View Full Version : Stein: League acknowledges Spurs' Barry was fouled

Pages : [1] 2

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2008, 09:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3416412

League acknowledges Spurs' Barry was fouled
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The league office on Wednesday reviewed the final play of the San Antonio Spurs' 93-91 home loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals and acknowledged that a two-shot foul should have been called on Derek Fisher for impeding Brent Barry.

After falling behind by seven points in the final minute, San Antonio sliced the deficit to two and regained possession with 2.1 seconds to play.

Barry then wound up with the ball in the center of the floor on a play called for Manu Ginobili and faked Fisher in the air but struggled to get off a 3-point heave at the buzzer after Fisher came down and bumped Barry.

"With the benefit of instant replay, it appears a foul call should have been made," league spokesman Tim Frank said Wednesday.

The miss sealed an L.A. victory that moved the Lakers into a commanding 3-1 series lead entering Thursday's Game 5 at Staples Center.

But the Spurs did not protest the non-call afterward, even though a foul called before the shot would have sent Barry to the line for two free throws and a chance to force overtime.

The non-call nonetheless generated more than the usual scrutiny because the closest referee to the play was Joey Crawford, with whom San Antonio has a contentious recent history.

"That play," Barry said, "was not where the game was lost."

The Spurs, in truth, wouldn't have had a chance to tie or win the game in the final two seconds if not for a fortuitous non-call on the previous possession.

Television replays indicated that Fisher's shot with 6.9 seconds to go grazed the rim before bouncing out of bounds off of Robert Horry's leg, meaning that the Lakers should have had a new shot clock instead of asking Kobe Bryant to hurry a fadeaway jumper after the ensuing timeout.

The new shot clock likely would have forced San Antonio to foul Bryant as opposed to getting the ball back off Bryant's miss to draw up a potential game-winning play.

"It wasn't a foul. ... I think it was a proper no-call from what I saw," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Fisher bumping Barry.

Added Spurs forward Tim Duncan: "You're not going to get that call. They're not going to make that call."

The Lakers were likewise adamant that no foul should have been called on Fisher, pointing at least in part to the fact that they didn't get a new shot clock on the Fisher miss -- and that Bryant didn't earn a single trip to the free-throw line despite attempting 29 shots from the field.

"Yeah, he bumped him," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said of Fisher landing on Barry. "You know, games go like that."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Holt's Cat
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Rofl. Roflrorlfofofrorlrorlllroflfo

Amuseddaysleeper
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
WTF

So can we do a replay with free throw a la' Hawks/Heat?

jk, but still.

Harry Callahan
05-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Duh. Does a lot of good now. Thanks NBA. Keep your official with an axe to grind at home next time.

timvp
Thanks for twisting the knife, NBA :tu

Trainwreck2100
After all that bullshit from Laker fans

Russ
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
How many times will the league publicly slap Joey's wrist before they stop assigning him to Spurs games?:depressed

TampaDude
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
WTF

So can we do a replay with free throw a la' Hawks/Heat?

jk, but still.

Yeah, that would be funny as hell... :lol

Emanuel20
05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank you Joey! Thank you Stern!
You sure want us to go on vacation sooner than planned!

TampaDude

+1

TheProfessor
What a laughingstock this league has become.

ipeefreely
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=Spurs Brazil;2554348]http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3416412

By Marc SteinESPN.com

The league office on Wednesday reviewed the final play of the San Antonio Spurs' 93-91 home loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals and acknowledged that a two-shot foul should have been called on Derek Fisher for impeding Brent Barry.

==============================

hahahahahahahaha

Your own coach said he wouldnt have called it...

aside from that, why dont you ponder this MYOPIAN...

Kobe never reached the charity stripe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not once..

Duncan took 27 steps on that one play......

Fish's shot did hit the rim, which would have given them the ball back and a 2 point lead...

U see dipsh!t it all evens out in the end, nut up and accept...

What a tool:king

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Wow! So when does Barry get to shoot the FTs?

What? He doesn't?

clubalien
05-28-2008, 09:32 PM
it says with the benfits of instant replay?
but don't buzzer beating shots auto have instant reply in the nba now

TampaDude
05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Foul or no foul, the Spurs played like shit in Game 4 and deserved to lose...now they have to win 3 in a row to advance to the Finals...not an impossible task, but still a very difficult one.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Spurs Brazil;2554348]http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3416412

By Marc SteinESPN.com

hahahahahahahaha

Fish's shot did hit the rim, which would have given them the ball back and a 2 point lead...

Not the point, there a bizzilion page thread on Laker fans saying there wasn't a foul when the OFFICIAL RULING is that there was.

milkyway21
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Russ
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Ironically, this may damage what small chance the Spurs have of winning Game 5 (by causing the Game 5 refs to "rally round" the refs who were chastized for screwing the Spurs).

TampaDude
05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
it says with the benfits of instant replay?
but don't buzzer beating shots auto have instant reply in the nba now

The only thing they can review with the instant replay is whether or not a buzzer beater left the shooters' hand in time. They cannot review calls or non-calls by the refs.

SRJ
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM

ipeefreely
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=ipeefreely;2554383]

Not the point, there a bizzilion page thread on Laker fans saying there wasn't a foul when the OFFICIAL RULING is that there was.

The point is from my post even if there was(and your own coach said there wasnt) that Timmy traveled on that shot, Fish's shot did hit the rim and Kobe didint jack one ball from the charity stripe......

That is the POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat it, enjoy it, know it!:lobt2:

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=Trainwreck2100;2554407]

The point is from my post even if there was(and your own coach said there wasnt) that Timmy traveled on that shot, Fish's shot did hit the rim and Kobe didint jack one ball from the charity stripe......

That is the POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat it, enjoy it, know it!:lobt2:

And after all that, the league only acknowledges that Barry was fouled. :downspin:

mrsmaalox
05-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Shit happens :grim:

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Shit happens :grim:

but but he traveled???

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
What Lakers fan is saying there wasn't contact? There was contact, but no foul was called. No one expected a foul to be called. No one.

The last thing any referee wants to do is decide the game on a last second foul call. No one is disputing that unwritten rule. Not even your own players. You can go through the annals of time and recollect numerous plays where the offensive player drives through the lane in the last second, gets his wrist slapped or his head knocked and no foul is called. It happens to Lebron James, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan.

Well, maybe not Tim Duncan. They should've thrown it in to him. They would've called a handchecking foul or something.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, I guess it's a step in the right direction that they at least acknowledged it.

I am tired of the bullshit surrounding 99% of the media however on ESPN/TNT, etc proclaiming it was the right call, when they know full well that if that happened to Kobe Bryant their viewpoint would have changed dramatically. But I guess you can't really control the media.

ChumpDumper
Looks like the groundwork has been laid for a new instant replay rule.

Huzzah.

PwrGetter
The possesion before that shouldve been laker ball with 24 on the shot clock regardless. There's not many people who deny that it wasn't a foul.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
What Lakers fan is saying there wasn't contact? There was contact, but no foul was called. No one expected a foul to be called. No one.

So if the situation were reversed and that same exact play happened to Kobe or Fisher, Laker fans wouldn't have expected a foul to be called? :lmao

mrsmaalox
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, I guess it's a step in the right direction that they at least acknowledged it.

I am tired of the bullshit surrounding 99% of the media however on ESPN/TNT, etc proclaiming it was the right call, when they know full well that if that happened to Kobe Bryant their viewpoint would have changed dramatically. But I guess you can't really control the media.

For sure Kobe, at the Staples Center, would get the call.

Russ
05-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Looks like the groundwork has been laid for a new instant replay rule.

Huzzah.

The first implementation of which will be to screw the Spurs. :lol :lol

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 09:50 PM
The possesion before that shouldve been laker ball with 24 on the shot clock regardless. There's not many people who deny that it wasn't a foul.

Missed calls are part of the course of the game. It's not the referrees jobs to have "make up calls" for previous missed calls. If you go play by play throughout the entire course of the game for 48 minutes, I bet you'll find that more often than not those types of missed calls essentially balance out.

This thing has nothing to do with previous plays and everything to do with the absolute final play. Spurs did not deserve to win, Lakers definitely outplayed them for 48 minutes. But don't tell me that defenders can now pump fake and jump on a jumpshooter in the final seconds of a game and expect to not be called for a foul. I've seen plenty of worse ticky-tack fouls called in the final minutes of games (2006 vs Mavs comes to mind).

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:50 PM

show me the link where the league acknowledges that

milkyway21
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM

from the Laker fans' biased, blindsided, point of view.

whatever.

----> *

Don_In_Redondo

What? He doesn't?

Right after L.A. takes the ball in with :05.2 and the shot clock turned off. Then you commit an intentional foul to stop the clock; the Lakers attempt two free throws, then you call time out and get the ball at mid-court.

Then you can have the two free throws.:rollin

Mamba24

Exactly. All the media assholes conveniently aren't discussing Fisher's shot hitting the rim because they wanna drive the point home of a conspiracy that puts the Celtics and Lakers in the Finals. And honestly, Kobe has been hacked worse than what happened to Barry and it hasn't been called. Kobe would not have gotten that call. Now, a flopper like Ginobili would have sold it better and perhaps would have gotten the whistle. Most Laker fans know Fisher fouled Barry, much like we know, we should have not been put in that position because the three blind mice failed to see a shot hit the rim. Game 4 was by far the worst officiated game of the series which the vast majority of the calls going in San Antonio's favor.

show me the link where the league acknowledges that It's interesting that the league didn't look into that....I would imagine Laker folks are going to send that into the office to have them take a look at it. It clearly grazed the front of the rim, it went straight down right off of Horry's foot. Also, the Lakers should ask for the league to take a look at Manu's "3 point basket" which was clearly a 2 point shot.

greenroom
05-28-2008, 09:53 PM

The last thing any referee wants to do is decide the game on a last second foul call. No one is disputing that unwritten rule. Not even your own players. You can go through the annals of time and recollect numerous plays where the offensive player drives through the lane in the last second, gets his wrist slapped or his head knocked and no foul is called. It happens to Lebron James, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan.

Well, maybe not Tim Duncan. They should've thrown it in to him. They would've called a handchecking foul or something.

The problem with your idea in bold is the referee still decided the game, by not calling a foul. So your logic of that the referee does not want to decide the game is impossible. IF he does blow the whistle one team benifits and if he does not the other team benifits.

I am not saying that it is right or wrong, but don't say the refs don't want to decide the game, because they still do.

