PDA

View Full Version : To win this, let's go small...

Kori Ellis
05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I know that it sounds crazy. I have hated small ball in the past. But tonight and the rest of the series, I want the Spurs to go small.

I want this lineup: Tim, Manu, Tony, Bruce, Barry playing major major minutes on the floor together.

Who guards Odom?

Who cares. Odom's play in this series hasn't been affected by Horry, Oberto or a small guarding him. When he's on, he's on. When he's off, he's off.

Who rebounds?

Everyone. It's not like Oberto is pulling down 10+ boards a night. Thomas is too immobile to play against the Lakers. The smalls just have to board. In normal regular season games, they don't concentrate on it because their focus is to get back in transition. But in this series, Manu/Barry should be able to crash the glass and get 5/6 each. Tony can board if he tries. I'm not worried about it.

Run like hell.

In the Suns series in 2005, everyone thought the Spurs slow it down offense would get run out of the gym. Instead, the Spurs ran themselves and ran the Suns out of the playoffs. If the Spurs lose 126-120, so be it. But they gotta score. Parker/Manu/Barry flourish in transition. Duncan and Bowen can run with them. Push constantly and attack all game.

I don't care if Oberto starts. I just don't think a lineup with two bigs in it is going to win this game.

Go small.

Get 1.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I think Ginobili could check Odom.

I think Barry has shown hes athletic enough to guard a wing on the outside.

I just don't know how the rebounding would go.

They SHOULD rebound, but WILL they is another story.

xtremesteven33
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
not a starting lineup. maybe for awhile during the game. but they should keep what they have except start barry not finley

degenerate_gambler
05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
except start barry not finley

Fin should not take his warmups off all night.

200 miles
MIGHT just be crazy enough to work.....

timvp
Pretty good idea. Barry on the court is mandatory in this series. If the Spurs go small, Duncan would need to pull down a lot of rebounds ... but he's done that all series.

If Oberto and Horry start off doing nothing, a switch to small ball gives the Spurs a good shot. Also, if Odom beats you, he beats you ... I can live with Odom trying to carry the team rather than Kobe. But yeah, the Spurs have to score this game to win it. 100+ is needed.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Maybe im an idiot, but for some reason, Horry might have a good game tonight.

his best game vs the Lakers in the 2004 playoffs was game 6 I believe, the last game of the series.

DarrinS
Fuckit, let's go tiny and start Damon Stoudemire. Just kidding.

Hey, we need some speed on the floor, so if we have to go small, screw it.

himat
I know that it sounds crazy. I have hated small ball in the past. But tonight and the rest of the series, I want the Spurs to go small.

You can't do that the whole series because the Lakers have Phil Jackson as coach. They will adjust. The Spurs might try to go small and change things up to steal Game 5. Then the Spurs need to come out with fire and protect homecourt. After that Game 7 is anybody's game. The Spurs have to win Game 5 before future thoughts though.

Emanuel20
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
It sounds like a gutsy move because of rebounding woos.
Also, about speeding the tempo, I think that will be the key in the beginning of game 5 because it will get everyone involved and everyone will contribute more. Also, Tony is unstoppable in transition. I say go for it!

G-Nob
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I thought we tried that in Game 4 and Bill Walton's kid dominated for that stretch.

DarrinS
05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
They'll need to get out to a large lead, so that it won't evaporate in streches when Vaughn subs.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Not a terrible concept with one exception.

I want heavy doses of Duncan, Barry, Manu, Parker and Udoku.

No one on Earth can contain Kobe, so I am sick of suffering with Bowen on offense.

Odom would eat Manu alive, but I think that Udoku can stick him.

Barry is our most well-rested player (he was hurt this past season) and deserves more burn after last game.

The Big Three are the Big Three.

And I still believe in Robert Horry. I would like to see some cameos from him, because he plays smart and has to have a shot or two left. Plus, I hope he fouls Kobe really hard.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:28 PM
:lol

Udoka has gotten eaten ALIVE by Kobe this whole series.

Bowen's offense is NOT the reason they are behind 3-1.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Read, retard.

Udoku guards Odom.

Manu on Kobe.

You can't contain Kobe, so why try with Bowen and give up 1/5th of your offense on the other end?

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah wear out one of your best scorers on the defensive end. Great :tu

Your stupid Bowen hate knows no bounds.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Whatever they do, Spurs got this one. :tu

Brutalis
05-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Where's DRob when you need him.

Ghost Writer
05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah wear out one of your best scorers on the defensive end. Great :tu

Your stupid Bowen hate knows no bounds.

