miles
05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
i dont know why I'm thinking about this and comparing it to the Splitter fallout, but does anybody remember that scene in Rambo 2 when Rambo was in no man's land with a POW in tow and waits for a rescue chopper and when it does come, providing Rambo and the prisoner with hopeful relief, it suddenly decides to leave them behind and get captured by Vietnamese troops

unfulfilled promises :depressed

Typhoon
05-28-2008, 11:45 PM
If Herrmann could be had for cheap he'd be a good pickup.

Walter Herrmann would be pure ownage.
I think Pistons will keep him, when he got time with them he delivered.
Delfino is available as well I believe, much better defender than Udoka, has all around game with Manu he would thrive... omg Imagine the chemistry they would own face.

saYVKxLsJes

Tek_XX
05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm starting to think that Manu and Parker were flukes. Are the Spurs really that good at drafting?

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Fuck Thiago Splitter, you guys should get Thiago Silva. He can do that badass throat slit gesture everytime he scores. That would be awesome.

MannyIsGod
05-28-2008, 11:52 PM
They apparently gave the guy 2 years and $10 mil. Scola ditched them for 3 years and $10 mil in the NBA with the promise of one sizable deal at the end of that. Tau benefitted from nothing more than the NBA's rookie contract scale for 1st round picks.

Splitters deal would have been what, 3 years with a team option for less than what he's going to make in one year over there? At the chance at making the same but probably less in the long run?

The truth is that 5 million AFTER taxes is a lot more valuable than being paid in dollars before taxes. He really does stand to make a lot more money in Europe than he does here.

I don't hold or harbor any ill will to the guy. He's doing what he has to do for him. Its naive to sit here and think that the Spurs wouldn't do what they have to do to safe guard their interests so I'm not going to be pissed at a player for doing the same.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm starting to think that Manu and Parker were flukes. Are the Spurs really that good at drafting?

Yes, at least international talent. What they've done with it is another story.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Maybe he's gonna be bought out his second year, it is set at the league maximum for a reason

Anti.Hero
05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Fucking piece of shit.

Solid D
05-29-2008, 12:04 AM
"RC's Follies" is getting large enough to create a "Top 10" video.

L.I.T
05-29-2008, 12:08 AM
in a twisted way it could make sense. Kori mentioned that she doubted the spurs would have both over; in a way makes sense. Why surround Duncan with inexpeienced talent that would likely increase his workload. Get one guy in who get the bulk of the developmental minutes. Splitter gets one year at 5.5 million, which makes those first rookie years more palatable and (if there really is a buyout at 500k) he gets off scot free.

Tau has had a history of putting in insane buyouts, why is this one so reasonable?

Of course thats the incredibly optimist scenario.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2008, 12:11 AM
It's somewhat possible that the Spurs representative was there to make sure they could get Splitter down the road without much of a problem. I know Tau could have made things much more difficult -- more years, huge buyout, whatever.

Dim Tuncan
05-29-2008, 12:14 AM
It's somewhat possible that the Spurs representative was there to make sure they could get Splitter down the road without much of a problem. I know Tau could have made things much more difficult -- more years, huge buyout, whatever.

Faggy Poopman agrees :lmao

Dingle Barry
05-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Splitters deal would have been what, 3 years with a team option for less than what he's going to make in one year over there? At the chance at making the same but probably less in the long run?

The truth is that 5 million AFTER taxes is a lot more valuable than being paid in dollars before taxes. He really does stand to make a lot more money in Europe than he does here.

I don't hold or harbor any ill will to the guy. He's doing what he has to do for him. Its naive to sit here and think that the Spurs wouldn't do what they have to do to safe guard their interests so I'm not going to be pissed at a player for doing the same.

That isn't the issue. It is about his constant proclamations this past year that he was definitely heading to America for less money.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 12:18 AM

That could be a possibility. Splitter gets one year at $5 mil, Spurs pay buyout and then Splitter starts his NBA rookie contract at age 24.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2008, 12:22 AM
That could be a possibility. Splitter gets one year at $5 mil, Spurs pay buyout and then Splitter starts his NBA rookie contract at age 24.We live in hope -- but I'm not going to hold my breath for an early buyout. It might have something to do with the next cap clearing summer.

But is that summer 2009 or 2010?

tmtcsc
05-29-2008, 12:45 AM
WTF is wrong with all you people ? Vent all you want at Tiago for not coming but c'mon...we have 3 Rings in 5 years. Back away from all the smack on RC and Pop.

No doubt we need to get younger but the truth is, Splitter is still an option in 2 years and I still have confidence that we can draft and acquire players through FA that will help us.