Don_In_Redondo
05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
So if the situation were reversed and that same exact play happened to Kobe or Fisher, Laker fans wouldn't have expected a foul to be called? :lmao

I'm sure a lot would. I for one, wouldn't. I also would have acknowledged Fish or Kobe traveling before the contact.

lefty
05-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Fuck Stern (see my Sig)

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Exactly. All the media assholes conveniently aren't discussing Fisher's shot hitting the rim because they wanna drive the point home of a conspiracy that puts the Celtics and Lakers in the Finals. And honestly, Kobe has been hacked worse than what happened to Barry and it hasn't been called. Kobe would not have gotten that call. Now, a flopper like Ginobili would have sold it better and perhaps would have gotten the whistle. Most Laker fans know Fisher fouled Barry, much like we know, we should have not been put in that position because the three blind mice failed to see a shot hit the rim. Game 4 was by far the worst officiated game of the series which the vast majority of the calls going in San Antonio's favor.

Says the guy who didn't read the article.

timvp
05-28-2008, 09:55 PM
If the roles were reversed and someone on the Lakers got fouled at the buzzer, Laker Fan would be crying uncontrollably. Laker Fan would be throw ever asterisk in the known universe at the Spurs win while their moms wiped away tears.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM

They just verified what any reasonable person thought about the sequence.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
It's interesting that the league didn't look into that....I would imagine Laker folks are going to send that into the office to have them take a look at it. It clearly grazed the front of the rim, it went straight down right off of Horry's foot. Also, the Lakers should ask for the league to take a look at Manu's "3 point basket" which was clearly a 2 point shot.

Yes, it was so "clearly a 2" that it was called a three

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
The worst thing about that game last night is despite the Lakers playing brilliant basketball for 47 minutes all that will be remembered in the game is that last fucking call.

I can honestly say that was the best game the Lakers have played all season long and it's a shame the refs had to be so shitty on both ends of the floor. Both teams got screwed by the refs last night and if the NBA has learned anything it's that Joey Crawford should never ref another NBA game in his life. That man is a disaster and drama always seems to follow his bald head.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
If the roles were reversed and someone on the Lakers got fouled at the buzzer, Laker Fan would be crying uncontrollably. Laker Fan would be throw ever asterisk in the known universe at the Spurs win while their moms wiped away tears.

TRAVEL!!!! He traveled i have video evidence.

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Says the guy who didn't read the article.

Not once have I heard the media (except Inside the NBA) acknowledge that the Spurs were given a gift by the refs for even having the opportunity to win the game.

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM

I thought about this today and I can't say I would disagree with you. I can't even say the Lakers have been on the receiving end of a bad call at the end of the game this entire season. Conspiracy, coincidence, I don't know. But I would probably be pissed off if the game ended like that, I can't deny it.

That being said, I felt the refs also a very big part of the reason the Spurs were even competitive in the game last night. They benefited from some serious home cookin' in that 1st quarter and whatever pts lost by that no-call would have been made up 10 fold by the Lakers if the game was officiated properly.

ipeefreely
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
The worst thing about that game last night is despite the Lakers playing brilliant basketball for 47 minutes all that will be remembered in the game is that last fucking call.

I can honestly say that was the best game the Lakers have played all season long and it's a shame the refs had to be so shitty on both ends of the floor. Both teams got screwed by the refs last night and if the NBA has learned anything it's that Joey Crawford should never ref another NBA game in his life. That man is a disaster and drama always seems to follow his bald head.

Yea its a shame that didnt see Timmys travel, Fish's shot hit the rim or the 20 hacks that Kobe got and ZERO trips to the FT line.....your right....

As ROME SAYS>>>>>>>

The Scoreboard never lies.......:lol

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, it was so "clearly a 2" that it was called a three

Yeah, just like Fisher clearly fouled Barry, and it wasn't called. Karma, bitch.

That being said, I felt the refs also a very big part of the reason the Spurs were even competitive in the game last night. They benefited from some serious home cookin' in that 1st quarter and whatever pts lost by that no-call would have been made up 10 fold by the Lakers if the game was officiated properly. QFT!

Russ
05-28-2008, 10:01 PM

:hat

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm still amazed that such a play did not cause the ref to blow his whistle.

All the other controversial missed calls were because of human fallability, and they happen all of the time.

The last sequence, though, is a foul 99% of the time, and they didn't call it. The refs saw it. Everybody saw it. It was obvious. Yet, the call wasn't made, and so:

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Crawford should never ref another game.

LakerLanny
05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=ipeefreely;2554438]

And after all that, the league only acknowledges that Barry was fouled. :downspin:

They don't even know their own rules, no surprise.

I guess it is OK to run with the ball now before you shoot. Barry did it, Duncan did it and no call.

How come no acknowledgement from the league that Parker's layin was NOT a goaltend, that Manu's 3 was NOT a 3 and that Fisher's shot DID hit the rim?

I think we all know the answer to those questions.

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Oh hell yeah. We'd be bitching and moaning about it too. We bitch and moan now about every missed call that occurs throughout the game. Every call which gives Odom or Fisher his 5th foul and sends them to the bench, unable to contribute. It's your right as a fan.

It doesn't change the fact that on those last second plays, the whistles rarely go off. You can argue that by not making the call, the refs are also deciding the game. Theoretically, yes. But in application, the league would much rather have the team design a play which releases a player for an opening, as opposed to putting the onus on the referees to bail anyone out.

A few years ago, Kobe Bryant drove through the lane with approximately 6 seconds left against Sacramento. There was contact and he missed the shot. Shaq followed up his shot and appeared to have been fouled by Divac, and also missed. The ball was then slapped back to the outside where Horry drained the last second, wide open 3. The league would rather see plays like that than to have Kobe and Shaq go to the free throw line with no time left.

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:06 PM

All the other controversial missed calls were because of human fallability, and they happen all of the time.

The last sequence, though, is a foul 99% of the time, and they didn't call it. The refs saw it. Everybody saw it. It was obvious. Yet, the call wasn't made, and so:

* You mean to tell me Duncan's blatant travel that Stevie Wonder could have seen was because of human fallability? Are you kidding me?
How quickly Spurs fans forget the exact same play happened last year in the Finals when Bowen blatantly pushed LeBron James in the back on the last play and it wasn't called.

Trainwreck2100
Not once have I heard the media (except Inside the NBA) acknowledge that the Spurs were given a gift by the refs for even having the opportunity to win the game.

Did you read the article, like this part

The Spurs, in truth, wouldn't have had a chance to tie or win the game in the final two seconds if not for a fortuitous non-call on the previous possession.

That's a guy in the media acknowledging it so what are you bitching about that only the inside the NBA guys said something. Unless Mark Stein is Ernies's stunt double.

Russ

The last sequence, though, is a foul 99% of the time, and they didn't call it. the refs saw it. Everybody saw it. It was obvious. Yet, the call wasn't made, and so:

Honestly, I think it was a borderline call.

(That said, the Lakers would get it every day of the week, especially at home. And if it were our Kobe, oh be steady my heart.) :lol :lol

LakerLanny
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Honestly, I think it was a borderline call.

(That said, the Lakers would get it every day of the week, especially at home. And if it were our Kobe, oh be steady my heart.) :lol :lol

Yeah, because Kobe is getting so many calls in this series. Right.

Do you even believe your own Bullshit?

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Trainwreck2100;2554451]

They don't even know their own rules, no surprise.

I guess it is OK to run with the ball now before you shoot. Barry did it, Duncan did it and no call.

How come no acknowledgement from the league that Parker's layin was NOT a goaltend, that Manu's 3 was NOT a 3 and that Fisher's shot DID hit the rim?

I think we all know the answer to those questions.

Because you can only use instant replay to review the final play. And Barry didn't travel the NBA said so.

Russ
05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah, because Kobe is getting so many calls in this series. Right.

Do you even believe your own Bullshit?

Cursing is a poor substitute for cleverness. :)

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm watching the Celtics play the Pistons as we discuss this. They just had a bad non-call against the Celtics.

Should they put an asterisk if the Celtics win it all this season?

Dumbass.

jcrod
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Oh hell yeah. We'd be bitching and moaning about it too. We bitch and moan now about every missed call that occurs throughout the game. Every call which gives Odom or Fisher his 5th foul and sends them to the bench, unable to contribute. It's your right as a fan.

It doesn't change the fact that on those last second plays, the whistles rarely go off. You can argue that by not making the call, the refs are also deciding the game. Theoretically, yes. But in application, the league would much rather have the team design a play which releases a player for an opening, as opposed to putting the onus on the referees to bail anyone out.

A few years ago, Kobe Bryant drove through the lane with approximately 6 seconds left against Sacramento. There was contact and he missed the shot. Shaq followed up his shot and appeared to have been fouled by Divac, and also missed. The ball was then slapped back to the outside where Horry drained the last second, wide open 3. The league would rather see plays like that than to have Kobe and Shaq go to the free throw line with no time left.

Are you talking about the series where on game 7 LA shot something like 40 freethrows in the 4th.

spursfan09
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm watching the Celtics play the Pistons as we discuss this. They just had a bad non-call against the Celtics.

Dumbass.

:lol if ya'll win, who cares if the they discredit it because of the Barry no call. I wouldn't care at all. Are you that insecure?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Ironically, this may damage what small chance the Spurs have of winning Game 5 (by causing the Game 5 refs to "rally round" the refs who were chastized for screwing the Spurs).

If anything I could see the refs having marching orders for game 5 to make it up to the Spurs.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:15 PM
You mean to tell me Duncan's blatant travel that Stevie Wonder could have seen was because of human fallability? Are you kidding me?
How quickly Spurs fans forget the exact same play happened last year in the Finals when Bowen blatantly pushed LeBron James in the back on the last play and it wasn't called.

Duncan did not travel. He took two giant steps. It's an awkward play that you never see and so it may have seemed like a walk. But Look at it a second time. You are misinterpreting the play.

As for the Lebron play - no similarity between that and this. You're blind if you're confusing the two. The fact that you are tells me I shouldn't even be havingthis debate with you - you're eyesight is clearly impaired.

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
:lol if ya'll win, who cares if the they discredit it because of the Barry no call. I wouldn't care at all. Are you that insecure?

It was a commentary on the rationale being applied by someone in this thread. Not about the legitimacy of any win.

But I'm sure you knew that.

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Your sight is impaired. You are seeing things through Spur colored glasses. Duncan took three steps to geto the the basket. I am not misinterpreting shit. How can you honestly sit there and say that Bowen didn't foul James? Go look at the youtube clip of Bowen nearly shoving James to the floor.

J.T.
05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
This is gonna come full fucking circle when Manu drills a game winner in Game 7 in LA over Derek Fisher with .3 on the clock.

