PDA

View Full Version : 4 For 4

Jimcs50
05-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Repeat?

Spurs suffer bad misfortune each year after they win the championship for the 4th straight time, ruining a chance to defend their title.

2000-TD misses playoffs with torn meniscus, and lose to Phoenix in first round, after securing HCA in the playoffs as the best team in the league.

2004- the refs screw the Spurs by allowing Fisher to catch, turn and shoot the ball with 0.4 secs left, which is an impossible feat.

2006- Manu fouls Dirk with 3 pt lead awarding Dirk a 3 pt play giving Dallas a tie, and lose in ensuing OT

2008- The Joey Crawford led crew fails to award the tying FTs to Brent Barry, when an obvious foul occurs with less than 2 secs remaining on the game clock.

Can a defending champion be more snake-bit? Hardly.

Ishta
05-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Your right, but the Spurs need to break this string of even year mishaps.

WCFBaby
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Repeat?

Spurs suffer bad misfortune each year after they win the championship for the 4th straight time, ruining a chance to defend their title.

2000-TD misses playoffs with torn meniscus, and lose to Phoenix in first round, after securing HCA in the playoffs as the best team in the league.

2004- the refs screw the Spurs by allowing Fisher to catch, turn and shoot the ball with 0.4 secs left, which is an impossible feat.

2006- Manu fouls Dirk with 3 pt lead awarding Dirk a 3 pt play giving Dallas a tie, and lose in ensuing OT

2008- The Joey Crawford led crew fails to award the tying FTs to Brent Barry, when an obvious foul occurs with less than 2 secs remaining on the game clock.

Can and defending champion be more snake-bit? Hardly.

Joey Crawford led crew fails to award:
1. Ball to Lakers after Duncan takes 7 steps without the ball touching the floor on his way to a dunk.
2. Ball to the Lakers after a clean block by Odom, instead.......awarding two points to the Spurs.
3. Correctly change Ginobilis 3 point shot to a 2 point shot after replays clearly show Ginobilis feet on the line.
4. Ball to the Lakers with fresh 24 second clock with 6 seconds remaining in the game after Fisher's shot clearly grazes the rim. Therefore, allowing the spurs one last chance to tie/win the game.
5. Ball to Lakers after Barry clearly traveled by moving both feet prior to taking or dibble or contact with Fisher.

Spurs fan = delusional

Dopey310
05-29-2008, 09:56 AM
IF Spurs fans took off their homer glasses, they would know that the refs did everything they could just to keep the Spurs in the game. :lol

1Parker1
05-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, it does seem like misfortune when you look at specific plays like that.

But you could have argued the other way this season especially;

--Spurs win in double OT on a 3 pointer by Tim Duncan and put away the Suns in 5.

--Spurs come back from down 0-2 and win a Game 7 on the road to advance to the Conference Finals for the first time after they won a championship the previous year.

--Spurs get stuck on tarmac for a whole night, sleep on the floor of a plane, one night before Game 1 of the Conference Finals. Spurs then proceed to run out of gas in the 4th quarter and miss key shots allow the Lakers to come back from down 20 and win the game.

--Spurs don't get a call in the closing seconds of a game that could have gotten them FT's to send the game to OT.

Pop said it best. Any championship run relies on a lot of luck. Last season, the Spurs were not that good, their opponents in the playoffs were just worse. It was probably the easiest championship run the Spurs had. This season, if Duncan doesn't hit that 3 pointer, if Parker misses that last shot in Game 7 against the Hornets, we'd all be preaching a different tune right now.

Bottom line is, this series more than any other series when the Spurs lost after their championship run was quite winnable. You can't let up on a 20 point lead on the road and you can't let up 20 2nd chance points at home in a critical Game 4 of the conference finals.

Luck has a lot to do with it, but so does how you choose to look at the situation as well as execution in crunch time and at critical moments during key times within the course of a single game.

ImmortalD24
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.etxrn.com/junction/images/baby%20crying.jpg

1Parker1
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
On another note, this is why I really believe the Lakers will win it all this year without question; They've had more blatant luck than anyone this season;

--Starting with getting back Fisher,
-- signing Gasol for nothing,
--Kobe turning from "Trade me now! to Let me buy my teammates $10K watches to thank them for their hard work after I threw them under the bus
--Getting the best record in the West
--Getting lucky calls against both the Jazz and Spurs (non call on obvious Gasol pushoff in Game 5 and obviously the last play in Game 4 against the Spurs)

Talk about LUCK. Lakers may be the special case this season where their Luck may just override their overall talent and experience.

WCFBaby
05-29-2008, 10:09 AM
On another note, this is why I really believe the Lakers will win it all this year without question; They've had more blatant luck than anyone this season;

--Starting with getting back Fisher,
-- signing Gasol for nothing,
--Kobe turning from "Trade me now! to Let me buy my teammates $10K watches to thank them for their hard work after I threw them under the bus
--Getting the best record in the West
--Getting lucky calls against both the Jazz and Spurs (non call on obvious Gasol pushoff in Game 5 and obviously the last play in Game 4 against the Spurs)

Talk about LUCK. Lakers may be the special case this season where their Luck may just override their overall talent and experience.

Wow, another whiney spurs bitchmaid!
--Nice move getting Fisher back, he could have chosen a team in the New York area or even the Clippers, but chose to play for a Lakers team that was crap at the end of last year.
--Kupchak = great trade...way to do your job. That's why Mitch was runner up for GM of the year! Don't hate...celebrate!!
--The Lakers EARNED the best record in the west you f'ing dolt!
--Calls all even out in the course of a series. Well, other than Tuesday's game when the Spurs got just about every single call until the last play of the game.