This news sucks but we've all seen that being young doesn't necessarily win you anything. We still have a solid core with Bruce, Tim, Tony and Manu. We need to find a bench.

Maybe: Antwan Jamison, Matt Barnes, Michael Pietrus

Is Brent Barry going to be a UFA or is it a player option ? He deserves another year. He was playing great until he got injured and seems to be playing well again.

intlspurshk
05-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Antwan Jamison? for MLE? Come on...how about LBJ or Wade?

wireonfire
05-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Tell Splitter that Adleman loves Euro's. We love Splitter tell him we treat Scola like King. Besides, we like getting players from the Spurs for nothing!!! LOL

Bring Splitter to the Rockets in 3 years. Wouldn't that be funny Splitter and Scola on the same team :toast

:toast

intlspurshk
05-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Let not bash Spiltter. He has not given any committment before he was drafted. No one can force him to come to NBA since there is no contract.

Let's think positive. How can SPURS retool? Can SPURS trade lower value players (Bonner, Oberto, JV) for expiring contracts and open up more cap room than MLE and sign a 2nd tier star or 1 Center + 1 SG (preferably a mobile big with offensive skills like N Kristic or a good defensive big like Diop and a good 3pt SG)

Bruno
05-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Thanks Tiago. It looks like you have lied and toyed with spurs to get a big fat contract from Tau. Awesome...

Here's the article for Tau's local newspaper :
http://www.elcorreodigital.com/alava/20080529/deportes/tau/splitter-estudia-oferta-club-20080529.html

They don't say that the deal is done. They said that Splitter is considering Tau's offer and will meet with the team after the Spanish league final to make a choice.
The Spanish final will end in about one week.

bigdog
05-29-2008, 02:27 AM
I knew this would happen. I think no matter what happens now, Mahinmi is in for next year.

The Spurs didn't give Bonner that contract for nothing. I think he'll return, unless they can pull off a trade. I think they give DerMarr Johnson a chance in training camp and he makes the team. After that, I'm not sure what will happen, but if they draft another foreign player I'll be extremely pissed.

timvp
05-29-2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks Tiago. It looks like you have lied and toyed with spurs to get a big fat contract from Tau. Awesome...

http://www.spurstalk.com/tiago-kutcher.jpg

I thought he just looked like him . . . :depressed

spursjustice
05-29-2008, 03:08 AM
this news sucks... :(

objective
05-29-2008, 03:46 AM
That's a nail in the Spurs coffin for any future title contention.

They have no flexibility in the cap, no roster space, no first round picks from 07 or in 09, no young talent other than Mahinmi who is tracking Amir Johnson and Sanikidze who can't even get a contract offer.

Their scouting has proven horrid, they can't identify NCAA prospects.

And the free agent class is exceptionally weak, maybe they can get Pietrus, or Najera, or Diop.

But that won't be enough.

Emeyin
05-29-2008, 04:00 AM

HDPljS7vVtE

Man, that hurts watching that.. Finally someone else who can jam that ball and bring some youthful energy. And now nothing. :depressed

Bruno
05-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Splitter coming only in 2010 is just too late for Spurs. If it take shim one year to adapt to the NBA, it means that he will start to be effective in 2011-2012 when Duncan will be 36.

If reports are true and Splitter hasn't signed his extension for the moment, I want Spurs to put a lot of pressure on him and say to him "if you don't come this summer, we will only offer you in the future 80% of the rookie scale instead of 120%". Spurs should convince him that it's now or never if he wants to play one day in NBA.

j.r. haider
05-29-2008, 04:15 AM
lol just get Darko!

the serbian gangster would be awesome if he wasn't overpaid as fuck.

Velo
05-29-2008, 04:19 AM
News travels fast...up on his wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiago_Splitter).

mikekim
05-29-2008, 04:20 AM
I hate life.

amy020
05-29-2008, 04:48 AM
really bad news

Kibic
05-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Pathetic.

Splitter is a no factor in Euroleague.
His not a star on a 4. best team in Euroleague.
He plays 20 min/game
He is not a starter (in fucking Euroleague)
He knows all that. He knows there is at least 50 players in EL better than him.

Sow him live this season. You do not have anything to cry for except draft pick. It is not on topic but, criticized Rasho eats him for breakfast or late night snack.

blaze89
05-29-2008, 06:55 AM
None of this is set in stone, according to the source www.elcorreodigital.com, Splitter is "studying" the deal.

