PDA

View Full Version : It's hard to feel bad about it...

thispego
05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
The Spurs have never been this close to a repeat. It was great beating the Suns the way we did, there were memorable games for Finley and Duncan. Parker had a career night in game 3. New Orleans was a crazy series with road blowouts and Ginobili doing a lot of the heavy lifting, culminating in another first for the Spurs, game 7 road victory.

The Series with the Lakers didn't turn out the way I wanted but it's hard to feel bad about it. There were a few things that went the Lakers way (Fisher foul on barry, plane incident for Spurs and the 1 days rest for games, etc) and how could we expect an old and tired team to contend with all that AND beat a team who already had the greatest current player on the planet but then was given Memphis' franchise player for nothing. Not to mention the best third option in the league who was the centerpiece of the Shaq trade with the Heat. Lamar Odom has been underrated his whole career and I loved watching him his last couple of years with the Heat.

Just about every Spur underperformed in these playoffs and consistency was hard to come by. I am still proud of them though. It was the toughest Western Conference in ages and would have been beyond the level of extraordinary that the Spurs already are at to have pulled off another championship this year. It was possible, but the odds were stacked against us and not enough went the Spurs way. I am happy that they finally made it to the WCF after a championship and maybe in 2010 they will finally break through and get that elusive REPEAT.

Duncan was Duncan. He was good and he was great. He faced a lot of double teams and was taken out of his game a few times, and I can't say I loved his shot selection all playoffs but he was what we needed him to be for the most part.

Parker needs to keep working on his jumpshot. CBF pointed out how Parkers form is way off since last year and he's been throwing up too much junk that doesn't even look like it's going to go in. Parker needs to act like he still listens to Chip England. He can never be satisfied because Parker is extremely gifted and he has a long way to go before he reaches his full potential.

Ginobili amazed and dissapointed. Why can't manu be more consistent? Why can't Manu's body be more durable? We saw Ginobili digress into strictly a jump shooter these last few playoff games and I don't even want to think about the possibility of Ginobili saving his body, health, or energy for summer games. You have to believe that was on his mind but I also believe Ginobili is too big of a competitor to do that. But then again, you never know. We will probably need to reassess Ginobili's regular season role for next year.

Bowen hit his 3's and even a few elbow J's and took care of business on the defensive end. Kobe is unstoppable and Bowen may just be too old for this type of challenge nowadays but I just can't find any complaints with Bowen this season.

Barry - Glad we have him for a couple more years. Amazing comeback from a torn calf muscle :wow

Oberto I don't think has regressed as much as some people see it. I think he suffered more as a result of our offense sucking shit for large portions of game. Hell it was Oberto on more than a few occassions who actually got the offense jumpstarted again. I have definitely not given up on Fabricio and will be glad to see him again next year.

Kurt Thomas I hope we resign. give him a whole year to learn the Spurs offense and he could turn into a real assett.

Finley doesn't seem to have much more left. We can keep him or he can retire, matters little to me as long as he doesn't start next year. Glad he finally got his ring last year and he defintiely earned his Spurs since he got to SA.

Horry - Sorry you had to go out like that brah. You've had a Hall-of-Fame career.

A season for the Spurs without a championship can not be considered a success but this year was definitely not a failure. Proud of the boys and can't wait til next year. Don't let us down Front Office.

T Park
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Ginobili amazed and dissapointed. Why can't manu be more consistent? Why can't Manu's body be more durable? We saw Ginobili digress into strictly a jump shooter these last few playoff games and I don't even want to think about the possibility of Ginobili saving his body, health, or energy for summer games. You have to believe that was on his mind but I also believe Ginobili is too big of a competitor to do that. But then again, you never know. We will probably need to reassess Ginobili's regular season role for next year.

Epic fail.

Anti.Hero
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
If Finley is back next year I will become a Bobcats fan.

honestfool84
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
yes.

whottt
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
thispego fucked this all up by failing to call for an Austin GTG during the WCF.

Nice job...slick.

T Park
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Yeah cause him as your 11th man on the bench would be horrible.....

gtownspur
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
we need barry to become our Offensive Coordinator while we have him for two more years.

Los Spurs
05-30-2008, 11:40 AM

We will miss you :toast

urunobili
05-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Epic fail.

YOU fail my friend

thispego
05-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Epic fail.

how so?

thispego
05-30-2008, 12:04 PM
thispego fucked this all up by failing to call for an Austin GTG during the WCF.

Nice job...slick.

you're the catalyst to Austin GTG's though whottt, where were you????

thispego
05-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Epic fail.

speak up fat boy, tell me where the fail is

vanvannen
05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't know what TPark means. I do think that even considering Manu was saving his body for the olympics is just ignoring his personality.
The way his dives for loose balls or drives to the rim shows how much he doesn't care to save himself for the next ball, let alone the Olympics.

thispego
05-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't know what TPark means. I do think that even considering Manu was saving his body for the olympics is just ignoring his personality.
The way his dives for loose balls or drives to the rim shows how much he doesn't care to save himself for the next ball, let alone the Olympics.

how many times did you see manu drive to the rim against the Lakers?

Yuixafun
05-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Seriously, I didn't see Manu hit the deck for a loose ball, except on a flop in game 1 after the rebound had already bounced off his chest and past him.

When its game 5 in an elimination game, you can't try to pick up the ball, go to the floor. Manu had the ball poked away and then he fumbled it before another Laker dove for the ball and stole it from him.

Also the one time I did see him drive, it looked fugly as hell and he threw up some garbage. He went right around Odom and then just... MALFUNCTIONED, for lack of a better word.

He should have just went into a jump shot, instead of that running whatever it was he did.

smeagol
05-30-2008, 03:37 PM
pego's best post . . . ever.

(and his longest :wow )

fyatuk
05-30-2008, 03:45 PM
What I feel bad about is...

Hollinger called it...

That's just terrifying.

RonMexico
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
It's a tough way to go out. Sorry guys.

At least you got an apology from the league office for the missed Fisher/Barry call... too late to mean anything.

Is anyone shocked that Stern didn't want to miss out on Lakers-Celtics?

To be honest, I wanted to see Spurs-Celtics. Even Lakers-Pistons will blow as a series.

DarrinS
05-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Even though this was Manu's best season (at least on paper), I've noticed a steady decline in his ability to go strong to the rim and finish. I really think he peaked, athletically, back in 2005.

thispego
05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
What I feel bad about is...

Hollinger called it...

lucky guess and his credibility was already gone after the first two blown predictions

mrspurs
05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
left out bonner,jacque....not sure why we kept them...and fab shouldnt be a starter..if we dont get a center to help timmy next season...we wont make it again...sorry fab is the biggest choker of them all....its to bad, cos he is smart and plays with alot of fire....that was our problem this season and really in the PO's...we couldnt stop anyone in the paint, they either missed or made...no shot blocking to scare players from driving and making layups is what killed us. i never saw as many alley-oops performed on us like i did this season.......go spurs go