Don_In_Redondo
05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=LakerLanny;2554574]

Because you can only use instant replay to review the final play. And Barry didn't travel the NBA said so.

I saw nothing in that article where the NBA rep said Barry didn't travel.

They also said nothing about Duncan's travel.

Nor the moon landing in 1969.

Using your logic, those events didn't happen either, because NBA said so:lol

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Are you talking about the series where on game 7 LA shot something like 40 freethrows in the 4th.

I'm not sure if it was the year before or the year after - or even that year. It's those damn back to back to backs.

You're lucky you don't have that problem.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM

Dumbass.

No, because bad non-calls throughout the course of the game are going to be made. No game is perfect. If you go through one by one by one every foul that is called in a playoff game, in the end it usually balances out.

But to not call a very blatant non foul at the END OF A GAME is absolutely unheard of. Even the league went on record to say it should have been a 2 shot foul. I can't understand why people are still arguing this? You CANNOT jump on a player as he attempts a shot. Period.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Your sight is impaired. You are seeing things through Spur colored glasses. Duncan took three steps to geto the the basket. I am not misinterpreting shit. How can you honestly sit there and say that Bowen didn't foul James? Go look at the youtube clip of Bowen nearly shoving James to the floor.

You're blind. I'm done with you. The fact that you'e bringing the Lebron play into the equation and think that Duncan traveled is retarded.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Trainwreck2100;2554599]

I saw nothing in that article where the NBA rep said Barry didn't travel.

They also said nothing about Duncan's travel.

Nor the moon landing in 1969.

Using your logic, those events didn't happen either, because NBA said so:lol

If you read up on your history here, Laker Lanny believes that Barry traveled so there was no foul because he traveled before the foul. So if there was a foul, that means there was no traveling violation. When did the nba say anything about the moon landing?

50 cent
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
If anything I could see the refs having marching orders for game 5 to make it up to the Spurs.

As soon as Pop came out yesterday and was so calm saying "it wasn't a foul", I was thinking that he had probably already had a call with Stern and Stern probably promised it would be made up in LA.

Hell, Pop was even out late to the press conference.

Commissioner Stern
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
No, because bad non-calls throughout the course of the game are going to be made. No game is perfect. If you go through one by one by one every foul that is called in a playoff game, in the end it usually balances out.

But to not call a very blatant non foul at the END OF A GAME is absolutely unheard of. Even the league went on record to say it should have been a 2 shot foul. I can't understand why people are still arguing this? You CANNOT jump on a player as he attempts a shot. Period.

And yet no player says it should've been called. There's a disconnect between you and reality.

missmyzte
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
It's funny to hear people say that Kobe would have gotten that call because he gets sooooo many calls ... how many free throws has he shot in this series??

baseline bum
Flagrant two and a replay if it was Kobe shooting that shit.

Ronaldo McDonald
You can't jump on a player.

Lebron's situation was MUCH MUCH less blatant. Stuff like that we see all of the time, yes or no? YES.

But, how often do you see a dude get jumped on and no call?

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
You can't jump on a player.

Lebron's situation was MUCH MUCH less blatant. Stuff like that we see all of the time, yes or no? YES.

But, how often do you see a dude get jumped on and no call?

How often do you see the NBA come out and refute the call?

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
It's funny to hear people say that Kobe would have gotten that call because he gets sooooo many calls ... how many free throws has he shot in this series??

You're forgetting he's guarded by one of the best defensive players the league has ever seen.

And, in game 3 he was given an and 1 off of a 3 make towards the end of the game - a tic tac foul (if there even was one) that nowhere near compares to the one we all saw yesterday.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
How often do you see the NBA come out and refute the call?

:toast

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
And yet no player says it should've been called. There's a disconnect between you and reality.

What fuckin player are you talking about? You think a Laker player is going to say, "Yea that's a call that should have been made"

And you're nuts and obviously no NOTHING about the Spurs organization if you think they will EVER come out in public and bitch about this non call.

I am completely over this. Laker fans and non-Spurs fans would be pissed off mightily if this had happened to their team and they know it.

As for those Lakerfans bemoaning the missed calls previously made; All I have to tell this is this, Big deal. Missed calls are part of the game both ways, but does this mean it's ok for defenders to foul and jump on players at the end of games and expect a noncall everytime because refs can now "makeup" previously missed calls this way?

missmyzte
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
You're forgetting he's guarded by one of the best defensive players the league has ever seen.
No, I'm not. I know what a great defensive player Bowen is, but just pointing out that Kobe isn't D-Wade. Players don't get called for fouls just by looking at him, he earns the foul calls.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Anyways, to get back on topic, I am surprised and content that the League actually had the balls to come out in public, on record and admit a mistake was made.

Russ
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM

The Spurs are consciously backing off him -- like they did with CP3 in the last series. Let him get his, they say.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
No, I'm not. I know what a great defensive player Bowen is, but just pointing out that Kobe isn't D-Wade. Players don't get called for fouls just by looking at him, he earns the foul calls.

And Brent Barry didn't earn the foul call at the end of the game?

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Anyways, to get back on topic, I am surprised and content that the League actually had the balls to come out in public, on record and admit a mistake was made.

Same here.

caliraven
05-28-2008, 10:32 PM
One * deserves another.

missmyzte
05-28-2008, 10:32 PM
I am completely over this. Laker fans and non-Spurs fans would be pissed off mightily if this had happened to their team and they know it.
If the situation were reversed, you're right and every Laker fan would be furious. However, if Barry had gotten the foul and made the free throws and won the game, every Laker fan would be in an uproar about the missed call on the previous play. Laker fans have a right to be upset about that missed call, Spurs fans have a right to be upset about their missed call. Just because the Lakers managed to come out with the W, doesn't mean that it wasn't a legitimately missed call. We just aren't complaining because the Lakers did get the win.

missmyzte
05-28-2008, 10:33 PM
And Brent Barry didn't earn the foul call at the end of the game?
No, he did. Just saying it wouldn't have been called differently had that been Kobe instead of Barry.

1Parker1
05-28-2008, 10:35 PM
No, he did. Just saying it wouldn't have been called differently had that been Kobe instead of Barry.

I'm almost 99% sure if that had been Kobe, that foul would have been called. Hell, if it had been Ginobili, that foul would have been called.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:35 PM
If the situation were reversed, you're right and every Laker fan would be furious. However, if Barry had gotten the foul and made the free throws and won the game, every Laker fan would be in an uproar about the missed call on the previous play. Laker fans have a right to be upset about that missed call, Spurs fans have a right to be upset about their missed call. Just because the Lakers managed to come out with the W, doesn't mean that it wasn't a legitimately missed call. We just aren't complaining because the Lakers did get the win.

A missed call (which happen on hard to see plays that you really can't blame the refs for as they're only human) is totally different from a bad call (which basically happen when a blatant play is made and the refs fell to make the appropriate call ie. last play)

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, one bad non-call deserves another. Let's focus on Game 5 now.

picnroll
05-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Joey Crawford should never be permitted to referee another Spurs' game if the NBA had any integrity.

Russ
05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Nobody actually said that -- just that Kobe would have got that call at Staples in that situation in the WCF. (Which, in any event, I think was borderline at best). :)

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Joey Crawford should never be permitted to referee another Spurs' game if the NBA had any integrity.

How about no more NBA games, period? He fucked the Lakers out of a number of calls last night as well.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, one bad non-call deserves another. Let's focus on Game 5 now.

Don't forget to take this along with you:

wildbill2u
05-28-2008, 10:41 PM

No one wants a game decided by a foul call. But since players know that the refs are going to lay off, it gives players the red light to foul in the closing minutes of games, doesnt it.

I can think of one no-call that probably cost a team a championship. When Chicago-Utah played the 7th game, M. Jordan (the Messiah) pushed the Utah defender (Russell) out of the way so hard with his off hand that the guy stumbled backward. Jordan made a last second jump shot for the win.

Jordan knew he'd get away with it because he knew the 'unwritten rule'--and he had something else going for him--he was a superstar. Was it fair for the refs to lay off making that call?

YellowFever
05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Nobody actually said that -- just that Kobe would have got that call at Staples in that situation in the WCF. (Which, in any event, I think was borderline at best). :)

Kobe?

Sure he would have gotten the call.

Ginobili?

Yep.

Would a Sasha or a Farmar have gotten that call?

I doubt it.

picnroll
05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
How about no more NBA games, period? He fucked the Lakers out of a number of calls last night as well.
Want to compare records of playoff games hat Joey Crawford has refed of Lakers and Spurs?

Ronaldo McDonald
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm done with this bullshit. Laker fans will continue to delude themselves into thinking that they won a fairly called game no matter what sort of reasoning/evidence that you bring to the table.

I'm out. Fuck that call.

With that said, GO SPURS GO. Win game #5 and you make it a series again, guys.

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Don't forget to take this along with you:

If the situation was reversed, and Barry hit the game winning shot after the gift possession you guys got, I would give you guys an * as well. Crawford kept the Spurs in the game in the 1st half.

Russ
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Kobe?

Sure he would have gotten the call.

Ginobili?

Yep.

Would a Sasha or a Farmar have gotten that call?

I doubt it.

Exactly, that 's the only point I was making (not that Kobe has been to the free throw line a lot in this seriees as some tried to claim). :)

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm done with this bullshit. Laker fans will continue to delude themselves into thinking that they won a fairly called game no matter what sort of reasoning/evidence that you bring to the table.

I'm out. Fuck that call.

With that said, GO SPURS GO. Win game #5 and you make it a series again, guys.
You brought one fucking call to the table where I can bring up a slew of calls in the SPURS favor that kept them in the ball game. So, please stop your bitching.

gospursgojas
05-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Fuck being a crybaby.

Maybe if Pop actually held the refs accountable for calling a fair game, instead of "not making excuses", the league would stop fucking the Spurs.

picnroll
05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
You brought one fucking call to the table where I can bring up a slew of calls in the SPURS favor that kept them in the ball game. So, please stop your bitching.

Phil is that you?

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Fuck being a crybaby.

Maybe if Pop actually held the refs accountable for calling a fair game, instead of "not making excuses", the league would stop fucking the Spurs.

LOL

If letting Duncan tapdance to the hoop from the foul line, a legit block by Odom being called a goaltend, no signal to reset the shotclock after Fisher hit the rim, and Kobe not shooting a single freethrow in spite of being guarded by the most physical (and best) perimeter defender on the planet is your definition of "fucking the Spurs" then you are seriously fucked in the head there buddy :lmao:lmao:lmao

Mamba24
05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Fuck being a crybaby.