Supergirl
05-29-2008, 06:56 AM
At least it's only a 2 year deal. Let him make some money, and then come over in 2 years. I expect big things out of Mahinmi next year, and Splitter will only be like 22 or 24 when he does come over here. So I'm not worried.

stxspurs
05-29-2008, 07:15 AM
whats gonna end up happening is tiago says no to tau comes to san antonio and stinks up the att center....fans will wish why we wanted him in the first place....damned if we do ....damned if we dont

Kobe24Forever
05-29-2008, 07:17 AM
this is totally shit news for the spurs, i seen splitter play, and i can gurantee that he would have been an instant fit for the spurs, good interior defense which would only get better, and a strong finisher around the rim with length, spurs with splitter is almost certain to be able to mount a championship challenge again, but it's too bad he went for the cash instead, i feel sorry for you guys, better start trading for lotery picks now..oh wait...

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-29-2008, 07:30 AM

Here's the article for Tau's local newspaper :
http://www.elcorreodigital.com/alava/20080529/deportes/tau/splitter-estudia-oferta-club-20080529.html

They don't say that the deal is done. They said that Splitter is considering Tau's offer and will meet with the team after the Spanish league final to make a choice.
The Spanish final will end in about one week.

:tu
Come on, Splitter. Your dream is to play NBA ball. You have that chance in the palm of your hands. Don't let it go.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-29-2008, 07:30 AM
And thanks Bruno and Spurs Brazil for all the updates. :tu It's greatly appreciated.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 07:55 AM

Tau's offer is apparently guaranteed for 2 years at most and looks like an inflated salary to keep Splitter with Tau for an extra year or two before he moves to the NBA. It's the long term fully guaranteed deals in the NBA that pay off for players and warrant the move over (even with the rookie scale contract), as well as the potential for outside income owing to the NBA's popularity worldwide. Any NBA bigman who can fog up a mirror seems to end up with a long term contract.

Josepatches
05-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Trade for Marc Gasol with memphis.He's a lot better than Splitter.He's the MVP of the spanish league and he could be even better than Pau.
I'm sure that Memphis will trade him for Oberto if they trade Pau for Kwame.
They could be a great team with Oberto and Kwame in the frontcourt.

urunobili
05-29-2008, 08:24 AM
F you Tiago!

All these Euros from South America are just piece of shit!
so what you are saying is fuck Manu and Oberto?

urunobili
05-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Good point. Tau probably told Splitter that the Spurs would likely just make him ride the buses of the D-League if he crossed the pond.

Tau must laugh at how much they own the Spurs.

with all this devaluation of the dollar and these unfortunate events... i can see Manu accepting an offer from Real Madrid for 8 Mill euros a year to retire there if he doesn't get same money extension from the Spurs...

MoSpur
05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Can the Spurs go after Brand or Okafor now?

A.H 21-50
05-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Can the Spurs go after Brand or Okafor now?

maybe if they don't want money ;)

rascal
05-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Wheres T Park? Splitter was supposed to be the impact player next year.

Why don't the spurs try drafting some players from the US and stop trying to get foreign players who are locked playing in other leagues. There has to be some talent worth taking a chance on at the end of the first round.

MoSpur
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM
You can't fault the guy for taking more money. I would love to see him in a Spurs jersey to see what he can do. I also think its wrong if he had given his word to come here and now turns his back. However, money talks.

rascal
05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Trade for Marc Gasol with memphis.He's a lot better than Splitter.He's the MVP of the spanish league and he could be even better than Pau.
I'm sure that Memphis will trade him for Oberto if they trade Pau for Kwame.
They could be a great team with Oberto and Kwame in the frontcourt. You can't be serious about Oberto and Kwame being on a great team as starters.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh, fuck me! That is terrible news. What a fucktard!!!

You just fucked up big time Tiago.

Fuck.

MoSpur
05-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Isn't that guy who was the center for Dallas that was traded to New Jersey a free agent??? He did a good job on defense against Duncan. That's already a plus with Pop. He usually goes after guys who play well against us.

wildbill2u
05-29-2008, 09:01 AM

Exactly. The NBA has tampered with the worldwide market on basketball players by putting artificial limits on rookie contracts. This price-fixing was successful when there were no other leagues that could bid in competition with the NBA, but that obviously isn't true any more and this is the predictable result.

So far, this price fixing has only worked in the Euros favor on bringing Euro players over here. Let's not forget that in addition to Splitter, Javtokas also took more money to play in Europe.

But NBA price-fixing may also work in the Euros favor by allowing them to sign American players out from under the noses of NBA teams.

