PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me Or Has Duncan Played Like Sh1t?

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I've teased this before in other threads, but how come no one is pointing out how poorly Duncan has been playing relative to what we have come to expect out of our franchise player in the playoffs?

I haven't seen Duncan dominate a single game yet in this post season.

And what is up with all the missed layups and putbacks and bunnies in the paint?

Question.

brettn
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM

Must have been someone else I saw dropping 40 on the Suns in Game 1.

And to call out Duncan at this point is silly. For the most part, he's been our most consistent force this postseason. His defense and rebounding keeps us in games even if he's not putting up 30 points a night.

urunobili
05-29-2008, 12:32 PM
lame thread... TD has been a monster against LA... he just played under his usual level against the Hornets...

loveforthegame
05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
It's just you.

Only Finley has sucked and is trying to screw the Spurs chance of winning.

balli
Didn't he have close to 20, 20 with 3, 3 & 3 last game? (Albeit, he's shooting a relatively low FG% for TD standards.)

Tell ya what- you can have Boozer for him if that's how you really feel.

Fake Dynasty
Are you stupid or something. In this series alone, he's had a 30/18 game, a 29/17 game, and a 20/20 game. This Lakers team is just good enough to overcome that, even with Kobe not getting to the line at all. Phoenix game 1?? What do you want from the dude, 30/30? Be serious.

Bartleby
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I've teased this before in other threads.

then why start a new one? Your observations about Duncan's game were idiotic enough the first time.

vanvannen
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
It is just you. He has been by far the best Spur in the post-season (though he layed and egg in the Hornets series).
Ginobili on the other hand, has been probably the least productive of the Big Three.

SenorSpur
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
His numbers have been stellar, especially rebounds. It's just that he's missed his share of shots that he normally makes.

1Parker1
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
:lol Lame thread. He missed some gimme layups in the 4th quarter in Game 4 that he would normally make, but I think at that point he was just gassed from playing 42 minutes. He still managed to grab 17 rebounds in his "sh1t game"

I don't think people realize the kinds of defenses Duncan has had to fight through for the past 3 rounds. Going against 360 pound Shaq, long arms and double teams of the Hornets, and now the long arms and double teams of two 7 footers in Gasol/Odom all the while manning the paint for the Spurs.

Spurs fans are very, very spoiled.

T Park
05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Duncan has been fine.

Dudes had 3 20 20 games these playoffs.

Had they taken care of business in game 5 vs New Orleans and won that in 6, gotten some time off between then and the western finals, things would be different, but oh well.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Game 1 versus the Suns was back in April. Stay current.

You guys pile on Ginobili and Parker and Finley and Horry and Bowen, but why is Duncan absolved?

Numbers don't lie:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/career_stats.html

Duncan is posting playoff lows in FG%, FT%, Assists, Blocks and Points per game.

I don't appreciate the name calling. Learn some Popd@mn respect for those that have done more for this Forum than you will probably contribute to this world.

spurs4life0007
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
tim crys way to much, just shut up and play the game....if he does this he will do fine.....

Fake Dynasty
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Duncan has been fine.

Dudes had 3 20 20 games these playoffs.

Had they taken care of business in game 5 vs New Orleans and won that in 6, gotten some time off between then and the western finals, things would be different, but oh well.Nobody said defending titles was easy. For the Spurs, it's been impossible to this point.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
I am a huge Duncan fan, so I can appreciate the apologists, but again:

Duncan is posting playoff lows in FG%, FT%, Assists, Blocks and Points per game.

He has not seized control and dominated games like he has in playoffs past.

And the misses are very disconcerting.

SenorSpur
05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Remember Tim is the last line of defense on one end and the sole point of interior post offense on the other. At this stage, it'd be nice if he had another rim-protector and rebounder along side him in the way of a backup PF.

ElNono
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM

Hmm, no.

This year numbers so far:

FG%: 0.454 (Career Playoff low is 0.453 in 01-02)
FT%: 0.638 (Career Playoff low is 0.632 in 03-04)
Assists: 2.9 (Career Playoff low is 1.9 in 98-99)
Blocks: 2.1 (Career Playoff low is 1.9 in 05-06)
PPG: 20.3 (This one is, so far, the his lowest since his rookie season where he had 20.7)

Why do you even post links if you're not even going to take a look at it?

FAIL thread.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Hmm, no.