What? A team who was won 4 titles in the last 9 years has been getting fucked by the league? Fuck outta here with that nonsensical bullshit. Duncan's balls are coddled and massaged by the referees every time he goes into the lane. Ginobili and Parker get away with blatant travels at least 6 times (each) a game, and you are complaining about getting fucked?

cherylsteele
05-28-2008, 10:52 PM
I immediately thought it was a foul on Fisher.

Although the previous possession the Lakers' shot did hit the rim, I honestly saw that right away, what I was not sure about was who touched the ball last.

What caused the Spurs to lose was that they came out and dug themselves a hole, and were utterly pathetic on the boards in the 1st half. The Lakers were getting way too many second chance points...which is a key part of good "D". Getting beat on the boards like that will kill your chances almost all of the time.

gospursgojas
05-28-2008, 10:53 PM
What? A team who was won 4 titles in the last 9 years has been getting fucked by the league? Fuck outta here with that nonsensical bullshit. Duncan's balls are coddled and massaged by the referees every time he goes into the lane. Ginobili and Parker get away with blatant travels at least 6 times (each) a game, and you are complaining about getting fucked?

Yes

DieMrBond
05-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Doesn't help us to 2-2.
(Assuming of course, that Brent hits the FT's, either the 2 or the 3)

But yes, it was nice (if ineffectual).

KobeOwnsBowen
05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
What a bunch of whiners these spurs fans are. We own you guys but Joey kept you in all game long. Than you blame him for the loss even though you shouldn't have been in the game at the end.

ecksodia
05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
@Commissioner Stern.

I agree.. Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, et al do not get that call.. BUT NOT DWYANE WADE! Game 5 of the '06 finals!

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Honestly I'm disappointed in *some* of you Spurs fans (happy now Samikeye?).

How any of you could honestly watch that game and think the refs handed that win to LA is beyond me. The entire game the Lakers were on the wrong side of the calls, that 1st quarter was absolutely atrocious officiating. I posted such in the game thread after the 1st quarter, and Phil Jackson was straight livid in his in-game interview. Whatever pts Barry could have gotten off of a potential call would have been negated by the litany of calls against the Lakers in the 1st quarter if the game were officiated fairly from the start.

The bottomline is any time you put yourself in a situation to have the refs decide the game you are going to be disappointed more often than not.

WCFBaby
05-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Joey Crawford....in trying to stay away from being accused of having an ax to grind with the Spurs....was afraid to blow his whistle all nigh long against the Spurs. If Joey calls a normal game Lakers win by 10-15 minimum.

SouthTexasRancher
05-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Mafiaoso Go'fer, David Stern and his gay boyfriend, BallLESS Joey Crawford, are going to give the LA Fakes another championship in order to repay Phil JackASS for allowing Rapist Kobe to stay with LA. The good thing is now the LA Fakes will have their own *ASSterisk* for all eternity...ya gotta love it!

:lol ************** :lol

kobe_mvp_24
05-28-2008, 11:02 PM
u guys are just talking about fisher foul, what about the shot that fisher shot wit 6.9, we were suppose to get a new sot clock so you see refs were messed up in that game so it evens out at the end.

gospursgojas
05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
We allowed the league to lose its integrity within the officiating, when we accepted that certain players get certain calls.

The so called "Superstar Treatment" is now just something that is accepted around the league by players, coaches, referees, NBA brass, and fans.

A foul is a foul. A violation is a violation. Call them regardless of the player, time, or situation of the game!

Brutalis
05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
We taste how it feels for the Suns

ALL THE TIME

KobeOwnsBowen
05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Joey Crawford....in trying to stay away from being accused of having an ax to grind with the Spurs....was afraid to blow his whistle all nigh long against the Spurs. If Joey calls a normal game Lakers win by 10-15 minimum.
Agreed. Stern put him in a hard situation in such a huge game with in a hostile crowd. Gotta admire Crawford for coming back to the nba after getting unfairly cheated caused by Duncan's mocking of him.

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 11:05 PM
To be honest, I think the Spurs get the benefit of the doubt a lot from the refs. They have a reputation of being a lockdown defensive team and that goes a long way IMHO. Clearly you guys don't notice it because it's always been that way, but if you compare a team that doesn't have the reputation of being a defensive team they aren't allowed to get away with many ticky tack fouls.

Bob Lanier
05-28-2008, 11:06 PM
:lobt2: * = :lobt2:

Russ
05-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Joey Crawford....in trying to stay away from being accused of having an ax [sic] to grind with the Spurs....was afraid to blow his whistle all nigh [sic] long against the Spurs. If Joey calls a normal game Lakers win by 10-15 minimum.

Actually, you're right. Joey must have been thinking "I bend over backwards to call a fair game for the Spurs and this jumps up with 2 seconds left to publicly humiliate me. . . . Again." :lol :lol :lol

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Television replays indicated that Fisher's shot with 6.9 seconds to go grazed the rim before bouncing out of bounds off of Robert Horry's leg, meaning that the Lakers should have had a new shot clock instead of asking Kobe Bryant to hurry a fadeaway jumper after the ensuing timeout.

KobeOwnsBowen
05-28-2008, 11:10 PM

End thread. :king

SouthTexasRancher
05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
u guys are just talking about fisher foul, what about the shot that fisher shot wit 6.9, we were suppose to get a new sot clock so you see refs were messed up in that game so it evens out at the end.

Like the LA Fakes Derek Fisher's .04 second shot that has been proven to be impossible the way the play played out. Nothing like lucking out with a slow clock operator. But, no need for you Fakes fans to worry because you'll be getting your gift from Missy Stern....your very own *ASSterisk* for all eternity. Enjoy!

:ihit ************** :ihit

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 11:11 PM

The league didn't say that :downspin:

gospursgojas
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Agreed. Stern put him in a hard situation in such a huge game with in a hostile crowd. Gotta admire Crawford for coming back to the nba after getting unfairly cheated caused by Duncan's mocking of him.

Like he did the NBA a favor by coming back :lol

Tyler_Durden
05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I recently made a very short film called, "The NBA."

It consists solely of one guy driving in for a dunk, 2 other guys standing completely still under the basket, never moving, and one guy with a whistle in his mouth in the background.

Once the ball is convincingly slammed through the hoop, the guy with the whistle gives his whistle a short sudden blow, and the guys under the basket raise their hands and look at the whistle blower guy in disgust.

The end.

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Perhaps the Spurs could have been just a little more ruthless and protested the call. Not that it would have mattered, but we do seem to have toughness "gap" sometimes.

You think PJ would have just rolled over if the situation was reversed? Or Pat Riley? Red Auerbach?

I'm almost as pissed by the Spurs reaction to this travesty as I am to the blown call itself. F that "we didn't deserve to win" BS.

The Spurs got outplayed for most of the game but we still played well enough to put themselves in a position to win. But the refs (by virtue of the blown call) did not even allow us to get a decent shot off.

nba_fan89
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM

:king

END OF STORY, IF THE LEAUGE WANTS TO POINT OUT ONE BAD FOUL IN THE GAME THEN POINT OUT EVERY BAD CALL IN THE GAME.

NOthing said about Tim Duncans amazing glide from the 3 point line to the rim

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
The refs were the only reason the Spurs were IN that game.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 11:19 PM
:king

END OF STORY, IF THE LEAUGE WANTS TO POINT OUT ONE BAD FOUL IN THE GAME THEN POINT OUT EVERY BAD CALL IN THE GAME.

you're not the league, the governing body acknowledges one and only one missed call all the rest in its opinion were fine

nba_fan89
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Fact of the matter is Lakers got the "W" without the bad officiating Spurs wouldn't have even had a chance to tie. So hey it helped the Spurs in a way then came back to bite them in the ass

gospursgojas
05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm tired of people saying the Lakers deserved to win bc they played so much better than the spurs. Well they only won by 2 so they didn't play that much better. As the score would indicate. So thats just a cop out argument.

Also tired of people saying you never want a ref to decide a game. Well a no-call decideds a game as much as a call, so that also is a stupid argument.

LakerRings
05-28-2008, 11:42 PM
love how no one reads the second paragraph.

pawe
05-28-2008, 11:46 PM
They said, Barry can shoot the FTs on the first game next season. Get over it already, if the Spurs lose then take it like a man but if they win...hell yeah, we will be shitting on Lakerfans for choking a 3-1 series lead.

spurscenter
05-28-2008, 11:49 PM
i love when people go

" The Spurs got all the calls" "so its ok that they didnt call the last one"

WTF? thats idiotic.

A foul is a foul in any part of 48 minutes

carina_gino20
05-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I also don't buy the 'Spurs didn't deserve it' BS. Yes, they played like shit and gave up too many offensive rebounds. They also looked gassed there in the end but what do you know? They were only down 2 with seconds to go. They were right in the ball game so they deserved it alright.

I understand that refs are hesitant to call fouls on those kinds of play unless it's definitive. But that was way more than definitive. Even if it wasn't a continuation, Brent would've had a chance to tie the game. Then of course the NBA turns around and admits the mistake but won't do anything about it.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 11:51 PM
love how no one reads the second paragraph.

Who said nobody read it, that douchebag made it all big and its what you laker fans have been riding now that you're "he travelled" bullshit has been denounced. That being said, it's mark stein writing it, not official comments from the league.

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 11:51 PM
you're not the league, the governing body acknowledges one and only one missed call all the rest in its opinion were fine

The article mentions the shot clock fiasco. Since that's pretty much the only source to hear of the league's acknowlegement, the majority of Americans (most of whom you hate, you sound like an Obama-supporting Francophile) will side with the Lakers. WE win the PR war. You small market sissies lose again!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:lmao:bking:lmao:bking

:lobt2: <---- No el tuyo :nope

Tek_XX
05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
I think you can tell the difference between the Lakers and the Spurs here. The Lakers demanded the league review a flop by Sasha sdfklsjfd on Bowen and yet the Spurs are too decent to ask for an obvious blown call.

Dim Tuncan
05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I think you can tell the difference between the Lakers and the Spurs here. The Lakers ARE GOING TO THE FINALS and the Spurs ARE GOING TO CANCUN.

Fixed it for ya :lmao:bking:lmao:bking

:lobt2: <----- No el tuyo :nope

DazedAndConfused
05-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I think you can tell the difference between the Lakers and the Spurs here. The Lakers demanded the league review a flop by Sasha sdfklsjfd on Bowen and yet the Spurs are too decent to ask for an obvious blown call.

You clearly don't know your Spurs organization that well.