As they strive to improve their teams, the next move by the Euro teams may be to outbid NBA teams for lower-ranked American rookies who are salary-limited by the pay scale.

Remember that the bottom 1/3 of 1st round draft picks NEVER play on an NBA team and there have been plenty of bust-outs who were drafted higher than that.

The Euros won't even want to bid for all of them, but any player down near the bottom of the first round would have to take a look at an offer significantly over the rookie pay scale if it was a take it now or leave it offer.

The NBA better wise up quickly that they are in a salary war with the Euros and rethink the salary cap strategy.

MannyIsGod
05-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Don't expect the rookie scale to go anywhere. You guys forget how much people like Shawn Bradley got in contracts as rookies.

MannyIsGod
05-29-2008, 09:04 AM
BTW can someone post Tiago quotes over the past year about how he said he was coming to the Spurs. I'm interested in seeing what everyone is basing the hate off of.

MoSpur
05-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Looking at this with a positive frame of mind. If Tau is offering more money with an extension, that must mean he is very good. So,if he does come to S.A, that could be a good thing. I hope he does. I guess we'll see.

GrandeDavid
05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Marca reported that was a Spurs official there.

The question is. Did he told Tiago to sign that contract because he won't get much playing time next season and then he may come in 2010 or he was really trying to get Tiago to San Antonio.

I think it's very strange because Tiago said last week, already after Tau offer, that he wanted to come to the NBA and he didn't care about the money.

Something happed last week

Maybe he found out he got a couple of meninas de programa in Spain pregnant. No, wait, he'd be running to America if that happend! :lol

m33p0
05-29-2008, 09:29 AM
oh, man. :depressed

SpurOutofTownFan
05-29-2008, 09:30 AM
you guys are upset at the guy for taking 8 times more money and a guaranteed position at starting on a winning team???? LMAO!!

this is the spurs FO's fault to court an impossible to obtain guy much like Scola. Tau Ceramica is one of the premier teams in Europe and with Scola the had the clause the Spurs could never meet. Then you have the Splitter situation where the Spurs can't meet either. Tau just does a great job at securing their assets and the Spurs FO didn't see it coming.

The European market is becoming painfully aware they spend a lot of money and time building players so the NBA pick them up with zero investment. They are getting smarter each day and won't give the good ones away for free.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Is Tau offering a fully guaranteed 5 year, $50 mil contract? No. They can't. They are simply exploiting the fact that Splitter faces a rookie scale contract if he opts for the NBA.

In the long term, a NBA career will pay off handsomely for a moderately talented player vis a vis the Spanish League.

The way to look at Splitter's situation is that he is being offered a raise in lieu of going back to grad school. But once he's done with school he stands to be paid well. Maybe he'll decide to put off school for a year and make a little coin. It's hard to fault him for that. If he told the Spurs he would absolutely be coming over this summer I can see the reason for the angst, but I'm not that broke up about it.

After all, the Spurs have a new student already in the program, and he's pretty good.

GrandeDavid
05-29-2008, 09:41 AM
BTW can someone post Tiago quotes over the past year about how he said he was coming to the Spurs. I'm interested in seeing what everyone is basing the hate off of.

Translated from Portuguse by me:

"I cannot wait to arrive in the Alamo City to take Tim Duncan's starting job and snap at Gregg Popovich during timeouts. I can't wait to shoot the bird at or moon the likes of Mouse if I see him frolicking up and down the aisles at the AT&T Center. I will eat all of the hot San Antonio women alive. And, by the way, "eat" in Portuguese does not necessarily mean "go down on". It means I will ravage their bodies and own their souls. Oh, and I will average a triple double and lead the Spurs to a resounding championship sweep next season, which will be the franchise's sixth. My name is Tiago Splitter and I was born to be a Spur."

----source unknown, but GrandeDavid asks you to believe that Splitter said that sh!t.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Again this is crap opinion. TAU is not even rich club in Europe. They are poor compare to clubs in Spain like Barcelona and Real Madrid and even those clubs is not willing to pay even close to what CSKA or Olympiacos or PAO will pay. Barcelona, Real, PAO, Olympiacos is all BILLION dollar clubs. Richer than any NBA team.

CSKA is owned by Russia army you think any NBA team have as much cash in bank account as them?

PAO owners is probably second only to Blazers owner in money in whole world of basketball.

Europe have no salary cap, no luxury tax, no rookie scale and salaries is NET. You keep believe nonsense of 5-10 years ago where Europe play less. This is NOT true. Saras is make what is equal to $12 million per year if he is NBA from what PAO pay him amnd you really believe Europe players make more in NBA?