This year numbers so far:

FG%: 0.454 (Career Playoff low is 0.453 in 01-02)
FT%: 0.638 (Career Playoff low is 0.632 in 03-04)
Assists: 2.9 (Career Playoff low is 1.9 in 98-99)
Blocks: 2.1 (Career Playoff low is 1.9 in 05-06)
PPG: 20.3 (This one is, so far, the his lowest since his rookie season where he had 20.7)

Why do you even post links if you're not even going to take a look at it?

FAIL thread.

Go fvck yourself, dude.

First off, by your comparisons, he's exactly .001 off from his FG% low and .006 from his FT% low and 0.2 off from his Blocks low.

And I was looking at his Career Playoff Averages anyway.

The bottom line is that Duncan is not having a strong playoffs by his usual standards, as the numbers and you have just attested.

You are FAILed abortion.

bigdog
05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Tim has been dominant this whole post season except a few games in the New Orleans series.

He's playing great ball, just that he's not shooting as well as we would like him to, and his play looks sloppy, but he's really our most consistent player.

kace
05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Duncan is good in these PO. he's very solid. but you got to be blind to not see he's not as dominant as by the past. He had such an incredible level few years ago that even if he's less good, he's still one of the best big man in the league and will be for 2 or 3 years again.

and it brings some questions:

tony is now very reliable in PO. he could be even better in the future since he has always increase his level each year. but i don't see him becoming a franchise player as Tim was.

Manu has still some years at a good level but he will always be irregular. not a typical franchise player either.

so, even if with a still very good and reliable Duncan, a still good manu and a tony in his prime, we can see the future with optimism, it's clear we'll need some help next year in order to be a first class contender. especially some help in scoring outside the big 3, at least one offensive threat in frontcourt and another one from the perimeter.

brettn
05-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Now you're just being an idiot. Don't get mad because people have pointed out how ridiculous you calling out Duncan is. And you plainly asked why he hasn't dominated a game this postseason. Game 1 against PHX was this postseason. And if you're talking about current, his stats this playoff series:

Game 1: 30pts, 18 rebs, 4blocks
Game 2: 12pts, 16 rebs
Game 3: 22pts, 21 rebs, 5 assts
Game 4: 29pts, 17 rebs, 3 steals, 3 blocks

Calling out a guy with those kind of stats is just ridiculous. The only thing you can really use against him is his minor struggles from the field, but he's certainly not the only one on the team that hasn't been shooting the ball well. If we lose this series, it is no way, shape or form because of Duncan. But you can keep thinking it is in your delusional little world.

peskypesky
05-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Duncan is playing HUGE. Anyone who thinks different is fucked in the head.

polandprzem
05-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Ghost with self humilitation once again

ElNono
05-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Go fvck yourself, dude.

First off, by your comparisons, he's exactly .001 off from his FG% low and .006 from his FT% low and 0.2 off from his Blocks low.

And I was looking at his Career Playoff Averages anyway.

The bottom line is that Duncan is not having a strong playoffs by his usual standards, as the numbers and you have just attested.

You are FAILed abortion.

What the fuck are you talking about? He's putting better numbers night in and night out than Gasol, KG and Wallace, the other 3 PF/C left in the playoffs.
You sound like fucking Hollinger. What the numbers won't tell you is that he had a 7 game series where he was aggressively double-teamed every single possession. TD is not a stat padder. He won't force the issue just to make numbers look pretty. It's actually pretty amazing the guy is actually posting above average rebounds, considering he played against pretty good rebounders in Chandler, Shaq, Gasol and Odom.

Duncan is fine. He's actually being his dominating self, and it's certainly a relief to see he can still bring it during the playoffs.

So take your numbers, make a little cone and shove them up your ass.

nkdlunch
05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Question.

oh it's just you.

Answer.

rAm
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
GW I don't think I have seen you post anything that comes close to being legit in a long time.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Either use his numbers to point out his brilliance or ignore the numbers and make excuses.

You can't have it both ways.

Any way you dice it, Duncan's playoff averages are not up to par with his career playoff averages.

And you fvcking homers would have to blind yourself to think that Duncan has not missed an inordinate amount of very makeable baskets.

Get off your high horses and think critically for once.

I'm begging you.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I just want to get this straight...

You homers truly believe that Duncan has never played better in the playoffs... in spite of visual and statistical evidence to the contrary?