If there is any team that demands the league review plays it's the Spurs. Stu Jackson has Pop on speed dial.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 11:56 PM
The article mentions the shot clock fiasco. Since that's pretty much the only source to hear of the league's acknowlegement, the majority of Americans (most of whom you hate, you sound like an Obama-supporting Francophile) will side with the Lakers. WE win the PR war. You small market sissies lose again!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:lmao:bking:lmao:bking

:lobt2: <---- No el tuyo :nope

"With the benefit of instant replay, it appears a foul call should have been made," league spokesman Tim Frank said Wednesday.

Tim Frank acknowledges the call, Mark Stein gives his opinion. And as i've said before the only teams that out win a pr war against the Lakers wear orange or green.

Tek_XX
05-28-2008, 11:57 PM
You clearly don't know your Spurs organization that well.

If there is any team that demands the league review plays it's the Spurs. Stu Jackson has Pop on speed dial.

Link? Or are you just talking outta yer ass.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I find it strange that teh league would make that stupid statement when Barry and his coach said it was a good no call. Get over it you bastards...

and yet they did

whottt
05-29-2008, 02:13 AM

Horry said you forgot to take this out of his back:

http://www.kitchenknifedrawer.com/files/1696205/uploaded/K6615D.jpg

SnakeBoy
05-29-2008, 02:18 AM

There's not much to say about it. It was amazing! That boy has skill!:lol

Lakers Dynasty
05-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Is anybody else tired of talking about it?

Can we start the next game already?

whottt
05-29-2008, 02:33 AM

Click:
http://forums.lakersground.net/

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2008, 02:40 AM

Can we start the next game already?

Alas that you will not be here for said game

Lakers Dynasty
05-29-2008, 02:44 AM
Alas that you will not be here for said game

True enough. Graduation, and all.

However, there is the magic of TiVo.

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2008, 02:44 AM
True enough. Graduation, and all.

However, there is the magic of TiVo.

That and you're gonna be banned in about 20 minutes, best to focus on graduation anyway. And congratulations of course

Kobe24Forever
05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
"It wasn't a foul. ... I think it was a proper no-call from what I saw," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Fisher bumping Barry.

Added Spurs forward Tim Duncan: "You're not going to get that call. They're not going to make that call."

The Lakers were likewise adamant that no foul should have been called on Fisher, pointing at least in part to the fact that they didn't get a new shot clock on the Fisher miss -- and that Bryant didn't earn a single trip to the free-throw line despite attempting 29 shots from the field.

"Yeah, he bumped him," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said of Fisher landing on Barry. "You know, games go like that."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

I agree very much with these quotes, touch foul at best, you are never going to get those calls unless they paid out the refs, watch the replay and quit whinning, the refs did the right thing, let the players win the game, no play interference, nothing, barry could have drive a yard past fischer and hit the shot, he had time, but he choke so get over it.

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2008, 02:52 AM
I agree very much with these quotes, touch foul at best, you are never going to get those calls unless they paid out the refs, watch the replay and quit whinning, the refs did the right thing, let the players win the game, no play interference, nothing, barry could have drive a yard past fischer and hit the shot, he had time, but he choke so get over it.

I find this quote fascinating

Lakers Dynasty
05-29-2008, 02:53 AM
That and you're gonna be banned in about 20 minutes, best to focus on graduation anyway. And congratulations of course

I don't believe I'll be banned, unless you've confused me with somebody else.

But if you do ban me by mistake, I'll try to get over it.

Go Lakers!

whottt
05-29-2008, 02:53 AM

Idiot...it does not matter if Barry turned and was running away from Fisher as fast as he could, if Fisher hits him it is a foul you stupid fuck.

Geez you guys are stupid.

The fact that he got hit and while trying to avoid the contact makes it a more blatant foul, not a lesser one. IF you weren't an idiot you'd understand that.

Cue LakerFan posting the Jack (WALTON) Ramsey take:

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2008, 02:55 AM
I don't believe I'll be banned, unless you've confused me with somebody else.

But if you do ban me by mistake, I'll try to get over it.

Go Lakers!

I won't ban you, but its no mistake, you posted in the thread where if you post and you're a lakers fan you get banned for 24 hours

Lake_show
05-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Here's the problem.

NOT a goaltend

-Fishers shot hit the rim. Not disputable. Everyone knows it. It was a blown call in favor of the Spurs. Should have been a new 24 and 2 FTs for the Lakers.

-Odoms block was NOT goaltending. Again, not disputable, and everyone knows it. Should have been Lakers ball instead of 2 pts for the Spurs. Blown call in favor of the spurs.

The truth is the Spurs never should have had the chance to win the game in the first place because they had two blown calls in their favor in the last 20 seconds.

-jmill

cly2tw
05-29-2008, 05:12 AM
It was right call for how the game was called. This kind of "letting the players play" through all game is favoring teams like Spurs and Jazz. So, be grateful to the crew to give you the best chance to win in the first place! ;)

stealth21
05-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Enjoy your jaded win Laker fan......here have this: *

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Bottom line is you maggots wanted the refs to bail out Brent fuckin Barry. Uh no. Not this season or any other season. Great defensive play by Fisher, considering the final result.

Like Lakeshow said, the Lakers were shit out of 3 to 5 possible points in the final minute alone. Parker was awarded 2 points on an incredible shot block by Odom - 2 points. Manu's foot was on the line - 1 point. Fisher's shot hit the rim but was called an airball, giving the Spurs a 22 second advantage on the shotclock and eliminating what would've been a must-foul situation to give the Lakers possibly 2 points at the line.

Bottom line is the Lakers should've been up at very least 96-91 and possibly even 98-91. So deal with it. Derek Fisher simply owns whatever place the Spurs call home, baby.

And please with the Joey Crawford thing. Kobe's been to the line 6 times in the entire series!!!I don't think it's the Spurs who should be bitching about the referees.

Better luck next season because you crybaby Spurs fans swallow a dagger tonight.

carrecaminos
05-29-2008, 06:02 AM

By Marc SteinESPN.com

hahahahahahahaha

you are a bobcat fan? get a life and go troll to a nbdl team fan forum.

Strike
05-29-2008, 06:13 AM
How many times will the league publicly slap Joey's wrist before they stop assigning him to Spurs games?:depressed

How many times will they see shit like this before deciding it's time for Crawford to be put out to pasture?

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 06:16 AM
How many times will they see shit like this before deciding it's time for Crawford to be put out to pasture?Interesting that your sig has Derek Fisher crying, being that Fisher owns the Spurs fans. 0.4 had you dumbasses issuing a state of emergency and now a perfect defensive play on Brent Barry has you idiots up in arms again.

Strike
05-29-2008, 06:20 AM

How brilliant was their play if the Spurs, who played so poorly, were down by only 2 points with seconds to play?

Either the Spurs played better than they're getting credit for, or the Lakers didn't play as well as everyone seems to think.

Strike
05-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Interesting that your sig has Derek Fisher crying, being that Fisher owns the Spurs fans. 0.4 had you dumbasses issuing a state of emergency and now a perfect defensive play on Brent Barry has you idiots up in arms again.

change your team, asscock.

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 06:22 AM
How brilliant was their play if the Spurs, who played so poorly, were down by only 2 points with seconds to play?

Either the Spurs played better than they're getting credit for, or the Lakers didn't play as well as everyone seems to think.Spurs got 3 huge calls in the final minute that resulted in 3 points and a 22-second shot clock advantage. They were very lucky to even be that close. Doesn't matter though. Winning in that building by even a half-point is good enough. Back home for the closeout.

Strike
05-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Interesting that your sig has Derek Fisher crying, being that Fisher owns the Spurs fans. 0.4 had you dumbasses issuing a state of emergency and now a perfect defensive play on Brent Barry has you idiots up in arms again.

I never said Fisher's .4 shot shouldn't have counted. I never cried about the timekeepers or the Lakers getting a break or anything like that. The only thing I did say was that it was a lucky shot.

And explain to me exactly how Fisher owns the Spurs fans based on one lucky shot?

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
I never said Fisher's .4 shot shouldn't have counted. I never cried about the timekeepers or the Lakers getting a break or anything like that. The only thing I did say was that it was a lucky shot.

And explain to me exactly how Fisher owns the Spurs fans based on one lucky shot?By virtue of giving the Spurs what many-many Spurs fans called the worst loss in Spurs history, and then backing it up with ownage of Brent Barry the other night, I hereby declare Derek Fisher owner of the San Antonio Spurs and their fans.

How that "strike" you?

Supergirl
05-29-2008, 06:54 AM
What I don't understand is this: What is the point of having the league review plays, if when they decide a mistake was made they do nothing to remedy it? If a mistake WAS made - and the league is saying there was - shouldn't there be a replay of the final seconds? I mean, yikes, in a playoff game where the series is hanging on a brink, do they really want to go down having the game decided by a ref mistake? Let Barry take the shots, let the Lakers try and get off a final shot, and if the Spurs win, the series is tied. If the Lakers still win, so be it. On to Game 5. But at least the game would have been won honestly, by whoever the winner is. At this point, we've got a bigger * win than anything in NBA history.

As for all the other calls/noncalls fans are questioning - I saw plenty too, most in the Lakers favor. But I don't hear the league investigating any of those, so we have to defer to them since they're the final arbitrators.

Kobe24Forever
05-29-2008, 07:01 AM
I find this quote fascinating

similar case could be made for the Lakers, with the benefit of instant replay, barry would never have taken that shot, i blame the refs for nearly screwing it up for us.

manufor3
05-29-2008, 07:14 AM

What? He doesn't?

+1

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 07:19 AM
What I don't understand is this: What is the point of having the league review plays, if when they decide a mistake was made they do nothing to remedy it? If a mistake WAS made - and the league is saying there was - shouldn't there be a replay of the final seconds? I mean, yikes, in a playoff game where the series is hanging on a brink, do they really want to go down having the game decided by a ref mistake? Let Barry take the shots, let the Lakers try and get off a final shot, and if the Spurs win, the series is tied. If the Lakers still win, so be it. On to Game 5. But at least the game would have been won honestly, by whoever the winner is. At this point, we've got a bigger * win than anything in NBA history.

As for all the other calls/noncalls fans are questioning - I saw plenty too, most in the Lakers favor. But I don't hear the league investigating any of those, so we have to defer to them since they're the final arbitrators.The Spurs got 3 huge calls in the final minute alone that resulted in 3 free points and a 22-second shot-clock advantage. Not sure how you were counting, but it was by pure luck and bad refereeing that they even had a shot down 93-91. The Lakers are up 3-1 and 2 of their 3 wins have come with Duncan scoring 30/18 and 29/17. They're also up 3-1 despite the fact that Kobe Bryant has gotten to the line 6 (count them) times in the entire series.