Any of best Europe players like Dirk or any of them will make as much or even MORE if they tell team like Olympiacos, PAO, or CSKA they want to play with them.

US fans not understand back in 1995-2000 sometimes like this how good Greek league were much better than Spanish league is today. Players like Dominique even given money enough to come there. Difference is then biggest teams were willing pay huge salary but few of best players wanted to play there even though league was very strong then.

Now difference is league is not as strong but idea of NBA and Euroleague is changing. Teams is offering huge money again and now Euroleague image is much higher and NBA much lower.

And way American fans laugh and make fun of player like Spanoulis........way coach and GM treat him. You realize he take huge pay cuts to join NBA and is promise to be starter by playoffs even by coach? He ride bench all year and have lies make up about him and mom in papers and fans even make fun of his mom.

These types of things have lower NBA reputation by about 10 times amongs best players of Europe. It have tainted image these days but some of members here can only say thing like "NBA is only thing that matter".

You are not be realistic. It will harder for Spurs to get Euro players now. Maybe when Manu leavue Euroleague is like 50 percent of NBA level but in these days it is more like 80 percent level. Manu will not be even close to as good as he were if compete in same Euroleague now. It is even much stronger than when Saras leave.

Best chance to get Euro players is ones like Papaloukas who is make clear statement they want to come NBA. But then when they say they will must have MLE fans laugh and joke about this. But even MLE is big pay cut. But NBA fans keep say stupid thing like "no player in Europe can get more than MLE".

Spurs could get player such as Papaloukas or some other veteran players like Scola but they must be willing to pay at least MLE. It sad that US fans here keep live in past it remind of the way they talks about Team USA also.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
How come you don't see any NBA stars or average starters opting for those leagues? There's a reason.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
On a side note - Blazers insiders are reporting that it is a near certainty that Rudy Fernandez will be joining the Blazers next year.

He have bad dribbling for SG he must play SF and he is not big enough for this position in NBA. He have poor basketball IQ and he is play on team that is like old Suns of NBA so all his numbers is inflated. His team is not win Spanish league and he is not MVP of league, Gasol is.

Also in European Cup he play in ULEB Cup not Euroleague, this is like NBDL compare to NBA. Blazers and Spanish fans can have him because they believe some BS on how good this player is.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Oberto was arguably a better, more rounded big when he came over than Splitter is right now, and he still had to endure a year riding the bench. Pop claims it's the system that requires that, I actually think it's more of a test to see if you're ready to give it all for the team.

Oberto was not as good in Europe as Spurs fans think. He was never that good.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 09:54 AM

Team like TAU is maybe. It is hard to say. Euroleague itself is make lots of money. Teams themself hard to say. But different than US. Fans must understand if teams of Europe the big clubs decide they want compete in basketball then they can spend whatever they want.

Barcelona I think have something like $260 million in the US money in player budget for soccer team. It just depend on how much they want spend on basketball. In US fans seem believe Europe sports club is poor. Is very strange why this belief is when US clubs is ones that is poor compares to them.

As PAO fan I can assures you PAO is much richer club than any team of NBA.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Again not true. Scola was already make much more in Spain than he could make in NBA. Also Olympiacos gave him offer before was about 5 million Euro net per year. He will never make such contract in NBA but he is get big shoe contract from Rockets because owner there is part of Chinese shoe company.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Oberto was not as good in Europe as Spurs fans think. He was never that good.

hmmm I think that most Spurs fan realize that Oberto is an average center at best.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Those Chinese shoe contracts give the Rockets an adavantage over every other team in the NBA :D

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Pathetic.

Splitter is a no factor in Euroleague.
His not a star on a 4. best team in Euroleague.
He plays 20 min/game
He is not a starter (in fucking Euroleague)
He knows all that. He knows there is at least 50 players in EL better than him.

Sow him live this season. You do not have anything to cry for except draft pick. It is not on topic but, criticized Rasho eats him for breakfast or late night snack.

He is in hype machines just like Rudy Fernandez.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Is Tau offering a fully guaranteed 5 year, $50 mil contract? No. They can't. They are simply exploiting the fact that Splitter faces a rookie scale contract if he opts for the NBA.

In the long term, a NBA career will pay off handsomely for a moderately talented player vis a vis the Spanish League.

The way to look at Splitter's situation is that he is being offered a raise in lieu of going back to grad school. But once he's done with school he stands to be paid well. Maybe he'll decide to put off school for a year and make a little coin. It's hard to fault him for that. If he told the Spurs he would absolutely be coming over this summer I can see the reason for the angst, but I'm not that broke up about it.