You are a whiney little girl.

Russ
05-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Repeat?

Good point.

On the other hand, the Spurs overcome such obstacles when they win a title (with the exception of the Duncan injury). Human nature is such that those obstacles are forgotten if the team wins and only recalled if they don't.

For example, if the Spurs took care of business in Game 4, there would have been no opportunity for misfortune to rear its ugly head at the end. We never would have known. This year's Spurs placed themselves in position to be unlucky -- that's the unifying principle here.

Jimcs50
05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Good point.

On the other hand, the Spurs overcome such obstacles when they win a title (with the exception of the Duncan injury). Human nature is such that those obstacles are forgotten if the team wins and only recalled if they don't.

For example, if the Spurs took care of business in Game 4, there would have been no opportunity for misfortune to rear its ugly head at the end. We never would have known. This year's Spurs placed themselves in position to be unlucky -- that's the unifying principle here.

True, the Spurs came out sluggish in 1st Q and let LA jump on them, giving the young Lakers confidence. A veteran championship calibre team should have come out on fire and took control of the game in the first place.

My point is, we can look back and find one defining play or injury that seems to rear it's ugly head each time the Spurs are poised to repeat....that is all I am saying.

P.S.

Lakers fan bitches

STFU, this is not your thread, I am not crying, and you will not find one post by me that whines or cries....I was making an observation.

TheMACHINE
05-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Just appreciate the fact that your team was blessed with championships in the first place.

sedale threatt
05-29-2008, 11:11 AM
you forgot the unluckiest part of all--coughing up a twenty point in game one.

WCFBaby
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
True, the Spurs came out sluggish in 1st Q and let LA jump on them, giving the young Lakers confidence. A veteran championship calibre team should have come out on fire and took control of the game in the first place.

My point is, we can look back and find one defining play or injury that seems to rear it's ugly head each time the Spurs are poised to repeat....that is all I am saying.

P.S.

Lakers fan bitches

STFU, this is not your thread, I am not crying, and you will not find one post by me that whines or cries....I was making an observation.

STOP THE INCESSANT WHINING AND CRYING BITCHMAID!

JamStone
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
If only other teams were so lucky to have off years after four championship runs...

Jimcs50
05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
STOP THE INCESSANT WHINING AND CRYING BITCHMAID!

Get the fuck out of my thread and forum, fuckwad!!!!

cherylsteele
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM

The Spurs did not have the record in the 1999-2000 season.
Midwest Division Team W L PCT GB
Utah Jazz 55 27 .671 -
San Antonio Spurs 53 29 .646 2
Minnesota Timberwolves 50 32 .610 5
Dallas Mavericks 40 42 .488 15
Denver Nuggets 35 47 .427 20
Houston Rockets 34 48 .415 21
Vancouver Grizzlies 22 60 .268 33

Lakers 67-15
Portland 59-23
Indiana 56-26

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Repeat?

Can a defending champion be more snake-bit? Hardly.excuses, excuses. A true dynasty defends a title DESPITE the bullshit. The Spurs have never even defended a conference crown - that's why they're not a dynasty. Not yet.

Jimcs50
05-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I stand corrected. The Spurs were the hottest team prior to TD's injury against Sacto, and did win the season series against LA, so had TD not been injured, then they would have had the 2nd best record and probably beaten LA in playoffs, like they had the previous year.(4-0 sweep)

Jimcs50
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
excuses, excuses. A true dynasty defends a title DESPITE the bullshit. The Spurs have never even defended a conference crown - that's why they're not a dynasty. Not yet.

3 titles in 5 years, the best winning percentage in the regular season for the last 11 years(in all sports), the best playoff winning percentage the last 11 years= DYNASTY.

Numbnuts.:rolleyes

MadDog73
05-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Yep, Spurs have had some crappy luck (and bad calls!) in their quest for a repeat.

BUT, they've also had good luck in their winning seasons:

1999: The Memorial Day Miracle.

2003: Horry's shot bouncing out in Game 5 and
Dirk's knee going out.

2005: Horry's Game Winner in Game 5 vs Detroit.

2007: Do I even need to go there?!? Every Suns fan has been crying about it for over a year now.

Now we need another Miracle this year....

we win the series, no one remembers the No Call.

We lose.... just another bitter memory of Fisher, the Lakers, and Crawford.

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
3 titles in 5 years, the best winning percentage in the regular season for the last 11 years(in all sports), the best playoff winning percentage the last 11 years= DYNASTY.

Numbnuts.:rolleyesNah dumbass. A Dynasty rules in succession. A dynasty doesn't win a title and then fail to even get back to the Finals to defend it. Look up all other Sports dynasties and you'll find that the Spurs are the only "dynasty" that has never even defended a conference crown, let alone a league crown.

Dynasties don't flop in the 2nd round year after year after year. Do your homework.

Lakers_55
05-29-2008, 01:05 PM

Numbnuts.:rolleyes

Well, the problem with Spurs being called a true dynasty is, you are reworking the qualifications to fit your needs. Check this post, I lived through it when it happened:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2553572&postcount=56

WCFBaby
05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Get the fuck out of my thread and forum, fuckwad!!!!

STOP WHINING FUCKTARD!

Bandwagon Fan
05-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Another whiny thread. Claimin win % over x amount of years is pointless. The lakers have the highest win % in nba history.