That's an average of 1.75 times a game for a guy that's take 90 shots (with plenty drives to the bucket) in the series. Kobe's gotten 1 free throw for every 15 shot attempts he's taken. Here's a guy that averaged 9.5 free throws vs. the Nuggets (their defense sucks, I know) and 16 free throws a game vs. Utah (whoa). But he can only get to the line 1.75 times per game vs. the Spurs and Spurs fans have the nerve to bring up refereeing especially with the calls they got in their favor in the final minute of game 4? Be serious.

It's clear that the Lakers are simply the better team and the Spurs have been holding on by a thin thread the entire series. Unless the NBA calls for a sympathy game in which the Spurs are somehow granted 50 free throws on the Lakers court, this series is over.

SAGambler
05-29-2008, 07:44 AM
You can go through the annals of time and recollect numerous plays where the offensive player drives through the lane in the last second, gets his wrist slapped or his head knocked and no foul is called. It happens to Lebron James, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan.

Unless it's Dirk, whose team is still needing 1 pt to send the game 7 into overtime. Then it's called.

VinnyTestesVerde
05-29-2008, 08:06 AM
um...back to the subject at hand.

yes, the spurs had their chances to win the game and missed them. that's on the spurs. it shouldn't have come down to the last shot...

BUT IT DID.

If the Spurs are going to be held accountable for their executional ineptitude late in the game, WHY SHOULDN'T FISHER HAVE BEEN HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR BITING ON BARRY'S PUMP FAKE?

The league acknowledges it was wrong. There's no question Laker fans. You got away with murder Tuesday night.

MoSpur
05-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Adding salt to the wound. I really hope for a Spurs three-game win streak now more than ever.

cash459
05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
The Spurs got 3 huge calls in the final minute alone that resulted in 3 free points and a 22-second shot-clock advantage. Not sure how you were counting, but it was by pure luck and bad refereeing that they even had a shot down 93-91. The Lakers are up 3-1 and 2 of their 3 wins have come with Duncan scoring 30/18 and 29/17. They're also up 3-1 despite the fact that Kobe Bryant has gotten to the line 6 (count them) times in the entire series.

That's an average of 1.75 times a game for a guy that's take 90 shots (with plenty drives to the bucket) in the series. Kobe's gotten 1 free throw for every 15 shot attempts he's taken. Here's a guy that averaged 9.5 free throws vs. the Nuggets (their defense sucks, I know) and 16 free throws a game vs. Utah (whoa). But he can only get to the line 1.75 times per game vs. the Spurs and Spurs fans have the nerve to bring up refereeing especially with the calls they got in their favor in the final minute of game 4? Be serious.

It's clear that the Lakers are simply the better team and the Spurs have been holding on by a thin thread the entire series. Unless the NBA calls for a sympathy game in which the Spurs are somehow granted 50 free throws on the Lakers court, this series is over.

Well, lets see here.....kobe got to the line almost 10 times per game for the exact reason that you already stated; the nuggets defense sucks & is practically non-existent. He averaged 16 FTs against Utah, b/c they were the team that fouled the most the entire season, playoffs included.

The Spurs have one of the top 5 defenses in the league & you wonder why kobe isnt getting to the free throw line. Probably b/c they know how to play defense & stay in front of their man & not reach and foul. Take off the yellow & purple glasses & look at the FACTS (and since youre so into them, look at the STATS; ALL of them)

You want me to get you some knee pads to make it more comfortable for you while youre down there showing your "appreciation" for kobe

ambchang
05-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Even though I agree that should have been a no call (nobody in their right minds would make that call in the playoffs, especially in the WCF, especially when it was Brent Barry, and especially when he wasn't even attempting a shot), it is much better to have the league shut up about it, it's like pouring vinegar and salt with iodine in a gash.

That said, I am ready to see Hulk Ginobili, a pissed off Duncan in Game 5.

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Well, lets see here.....kobe got to the line almost 10 times per game for the exact reason that you already stated; the nuggets defense sucks & is practically non-existent. He averaged 16 FTs against Utah, b/c they were the team that fouled the most the entire season, playoffs included.

The Spurs have one of the top 5 defenses in the league & you wonder why kobe isnt getting to the free throw line. Probably b/c they know how to play defense & stay in front of their man & not reach and foul. Take off the yellow & purple glasses & look at the FACTS (and since youre so into them, look at the STATS; ALL of them)

You want me to get you some knee pads to make it more comfortable for you while youre down there showing your "appreciation" for kobeSorry clown, but not even the Spurs defense is that good. I just find it funny that Spurs fans even have the nerve to bitch about calls when your own coach said that it was a no call and that he wouldn't have called a foul on that play.

:blah <<--- Spurs fans

cash459
05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Sorry clown, but not even the Spurs defense is that good. I just find it funny that Spurs fans even have the nerve to bitch about calls when your own coach said that it was a no call and that he wouldn't have called a foul on that play.

if there are any "clowns" in here, its you ass-clown. I didnt bitch about it being a "no call" so get over yourself and pull your head out of your ass. But yes, the Spurs defense IS and can be that good.

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Uh no... the Spurs defense is so good that we blew your ass out by 30 last game in Staples. Get your fishing gear ready tonight, clown. You muthafuckas will be on the lake by midnight. Nice season.

VinnyTestesVerde
05-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Sorry clown, but not even the Spurs defense is that good. I just find it funny that Spurs fans even have the nerve to bitch about calls when your own coach said that it was a no call and that he wouldn't have called a foul on that play.

If Coach Pop were robbed at gun point, he would tell everyone that he should have put himself in a better position to defend himself.

If his dog got run over on purpose by a truck full of drunk Laker fans, he would take responsibility for putting the dog in a bad position.

Coach Pop makes no excuses, even to a fault. Unlike...say...Phil Jackson crying about the refs during the 1ST QUARTER INTERVIEW. :lmao

Kermit
05-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Uh no... I like to have my ass blown out by 30 men when attending games in Staples. Get your condoms ready tonight, clown. Muthafuckas will be in my ass by midnight. Nice season.

Spurminator
05-29-2008, 08:52 AM

No kidding.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-29-2008, 08:54 AM
This whole issue is settled for me at this point - i have said all that i wanted to say but its just hilarious how things can go wrong like that and the reaction of the league is kind of weird just to say the least. What are they going to do? LMAO!!! Fisher's shot hit the rim so that was the main reason they didn't want to make the call? LMAO

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 08:57 AM
If Coach Pop were robbed at gun point, he would tell everyone that he should have put himself in a better position to defend himself.

If his dog got run over on purpose by a truck full of drunk Laker fans, he would take responsibility for putting the dog in a bad position.

Coach Pop makes no excuses, even to a fault. Unlike...say...Phil Jackson crying about the refs during the 1ST QUARTER INTERVIEW. :lmaoOh don't act like Pop never bitches for calls, dude. He should've been ejected in the game where he was yelling in Crawford's face at the top of his lungs. Pop bitches for calls too..

SpurOutofTownFan
05-29-2008, 08:58 AM
The main problem with NBA nowadays isn't refs, it's the pathetic NBA scheduling. That's what kills series. Is there anything fan about having one team rested playing another non-rested team. This despite the fact some teams took longer to come through. Still, between series you need to have at least a couple days off so match ups are rather even.

The hornets series got to game 6 one day earlier than lakers/utah and then they decided to move game 7 to monday (4 days off) while the other series was being played every other day. Since there wasn't game 7 between utah and LA then the winner had more days of rest.

It's true those 4 days allowed the spurs to rest their players for the game 7 but then it kills you in the WCF.

This problem with scheduling has affected the spurs quite frequently in the last 3 seasons. I remember the sacramento season where they finished them off and then went back to SA with less than 48 hours to play the Mavs and we know what happened. That was a travesty of scheduling.

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
The main problem with NBA nowadays isn't refs, it's the pathetic NBA scheduling. That's what kills series. Is there anything fan about having one team rested playing another non-rested team. This despite the fact some teams took longer to come through. Still, between series you need to have at least a couple days off so match ups are rather even.

The hornets series got to game 6 one day earlier than lakers/utah and then they decided to move game 7 to monday (4 days off) while the other series was being played every other day. Since there wasn't game 7 between utah and LA then the winner had more days of rest.

It's true those 4 days allowed the spurs to rest their players for the game 7 but then it kills you in the WCF.

This problem with scheduling has affected the spurs quite frequently in the last 3 seasons. I remember the sacramento season where they finished them off and then went back to SA with less than 48 hours to play the Mavs and we know what happened. That was a travesty of scheduling.Is this a joke? The Spurs got a 3-day break prior to playing game 7 with the Hornets. Fatigue is not a factor in this series - the Lakers have just played better throughout the series.

cash459
05-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Is this a joke? The Spurs got a 3-day break prior to playing game 7 with the Hornets. Fatigue is not a factor in this series - the Lakers have just played better throughout the series.

played better? almost lost game 1 and only ended up winning by 4/5. getting blown out in game 3 and almost losing game 4. you have ONE quality win, a blow out yes, but your fakers got blown out too. :toast

VinnyTestesVerde
05-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh don't act like Pop never bitches for calls, dude. He should've been ejected in the game where he was yelling in Crawford's face at the top of his lungs. Pop bitches for calls too..

You're right, he's not perfect...and no one expects him to be. He gets fiery during the game like any other coach. But at the end of the day he'll take responsibility for the outcome of the game, even too much. Quit hanging onto that statement he made to the press...as if because Pop publicly stated that it wasn't a foul, THAT'S THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

You and everyone else knows what happened at the end of the game, and nothing can change that. Now I'm not a believer in NBA conspiracies, throwing games, etc, but I do expect people to be accountable for their mistakes.

The no-call at end of game 4 was a mistake. No question. It's not a discussion dude.

MateoNeygro
05-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Yea its a shame that didnt see Timmys travel, Fish's shot hit the rim or the 20 hacks that Kobe got and ZERO trips to the FT line.....your right....

As ROME SAYS>>>>>>>

The Scoreboard never lies.......:lol

BOBCAT FANS SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED IN HERE the BOBCATS TEAM WON'T EXIST IN A FEW YEARS JUST LIKE THE CHARLOTTE HORNETS NOW THATS A DISGRACE TO THE Negligent Basketball Association.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Is this a joke? The Spurs got a 3-day break prior to playing game 7 with the Hornets. Fatigue is not a factor in this series - the Lakers have just played better throughout the series.

I think you failed at reading comprehension. You need to read my post again and take the homer blinders off

m33p0
05-29-2008, 09:34 AM

MateoNeygro
05-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Oh don't act like Pop never bitches for calls, dude. He should've been ejected in the game where he was yelling in Crawford's face at the top of his lungs. Pop bitches for calls too..