After all, the Spurs have a new student already in the program, and he's pretty good.

Do you have math problem? In NBA salary is BEFORE taxes, these big club salaries in Europe is AFTER taxes. Maybe you can have accountant explain to you.

Holt's Cat
And way American fans laugh and make fun of player like Spanoulis........way coach and GM treat him. You realize he take huge pay cuts to join NBA and is promise to be starter by playoffs even by coach? He ride bench all year and have lies make up about him and mom in papers and fans even make fun of his mom.

So the European leagues are for players to run home to who can't cut it in the NBA.

The guaranteed money isn't there, which is the attraction of the NBA. In addition to the fact that the NBA is the most visible and marketed professional basketball league on planet Earth. Saying the Euroleagues are a viable option is like saying that the MLS is on par with the Premiership.

When the Euroleagues start handing out $40 mil+ long term guaranteed contracts like candy to moderately talented bigs let me know.

Holt's Cat
Do you have math problem? In NBA salary is BEFORE taxes, these big club salaries in Europe is AFTER taxes. Maybe you can have accountant explain to you.

What does "guaranteed" and "long term" mean to you?

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Again not true. Scola was already make much more in Spain than he could make in NBA. Also Olympiacos gave him offer before was about 5 million Euro net per year.

With a guarantee of maybe 2 years. We'll see how little Scola is paid on his next contract with the Rockets holding his full Bird Rights.

He will never make such contract in NBA but he is get big shoe contract from Rockets because owner there is part of Chinese shoe company.

Funny, he never had such an opportunity in the vaunted Spanish League.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Ahh but we digress

Bonner's 5 million could have gotten Scola

Scola signs with Rocket for 5 million :D

Rocket Send Spanoulis to Spurs and then quits

Spurs bank on Tiago Splitter coming over to play along side Tim Duncan and taking the salary that would have been Scola's.

Splitter decides to stay home meaning really this time. Spurs give the Rockets Scola for Zero.

Does that about sum it up?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
How come you don't see any NBA stars or average starters opting for those leagues? There's a reason.

Because when they sign contract NBA pay MORE and Euroleague was much weaker than NBA and NBA had good image.

You must live in world view not Texas view some here sounds just like Rockets fans nothing but ignorant. Let me helps you. You can ask almost any person of Europe who is Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and they will explain who they are.

Ask any person on street in Europe who is Dirk or who is Manu and they will have no idea and they will probable not know Kobe or Lebron either. But according to US fans NBA is only thing in world of basketball. This is live in past.

Ask European on street who is Papaloukas and they will know him.

Also like with Spanouli all of Houston fans says how good Houston were they actual believe can compare to Athens. Athens way of life is even superior in Mediterranean and these fans of Houston really believe such nonsense.

He give up not only money and family but also much better way of life and climate for "dream" to plays in NBA. And look what happen. And understand he is idolize the players like Jordan from this 90s era of NBA. In today NBA games is hardly even get notice on TV here but in those days was very popular.

In Greece we watch Lakers Celtics of 80s like we watch Galis. But today even basketball fans in Greece not even give damn about NBA just few like me. Maybe this help you live in bigger world to understand how Tiago maybe view things because he is not live in same box you do.

thispego
05-29-2008, 10:14 AM
When Will The Spurs Learn Their Fucking Lesson?!?!?!?

velik_m
05-29-2008, 10:14 AM
It would be a shame if Splitter wouldn't join the Spurs next year, i think he would really fit in well. But i don't think this should come as too big of a surprise, he did pull out of the draft a couple of times, even when he was considered a "top 5" pick. So he's probablly not so hot on NBA. Perhaps he just used the Spurs to leverage a better contract with Tau.

People who think he will be willing to sign after two years are deluding themselfs. He's worth more than rookie paycheck now, he will be worth more than it in two year's time. And if he's not, you don't want him anyway.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Those Chinese shoe contracts give the Rockets an adavantage over every other team in the NBA :D

Yes in Greece it was report that Spanoulis trade will not happen without this. Rockets will not complete trade of him unless they knows Scola will sign because he must get more than MLE and with shoe contract this happen and Rockets can only pay him in the $3 millions.

velik_m
05-29-2008, 10:16 AM

You don't get much out of Greece, do you?

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Ahh but we digress

Bonner's 3 mil per season for 3 seasons could have gone to Scola

Scola signs with Rocket for 3 million per season for 3 seasons.

Rocket Send Vagisil to Spurs and then he runs home to Mama as expected since the move was to dump Jackie Butler's salary and reduce the Spurs' luxury tax exposure.