Question.

jcrod
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM
He has the numbers, but he has been too soft when it counted.

DDS4
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
He's not 2003 Duncan, but he's not exactly playing like shit. It's all relative.

His offensive numbers are slightly down percentage wise if that's what you're after.

adidas11
05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
He has the numbers, but he has been too soft when it counted.

+1

OldSilentHill
05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Duncan has been one of the best Spurīs player this series against Lakers.

jcrod
05-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I think he just relying too much on Parker and Manu to take over instead of just steam rolling on his defender like he use too. We need the old Duncan back where he took over games and was clutch when it mattered.

He's going up to soft and waiting for the whistle. He's not being a dominant shot blocker. He far from what he use to be.

brettn
05-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I just want to get this straight...

You homers truly believe that Duncan has never played better in the playoffs... in spite of visual and statistical evidence to the contrary?

Question.

He might have played better in previous playoff seasons, but he damn sure is playing well enough these playoffs, and especially this series, for them to win. You're obviously looking for someone to blame here and it isn't Duncan, sorry.

Bob Lanier
05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Tim has been ineffective against the Lakers, with the exception of his rebounding. His offense is very Pau Gasolesque - soft, meaningless points. His defense isn't close to where it was two or three years ago.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I am saying that despite some good numbers, he's missing way too many important shots.

And the increase in rebounding can be attributed to him grabbing a lot of his misses!

You can't tell me that he's left his stamp on on series thus far and he's had maybe 2 vintage Duncan playoff performances so far.

Everyone on the team needs to be accountable.

I think that his spike in minutes and the extra games that he's had to play has probably exhausted Duncan.

T Park
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I agree ghost he hasn't played well, and I think the lack of a center who can score when hes on the bench has killed him.

Had Splitter and Mahinmi came over next year, I would say that problem was 100% solved. Now that Splitter might not come over, its more in doubt, BUT, I think a tad bit of reloading on the big side, a couple tweaks here and there, and they can reload for another great run next year.

bresilhac
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Tim has been ineffective against the Lakers, with the exception of his rebounding. His offense is very Pau Gasolesque - soft, meaningless points. His defense isn't close to where it was two or three years ago.

What the hell are meaningless points? All points are important in sports where the score is kept. Also, Tim has been excellent in this series. He's more than done his part for the Spurs. It's the other players that have come up short in this series.:flag:

AztecPrincss
05-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Its just you no question about it !XD

AztecPrincss
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Are you kidding me he has gotten more rebounds and points in this series than in any other one..well except for that phoenix game 1! But in rebounds his been exceptional its just that the other foolz are messing up ..Including my baby manu !=[

AztecPrincss
05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I think he still has a long way to go ..The only thing he is lacking in my eyes is the agressiveness! Dont know bout you guys but for next year there has to be sum drastic changes..A lot of ppl has been saying that if had a chance spurs would trade manu!!! Which Im hoping is just Gibberish..

Finley,Stoudamire Gone !Horry Also even thou hes a good rebounder and very good deffensive player but hasnt help us this series at all..Fabricio maybe ..

CubanMustGo
05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I am saying that despite some good numbers, he's missing way too many important shots.

And the increase in rebounding can be attributed to him grabbing a lot of his misses!

You can't tell me that he's left his stamp on on series thus far and he's had maybe 2 vintage Duncan playoff performances so far.

I think that his spike in minutes and the extra games that he's had to play has probably exhausted Duncan.

I think what you are saying changes every time someone points out the flaws in your arguments.

Brutalis
05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I feel Tim has done a superb job on this team. He has dealt with guys not stepping up all playoffs long, and to me Duncan has just as usual been that rock or that engine that just runs things even if it does look broke down.

Duncan has done a great job really. If Manu or Parker had been consistently playing on his level we'd be in a different mood and conversation right now. So whatever.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 04:41 PM
I think what you are saying changes every time someone points out the flaws in your arguments.

Where's the flaw?

All I have is fvcking numbers and common sense to prove what I am saying is right.

Tim is tired, okay?

