PDA

View Full Version : Didn't Gingich tell everyone in '92 that he'd do away with pork?

RandomGuy
05-29-2008, 08:51 AM
In 1992, Newt Gingrich told the House: “I am committed to hunting down every appropriation ... that is some politician taking care of himself. ... I am going to be prepared to fight every rule on every Appropriation bill.” Then-Rep. Porter Goss (R-Fla.) stated, “Many Americans are saying this is no longer the people’s House but the house of perks and pork.”

From an article on the Politics of Pork. (http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2005/08/poisoningdemocracy.html)

But within a few years of winning the majority, the Republican House had not only failed to cut back on earmarking but had carried the practice to levels unimagined by their Democratic predecessors. The conservative watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste commented in an open letter released just a few months ago: “Over the past 10 years, pork-barrel spending has increased exponentially, from 1,430 projects totaling $10 billion in 1995 to 10,656 projects, totaling $22.9 billion, in 2004. ... Considering Republicans, a political party that long advocated for less government spending and greater fiscal discipline, have been largely in charge of Congress since 1995, these figures are even more appalling.”

boutons_
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Fuck pork.

Even $50B in annual pork is trivial compared to the much-faster-growing, corrupt, imperialistic, metastasis of the military.

Americans flatter themselves with the myth they are some kind Shining Athens On The Hll but in fact, America has become a dark, militaristic Sparta.

Wild Cobra
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
That's one of the reasons the demonrats took over congress on '06. Republican and conservative voters diminished for republican candidates. To bad democrats don't oust their demonrats for the same thing. Not upholding campaign promises. I guess liberals accept the fact their candidates are chronic liars.

RandomGuy
05-30-2008, 08:58 AM
That's one of the reasons the demonrats took over congress on '06. Republican and conservative voters diminished for republican candidates. To bad democrats don't oust their demonrats for the same thing. Not upholding campaign promises. I guess liberals accept the fact their candidates are chronic liars.

:lmao

I will take Democrat lies, "we will cut pork" over Republican lies, "invading Iraq is a good idea" any day.

RandomGuy
05-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I do have to thank Bush for that one thing.

By completely fucking up Iraq and, well, everything else they have touched, whatever the fault of the Democrats, we can just point to Iraq, "good job Brownie", Harriet Meiers, Plamegate, Wounded-troops-in-rat-infested-slums-gate, etc, etc, etc, and say, "at least it isn't THAT bad."