Spurs bank on Tiago Splitter coming over to play along side Tim Duncan.

Splitter is apparently considering staying with Tau for one more season at an inflated salary. Spurs give the Rockets Scola for Zero basketball talent in return.

Does that about sum it up?

Corrections in bold.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Because when they sign contract NBA pay MORE and Euroleague was much weaker than NBA and NBA had good image.

You must live in world view not Texas view some here sounds just like Rockets fans nothing but ignorant. Let me helps you. You can ask almost any person of Europe who is Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and they will explain who they are.

Ask any person on street in Europe who is Dirk or who is Manu and they will have no idea and they will probable not know Kobe or Lebron either. But according to US fans NBA is only thing in world of basketball. This is live in past.

Also like with Spanouli all of Houston fans says how good Houston were they actual believe can compare to Athens. Athens way of life is even superior in Mediterranean and these fans of Houston really believe such nonsense.

He give up not only money and family but also much better way of life and climate for "dream" to plays in NBA. And look what happen. And understand he is idolize the players like Jordan from this 90s era of NBA. In today NBA games is hardly even get notice on TV here but in those days was very popular.

In Greece we watch Lakers Celtics of 80s like we watch Galis. But today even basketball fans in Greece not even give damn about NBA just few like me. Maybe this help you live in bigger world to understand how Tiago maybe view things because he is not live in same box you do.

So ignorant Greeks don't keep up with the rest of the world. Duly noted.

stxspurs
05-29-2008, 10:23 AM
V-span To The Spurs!!!!! Book It!

Bartleby
05-29-2008, 10:23 AM
People who think he will be willing to sign after two years are deluding themselfs. He's worth more than rookie paycheck now, he will be worth more than it in two year's time. And if he's not, you don't want him anyway.

Exactly.

Plus, If he comes now I think he would have a great shot at taking the starting role from Oberto/Thomas by mid-season. At the very least, he would probably get solid minutes early on. The longer he waits the greater the chance a more polished Mahinmi (or some other player) will end up taking his playing time.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:25 AM
If Papaloukas comes over next year, how much do you think he will command? Only the MLE? Because if he gets the MLE he should be ok. However if he thinks he is worth much more than this, and the NBA does not match his true worth, what reason is there for him to come over?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 10:32 AM
So the European leagues are for players to run home to who can't cut it in the NBA.

The guaranteed money isn't there, which is the attraction of the NBA. In addition to the fact that the NBA is the most visible and marketed professional basketball league on planet Earth. Saying the Euroleagues are a viable option is like saying that the MLS is on par with the Premiership.

When the Euroleagues start handing out $40 mil+ long term guaranteed contracts like candy to moderately talented bigs let me know.

I try explain to you and you live in past still. First these contracts from big clubs is guarantee. You are talk crazy thing if believe TAU will not pay Splitter. This is not some division 2 team in Greece. Big clubs pay players plus give them other things. When do Spurs give free sports car, free yacth and free Mediterranean villa to best players of team like PAO and Olympiacos do?

Spanoulis get these from PAO and they also pay tax on these. When he with Rockets he have to buy own car and he have apartment.

And I already try explain you on NBA image and you refuse listen. In time of Bird and Magic and Jordan NBA image, name, fame and all this is what you claim in Europe. Is NOT now. Few people here give damn about NBA. Is not popular these days even in least bit. You seem not able grasp such concept?

Think from Tiago view not your view. Is this so hard? Main reason for good player come to NBA is for play in best league. And this is still true NBA is best league. But I also try explain you this is also become less reasons for players. Because as I try say like example when Manu come NBA Euroleague is like 50% level of NBA but now days is more like 80% or maybe even 85%.

So incentive to join for play in best league is even get less each year. Like I try explain players like Navarro, Papaloukas, Scola, Siskauaskas they want play NBA because they want prove something that they can play there. This is about only reason now for players to want play NBA if they are best of Europe. But then NBA have attitude and so do fans that it is joke they expect even average contract. Because of this hard even get player like Papaloukas.

You can believe nonsense all you want but this is true. Player not play NBA because "they suck" this is typical US basketball fan opinion. Real reason is they make much more money in Europe. Navarro is only one who was willing put money aside I think after what happen to players like Macijauskas and Spanoulis. But Navarro is even different because he just want to play with Gasol and Gasol have to demand Memphis sign him because they believe rookie minimum is "too much for him".

You will say dumb thing like "Navarro will now get big NBA contract and more than he can in Europe after take less for one year in NBA". This is nonsense. Navarro can get something like 3.5 million euro net salary in Europe. He will get no money like this in NBA.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Exactly.

