PDA

View Full Version : If we don't land a big free agent this summer we won't win.

Jayem
05-30-2008, 11:34 AM
gilbert arenas, ron artest, iverson...we need to grab someone

theres no way we can take out la/boston new teams.

spurs need to land a big FA or we have NO SHOT of ever seeing a title again in the duncan era

Holt's Cat
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM

spurs need to land a big FA or we have NO SHOT of ever seeing a title again in the duncan era

Iverson would make a lot of sense for this Spurs team. He's someone who can carry an offense on his own and would help a lot with the scoring burden in the regular season. Plus he has plenty of postseason experience.

The problem, of course, is that he won't opt out this summer. He has a year left with Denver to the tune of $20+ mil. He's not going to give that up. Next summer though, he should be free agent target #1.

T Park
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, hes someone that still has ALOT left in the tank, would be great next to Parker, very clutch, and is DYING for a ring.

I would gladly take Iverson on this team.

bigdog
05-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Maybe next year (I mean after the season). With all the talk of them trading Melo, I could see Iverson getting upset and taking less money for a ring.

lebomb
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Wont Happen.

Jayem
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Iverson would make a lot of sense for this Spurs team. He's someone who can carry an offense on his own and would help a lot with the scoring burden in the regular season. Plus he has plenty of postseason experience.

The problem, of course, is that he won't opt out this summer. He has a year left with Denver to the tune of $20+ mil. He's not going to give that up. Next summer though, he should be free agent target #1.plus he can play d. imagine pop going small with tony and allen :wow:wow

with the nuggets wanting to get rid of carmelo, i can see iverson wanting to leave and join a real contender. he desperately wants a ring and knows his window is closing.

MAKE IT HAPPEN SPURS!

leaguecityspur
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Come on guys, don't you remember "Practice, we talkin bout practice, Man." He would fit right in with the Spurs.

djohn14
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
We dont need a BIG name to compete. We do need someone younger who is athletic and can play. If we got Iverson then we'd have 2 PG's. We could play Parker at 2 gaurd and move Manu to the bench, but thats to much money in the backcourt. Plus, you all know we arent gonna spend very much.

completely deck
05-30-2008, 12:58 PM
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5642/thefuturedv5.jpg

Damn you, Splitter.

nkdlunch
05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Iverson??

I thought we were supposed to get younger. I don't see Iverson w/much in the tank.

but, that being said. i would not mind seeing Iverson in the team. he is hungry for a ring

Texas_Ranger
05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Artest and Arenas will not join the Spurs in my opinion. I don't even want Arenas in this team.
But if we can get AI next year, that would be nice. For me this year a guy like James Jones or Delfino will be enough.

rAm
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Iverson would be in Pop's doghouse for so long that we would have to start shipping his weed there.

jag
05-30-2008, 01:17 PM
bringing in a "big name" guy just isn't what the spurs do...we already have 3 big name players...who do you expect them to add? Not to mention, what "big name" player is gonna want to come here to ride the bench?

Artest is really the only big name guy i could see having a role on this team that he'd fit right in to. His size and quickness would be perfect against the Lakers, Hornets, Suns, Mavs...etc.

Why the hell would iverson go to SA to sit behind Parker, when he thinks he's still a top name in this league?

The Franchise
05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
bringing in a "big name" guy just isn't what the spurs do...we already have 3 big name players...who do you expect them to add? Not to mention, what "big name" player is gonna want to come here to ride the bench?

Artest is really the only big name guy i could see having a role on this team that he'd fit right in to. His size and quickness would be perfect against the Lakers, Hornets, Suns, Mavs...etc.

Why the hell would iverson go to SA to sit behind Parker, when he thinks he's still a top name in this league?

Iverson would have to start in that situation. He is still better than Parker with more range on his shot. Could you Imagine the Lakers giving A.I. the shots they were daring Tony Parker to take? If they did the Spurs would be in the finals right now.

lefty
05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
We just need to add younger, very hungry players to support our big 3.

Boston Celtics have done that.

Or look what Dumas has done @ Detroit: adding guys like Stuckey, Maxiell help the older core (Sheed, Rip, Chauncey, Prince)

completely deck
05-30-2008, 02:20 PM
An interview with RC stated that the Spurs have never uttered the name "Artest". He's not Pop material.

AztecPrincss
05-30-2008, 02:23 PM
bring Arenas or baron davis!!!

SenorSpur
05-30-2008, 02:25 PM
An interview with RC stated that the Spurs have never uttered the name "Artest". He's not Pop material.

They why were there reports coming out of Sac-Town the day of the trade deadlie, that they were in conversations with the Spurs about a possible Artest deal?

completely deck
05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
All I remember is that when he was asked about Artest around the time they traded for Thomas, I remember him saying something similar to that they have never uttered the name Artest.

