PDA

View Full Version : Props to the Spurs from a Lakers fan

markjay
05-30-2008, 02:51 PM
You may or may not want to hear from Lakers fans at this point, but I can't resist adding some positive words for the Spurs. Though I am a die-hard Lakers fan, the Spurs are the one other team in the NBA -- indeed in all of professional sports, outside the Southern California area -- that I most admire and respect. You have the greatest coach, the greatest players, and the greatest organization.

Your team, coach, and organization always conduct themselves with hard work, dedication, passion, commitment, and respect for fundamentals. The Spurs are a real model of what a professional team should be.

I knew the Lakers would not fully deserve the championship if we did not take the Spurs head on and I'm glad we had the opportunity to do so. Indeed, you could see from the way the Spurs and Lakers players interacted after the game how much mutual respect there is between these two teams.

Many people worry that the Spurs are getting old, but you have three magnificent stars that all have a number of great years left. I am confident (and a little fearful) that the Spurs will round out their team with a couple of solid younger players and be a formidable opponent for years to come.

I recognize that the Lakers got fortunate this year due to Ginobli's injuries. I know if he had been at full speed this would have been a much more difficult series, and I respect the fact that neither the Spurs nor their coach offered excuses because of that.

I apologize for Sasha's last-minute shot. I hope you will agree that he was not intentionally trying to be disrespectful. He's just a young guy who got carried away at the end of a tight game that was contested until just a few seconds previously. Anyway, both the Lakers and their fans criticized Sasha's shot and I hope he learned from that.

I know it's tough to lose. We've had our share of losses in recent years too. I'm looking forward to the Lakers and Spurs continuing their rivalry next year.

lefty
05-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Classy :toast

SequSpur
05-30-2008, 11:13 PM
whatever... I am not reading your book.

1Parker1
05-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Nice post.

But I didn't hear anybody from the Lakers organization come out and apologize or even speak up about Sasha's last minute shot. :lol Not that I expected them to, I doubt any team would.

greens
05-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks. That's a really respectful post. It's nice to see the fans of other teams giving the Spurs props.

Congrats on the win. Kobe really did come through for you guys.

I didn't get to see the last minute or so of the game. Did Manu/Kobe talk to each other after the Lakers win? I know that Kobe respects Manu a lot.

Man of Steel
05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the great post--and good luck against Boston--like Bowen said--bring it home.

greens
05-30-2008, 11:57 PM
You should post here more often. It's rare that we get to see respectful fans from other teams.

mrspurs
05-31-2008, 08:18 AM
agreed....these are great posts...i have so many people from SA on ignore its....no it isnt, unbelivable.......some ppl. cant type without cussing...makes me wonder how they really talk...go spurs go

amy020
05-31-2008, 08:50 AM
thanks a lot

td4mvp21
05-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Thank you. But the greatest coach belongs to the Los Angeles Lakers, unfortunately.

boibastos
05-31-2008, 10:50 AM
This is pretty late as I wasn't cleared to post till today. Just wanted to give the Spurs props too for a series well-played. Along with Utah, your team taught many of our young crew that they needed to play well to get past you guys and that's much appreciated.

Been a Laker fan since '84 so I can relate to how you many of you guys feel now when you just won the year before. For obvious reasons, I won't say you'll take it next year but I'm pretty sure you guys will still be a force to contend with in the playoffs then. You still got a great coach, serious talent in your core and championship experience --- your team'll still be in the hunt.

So rest, reload and maybe we can settle who the baddest dog is in the West again next year.

Jayem
05-31-2008, 10:51 AM
z15VVvdy0sM

Bito Corleone
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
This is what I love to see. NBA fans who actually show respect. I'm from SA and the Spurs have always been my #1 team, but at the same time I have been a Lakers fan for as long as I've been a fan of basketball. One thing I have noticed among Spurs and Lakers fans is an amazing ability to show respect to other franchises (unlike Dallas fans who just want to say that every other team sucks even though the Mavs have never won anything)

Classy move! Go Lakers - Championship 2008