Phil Jackson is the luckiest most whinning coach the NBA, He has won championships yah but with 3 of the "best" players ever Kobe, SHaq, and Jordan not to mention Pippen hes a lucky little bitch, i could've coached those teams to championships

MateoNeygro
05-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Uh no... the Spurs defense is so good that we blew your ass out by 30 last game in Staples. Get your fishing gear ready tonight, clown. You muthafuckas will be on the lake by midnight. Nice season.

yah we'll see i promise a spurs victory the SPURS will stomp out STERN's dream

Say-Townbball
05-29-2008, 09:40 AM

True.

However...Crawford should've NEVER touched Pop. That FUSED him even more.

then they were all smiles and giggles and shit 5 minutes later. wtf?

MateoNeygro
05-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Bottom line is you maggots wanted the refs to bail out Brent fuckin Barry. Uh no. Not this season or any other season. Great defensive play by Fisher, considering the final result.

Like Lakeshow said, the Lakers were shit out of 3 to 5 possible points in the final minute alone. Parker was awarded 2 points on an incredible shot block by Odom - 2 points. Manu's foot was on the line - 1 point. Fisher's shot hit the rim but was called an airball, giving the Spurs a 22 second advantage on the shotclock and eliminating what would've been a must-foul situation to give the Lakers possibly 2 points at the line.

Bottom line is the Lakers should've been up at very least 96-91 and possibly even 98-91. So deal with it. Derek Fisher simply owns whatever place the Spurs call home, baby.

And please with the Joey Crawford thing. Kobe's been to the line 6 times in the entire series!!!I don't think it's the Spurs who should be bitching about the referees.

Better luck next season because you crybaby Spurs fans swallow a dagger tonight.

Kobe only shooting 6 free throws is only because thats all he deserves he's been shooting jump shots all series, and just because he gets 20 ft a game doesn't mean he deserves them, kobe bumps bowen with his shoulder on every play and flails his arms when bowen strips him, KOBE IS A RAPIST and ONLY FAKERS fans could love someone like that CLASSLESS HOLLYWEIRDS

NoMoneyDown
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM

You're right. They should have fed it into Timmy and let him plow through people to dunk the ball - that is, since no foul would have been called.

DarrinS
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
This sucks. I was hoping to see some Spurs landing on top of Lakers jump shooters in game 5 for non-calls.

imatroll
05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Bottom line, the league is messed up when it comes to the refs. This was the ugliest officiated game I have seen all post season. And I have watched every one of them.

But let's not distract from what nobody wants to look at, and admit.

Nobody want's to look at that last play step by step. They want to look at the foul. So here (http://i32.tinypic.com/8vvq4m.jpg) it is:

1) Barry catches the ball
2) does a little pump fake
3) Fish jumps and Barry steps back with his left leg (establishing his right foot as his pivot foot) at the same time
4) Barry lifts his right foot (pivot foot)
5) Barry releases the ball and Fish fouls him at the same time
6) Barry throws up a prayer

That is called a travel. And then a foul.

Now, what nobody want's to admit, is that if you look at the game as a whole, the Lakers outplayed the Spurs from start to finish. No question about it. The refs are what kept them in it. And so many of you get bent out of shape when the refs dont bail you out yet one more time. The Spurs are the champs, and deserve that respect, but the Lakers were the better team that night.

DarrinS
05-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Bottom line, the league is messed up when it comes to the refs. This was the ugliest officiated game I have seen all post season. And I have watched every one of them.

Nobody want's to look at that last play step by step. They want to look at the foul. So here (http://i32.tinypic.com/8vvq4m.jpg) it is:

3) Fish jumps and Barry steps back with his left leg (establishing his right foot as his pivot foot) at the same time
4) Barrly lifts his right foot (pivot foot)

Now, what nobody want's to admit, is that if you look at the game as a whole, the Lakers outplayed the Spurs from start to finish. No question about it. The refs are what kept them in it. And so many of you get bent out of shape when the refs dont bail you out yet one more time. The Spurs are the champs, and deserve that respect, but the Lakers were the better team that night.

Yes, you are a troll.

NBA doesn't acknowledge that so-called travel. I wonder why?

VinnyTestesVerde
05-29-2008, 10:20 AM

4) Barry lifts his right foot (pivot foot)

We've talked about it a ton. Yes the Lakers outplayed the Spurs the vast majority of the game. Does that mean that the Lakers don't deserve a loss because of blowing the lead, letting the Spurs back in, and committing an obvious foul at the end of the game?? NO.

"Outplaying" a team doesn't automatically mean a team deserves to win. Spurs outplayed the Lakers for the vast majority of Game 1. Did we deserve to win? NO. We pissed away the lead.

"Outplaying" is a moral victory type of term. You can outplay a team all you want, but if you piss away the lead, make mental errors, and fuck up at the end, the team should be held accountable for it.

The Lakers were not held accountable. Congrats.

Remycs21
05-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh Stern loves him some Spurs, doesn't he? :lmao

Los Spurs
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM

Therefore, they owe us game 5, 6, and 7 :lobt2:

imatroll
05-29-2008, 10:37 AM
We've talked about it a ton. Yes the Lakers outplayed the Spurs the vast majority of the game. Does that mean that the Lakers don't deserve a loss because of blowing the lead, letting the Spurs back in, and committing an obvious foul at the end of the game?? NO.

"Outplaying" a team doesn't automatically mean a team deserves to win. Spurs outplayed the Lakers for the vast majority of Game 1. Did we deserve to win? NO. We pissed away the lead.

"Outplaying" is a moral victory type of term. You can outplay a team all you want, but if you piss away the lead, make mental errors, and fuck up at the end, the team should be held accountable for it.

The Lakers were not held accountable. Congrats.

I counted one mental error and a couple 3-pointers that went in your favor. I also counted Tim Duncan doin the "boot scootn' boogie" all the way to the rim, a shot clock that wasn't reset, which ultimatley led to a desperation shot by Kobe, and the league MVP not going to the line against the most physical perimeter defender in the NBA. I can list more if you like. I really can.

"Does that mean that the Lakers don't deserve a loss because of blowing the lead"

Blowing what lead? The Lakers were leading the entire game. Including the final seconds when your boy traveled.

"letting the Spurs back in, and committing an obvious foul at the end of the game??"

Again, it was an obvious foul. It was an obvious travel also. here (http://i32.tinypic.com/8vvq4m.jpg) it is again for you. I bolded and underlined the link for you. It's also in slow motion. So you might be able to see everything before your beloved foul.

DarrinS
05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Again, it was an obvious foul. It was an obvious travel also.

Q: Why isn't this so-called travel acknowledged by the NBA?

A: Because that shit is weak.

imatroll
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Q: Why isn't this so-called travel acknowledged by the NBA?

A: Because that shit is weak.

Ok. See what you want to see. But the proof is in the video. Your love for your team can't change that.

Also, the league looked at the foul because that is what all the pissing and moaning from you guys is about. Nobody from the Laker side is bringing up the travel because they won. If the league had overturned the call, then you might get some return fire from the Laker side. And you better believe the league would look at it and see the travel that you guys can't.

DarrinS
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Ok. See what you want to see. But the proof is in the video. Your love for your team can't change that.

Also, the league looked at the foul because that is what all the pissing and moaning from you guys is about. Nobody from the Laker side is bringing up the travel because they won. If the league had overturned the call, then you might get some return fire from the Laker side. And you better believe the league would look at it and see the travel that you guys can't.

The only person from the Lakers or Spurs that bitched about officiating in game 4 was Phillip MyAhole Jackson.

Again, you failed to answer the question. If missing the "travel" was such an egregious error, why didn't the NBA acknowlege it?

VinnyTestesVerde
05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I counted one mental error and a couple 3-pointers that went in your favor. I also counted Tim Duncan doin the "boot scootn' boogie" all the way to the rim, a shot clock that wasn't reset, which ultimatley led to a desperation shot by Kobe, and the league MVP not going to the line against the most physical perimeter defender in the NBA. I can list more if you like. I really can.

Blowing what lead? The Lakers were leading the entire game. Including the final seconds when your boy traveled.

Again, it was an obvious foul. It was an obvious travel also. here (http://i32.tinypic.com/8vvq4m.jpg) it is again for you. I bolded and underlined the link for you. It's also in slow motion. So you might be able to see everything before your beloved foul.

I would gladly have taken a reset of the shot-clock. At least if we had that opportunity to foul, there's a chance (however slim) that whoever shooting the FTs could miss. And even if LA sunk both FTs, at least it's a legit path to victory.

Everyone understands that people get away with stuff during the course of an NBA game. I would gladly have the Spurs held accountable for whatever sort of screw-ups they got away with as long as the Lakers would be.

I think all we're asking here is for people to be accountable. If Laker fans would just understand that they got away with a big break, resulting in a series shifting win, then I don't think there would be as much of a problem.

BTW...watching the gif again of Barry. Talk about hanging on to a thread. Trust me, Laker fans don't want refs to start calling travel on moves like that. :lol Prolly should stay mum about that stuff.

VinnyTestesVerde
05-29-2008, 11:10 AM
and btw imatroll...the "lead" ya'll blew started with kobe trying to be the hero, missing that runner which led to us cutting the lead to 2. Cutting the lead from 6 to 2 in the span of less than 1 minute = blowing it. what game were you watching?

jaysmooth422
05-29-2008, 11:28 AM
NBA Admits the Spurs Got Screwed Out of a Chance to Tie Game 4
Posted May 29th 2008 5:25AM by Matt Watson
Filed under: Lakers, Spurs, Western, NBA Playoffs, Los Angeles

So you know that controversial ending in Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals? My colleague Brett Edwards argued there not a foul; last night, the NBA respectfully disagreed.

Trailing 93-91 on Tuesday night, the Spurs inbounded the ball with 2.1 seconds left to Brent Barry, who was bumped by Los Angeles Lakers guard Derek Fisher on the floor. No foul was called, and Barry missed badly on a 3-pointer before time expired.

[...] "With the benefit of instant replay, it appears a foul should have been called," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

I'm glad the league stepped up and did the right thing. I mean, this all the Spurs really wanted, right? A little apologizing goes a long way. In fact, I'm sure it makes the sting of being down 3-1 instead of all tied up actually quite bearable ... right?