But don't expect me to believe this is one of his better playoffs, when clearly it is not!

admiralfats
05-29-2008, 05:22 PM

screw that. Everyone on the team needs to be accountable? To whom? To you? What have you done to win this team 4 championships? I think Duncan is nearly beyond reproach at this point to everyone except Pop and his teammates. And if I just had to go with the way I remember games, I think you're right that he's missed some "really easy" shots. But he's still the man on this team, and he's playing great. Maybe not the best he's ever played, but still better than most players in the playoffs. And I expect him to carry us tonight because he's a monster.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
screw that. Everyone on the team needs to be accountable? To whom? To you? What have you done to win this team 4 championships? I think Duncan is nearly beyond reproach at this point to everyone except Pop and his teammates. And if I just had to go with the way I remember games, I think you're right that he's missed some "really easy" shots. But he's still the man on this team, and he's playing great. Maybe not the best he's ever played, but still better than most players in the playoffs. And I expect him to carry us tonight because he's a monster.
Yawn.

Yeah, I know Duncan is the best.

But that does not excuse him from justifiable criticism.

As a whole, these are probably his worst playoffs by his standards.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Worst playoffs only because other teams have focused ALOT of attention on him and forcing him into misses IMO.

michaelwcho
05-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't think he has played like "Sh1t".

Neither do I think he's shot well. You just can't miss every single bank shot and half of your layups and say a guy's playing well. If Amare shot like that, we'd all be lauging at him. Jumping on GW (unfortunate initials) for pointing this out is immature.

It looks like TD is having some fatigue problems and some problems being intimidated by the Lakers (and Hornets) length. I believe he is still capable of dominating because of size, strength, and footwork, but he's just not in a shooting groove.

Offense is a mysterious thing. It comes and goes. Too bad we came up a little small in this series; we easily have a good enough squad to have gone all the way.

duncan228
05-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Yawn.

So what's the point already? By Duncan's standard's it hasn't been his best for reasons pointed out. The attention from defense, he's tired, his team isn't pulling enough weight.

It's a team game, a team win or loss. Duncan has been more than carrying his share. Why call him out?

admiralfats
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Yawn.

I guess I just don't see the point of your criticism. It seems useless and annoying at a time when people are trying to get excited for a team that's in a deep hole. I agree with tpark. in the past, when teams have focused this much on tim, he could kick it out and get reliable support from teammates. If i were an opposing coach, I'd double him harder now too, just because the outside shooters aren't proving themselves. I like to appreciate what we've got, not talk it down into the ground and wait for the day that duncan is really ineffective.

dbreiden83080
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Uh yeah, 30 and 18 in game 1, 22 and 21 in game 3, 29 and 17 last game

He has totally sucked. :rolleyes:rolleyes

dbreiden83080
05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
So what's the point already? By Duncan's standard's it hasn't been his best for reasons pointed out. The attention from defense, he's tired, his team isn't pulling enough weight.

It's a team game, a team win or loss. Duncan has been more than carrying his share. Why call him out?

Exactly, he played great against the Suns, he was just OK against NO, had a tough series but he has played very well against LA. FG% down a bit but he has done his part, we all know Manu is the main reason we are in this hole.

honestfool84
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Tell ya what- you can have Boozer for him if that's how you really feel.

:lmao.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Duncan has been pretty consistent as far as I'm concerned.

Thomas82
05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
It is just you. He has been by far the best Spur in the post-season (though he layed and egg in the Hornets series).
Ginobili on the other hand, has been probably the least productive of the Big Three.

I don't think he layed an egg in that series. Other than him playing with a fever, the Hornets were hell bent on not letting him get off.

Thomas82
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Nobody said defending titles was easy. For the Spurs, it's been impossible to this point.

Yeah, it's hard playing with a bullseye on your chest like the Spurs are this year. Having the title of "Champion" is like being rich and having a lot of money. Once you get it, it's even harder to keep it because everybody is trying to take it from you.

atxrocker
05-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Had they taken care of business in game 5 vs New Orleans and won that in 6, gotten some time off between then and the western finals, things would be different, but oh well.

:lol even in defeat, i see spurs fans are still not humble.

GrandeDavid
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I've teased this before in other threads, but how come no one is pointing out how poorly Duncan has been playing relative to what we have come to expect out of our franchise player in the playoffs?

And what is up with all the missed layups and putbacks and bunnies in the paint?

I don't know, but that missing the bunnies shit is costing us games. Tonight, he rises.

Question.

GrandeDavid
05-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Game 1 versus the Suns was back in April. Stay current.

You guys pile on Ginobili and Parker and Finley and Horry and Bowen, but why is Duncan absolved?

