PDA

View Full Version : Manu and the Olympics

TMTTRIO
05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I know that Manu loves to represent his country but if he's this bad off like he is now I really hope he doesn't:depressed

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/05/tom_orsborn_man_4.html

May 30, 2008
Tom Orsborn: Manu says ankle won't keep him out of Olympics
LOS ANGELES - Manu Ginobili finally admitted his sore left ankle hampered him throughout the Western Conference finals.

"Iā€™m not in my best shape ever," the Spurs guard said after Game 5. "I never felt like this in (past seasons). It was kind of hard for me to fight through it and forget it. I tried to play aggressively regardless. I tried to let the game come to me, and that didnā€™t work. It was frustrating."

Ginobili said results of an MRI on the ankle were negative.

"It didn't show much other than swelling," Ginobili said.

Asked if it would prevent him from playing for Argentina in the Olympics this summer, Ginobili said confidently, "It will be fine."

In 31 minutes off the bench Thursday, Ginobili notched nine points, seven rebounds, three assists and two blocks. He also had three turnovers. The ankle certainly was a factor in Ginobili's sub-par play throughout the series, but he said credit should also be given to the Lakers defense.

"They played hard on me," Ginobili said. "They played good defense on me, and I wasnā€™t ready."

Emanuel20
05-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Can he not go even though he was picked for the team?
If he does not go, I expect Argentina to complain..no?

timmydidit
05-29-2008, 10:59 PM
he will go.. and than he'll be shitty next season Gurreeaat

caliraven
05-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Uh, rehab Manu. They can play without you.

it's me
05-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I hope he does... he did not play last summer... started the RS strong for what??????? to end like his....I rather have him playing 27 min. and scoring 10 ppg on the RS and get to the playoffs strong.

thekingrobert
two weeks rest will do wonders for Manu and after losing all you want to do is play some ball

Tek_XX
I expect Manu to be flying up and down the court like fucking superman.

Argiebabe
05-29-2008, 11:03 PM
There is a lot of time for him to recover...
I think he will be ok!
I really wanted him to win another ring this year...:depressed
:flag: I still love you Spurs!

it's me
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM

know what.... I started to think that this was the beginning of the end for him... sad but :depressed

MarceloM!
05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Love you Manu. thank you for your contribution and we, the argentinian people, are very proud of you. I will watch you with our Basketball team at Beijing. VAAAMOOOSSS MANUUU CARRAAAJOOOO!!!!!!! VAMOOOSSS ARGENTINAAAA!!!

sassystriker
05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Manu just need to rest and he'll be good to go again. With his competitive nature and patriotism, he'll never agree to rest for the olympics. He'll want to defend their title. And this lost is just good because he'll have longer time to rest and prepare for the olympic games. I love Manu! God help him heal!

Holt's Cat
05-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Likely what will happen is that the Spurs will bring him along slowly early next season. I wish he would just take the summer off, but you know he wouldn't pass on an opportunity to represent Argentina in the Olympics.

Bruno
05-30-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm quite worried about Manu's health. A whole summer of rest would have been welcome give the way he has finished the season.
Spurs will have to be very careful next year with Manu's health and playing time.

urunobili
05-30-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm quite worried about Manu's health. A whole summer of rest would have been welcome give the way he has finished the season.
Spurs will have to be very careful next year with Manu's health and playing time.

This could be a blessing in disguise.. we need an athletic 2 on the mix any way... time to develop one...

I am SURE Manu will try to come with a vengeance in the Olympics... he won;t just let it go... :downspin:

E20
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
If he does play hopefully it can be like in 2004-2005, where he played in the Olympics and was a beast in the PO's that following year.

T Park
05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Eh, maybe some were right.

His best playoffs were after he played in world championships and or the olympics.

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
TIM duncan didnt cry to the nuggets, the sonics, the suns or the wallaces when he was playin on 2 bumb ankles in 05

Los Spurs
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I wish Manu the best in the Olympics.

