PDA

View Full Version : Does the PS3 have a universal power supply?

mffl89
05-29-2008, 01:02 AM
I bought my PS3 from a friend in the US and I'm in Beijing for the summer so I brought my PS3 with me.
I've read on multiple boards that the PS3 has a universal power supply even if the label at the bottom says 120v. They say you need to open up the PS3 to find the PSU and it'll say it. I can't find any official word from Sony stating this.
I have a voltage converter (transformer) here in Beijing but it only produces 300W but the PS3 requires something like 380W.

Thanks.

mouse
05-29-2008, 01:08 AM
This much is confirmed:The PS3's that were released at the launch, in the Late 2006~Early 2007 period had universal PSU's built into them.. Sony themselves confirmed this, by officially stating that the PS3's PSU *is* universal..because of photographic evidence (I can send it to those who request for it)...I have also found numerous early PS3 dissection pictures, showing 100v~240v

However, Sony later stated that PS3's no longer have universal PSU's. They said that PS3 now have region dependent PSU's....

There are people telling me that US PS3's coming out *now* *also* have universal PSU's because they have personally used their PS3s in 220v regions like Europe...

However, there are *also* people telling me the exact opposite! That US PS3's coming out now do *not* work in 220v regions...they claim to know this because they fried their own PS3's when experimenting..

To confirm whether or not US PS3's coming out *now* work in 220v regions, I have put forward a slight experiment..

Can someone who has bought a US PS3 *recently* (*not* at the the launch) (within the last 6 to 10 months), please open up their PS3 a little bit, and take a photo of what is mentioned of the PSU box inside the PS3 ... ?

This PSU box would state the exact input voltage that the US PS3 needs, irrespective of what the sticker on the outside reads...

It would either say something like 100v~240v, which would mean the following:
That the US PS3 indeed has a universal PSU
Sony lied by stating '110v ONLY' (or something similar) on the outside sticker..
or it can say '100v~120v' (or something similar), which would mean:
That US PS3's coming out now are *not* universal (in terms of input voltage)
That Sony was telling the truth when they said that PS3's no longer have universal PSUs..
I know its a lot to ask, but its I can think of to solve this matter...

(radio shack)

mouse
05-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Is yours like this?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/features/hardware/ps3handson/psthree003.jpg

mffl89
05-29-2008, 01:31 AM
I remember reading that same response on other boards.
Yes, mine is like that. (60 GB)
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm just afraid that my system will be fried if I plug it into the socket.

Thunder Dan
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a PS3 question too...

I play NCAA online for PS2 and about 50% of the time the connection fails during option plays. I know it's not my connection and that it is the server. My question is, how is the PS3 online play? does it kick you off alot? get overloaded? or have a bunch of glitches and exploits like on ps2?

florige
05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I have a PS3 question too...

I play NCAA online for PS2 and about 50% of the time the connection fails during option plays. I know it's not my connection and that it is the server. My question is, how is the PS3 online play? does it kick you off alot? get overloaded? or have a bunch of glitches and exploits like on ps2?

I hear it depends on the game. I haven't signed up for it yet, but alot of my friends who have GTA4 who play online says that it freezes up alot. I haven't had any problems with mine, yet.....

Thunder Dan
05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I hear it depends on the game. I haven't signed up for it yet, but alot of my friends who have GTA4 who play online says that it freezes up alot. I haven't had any problems with mine, yet.....

that sucks. I was about to buy a PS3 when NCAA09 comes out, but that really turns me off. I only play one game and have only played one game for about6 years. I once tried to play Vice City back in the day and was so bad I gave up playing any game other than NCAA.

florige
05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
that sucks. I was about to buy a PS3 when NCAA09 comes out, but that really turns me off. I only play one game and have only played one game for about6 years. I once tried to play Vice City back in the day and was so bad I gave up playing any game other than NCAA.

What you were really bad with the game? I only play the 2k games and Madden. 2k8 is pretty nice. But I hear now that you are really into the whole online gaming thing the 360 is where it's at. I had a 360 but sold it and got me a PS3 because I don;t really play online at all.
But be warned, you can only play some PS2 games on the PS3 for some reason. I know you can't play Vice City on there for sure. Don't ask me why that is.

Thunder Dan
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
What you were really bad with the game?

I can't use the joystick to move people. I like using the old D pad

raeitek
06-09-2008, 04:08 AM
raeitek is a leading provider of smps,power systems and solutions.

raeitek Power Integrations offers a broad range of highly integrated high-voltage ICs for use in LED lighting applications where designers require offline power supplies at universal input line cord voltages—85 VAC to 265 VAC.

www.raeitek.com

BruceBowenFan
06-09-2008, 02:12 PM
ps3 online sucks it is always laggy no matter how good your connection is.