PDA

View Full Version : How do the Spurs get their tempo back?

2Cleva
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I finally put my finger on what was different about the Spurs this series and its tempo. They used to keep coming and keep coming like Jason in Friday the 13th movies. Now, they fall victim to so many runs that they haven't exerted their will on teams. That was my biggest fear in this series but I never have seen that - even when SA was up big in Game 1 and in Game 3.

I wonder - did Tony Parker's success last season hurt the Spurs?

In the past, the Spurs took their time, made the game a grind, and wore down opponents. Even when they had older guys, they controlled the tempo.

Now, the Spurs almost play like the Suns - relying so much on the 3 point shot and penetration and kick-out. Duncan playing so much as the lone big and going small, trying to push the ball as much as possible.

In freeing Parker, the Spurs may have lost their sole. Now they are the team that takes quick shots and lose their cool. Its not just the Laker series, plenty against NO it happend as well.

Before Game 3, many writers suggested the Spurs slow it down to win but they still haven't did that. They are trying to outrun teams that are faster than them.

Does Pop make the transition this summer or does the Spurs try to keep up with the Jones?

1Parker1
05-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Spurs havent' been able to slow down and control the game? News to me. LA was averaging 112 points coming into this series. Check out how many times they've even broken 100 in 4 games. Kobe Bryant was averaging about 16 FT attempts per game, check out how many he's averaging in this series (and no it's not the refs, it's by design).

Spurs have always relied on 3 primary offenses; Pentration and Kick-outs, great 3 point shooting, and running the offense through Duncan.

It's easy to argue that the Spurs aren't "imposing their will like previous years" when they go on about 7-8 minute droughts where they can't throw the ball into the ocean. When you are primarily getting scoring from 3 players (Parker, Duncan, and Barry).

timvp
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I finally put my finger on what was different about the Spurs this series and its tempo. They used to keep coming and keep coming like Jason in Friday the 13th movies. Now, they fall victim to so many runs that they haven't exerted their will on teams. That was my biggest fear in this series but I never have seen that - even when SA was up big in Game 1 and in Game 3.

In the past, the Spurs took their time, made the game a grind, and wore down opponents. Even when they had older guys, they controlled the tempo.

Now, the Spurs almost play like the Suns - relying so much on the 3 point shot and penetration and kick-out. Duncan playing so much as the lone big and going small, trying to push the ball as much as possible.

In freeing Parker, the Spurs may have lost their sole. Now they are the team that takes quick shots and lose their cool. Its not just the Laker series, plenty against NO it happend as well.

Before Game 3, many writers suggested the Spurs slow it down to win but they still haven't did that. They are trying to outrun teams that are faster than them.

Does Pop make the transition this summer or does the Spurs try to keep up with the Jones?:lol Watch basketball much in the last five years?

The Spurs haven't been a grind it out type team since 2002. They slow the other team down but they turn into a running team when they get the rebound. This slow down version of the Spurs you are talking about is just nonsense the media says to explain why the Spurs are supposedly boring. Truth is, they're offense is hugely reliant on the fast break ... and has been for the last five or so years.

What's hurting the Spurs a bit in the playoffs is they haven't run enough. The last three years, they've played at a much faster tempo than they are now currently playing at. But the Spurs no longer have the horses to keep up. When the Spurs run nowadays, it's almost always only one or two players on the break.

So yeah, this thread is about as erroneous as possible. Spurs have played at a faster pace recently and their now slower pace is what is hurting their offense.

DDS4
05-29-2008, 02:37 PM

Does Pop make the transition this summer or does the Spurs try to keep up with the Jones?

When the Spurs are at their best, they have a good balance of fast breaks and half court sets. Ever since Parker/Manu arrived, the Spurs have been a more dynamic team but the mass media/fans of other teams haven't noticed.

In this series, they haven't done either particularly well and that's partly due to the Lakers.

The Spurs have an identity, they just haven't shown it this series.

oligarchy
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Apparently,

http://www.thescooterstore.com/0508t/c/images/home/home_reclaim_freedom.jpg