SenorSpur
05-30-2008, 11:58 AM
For all Spurs fans, be afraid. Be very afraid.

If the Spurs thought they needed a young swingman when Manu was healthy, they'll probably need two now.

E20
05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Eh, maybe some were right.

His best playoffs were after he played in world championships and or the olympics.
If I recall correctly he was pretty well rested in the regular season that year.

mytespurs
I was worried when I saw that Manu would participate in the Olympics but it doesn't surprise me. He's a competitor and what he couldn't do in the finals, I bet he'll make up for it in the Olympics as well as next season. :)

I guess the US will be the favorite come Olympic time but I'll be rooting for Argentina as well.

ElNono
Contrary to popular wisdom, and something I mentioned before, I think Pop needs to start playing Manu longer during the regular season. He needs to start learning how to pace himself while being productive on the court even when his legs are not as fresh. Pop always says he regulates his minutes because Manu always plays all out, but I think if we're going to have Manu here for the next 3 or 4 years, we're going to need him to start learning how to pace himself, to learn how to pick his spots, and to still be able to contribute in a meaningful way when his legs can't drive to the bucket.

DaDakota
05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I am going to be rooting for Manu and Scola this year.....welcome to the World of the Houston Rockets.

Yao has been doing it for years.

:D

DD

Bruno
05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I am SURE Manu will try to come with a vengeance in the Olympics... he won;t just let it go... :downspin:

I rather see him with a vengeance in the 2009 playoffs...

MaNuMaNiAc
05-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I really think that he shouldn't play in the Olympics. He's already gotten Argentina a gold medal. Its enough. Now he should focus on getting as many championships under his belt as possible. This means getting the most rest during the summer, and coming fresh into next season.

ElNono
05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I really think that he shouldn't play in the Olympics. He's already gotten Argentina a gold medal. Its enough. Now he should focus on getting as many championships under his belt as possible. This means getting the most rest during the summer, and coming fresh into next season.

That's really fool's gold. How did that work for this year?
Yeah, Manu had a career season in the regular season, but he was spent when it mattered the most.
You know, I actually think this will force Pop to actually look hard out there for another energy guy (Delfino perhaps?, Pargo?), and to rebuild the bench with more scoring options, so he can rest Manu, Tony and TD more.

timaios
05-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Wow... Are you sure you're from Argentina ?
I am french and i will root for Argentina !

BiZNicK
05-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Manu shouldn't even attempt the olympics.

Not only does he need his offseason rest...but...who the fuck is going to be Team USA?? Not Argentina.

urunobili
05-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow... Are you sure you're from Argentina ?
I am french and i will root for Argentina !

i am Uruguayan and i will be rooting for Argentina too...

For all the suck ups not wanting manu to go.. just remember we win a championship every time he comes back form intl competition... just suck it and stop drinking :whine

chaco
05-30-2008, 02:22 PM

:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope

Argentina JJOO Gold medal > Spurs (Manu/Fabri) NBA Champs.

angel_luv
05-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I am glad Gino will be in the Olympics.
I am rooting for him, as always. :)

beachwood
05-30-2008, 02:27 PM

For some reason, that's the only thing i will ever expect from him. Nothing more, nothing less.

nkdlunch
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
there is no way Manu misses the Olympics. Ok, only way would be if he steps on a land mine.

This is his last chance ever and to Manu, Olympics is >>>> any NBA championship.

I wish he would just retire from olympic team. retire on top because Argentina has no chance to get the gold this time.

baseline bum
05-30-2008, 02:37 PM
There's no way Manu should miss the Olympics, and any Spurs fan who thinks he should is being selfish as hell. Besides, I can't wait to see them play (although I'm sure it will have to be off torrents since our Olympic coverage is shit in the US).

T Park
05-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah Argentina vs USA should be damn good tv.

hater
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Manu will avenge to Kobe in the Olympics!

urunobili
05-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Manu will avenge to Kobe in the Olympics!

when Kobe was hugging him after the game i think he told him something like "see you at the olympics" Manu will backfire then... i am so sure... :toast

timvp
05-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Usually I understand and even root for Manu in the Olympics. But this year is different. While the Spurs' poor play wasn't all Manu's fault, I honestly believe a 100% healthy Manu would have meant championship #5.