You moron.

Kobe doesn't get tired, because he doesn't have to ever guard Bowen.

No one does.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:35 PM
You moron.

No one does.

Ginobili does.

If Udoka is on the court, Kobe guards him. Udoka isn't a slasher nor great offensive player, his game is the same as Bowens. Maybe worse because hes not as good a shooter.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Maybe im an idiot, but for some reason, Horry might have a good game tonight.

his best game vs the Lakers in the 2004 playoffs was game 6 I believe, the last game of the series.

Man i have to disagree. Before the series started I said Horry cannot deliver against his old team. He failed miserably in 2004 as well. Hope I'm wrong and you are right tonight but I just don't see. He isn't hitting his shots and when he's open, he passes the ball.

remingtonbo2001
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Why not?

Let's do it!

xtremesteven33
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
dumb idea to start small. spurs are just missing open shots. bottom line

Kori Ellis
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM

I didn't say start small.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM

So you play all of your best shooters...

:lol How does that not fix it?

xtremesteven33
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM
I didn't say start small.

i thought thats what you were insinuating

xtremesteven33
05-29-2008, 05:41 PM
So you play all of your best shooters...

:lol How does that not fix it?

because barry cant rebound nor defend, ginobili is not really mobile to chase for rebounds and Duncan will exhert too much energy trying to defend and try carry the offense at times would be too much

Kori Ellis
You moron.

No one does.

He wouldn't have to guard Udoka either - Udoka isn't any better offensively than Bowen. And Bowen has been pretty good offensively in the series. But Udoka could be the main sub for Bowen/Manu/Barry. I don't want to see Finley at all, except cheering on the bench.

T Park

I think what she meant was, and I apologize for this.

Is you start the game normally, and if Oberto and Horry aren't cutting it, you go small.

Apologies if thats not what you meant Kori.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:42 PM
He wouldn't have to guard Udoka either - Udoka isn't any better offensively than Bowen. And Bowen has been pretty good offensively in the series. But Udoka could be the main sub for Bowen/Manu/Barry. I don't want to see Finley at all, except cheering on the bench.

Yeah I agree. Finley should be Steve Smithed.

Unfortunately, I don't think Pop will go with this idea.

trjons
05-29-2008, 05:42 PM
I think Odom and Gasol would combine for 60 points and 30 boards if you ran with that lineup.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2008, 05:43 PM

I don't care if Oberto starts

I am saying start normally (except no Fin). And as soon as the Spurs have trouble scoring go small and run like hell. The key isn't the smallness; it's the running.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I think Odom and Gasol would combine for 60 points and 30 boards if you ran with that lineup.

Gasol no.

Odom? Who knows, hes a crap shoot.

Brutalis
05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I am saying start normally (except no Fin). And as soon as the Spurs have trouble scoring go small and run like hell.

I agree otherwise we play catch up all night. It's elimination, nothing to lose.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
It doesn't matter about Odom. Oberto/Horry don't effect Odom at all. The only thing that has effected Odom in this series is Odom.

timvp
05-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Ghost wants more offense so he subs out a guy who is shooting 52% in the series for a guy shooting 35% in the series. Ginobili is limited so Ghost sticks him on Kobe all game.

Amazing,

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
It doesn't matter about Odom. Oberto/Horry don't effect Odom at all. The only thing that has effected Odom in this series is Odom.

Exactly.

Who the hell knows, the different look by that lineup might throw him off. It's not like hes a mentally tough SOB or anything.

xtremesteven33
05-29-2008, 05:50 PM
cmon guys, the lakers are not a puzzle we cant figure out. we defend very well against them,the only thing thats killing us is FATIGUE and poor shooting.

all we need is a boost from someone else besides the big 3. Barry stepped up in game 4 but Gino was no where to be found. we just need to stick to our plan as always and wait till our shots fall in.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
we just need to stick to our plan as always and wait till our shots fall in.

You can't always wait til your shots fall. By running, you get more possessions and more chances to score. Increasing your opportunities to outscore them.

Pop said before Game 4, he thought they needed to score 102 to win. So he's on board for a high scoring game.

rascal
05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
The spurs need to hit many 3 pt. shots. Thats the way the team was built. They were not built to run like hell. Most of the team could not hang long enough if they even tried that.

Trying to run against a younger, quicker more athletic team doesn't make any sense.