SenorSpur
05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I certainly don't trust anything R.C. says. This is the same guy who got all infatuated with JKidd. The same guy who's still living off the shine of drafting Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

completely deck
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
...and the possible Splitter flop :(

MadDog73
05-30-2008, 02:41 PM

Jayem, I'm sick of your shit.

No shot? Really? With Tim Duncan and Tony Parker?

This guy deserves a Pink name.

intlspurshk
05-30-2008, 02:58 PM
SPURS have MLE not 10 million cap room. Big name player...you guys are dreaming...unless the NBA allows another round of Allen Houston relief

mrspurs
05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
to everyone who still thinks we have a big 3....think again....its the big 2 now...tony and tim, we could still use another 3...manu's days will remain behind the arc, and we will live and die from behind the arc, unless we get another star to blend in with tony and tim, and keep in mind, tim is just one yr. from leaving tony all on his own....age creeps up fast.......and age is earned...life is good...go spurs go

Kori Ellis
05-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Jayem, I'm sick of your shit.

Yeah he's one of the worst posters here. He constantly trashes all the players and has a doomsday mentality about everything.

Bruno
05-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Jayem reminds me Spurs_Dynasty_21 without the Scola's man love.

jack sommerset
05-30-2008, 03:05 PM
When was the last time SA signed a BIG time free agent? I don't think they ever did.

21_Blessings
05-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Sasha is available

K-State Spur
05-30-2008, 03:56 PM
When was the last time SA signed a BIG time free agent? I don't think they ever did.

when's the last time anybody signed a BIG name free agent?

the CBA makes it very difficult for premier players to want to change teams these days. the guys who do move are typically second or third tier guys like rashard lewis.

since the lockout season, the spurs are not alone. the lakers, mavs, bulls, knicks, et al have all failed to lure a true BIG TIME free agent in the past decade.

even guys like nash and arenas were nowhere near the level that they are now until after they moved.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
A big name free agent isn't necessary to recover next season, but hell, who WOULDN'T want Iverson?

pooh
05-30-2008, 04:36 PM
You really dont need Artest, you only need to see what he did over at Indiana to see that. He is the ultimate headcase, Arenas might be a better fit, but the last person the Spurs need is Artest.

Streakyshooter08
05-30-2008, 06:02 PM
The main problem is that you don't get a "star" without giving up one of the big 3. The Spurs have only 3 big contracts, the rest is pretty small salary. Even a sign and trade would not be easy with the pieces they have. Of course everybody would like to have a guy like Iverson but it is more than unlikely. As stated a lot in this forum Azubuike, Pietrus and maybe J.R. Smith are at least possible to get.

jack sommerset
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
when's the last time anybody signed a BIG name free agent?

the CBA makes it very difficult for premier players to want to change teams these days. the guys who do move are typically second or third tier guys like rashard lewis.

since the lockout season, the spurs are not alone. the lakers, mavs, bulls, knicks, et al have all failed to lure a true BIG TIME free agent in the past decade.

even guys like nash and arenas were nowhere near the level that they are now until after they moved.

How about a top 5 free agent . I can only think of Rodman.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-30-2008, 10:54 PM
to everyone who still thinks we have a big 3....think again....its the big 2 now...tony and tim, we could still use another 3...manu's days will remain behind the arc, and we will live and die from behind the arc, unless we get another star to blend in with tony and tim, and keep in mind, tim is just one yr. from leaving tony all on his own....age creeps up fast.......and age is earned...life is good...go spurs go

To this above I only say... whatever

To the point of this thread .... the spurs don't need a big name, they need a big and a backup PG.

They need some PF-Center who is athletic and can score on his own. Then you need just a nice PG who can score as well on his own. Doesn't necessarily have to be a great ball players just able to score consistently.

Those are the big necessities.. Arenas, Artest and AI don't fit any of those scenarios for different reasons including money and status.

spurscenter
05-30-2008, 11:50 PM

i trade MANU for ARENAS or for IVERSON in a heart beat

in a heart beat

PARKER, IVERSON, DUNCAN is insane or PARKER, ARENAS, DUNCAN damn!

NewJerSpur
05-31-2008, 12:00 AM
i trade MANU for ARENAS or for IVERSON in a heart beat

in a heart beat

PARKER, IVERSON, DUNCAN is insane or PARKER, ARENAS, DUNCAN damn!

Arenas has serious knee problems that might cut his career short and plays absolutely NO defense....that won't cut it with Pop. He's a better fit in D.C.

There have been many reasons already listed as to why the Spurs will never sign Iverson; choose one.

As for a big name: I'd love to get a guy like Elton Brand...think he'd fit perfectly in SA and take pressure off of Tim offensively, but he's likely to cash out. I remember thinking this same thought prior to picking up imporatant role players like Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry who changed the dynamic of the team.