Numbers don't lie:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/career_stats.html

I don't appreciate the name calling. Learn some Popd@mn respect for those that have done more for this Forum than you will probably contribute to this world.

He's feeling the cricks and energy drain of being over 30, bro. He's been pounding the paint and boards for well over a decade now, including Wake.

Anti.Hero
05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
His post game has greatly diminished. He settles for these weak fade-away hooks or whatever that bullshit is that he is throwing up more and more.

Anti.Hero
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, it's hard playing with a bullseye on your chest like the Spurs are this year. Having the title of "Champion" is like being rich and having a lot of money. Once you get it, it's even harder to keep it because everybody is trying to take it from you.

Actually, once you have lots of money it is easy to make even more money assuming you are not a moron.

Zero Point Four
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't know about Duncan's playoffs numbers in comparison.

But I can tell you that he still makes a very dramatic impact on a Lakers fan.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I've never seen so many damn flip-floppers as the Spurs fans are. One day Tim is the man, the next he plays like shit. Yeah, I'm sure we all are perfect every day.

Thomas82
05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Actually, once you have lots of money it is easy to make even more money assuming you are not a moron.

Yeah, that's true, but there will still be somebody there to try to take it from you in some form or fashion.

Bob Lanier
05-29-2008, 08:18 PM
What the hell are meaningless points? All points are important in sports where the score is kept. Also, Tim has been excellent in this series. He's more than done his part for the Spurs. It's the other players that have come up short in this series.:flag:
I mean that in order for a big man to be dominant he's either got to be drawing 10 or 12 free throws every night or force the other team's defense to collapse so he can create for his teammates. Duncan's doing neither - he's just forcing up shots, and when he's defended by Gasol he's not hitting a very high percentage of them.

It's like the Spurs' defense on Kobe Bryant.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I like what I am seeing from Duncan tonight. He has that crispness to his game. Maybe no practice and facing elimination has brought out the best in Duncan.

timmydidit
05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
lame thread. Duncan has been the most consistent in this series.. get outta here with your dumb shit

tlongII
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Duncan has been playing great. He's just not getting enough help.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for jinxing it, jerks.

Now Timmy is missing everything in the 2nd half.

MONTENEGRINO
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
In 4 games vs. Lakers:
27,5 ppg and 18,5 rpg
I'd say HE COULDN'T BE WORSE THAN THAT...

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Are you guys watching the same playoffs as I am?

Compare his playoff averages this year vs. his career playoff averages.

Wake the fvck up.

I've never seen Duncan miss so many point-blank shots.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Timmy's shot goes Ice Cold in the 4th Q all series. I wonder what the % is for his 4th Q shooting because it's gotta be gawd awful.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-29-2008, 10:29 PM
I've never seen Duncan miss so many point-blank shots.

it's brick after brick after brick.... I just don't get it. Even easy shots are off the side of the rim.

UCantHandleTheTruth
05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Duncan has had an underwhelming playoff aside from that huge game 1 against the Suns, whether the Spurs homers want to admit it or not.

There's no excuse for him not destroying a euro choker like Pau Gasoft. He has also had a bunch of 4th quarter no shows. You guys would be all over KG for playing the way Duncan is.

Nice turnover, right on cue, by Duncan.

UCantHandleTheTruth
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Duncan doing a big time gag job at the line. He also allowed the biggest board of the game go to that soft Euro Gasol.

Meanwhile, KG was 6-6 at the line with the game on the line last night.

ICE3000
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I am a huge Duncan fan, so I can appreciate the apologists, but again:

He has not seized control and dominated games like he has in playoffs past.

And the misses are very disconcerting.

THOSE AVERAGES ARE DOWN LARGLEY BECAUSE OF THE NEW ORLEANS SERIES

Emeyin
05-29-2008, 10:39 PM

It's you.

Duncan's one of the few that showed up for 80% of the series.

Question.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Did Duncan make any FGs in the second half?

I know he was tired and got little or no support, but I didn't expect him to be held to less than 20 points.

He did not have a Duncan-like playoffs. I don't care how you spin it.

dbreiden83080
05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Did Duncan make any FGs in the second half?

I know he was tired and got little or no support, but I didn't expect him to be held to less than 20 points.

He did not have a Duncan-like playoffs. I don't care how you spin it.

He played good but not great this playoffs, he is not done, he has years left fatigue was a bit of a problem but i will never give up on #21 ever