Of course not! The Spurs got screwed, plain and simple. The fact the league is sheepishly hanging its head saying "my bad" doesn't change a thing. Sure, chalk one up for transparency, but only if you chalk another one up for bad officiating dictating the outcome of a game -- and possibly the entire series. This apology is too little, too late.

sa_butta
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97359.

hater
05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.pc.ibm.com/ca/nba/images/nba_cares_140x187.jpg

1Parker1
05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
http://www.pc.ibm.com/ca/nba/images/nba_cares_140x187.jpg

:lol :tu

AztecPrincss
05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Its not the first time sumthing like this happens..They always making their stupid mistakes and then they say sorry ! sounds kinda unprofessional..-_-

SouthernFried
05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
How about the GASOL foul on Duncan that gave LA back the ball, instead of 2 FT's for SA?

Both in last minute of game...both affected the outcome...and BOTH were wrong.

Apologize for both right now...and get the 2'fer discount

mrspurs
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
with all do respect....its our players, mostly manu and fab that should say sorry for not even showing up to the game to the NBA...............hopefully tonight they will decide to show up and play basketball for 48 mins.........go spurs go

Dim Tuncan
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
How about the GASOL foul on Duncan that gave LA back the ball, instead of 2 FT's for SA?

Apologize for both right now...and get the 2'fer discount

Go blow it out yer ass, dickwad :downspin:

How about the Duncan travel?

How about Odom's clean block that was called a goaltend?

How about the shotclock not resetting?

How about Kobe having 0 free throws despite being guarded by the most physical perimeter defender on the planet?

Anti.Hero
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Just stfu about the call. THe Spurs blew too many opportunities and did not deserve to win that game. Jesus Christ. Get over it.

SouthernFried
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
YEah...the SPURS didn't play so great, and shoulda won it MUCH sooner...so its THEIR fault the no calls happened. They shouldn't have let it be so damned close a game.

What the fuck were they thinking not blowing out this team sooner?

The no calls serves 'em right. The refs giving those 2 games to LA is the Spurs own damned fault. Spurs shouldn't have let this game be close. It's their own damn fault LA is also a good team, and your gonna get close games...

It's not about the refs actually affecting outcomes of games...its about the SPURS not blowing out another damned good team.

With all due respect...your a moron.

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM

Apologize for both right now...and get the 2'fer discount:nope How about the Odom block that was called a goal tend? How about the Manu Tres that was actually a Deuce? How about the Fisher shot hitting the rim but being called an airball?

All three of those happened in the last minute or the Spurs are no closer than 5 points in the final seconds.

Shit happens, I guess.

Anti.Hero
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
YEah...the SPURS didn't play so great, and shoulda won it MUCH sooner...so its THEIR fault the no calls happened. They shouldn't have let it be so damned close a game.

What the fuck were they thinking not blowing out this team sooner?

The no calls serves 'em right. The refs giving those 2 games to LA is the Spurs own damned fault. Spurs shouldn't have let this game be close. It's their own damn fault LA is also a good team, and your gonna get close games...

It's not about the refs actually affecting outcomes of games...its about the SPURS not blowing out another damned good team.

With all due respect...your a moron.

you're*

It's just like a fight. You are a MORON if you leave it up to the judges at the end.

The Spurs blew a 20 fucking point lead in game 1. The refs did not help the Lakers back in that game.

In game 4, the Spurs go in yet ANOTHER scoring drought. Big surprise. They had numerous chances to hit a big shot and get the lead/momentum and they missed ALL OF THEM. Tough shit.

Fucking homers. Only a weak minded person can blame this loss on the refs.

Mj23foreva
05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Duncan did not travel. He took two giant steps. It's an awkward play that you never see and so it may have seemed like a walk. But Look at it a second time. You are misinterpreting the play.

As for the Lebron play - no similarity between that and this. You're blind if you're confusing the two. The fact that you are tells me I shouldn't even be havingthis debate with you - you're eyesight is clearly impaired.

You are as ignorant as they come. I know all fans sometimes turn the other way when their team gets away with something or does something wrong, but Spurs fans just seem to be extremely ignorant.

spurastic
05-29-2008, 12:01 PM

How about Kobe having 0 free throws despite being guarded by the most physical perimeter defender on the planet?

You really are dim........

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Spurs fans are just brainwashed because aside from the Spurs and that dirty-ass Riverwalk, there's absolutely nothing to do in San Antonio except leave that bitch to go somewhere else for fun. Therefore, Spurs fan is often a somewhat deranged muthafucka who believes his team can do no wrong.

Even when the Spurs win titles, they're jealous of the Lakers - it's just in their blood.

Dim Tuncan
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm the product of an ectopic pregnancy

No kidding!!!!!

:downspin::wow:lobt2::bking:lobt2::wow:downspin:

ChumpDumper
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Even when the Spurs win titles, they're jealous of the Lakers - it's just in their blood.Even when the Lakers win, their fans whine about spurfans and post on their board because they are envious - it's just in their blood.

NoMoneyDown
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Spurs fans are just brainwashed because aside from the Spurs and that dirty-ass Riverwalk, there's absolutely nothing to do in San Antonio except leave that bitch to go somewhere else for fun. Therefore, Spurs fan is often a somewhat deranged muthafucka who believes his team can do no wrong.

Even when the Spurs win titles, they're jealous of the Lakers - it's just in their blood.

Incredible. You actually went through the trouble of creating an ID with "San Antonio" as your favorite team just to bash San Antonio. Can you say "no life"?

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I told you people that there should have been 2 free throws.

Saguaro
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
The apology:

Dear Spurs,

We're sorry that you're so old that you've started decomposing in place. Please accept our gift of embalming fluids. Also, catch the Lakers in the NBA Finals on ABC, starting June 5!

SpurOutofTownFan
05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I LOVE THE FACT THAT THE REFS ARE TAKING A BIG FAT LONG PURPLE AND GOLD LAKER COCK, AND SCREWING THE SHIT OUT OF THE SPURS AND THEIR FANS!!!:lol

There's a button in your keyboard called "Caps Lock". You are welcome to use it any time.

jaysmooth422
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM

how about you go fuck yourself???:ihit

Mj23foreva
05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Perhaps the Spurs could have been just a little more ruthless and protested the call. Not that it would have mattered, but we do seem to have toughness "gap" sometimes.

You think PJ would have just rolled over if the situation was reversed? Or Pat Riley? Red Auerbach?

I'm almost as pissed by the Spurs reaction to this travesty as I am to the blown call itself. F that "we didn't deserve to win" BS.

The Spurs got outplayed for most of the game but The REFS put us in a position to win. But the refs (by virtue of the blown call) did not even allow us to get a decent shot off.

Fixed

Mj23foreva
05-29-2008, 12:30 PM

The governing body also acknowledges that the Lakers won game 4, now STFU

Mj23foreva
05-29-2008, 12:51 PM
played better? almost lost game 1 and only ended up winning by 4/5. getting blown out in game 3 and almost losing game 4. you have ONE quality win, a blow out yes, but your fakers got blown out too. :toast

lemme ask you this, would you want to trade places with the lakers right now up 3-1 and have "ONE quality win"? If so take your comment and shove it back up your ass.

and youve got to be kidding me about the scheduling thing. The Lakers closed in 6, the Spurs closed in 7. Its the Spurs fault for closing it in 7. If they wanted freaking rest why couldnt they have taken care of the Hornets in 6??? Dont give that well the Hornets are better than the Jazz crap. Then your team shouldve tried harder in the regular season and get 1st seed like the lakers. Regular season matters now doesnt it?

jaysmooth422
05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
you're*

It's just like a fight. You are a MORON if you leave it up to the judges at the end.

The Spurs blew a 20 fucking point lead in game 1. The refs did not help the Lakers back in that game.

In game 4, the Spurs go in yet ANOTHER scoring drought. Big surprise. They had numerous chances to hit a big shot and get the lead/momentum and they missed ALL OF THEM. Tough shit.

Fucking homers. Only a weak minded person can blame this loss on the refs.

what do you mean the refs didnt help the lakers in that game? how bout that final possesion at the end of the game when manu got tackled by odom no foul was called yet the lakers get sent to the foul line to make a four point game and the game is secured.

Mj23foreva
05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
and btw imatroll...the "lead" ya'll blew started with kobe trying to be the hero, missing that runner which led to us cutting the lead to 2. Cutting the lead from 6 to 2 in the span of less than 1 minute = blowing it. what game were you watching?

Blowing a lead means giving it up fool. When were the lakers ever down?????? A 2 point lead is still a lead. A lead is not blown until the team is down.

However you can restate it as ALMOST blowing a lead. That would be correct.

bigdog
05-29-2008, 01:09 PM

I saw many travels in the game, not just Duncan's, so it evens out.

Obviously after looking at the replay the ball hadn't hit the backboard yet, but it was probably way too close to tell at game speed. The ball was REALLY close to the backboard so the ref probably couldn't have told the difference between block and goaltend.

Fisher's shot did NOT hit the rim.

Just because Bowen is a physical defender doesn't mean they have to call a foul on him. If this was 10 years ago, half the calls nowadays would be considered "love taps". The NBA and the refs are making this a soft league, and half of the stuff that Bowen gets called for wouldn't have been called a decade ago.

Mr. Body
05-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow. That's four posts in a row from somebody claiming to be a Knicks fan.

smeagol
05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Spurs lost this game on the court.

Refs had shit to do with the loss.

Mj23foreva
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow. That's four posts in a row from somebody claiming to be a Knicks fan.

:p:

MadDog73
05-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Spurs lost this game on the court.

Refs has shit to do with the loss.

Well, that's not entirely true...

Refs had SOMEthing to do with it. By the NBA's own admission.

Red Hawk #21
05-29-2008, 01:23 PM
This league is fucked up, first a ref screws you over then they apologize later knowing that their apology wont change jackshit. Nothing knew with this stuff, just play through it Spurs. It wont be fair but if you play with heart you can overcome the refs and David Stern...

Indazone
05-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Apology too late and too little. Stern the finger is pointing directly at you now.

Commissioner Stern
05-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow. I guess now you guys know how Phoenix fans feel after the suspension of Amare Stoudemire and Diaw last year.

You're bitching about a last second. Those players lost an entire game.

Hypocrites.

cash459
05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
why dont the laker fans want to talk about the travel by kobe in the 4th qtr. they seem to be real anxious to talk about the "travel" by Tim..... :wtf

kungfu
05-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Apologize? For what? Wow the NBA really holds the Spurs on a pedestal wtf would they apologize to the Spurs and never to the Lakers? I never heard of NBA apologizing to any teams until now.

MadDog73
05-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Apologize? For what? Wow the NBA really holds the Spurs on a pedestal wtf would they apologize to the Spurs and never to the Lakers? I never heard of NBA apologizing to any teams until now.

LOL, why would the NBA apologize to the Lakers?

When have the Lakers ever been screwed over?