Plus, If he comes now I think he would have a great shot at taking the starting role from Oberto/Thomas by mid-season. At the very least, he would probably get solid minutes early on. The longer he waits the greater the chance a more polished Mahinmi (or some other player) will end up taking his playing time.

Then in a couple years when him leaving for the NBA is not as much of a threat he'll get less from Tau without much in the way of guaranteed years.

It sounds like he's considering playing one more season for Tau at an inflated salary and then joining the Spurs next season.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh well, doesn't matter to me. I hope Morey is smart enough not to listen to their own cement headed fans and sign Papaloukas.

mystargtr34
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Ok i officially want Spanoulis at the Spurs.

I dont give a fuck if he doesnt cut it... at least were gonna have someone under 35 on the fucking team.

Hes only 25... we should sign him to back up TP.... i dont even wanna see Jaque Vaughan on the court in an important game again.... ever... hes a practice player... a regular season scrub... the Spurs cant seriously contend with that dude as the back up point guard..

We could pair him in the backcourt with TP to and allow Manu to play less minutes...

They should ocncentrate their efforts on him..

Kill Bill what are the chances of Spanoulis coming over next year? What do the Spurs have to do?

Im a lot less informred on him than i am on Tiago... but as of now... fuck Tiago.

One small thing... he has a buy out after next season of just 500K.... maybe the Spurs want him to develop some more and they came to some sort of agreement in terms of money to make up for the rookie scale..

I think theres a high chance he only stays in Europe for one season rather than two...

But then again.... Fuck Tiago

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I try explain to you and you live in past still. First these contracts from big clubs is guarantee. You are talk crazy thing if believe TAU will not pay Splitter. This is not some division 2 team in Greece. Big clubs pay players plus give them other things. When do Spurs give free sports car, free yacth and free Mediterranean villa to best players of team like PAO and Olympiacos do?

How many 6 and 7 year long guaranteed contracts are being signed in the Spanish League? At most Tau is offering a 2 year deal, trying to capitalize on the rookie scale that Splitter would face if he signed with the Spurs. But the payoff long term is in the NBA.

And again, what NBA stars or even moderately good players are opting to play in Europe?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
You don't get much out of Greece, do you?

He is more know in Europe than Spurs players is. As I say it seem NBA fans is live in 1990s not now. I am try explain simple things here why player like Tiago will do what he do. 10 years ago he would have join Spurs and not even be issue. Things are different now.

This remind me of same exact way Americans talk about Team USA like it is same as 1996 and US team in truth is just one of better teams now nothing more.

Honest truth is Euroleague is only 2nd to NBA because they have verry bad management and promotion and must compete with soccer which is much harder than compete with football or baseball in US.

If Euroleague had commissioner like Stern it would probably overtake NBA.

Holt's Cat
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
rofl.

mathbzh
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
You can ask almost any person of Europe who is Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and they will explain who they are.

Probably true for Jordan... not too sure for Bird and Magic

Ask any person on street in Europe who is Dirk or who is Manu and they will have no idea and they will probable not know Kobe or Lebron either

True

Probably true in Greece... but absolutly not in France.
Actually in France people know who is Parker (mostly because his wife is famous) and maybe who are Diaw, Shaq... maybe Kobe or Iverson... and a bunch of superstar (no Duncan here sorry :( ). Nobody know who are Papaloukas, Sarunas... and the other Euroleague stars.
Some may remember about Daccoury, Bilba or Rigaudeau... (old french stars) and that's all.

But to be fair, basketball is a minor sport in France and the "Pro A" is a weak league, so the situation can't be compared with Greece, Spain or Russia.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:41 AM
The old USA Dream Team with Shaq, Jordan, Bird, Magic, would have destroyed any team today anywhere in the world.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
So ignorant Greeks don't keep up with the rest of the world. Duly noted.

You is stupid person nothing more. NBA is barely even notice in Europe. I not just talk about Greece. I have family in several country and same thing there. In Lithuania or Spain NBA have maybe a little bit of viewers. Just little bit. In other countries no one care at all.

Compare to how popular NBA was in Europe in 80s or 90s is like big joke. You are just stupid fool if you believe otherwise.

Indazone
05-29-2008, 10:43 AM
The quality of NBA players today isn't like it was in the Jordan era.

mystargtr34
05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
It shows you how great the almight D-League is when Mahinmi couldnt get on the court in the French league yet he averages 20 and 10 here.

He has potential.. but hes years away.

Tiago was our man.