And after the MRI on his ankle only showed a bruise and the same tendinitis he's had since 2002, it's pretty fair to say that fatigue played a large role in Manu's demise. Maybe it was 50/50 fatigue and ankle ... maybe even more on the fatigue side.

Anyways, he's on the other side of 30 now and it's going to be damn tough for him to go from his current state, to the Olympics, to the regular season and then still have gas for the 2009 playoffs. I just doesn't compute.

The only way it might work is if Manu plays like 25 minutes a game during the regular season next year. Pop and Manu should also invent an injury to keep him out a month or two in the middle of the season.

If Manu is going to put the Olympics ahead of the Spurs, which is his right and the Spurs knew that when they drafted him, there is going to have to be some extreme measures taken to make sure a repeat of 2008 playoffs doesn't take place. In all honesty, Manu hasn't peaked in the playoffs since 2005. Since then, his best basketball has come in the regular season. 2009 playoffs must be different for the Spurs to have a chance. If that means 20 minutes per game and only playing 40 games, that's what has to be done.

1Parker1
05-30-2008, 04:06 PM
If you play him only 20 minutes a game all season long, how exactly do you think his stamina is going to be upheld when he has to play 38-42 minutes in the postseason every other night?

spurschick
05-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Pop and Manu should also invent an injury to keep him out a month or two in the middle of the season.

Gotta love those stomach viruses... they can last for weeks.

timvp
05-30-2008, 04:14 PM
If you play him only 20 minutes a game all season long, how exactly do you think his stamina is going to be upheld when he has to play 38-42 minutes in the postseason every other night?Ginobili still only averaged 30-33 minutes in the playoffs. But what you do is you gradually start upping his minutes late in the season. The last few weeks of the season, you play him 32-35 minutes a game just to warm him up.

If the Spurs keep running Ginbobili into the ground, there will never be a championship number five. Ginobili and Pop need to figure it out ... especially when he's going to be using a percentage of his fuel reserves in the Olympics.

Cherry
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah Argentina vs USA should be damn good tv.

In the finals please! not before :(

T Park
05-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah I've said since day 1 that they've come over, the international extra curricular activities need to stop.

Cherry
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah I've said since day 1 that they've come over, the international extra curricular activities need to stop.

I think this is his last time (maybe)
Is hard to say goodbye to that team.

T Park
05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I think this is his last time (maybe)
Is hard to say goodbye to that team.

Sorry to say, but if Im Peter Holt I tell manu, look, rest.
No Olympics, but thats how its gotta be. He won't though.

v2freak
05-30-2008, 05:16 PM
There's no way Manu should miss the Olympics, and any Spurs fan who thinks he should is being selfish as hell. Besides, I can't wait to see them play (although I'm sure it will have to be off torrents since our Olympic coverage is shit in the US).

I would not call it selfish. The Spurs are the organization that pay him to perform, and they want to protect their investment.

:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope

Argentina JJOO Gold medal > Spurs (Manu/Fabri) NBA Champs.

The thread that unites us all is that we are all Spurs fans...

Cherry
05-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Sorry to say, but if Im Peter Holt I tell manu, look, rest.
No Olympics, but thats how its gotta be. He won't though.

Pop told Manu to rest last year but the deal was let him play in the olympics this year.

Bruno
05-30-2008, 05:41 PM
There is no way Spurs told Manu not to play the Olympics. It's damn too important for him.

Manu playing the Olympics isn't the perfect scenario for Spurs and the 2008-2009 season but they had to deal with that.

As timvp said, Spurs will have to give him a lot of rests during the regular season but to do that they will need to get a quite good offensive swingman this summer. The west will damn though next year, Spurs will have to find a way to rest Manu without missing the playoffs.