T Park
05-29-2008, 05:55 PM
cmon guys, the lakers are not a puzzle we cant figure out. we defend very well against them,the only thing thats killing us is FATIGUE and poor shooting.

all we need is a boost from someone else besides the big 3. Barry stepped up in game 4 but Gino was no where to be found. we just need to stick to our plan as always and wait till our shots fall in.

Sticking to the game plan is what lost game 4.

Joe Schmoogins
05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't think we should play small unless Udoka is in to help board. Last game we got absolutely dominated on the defensive glass... going small does not help us board whatsoever. Udoka is our best rebounding small, and in order to give us a chance he needs to be in when we go small.

Otherwise I say we just stick to our guns... with more Barry, and little to no Finley. We gotta remember that our game plan for the most part has worked out with the exception being that Manu absolutely vanished in games 1 and 3. I expect him to show up tonight... and if he does, we win with our basic original game plan and a little extra barry. However, if Manu doesn't show up, it really doesn't matter what we do, we're toast anyway.

xtremesteven33
05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
You can't always wait til your shots fall. By running, you get more possessions and more chances to score. Increasing your opportunities to outscore them.

Pop said before Game 4, he thought they needed to score 102 to win. So he's on board for a high scoring game.

u bring a good point but i dont think a motion offense would be good on the road. maybe at home but on the road against a very fast triangle mined team like the lakers, it might not work

Joe Schmoogins
05-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Sticking to the game plan is what lost game 4.

our terrible rebounding, and the absence of Manu is what lost game 4.

T Park
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
our terrible rebounding, and the absence of Manu is what lost game 4.

Wich was part of the original gameplan.

Had they gone small in that 4th quarter with said lineup, then things are different.

tp2021
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I think "Udoku" is more annoying than spelling "Elliott" with two T's.
Timvp, can you make it say something funny, like "Nash is my Homeboy"?

Kori Ellis
05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Oberto is averaging 3 rebounds in this series.

I think Barry could probably get 3 ;)

Brutalis
05-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I think I could get 3 honestly.

Joe Schmoogins
05-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Wich was part of the original gameplan.

Had they gone small in that 4th quarter with said lineup, then things are different.

Wow... please enlighten me as to how terrible rebounding and Manu MIA were part of the original gameplan.

T Park
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow... please enlighten me as to how terrible rebounding and Manu MIA were part of the original gameplan.

Your making this way more complicated than it is...

T Park
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
I think I could get 3 honestly.

Rasho Nesterovic could get 3....

Joe Schmoogins
05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Your making this way more complicated than it is...

I'm just saying that we still had a great shot to win by sticking to our original gameplan... if we could have just rebounded the ball, and if Manu would have showed up to play... both of which were consistently there for us this season.
Hindsight is 20/20.

T Park
05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm just saying that we still had a great shot to win by sticking to our original gameplan... if we could have just rebounded the ball, and if Manu would have showed up to play... both of which were consistently there for us this season.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Except for that game plan has resulted in 3 losses.

Joe Schmoogins
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Except for that game plan has resulted in 3 losses.

3 losses not because of the game plan, but because of a lack of execution.

DazedAndConfused
05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
The only chance you have at winning tonight is if your shooters are hot from 3pt land. It's the only reason you beat NOH in NO, everyone was red hot from 3pt land for pretty much the entire game.

1Parker1
05-29-2008, 07:08 PM
If I recall correctly, that was the lineup that had brought the Spurs back to within 2 points last game.

I actually think this is probably what Pop is thinking as well.

Bandwagon Fan
05-29-2008, 07:41 PM
You guys have gotta be kidding me. Small ball against the Lakers? They have a much higher FG% and a much higher ppg average. This is literally the last time you'd want to do that against. The only reason SA has stood a chance in this series is because of the slow games. Before you played LA, you won every time you held an opponent to less then 100 points and lost when you didnt with one lone exceptions (game 1 vs. suns with OVERTIME). Small ball is exactly the way LA would have liked to have played it in the first place, the only hope you'd have of winning is if you somehow confused them by switching things up. But I wouldnt count on it with Phil J on the bench, and if it doesnt work you're looking at a blowout the size of or greater then Game 2.

Also, Gasol (and even walton and sasha moreso) would be a real offensive threats this way as he has been in just about every other series and every other game. You'd see Kobe drop much more. Seriously, what are you guys thinking?

mystargtr34
05-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I think Ginobili could check Odom.

I think Barry has shown hes athletic enough to guard a wing on the outside.

I just don't know how the rebounding would go.

They SHOULD rebound, but WILL they is another story.

I hope your being sarcastic?.

Manu gets posted up like hes not there by 6-7 forwareds like Luke Walton.