SequSpur
05-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Manu was horrible this year. Yeah, he had some highlights, but that's it. The Spurs got just to where they should be and were quickly disposed of.

The Spurs need to change that position. Manu is no longer a threat. AT ALL.

He should be traded immediately.

midgetonadonkey
05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Once Manu puts on that Argentina jersey he is on an opposing team and thus the enemy. I hope Argentina is out as soon as possible and the USA takes the gold.

But he is being a selfish prick for not resting up.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Manu was horrible this year. Yeah, he had some highlights, but that's it. The Spurs got just to where they should be and were quickly disposed of.

Hope you are just joking. I know you are still sore for the loss but this statement is ridiculous.

It was because of Manu pretty much that the SPurs even played the playoffs.

He was the best guy all season.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Nonsense. Come on Manumaniac give me a break!!

You know better than anyone Manu will not miss his last shot at another olympic medal. Olympics are a 4-year event so there's not so many shots you can have in while in your prime. He's gonna try getting another one for sure hurt or not.

kaji157
05-30-2008, 06:16 PM

Yeah, an horrible season being the leading scorer and not having the rest TD and TP had midway the season, sure.

You seem like you didn“t realize that this core has shown that they rebound quite well from failures.

About those arguing seriously (because this guy can go to the trade manu thread) about the Olympics, i think Manu will only play by then if he feels he can help the team, he will go with the team anyway, but he will only play if he feels ready, after this last series he must have realized how slow his game is when the ankle is this bad so he won“t be putting himself on Argentina“s way if he sees himself as a stone in the road.

Now, if Manu plays, it will do wonders for him, a player competitive as he is needs to play to forget, and get hunger again, after every International Competition he has played very good on crucial moments (i read this in an article) and this can only be good for this team.

I would love the Spurs to sign Delfino, a player i like a lot, good defender and offensive player, very gifted, he had some issues with coaches in the past, but he always play great in the NT when Manu is playing with him (actually not playing, sharing the team i mean) and maybe Manu can work with him to make him the 13-15 ppg player we need (he averaged 9 ppg this season) with the Raptors playing 23 mins per game, that“s about what he will play here (he plays both SG and SF) and is a very good rebounder considering his size (6-6 like Manu but averaged almost the same as Manu by playing 10 less mpg).

Overall i think this is doable, even he is a RFA Toronto will not try to resign him unless he accepts a very bad offer, so we can give it a try, also having Manu and Oberto can make him choose us over other teams if a bigger offer is presented, 4 years at 12 millions will make it.

spurschick
05-30-2008, 07:49 PM
I was listening to ESPN radio on the way home and Don Harris said he had spoken to Manu about this after game 2. Manu said that the Olympics is the most fun he has as a basketball player. The NBA is his "job" and he knows how important it is, but he's not going to give up the fun of playing with his national team until he has to.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Manu is a competitor. He deserves to go to the Olympics and defend the gold, because it's a once in a life time thing. He'll never have the opportunity to play the Olympics, and I'm sure he'll be fine with two weeks rest.

It really sucks that Manu's had his two best regular seasons, back to back, only to get out of rhythm during the playoff due to injury or adjusting to his role in 2007.

Anyway, it sucks that we couldn't repeat but hopefully we'll be ready in 2009, and Manu peaks at the right time that year.

milkyway21
05-30-2008, 10:05 PM
if Manu play in the Olympics and beat Kobe that would really be :lmao

SpurOutofTownFan
05-30-2008, 10:07 PM

I saw manu and kobe talking at the end of the game and I'm pretty sure they said somehting to each other about the olympics. manu is going to take it from kobe

Russ
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I will be patriotically hoping the US will lose -- to everybody.:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I saw manu and kobe talking at the end of the game and I'm pretty sure they said somehting to each other about the olympics. manu is going to take it from kobe

It would be sweet revenge if Manu plays like Manu by August and actually eliminates the U.S. team again with Kobe Lebron, etc. :lmao

Though I doubt it...but you never know. It'd certainly shut up the unwarranted national media attention they gave to Manu just because he played against the precious Lakers, where they practically blamed him for the Spurs losing.
As if they gave a shit about the Spurs, to know what they're actually talking about, prior to the Laker matchup.

greens
05-30-2008, 10:11 PM

I missed the last few minutes of the game. Did Manu give Kobe a congratulations hug?

Russ
05-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Kobe has demanded to be traded because the US didn't win the last Olympics. :)

carina_gino20
05-30-2008, 10:36 PM
I missed the last few minutes of the game. Did Manu give Kobe a congratulations hug?

Yeah, he did. They exchanged a few words.

Anyway, there's no way Manu is missing these Olympics, because it's his last good shot. He'll give it his all, too. Part of me wishes that he'll just take this summer to rest up, but part of me also excepts nothing less than Manu's full commitment to his national squad.

And I hope Argentina plays another warm-up tournament in SG so I can see him again. :lol

timvp
05-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I was listening to ESPN radio on the way home and Don Harris said he had spoken to Manu about this after game 2. Manu said that the Olympics is the most fun he has as a basketball player. The NBA is his "job" and he knows how important it is, but he's not going to give up the fun of playing with his national team until he has to.Good thing Manu was the one who said that because anyone else on the team would be roasted for such remarks.

milkyway21
05-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Good thing Manu was the one who said that because anyone else on the team would be roasted for such remarks.

good thing "Fiba sucks" because Duncan won't ever say playing in the Olympics is such a fun. :lol

BTW, I love the dream team, I always cheer for them, but hey if they will play on 08-08-08 I will be cheering for Manu and Oberto (& Scola).

spurschick
05-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Good thing Manu was the one who said that because anyone else on the team would be roasted for such remarks.

Keep in mind that this was Don Harris paraphrasing the conversation, but I don't doubt the comments about him having fun with the national team. Since it's something that you're not paid for, I can see where it might be more of a relaxed vibe.

kuato
06-03-2008, 12:40 AM
I would not call it selfish. The Spurs are the organization that pay him to perform, and they want to protect their investment.

The thread that unites us all is that we are all Spurs fans... --------> Yeahhhhh !!! god saves capitalism !!! fuck off the love for the sport and the team !! :downspin: :ihit :depressed

Typhoon
06-03-2008, 12:48 AM

Epic fail, seriously you fgt.

angelbelow
06-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Manu is a competitor. He deserves to go to the Olympics and defend the gold, because it's a once in a life time thing. He'll never have the opportunity to play the Olympics, and I'm sure he'll be fine with two weeks rest.

It really sucks that Manu's had his two best regular seasons, back to back, only to get out of rhythm during the playoff due to injury or adjusting to his role in 2007.

Anyway, it sucks that we couldn't repeat but hopefully we'll be ready in 2009, and Manu peaks at the right time that year.

agree. this is also why i want to draft/sign an nba ready/quality sg for the season to limit manus mintues.

he definitely deserves to goto the olympics to defend his gold medal. afterall he was the mvp of that team.

v2freak
06-03-2008, 03:25 AM
--------> Yeahhhhh !!! god saves capitalism !!! fuck off the love for the sport and the team !! :downspin: :ihit :depressed

What?

carina_gino20
06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Keep in mind that this was Don Harris paraphrasing the conversation, but I don't doubt the comments about him having fun with the national team. Since it's something that you're not paid for, I can see where it might be more of a relaxed vibe.

I guess it feels like a reunion of sorts for him. After all, he's played with this core for a long long time and has built a lot of friendships.

I don't know about the relaxed vibe though. Maybe off the court. But when I saw Manu during some warmup games for the World Championships a couple of years ago, he was far from relaxed. He was so into it, you knew he'd do anything to win. He wants to win this for his country, for pride. Or maybe it's just the competitor in him. :lol

urunobili
06-03-2008, 08:13 AM

it was more Bryant looking for him and he told him something on his year... i think it was something like "c ya at the olympics this summer get rest i want to beat you at your full capacity... " :stirpot: