PDA

View Full Version : West presenting the WC trophy

StoneBuddha
05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Not to give new life to this topic, but was anyone else weirded out that Jerry West presented the trophy to the Lakers for being Wester Conference Champions.

Isn't he still an adviser to the Grizzlies? First he / Chris Wallace giftwrap Gasol to the Lakers and a couple of months later he's handing them a trophy? Also, it looked like he had tears in his eyes or something.

It was great trade by the Lakers but one that would've caused a catlysmic fight in my fantasy league.

Ok, I've said enough. Time to think about reloading in the off-season.

thispego
05-30-2008, 04:59 PM
CO-LU-SION
yes the Lakers cheated and got Gasol for nothing

honestfool84
05-30-2008, 05:02 PM
laaame.
they should use tim duncan as the new nba icon.

v2freak
05-30-2008, 05:26 PM
CO-LU-SION
yes the Lakers cheated and got Gasol for nothing

Collusion tends to fall apart (game theory) but it does seem that way.

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 05:30 PM
No West has nothing to do with the Grizzlies organization, but you all knew that of course.

Gotta like the idiots here slamming Jerry West who was nothing but congratulatory to the Spurs. With fans like some of you, it's easy to see why the Staples fans booed.

Respect one of the game's greatest players, and ambassadors for the NBA. Classless.

SequSpur
05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Jerry West is puss.

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Jerry West is puss.

Typical Spurs fan...miserable and bitter. Sorry life sucks so much for you.

StoneBuddha
05-30-2008, 05:42 PM
No West has nothing to do with the Grizzlies organization, but you all knew that of course.

Gotta like the idiots here slamming Jerry West who was nothing but congratulatory to the Spurs. With fans like some of you, it's easy to see why the Staples fans booed.

Respect one of the game's greatest players, and ambassadors for the NBA. Classless.

So did West give up his consultation role with the Grizzlies?

No one's slamming West. He's still the logo. It was just a little bit odd seeing him there. I actually like him, but given the furor about the trade all around the league, it was noteworthy. The man who helped build the Lakers (twice ;)) was there to admire his handiwork.

No denying that it was a great trade and the Lakers have a fabulous young core now, but even as a Laker fan, don't you think West's affection towards the Lakers helped facilitate the trade?

Honestly, if I was a Laker fan, I probably wouldn't care about how my team got built, just that it did.

SequSpur
05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Typical Spurs fan...miserable and bitter. Sorry life sucks so much for you.

Yeah, I'm typical. A typical spurs fan on a typical spurs forum speaking my mind.

What does that make you? A fucking puss. Why are you here? Why don't you come and meet me on the corner of military and zarzamora? I'll show you my typical ness...

Jerry West is a puss. What is he your dad?

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
To my knowledge he hasn't had a consulting role with the Grizzlies anymore.

So basically you're bitter the Lakers got Gasol for nothing? Ok we get it. Get over it. Like Spurfan would be upset if this worked to the Spurs advantage? I doubt you'd be apologizing.

SPARKY
05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
My, defensive.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM

In multiple round scenarios. In one-shot games, collusion works. Hope to God West sending All-Stars to Los Angeles was only a one-shot game.

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm typical. A typical spurs fan on a typical spurs forum speaking my mind.

What does that make you? A fucking puss. Why are you here? Why don't you come and meet me on the corner of military and zarzamora? I'll show you my typical ness...

Jerry West is a puss. What is he your dad?

So because your a Spurs fan on a Spurs board, you feel the need to act like an unintelligent dolt? Gee that's a brilliant. If you like saying stupid things, continue to speak your mind, it's rather humorous.

And don't play internet tough guy with me either. Go threaten someone else geek. What the hell is Military and Zarzamora? Is that in Texas I assume? I don't live there...thank god.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Jerry West presenting the trophy just proves he wasn't in on the deal! The league wouldn't risk putting him out there if there was any evidence of it! He's a great guy and totally above that kind of thing! As is the league!

/seriously, LA may win a championship, ESPN may continue to snake their collective tongues far up Kobe's asshole, but the Lakers will never live this down with true fans of the game. Talk about a big freaking asterisk.

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
True fans of the game? Oh like you guys right? Wonderful, classy, basketball fans like yourselves right?

People who don't even respect themselves, let alone the game they claim to love so much.

v2freak
05-30-2008, 06:01 PM
In multiple round scenarios. In one-shot games, collusion works. Hope to God West sending All-Stars to Los Angeles was only a one-shot game.

Are you positive? I know different strategies for punishing cheating in a planned collusion occur in multiple rounds.

And Lakers14Titles, why don't you stop making generalizations? Are you surprised that you being treated rudely for being obnoxious on a Spurs forum?

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 06:03 PM
And Lakers14Titles, why don't you stop making generalizations? Are you surprised that you being treated rudely for being obnoxious on a Spurs forum?

#1. It's obvious who I am speaking to by my quotes.
#2. I don't expect with my name to be treated anything other than rudely.
#3. This forum was full of vitrol far before I arrived. There were a lot of obnoxious people on here before I got here, and most of them are Spurs fans. No generalization, an observable FACT.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 06:04 PM
True fans of the game? Oh like you guys right? Wonderful, classy, basketball fans like yourselves right?

Yeah, pretty much. I can count on one hand Lakers fans I've known who were classy fans of the game. Mostly they resemble Bulls fans from the '90s: image-addled and incapable of understanding the game beyond a kind of gut-level, lizard-brain froth for their own team. All teams have their homers, but the incidence is stratospheric for the Lakers. That's one reason there are so many celebrities there. Proximity, sure, but also vapidity.

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, pretty much. I can count on one hand Lakers fans I've known who were classy fans of the game. Mostly they resemble Bulls fans from the '90s: image-addled and incapable of understanding the game beyond a kind of gut-level, lizard-brain froth for their own team. All teams have their homers, but the incidence is stratospheric for the Lakers. That's one reason there are so many celebrities there. Proximity, sure, but also vapidity.

Funny how moronic, vapid generalizations like this are OK because this is a Spurs board, and god forbid anyone think differently than a Spurs fan.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
#3. This forum was full of vitrol far before I arrived. There were a lot of obnoxious people on here before I got here, and most of them are Spurs fans. No generalization, an observable FACT.

By far the worst people on this board are idiot homers for opposing teams buzzing in from other fansites. Dallas fans used to be pretty bad, Lakers fans take the cake. One wonders why you're here.

So... why are you here?

Lakers14Titles
05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
So... why are you here?

I like you.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Funny how moronic, vapid generalizations like this are OK because this is a Spurs board, and god forbid anyone think differently than a Spurs fan.

It's not really a generalization, to be honest with you. True, anecdotes aren't statistics, but I'd be surprised to be wrong that most Lakers fans really don't understand the game or much care for it, to be honest to you. There's a history of people bandwaggoning teams ESPN and the league tell you to, and David Stern loves himself some Kobe Bryant. It's no surprise the clueless follow right along. It's the Britney Spears impulse although, granted, the Lakers have a bit more talent.

rasho8
05-30-2008, 06:09 PM

He wouldnt be able to see you over all the lowed out mini-coopers.

temujin
05-30-2008, 06:16 PM

The FACT is that this was a very enjoyable forum BEFORE lakers fans showed up.

Their stubborn insults to everybody's intelligence about the Gasol-for-Nothing trade is a tribute to their own -limited- intelligence.

Now, what I mean by EVERYBODY is really anyone on this planet that we, unfortunately, share.

Good luck with your daily traffic jams.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 06:20 PM
The FACT is that this was a very enjoyable forum BEFORE lakers fans showed up.

Their stubborn insults to everybody's intelligence about the Gasol-for-Nothing trade is a tribute to their own -limited- intelligence.

Now, what I mean by EVERYBODY is really anyone on this planet that we, unfortunately, share.

Good luck with your daily traffic jams.

Word.

And the smog. And the simmering racial hatred. And the botox. Just because rich, glamorous people live near you doesn't make you rich or glamorous.

I say this as a New Yorker and someone now living in the UK: Los Angeles is a bitch-ass, second rate, pussy city. Not saying San Antonio is anywhere close to a world city, but at least it's pleasant. LA is a joke.

~~~~~~
05-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Trading for Gasol cost the Lakers Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittendon, two 1st round draft picks, a second round draft pick and rights to Marc Gasol (Pau Gasol's brother), plus one other player I forgot. Crittendon is a 6' 5", quicker version of Jordan Farmar and can potentially play defense like Trevor Ariza. Marc Gasol is a younger, bigger, stronger and heavier version of Pau with better defense and offense.

Lakers shouldn't have thrown in Marc Gasol 'cause he has the potential to be a real impact player with his size and skills. All he needed, had the Lakers kept the rights to him, would have been 2 or 3 years, if that, of seasoning in the NBA, learning from Kareem and he would be able to dominate games at the center and power forward positions at certain times.

Lakers should have offered Farmar instead of Crittendon because Farmar will always have trouble playing against bigger/stronger Deron Williams type guards. Crittendon is quick enough to take on smaller/faster guards and also has better ball handling skills than Farmar. From what I saw during the his time with the Lakers, Crittendon doesn't seem to get fazed playing on the road but instead becomes more aggressive unlike Farmar who at times goes into a shell for extended stretches.

All the other NBA teams, I think the Bulls were one of them, interested in Gasol only dabbled with the idea of a trade. The Lakers were the only team that gave Memphis a serious offer.

K-State Spur
05-30-2008, 06:25 PM

It only falls apart when you assume that both groups colluded as an act in their own best interest (i.e MLB owners in the late 80s).

When you have a double agent with influence over the other company, it's a completely different game.

temujin
05-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Word.

And the smog. And the simmering racial hatred. And the botox. Just because rich, glamorous people live near you doesn't make you rich or glamorous.

I say this as a New Yorker and someone now living in the UK: Los Angeles is a bitch-ass, second rate, pussy city. Not saying San Antonio is anywhere close to a world city, but at least it's pleasant. LA is a joke.

I say this as an European.

Los angeles is one place you don't want to be in the US.

temujin
05-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Trading for Gasol cost the Lakers Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittendon, two 1st round draft picks, a second round draft pick and rights to Marc Gasol (Pau Gasol's brother), plus one other player I forgot. Crittendon is a 6' 5", quicker version of Jordan Farmar and can potentially play defense like Trevor Ariza. Marc Gasol is a younger, bigger, stronger and heavier version of Pau with better defense and offense.

Lakers shouldn't have thrown in Marc Gasol 'cause he has the potential to be a real impact player with his size and skills. All he needed, had the Lakers kept the rights to him, would have been 2 or 3 years, if that, of seasoning in the NBA, learning from Kareem and he would be able to dominate games at the center and power forward positions at certain times.

Lakers should have offered Farmar instead of Crittendon because Farmar will always have trouble playing against bigger/stronger Deron Williams type guards. Crittendon is quick enough to take on smaller/faster guards and also has better ball handling skills than Farmar. From what I saw during the his time with the Lakers, Crittendon doesn't seem to get fazed playing on the road but instead becomes more aggressive unlike Farmar who at times goes into a shell for extended stretches.

All the other NBA teams, I think the Bulls were one of them, interested in Gasol only dabbled with the idea of a trade. The Lakers were the only team that gave Memphis a serious offer.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

This guy really believes in what he writes, to the point that he actually fills lots of lines.

Amazing.

The Gasol-for-Nothing trade is like an Bonner-for-Stoudamire trade with Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ running a show in Phoenix.

K-State Spur
05-30-2008, 06:35 PM

And that actually makes a little bit of sense if this trade went down at the deadline. But when it goes down weeks in advance when other teams had more to offer, it just doesn't make sense. There is absolutely no way that the Lakers would pull this offer off the table - no matter what Mitch said - and refuse to give the Griz these same pieces at the deadline.

LakerRings
05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
West discussed this on the radio this morning with Dan Patrick. You can listen to the podcast at danpatrick.com

The league asked him to present the trophy.

He discusses the Gasol/Kwame trade, and confirms that while both sides told him of the deal he was not involved.

Grizzlies made a deal about money - nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to talk collusion, you should be talking about Ainge and McHale and the deal for Garnett. They have already acknowledged collusion.

Fact is, Lakers had what Memphis wanted from a financial perspective - the right mix of expiring contracts and young players and picks. No one else did. it was not a secret that Pau was available. No one else wanted to step up to his huge contract, expecially since he is not a franchise player - it is only when he got dropped into a system like the triangle next to a player like Kobe that he looks as great as he does. If he had gone elsewhere, he would not have the impact he is having in LA.

Which is not to say it wasn't a ridiculously great deal for the Lakers - it was. But it was in no way unfair. If the Spurs wanted to have him, they could have. You love him so much, why didn't you go after him?

Etc.

Commissioner Stern
05-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow. The bitterness, persecution complex runs deep among you guys. If it was not for the Spurs, no one would know that San Antonio existed. I guess that's why you guys take the loss so bitterly.

Well, you have the entire summer to get over it and move on. Make good use of it. See the world. Get out of San Antonio. All this talk about smog, and "second rate" city just belies your ignorance.

Ever wonder why so many of your own players choose to visit and stay in Southern California for the summer? No one would even dream of vacationing in San Antonio.

BTW, thanks for being great past champions. You wore it well.

~~~~~~
05-30-2008, 06:53 PM
And that actually makes a little bit of sense if this trade went down at the deadline. But when it goes down weeks in advance when other teams had more to offer, it just doesn't make sense. There is absolutely no way that the Lakers would pull this offer off the table - no matter what Mitch said - and refuse to give the Griz these same pieces at the deadline.That's the other teams problem for not being efficient and/or having any balls to pull off a trade. And who's to say the Memphis FO didn't think, "This might be the best offer we'll get".

Y'all acting like the Lakers gave up nothing. Yeah Kwame "Hands of Stone" sucks, M. Gasol and Crittendon are unproven and the draft picks have yet to happen. Part of doing business is always taking risk and making do with what's there. The Lakers and Memphis took that risk and put the pieces together for a trade to happen. End of story.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
West discussed this on the radio this morning with Dan Patrick. You can listen to the podcast at danpatrick.com

He discusses the Gasol/Kwame trade, and confirms that while both sides told him of the deal he was not involved.

If you want to talk collusion, you should be talking about Ainge and McHale and the deal for Garnett. They have already acknowledged collusion.

Fact is, Lakers had what Memphis wanted from a financial perspective - the right mix of expiring contracts and young players and picks. No one else did. it was not a secret that Pau was available. No one else wanted to step up to his huge contract, expecially since he is not a franchise player - it is only when he got dropped into a system like the triangle next to a player like Kobe that he looks as great as he does. If he had gone elsewhere, he would not have the impact he is having in LA.

Which is not to say it wasn't a ridiculously great deal for the Lakers - it was. But it was in no way unfair. If the Spurs wanted to have him, they could have. You love him so much, why didn't you go after him?

Etc.

Yeah, and my penis stretches from here to the wall. Get real.

shelshor
05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Jerry West is puss.

Jerry West was one of the many piece of shit Lakers that tried to gyp Elgin Baylor out of his share of championship bonuses

~~~~~~
05-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Etc.Success breeds contempt....yada yada yada

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Success breeds contempt....yada yada yada

Why so desperate? Why so needy? Why so insecure?

21_Blessings
05-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Do not question the Logo's integrity.

temujin
05-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Wow. The bitterness, persecution complex runs deep among you guys. If it was not for the Spurs, no one would know that San Antonio existed.

Absolutely.

I guess that's why you guys take the loss so bitterly.

Nah it's the insult to intelligence.

Well, you have the entire summer to get over it and move on. Make good use of it.

Use of what?

See the world.

Get out of San Antonio.

:lmao:lmao

And you think that Spurs fans are ONLY in S, Antonio?
I have NEVER been to S. Antonio!

All this talk about smog, and "second rate" city just belies your ignorance.

Not at all.
Los Angeles is a terrible city to live in.
Period.
It's acttually a cancer that has overgrown its manageable possibilities.

Ever wonder why so many of your own players choose to visit and stay in Southern California for the summer? No one would even dream of vacationing in San Antonio.

:lmao:lmao:lmao
People fly in from everywhere to vacation in my country.
:lmao:lmao
And your sleazy "best" player knows that better than anyone.
He sure has learnt a lot of that flopping mode down here....

BTW, thanks for being great past champions. You wore it well.

Players are champs.
Fans just watch.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Do not question the Logo's integrity.

The Logo's integrity ran afoul of the Logo's actions this year. He'll never be looked at the same again. *cough*asterisk*cough* You'll have to live with it.

21_Blessings
05-30-2008, 07:17 PM
The Logo's integrity ran afoul of the Logo's actions this year. He'll never be looked at the same again. *cough*asterisk*cough* You'll have to live with it.

No, you have to live with the fact that your favorite team was just stomped by an emerging Lakers dynasty. Have fun watching the Lakers win multiple titles over the next 10 years while Spurs shrivel back into irrelevancy.

Phil Hellmuth
05-30-2008, 07:18 PM
2 weeks before trade deadline LOLOLOL, it is funny when laker fans try to rationalize this trade.

give it up, grizz could have done much much better.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 07:21 PM
No, you have to live with the fact that your favorite team was just stomped by an emerging Lakers dynasty. Have fun watching the Lakers win multiple titles over the next 10 years while Spurs shrivel back into irrelevancy.

*cough*asterisk*cough*

That's gonna burn ya up, isn't it? Get used to it.

*cough*asterisk*cough*

no respect for ya'll. Stern's favorite widdle team.

*cough*asterisk*cough*

K-State Spur
05-30-2008, 07:24 PM
That's the other teams problem for not being efficient and/or having any balls to pull off a trade. And who's to say the Memphis FO didn't think, "This might be the best offer we'll get".

That's my point though, if that's the best offer, it still would have the best offer 3 weeks later.

There is no way that the Lakers were going to refuse to give up that group of players in exchange for Gasol.

K-State Spur
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Y'all acting like the Lakers gave up nothing. Yeah Kwame "Hands of Stone" sucks, M. Gasol and Crittendon are unproven and the draft picks have yet to happen. Part of doing business is always taking risk and making do with what's there. The Lakers and Memphis took that risk and put the pieces together for a trade to happen. End of story.

It's not so much that the package sucked altogether (although it did), it's more that it sucked compared to what other teams who had a need for Gasol likely would have put together when we got closer to the deadline. The Grizzlies had 100% of the leverage and used none of it.

1 of 2 things is true (possibly both):

1) Collusion was involved with the Logo's influence.

2) Chris Wallace is just a complete and utter moron.

You are more than welcome to believe item #2, but quit trying to polish that turd of a package and tell us that the Lakers gave up anything of value.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Other teams would have bid them up. That's what businesses do. But Lakers fans are a noodle-headed bunch. It's hard to explain to them.

21_Blessings
05-30-2008, 07:47 PM

No, it makes me laugh at the fact you are so bitter over not being able to watch your Spurs repeat, ever.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Basketball fans still respect the Spurs, though:

*cough*asterisk*cough*

*cough*asterisk*cough*

*cough*asterisk*cough*

The Relentless KB
05-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Not to give new life to this topic, but was anyone else weirded out that Jerry West presented the trophy to the Lakers for being Wester Conference Champions.

Isn't he still an adviser to the Grizzlies? First he / Chris Wallace giftwrap Gasol to the Lakers and a couple of months later he's handing them a trophy? Also, it looked like he had tears in his eyes or something.

It was great trade by the Lakers but one that would've caused a catlysmic fight in my fantasy league.

I always use fantasy sports leagues as the metric for sportsmanship. :rollin

Does your fantasy basketball league have a salary cap, poor attendance numbers, and an owner that wants to move or sell the the franchise? Keep bitching about the Gasol trade, but it makes sense if you wanted one of the biggest expiring contracts on the market, and cheap talent to build towards the future.

hsxvvd
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Jerry West presenting the trophy just proves he wasn't in on the deal! The league wouldn't risk putting him out there if there was any evidence of it! He's a great guy and totally above that kind of thing! As is the league!

/seriously, LA may win a championship, ESPN may continue to snake their collective tongues far up Kobe's asshole, but the Lakers will never live this down with true fans of the game. Talk about a big freaking asterisk.

Just like the league wouldn't risk having Joey Crawford officiate crucial playoff games for the Spurs?

If the Pistons get close today, I'm half expecting David Stern's son to run onto the court and hit Rip Hamilton with a chair!

The Relentless KB
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
It's not so much that the package sucked altogether (although it did), it's more that it sucked compared to what other teams who had a need for Gasol likely would have put together when we got closer to the deadline. The Grizzlies had 100% of the leverage and used none of it.

You are more than welcome to believe item #2, but quit trying to polish that turd of a package and tell us that the Lakers gave up anything of value.

There is years of evidence of this with his years with the Celtics. He isn't a good GM, but you can see what he was thinking with the trade.

Keep imagining what you want. I'm sure you have a great explanation for trading Rodman to the Bulls for Perdue or the Spurs team that had averaged 58 wins the previous 3 years before the tank job of a season once Robinson went down that had Duncan gift-wrapped to them.

~~~~~~
05-30-2008, 08:15 PM

You are more than welcome to believe item #2, but quit trying to polish that turd of a package and tell us that the Lakers gave up anything of value.I'm sure Jerry West had an influence on it as a consultant. The Grizzlies consulted with him and and he said it looked like a good deal for Memphis. Who has the final say are the team owners. Jerry Buss of the Lakers is known to be liberal with acquiring players. Don't know about Michael Heisley of Memphis. If Heisley gives the trade a stamp of approval, that's on him whether or not he was up to date on "fair trade value" given to him by Wallace. If Memphis wants to do the trade before the deadline and not procrastinate, that's on them. Other teams who have to wait 'til the last minute to put something together, that's on them. Lakers got the deal done, that's on them. And that's the bottom line.
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4030/procrastinationwc6.jpg

All these other teams, whining "waahhh it wasn't fair"....Oh wells, that's life and it was no secret that Pau Gasol was available. IMO, other teams already saw how the Lakers were stacked with talent, especially in the bench, and playing well, even with Kwame, before Bynum went down. But that's on them for being short-sighted on not picking Farmar, Turiaf, Vujacic, Walton, Bryant and Bynum during the draft in previous years.

All the other teams should worry about what they have to do to get better players to help their franchise win instead of worrying about what the Lakers are doing.

Tag
05-30-2008, 08:22 PM
The Grizzlies couldnt have done any better for what they were looking for, cap space. The Grizzlies were looking to free up some money, and you couldnt find a bigger NBA dud with an astronomically over the top salary then Kwame Brown. Yes it was a steal, but no other team had a better offer for what memphis was looking for.

To the New Yorker others, by all means stay in your watch-your-back-or-you'll-get-shot-rotting apple and nanny state eurotrash nations. That leaves more sunshine and hot women for the rest of us here in LA.

Mr. Body
05-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Women in LA aren't hot. They're plastic androids. British women ain't great shakes, though. I'd take Polish women - was there last weekend. Nice.

In any case, that was a first post of some bullshit right there.

GrandeDavid
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM

People who don't even respect themselves, let alone the game they claim to love so much.

I'm willing to assume that you have little business judging anybody, and save your smart ass comments about posters here and Texas. In fact, why don't you piss off and stop antagonizing people. Find something to do with that existence you call a "life".

GrandeDavid
05-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Stop typing "God" in lower case, please. :sleep

Kobe24Forever
05-30-2008, 08:30 PM

and why, i see david robinson on the bench every other playoff games, isn't he retired? wasnt he a former spur, david robinson is a wierdo.

GrandeDavid
05-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I say this as an European.

Los angeles is one place you don't want to be in the US.

I go LA on business from time to time and I also enjoy my visits. But there is absolutely no way I would even consider living there. Tired, violent, filthy, overpopulated, geographically unstable, dry climate. Just not my ideal city.

Phil Hellmuth
05-30-2008, 08:39 PM
the capspace argument is weak. who really wants to go to memphis via FA? yea they might want to sell their team, but that in other words is a sabotage move to benefit the purple and gold.g

K-State Spur
05-30-2008, 08:46 PM
There is years of evidence of this with his years with the Celtics. He isn't a good GM, but you can see what he was thinking with the trade.

Keep imagining what you want. I'm sure you have a great explanation for trading Rodman to the Bulls for Perdue or the Spurs team that had averaged 58 wins the previous 3 years before the tank job of a season once Robinson went down that had Duncan gift-wrapped to them.

That's a ridiculous comparison. If not for the injuries, the Spurs were still likely a top 6 team in the West, even after moving Rodman.

That was purely a move that hoped to be addition by subtraction. Rodman's value was greatly diminished by his attitude/age. The Bulls bought low.

It should also be noted that Rodman's tank went pretty dry not too long after that trade.

Superstar Basketball
05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
and why, i see david robinson on the bench every other playoff games, isn't he retired? wasnt he a former spur, david robinson is a wierdo.

what's your point? Magic is there almost every game... so is Kareem.
KB24? Great. Another Kobe Bryant dick-rider.

There's 2 types of fans in L.A:
- Kobe homers
- Lakers fans.

Let me guess. You're one of those MJ23, Bulls-loving, me-me shooting guard that jumped on the Lakers bandwagon just a week ago. You were probably a D. Wade nut-hugger just 2 seasons ago.

The Relentless KB
05-30-2008, 09:01 PM
That's a ridiculous comparison. If not for the injuries, the Spurs were still likely a top 6 team in the West, even after moving Rodman.

That was purely a move that hoped to be addition by subtraction. Rodman's value was greatly diminished by his attitude/age. The Bulls bought low.

It should also be noted that Rodman's tank went pretty dry not too long after that trade.

Rodman's tank went pretty dry after he won THREE RINGS. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

The point is there are a lot of lopsided trades throughout the history of sports. This one is not even close to being decided on the Grizzlies' end of things, and people are whining about it. They got a great expiring contract and pieces to build around their future.

K-State Spur
05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Rodman's tank went pretty dry after he won THREE RINGS. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

The point is there are a lot of lopsided trades throughout the history of sports. This one is not even close to being decided on the Grizzlies' end of things, and people are whining about it. They got a great expiring contract and pieces to build around their future.

Rodman was a good contributor to the '96 Bulls. He was pretty mediocre on the '97 team. And he was a shell of himself on the '98 team.

If it weren't for the hair and drawing attention to himself, he would have just been a footnote on the second three-peat.

His value to the Spurs was negative (and other teams knew it) because he wasn't going to put them over the edge towards a championship and he didn't get along with the Admiral (who was still one of the best centers in the game).

romsho
05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
It was ironic, to say the least. You might say when the Pau Gasol trade was made, Jerry West helped literally hand the Lakers the trophy. Now it isn't just a metaphor, it actually happened. Seriously, if Boston finishes off Detroit, we need Kevin McHale to present the hardware to the Celtics, and then see a YouTube Clip of David Stern giggling uncontrollably. This needs to happen.

GSH
05-31-2008, 12:08 AM

Horse. Shit. Sorry, no other way to put it. Horse. Shit.

When the trade details finally went public, several GM's started rumbling about the better offers they had made for Gasol. They went so far as to anonymously leak details about those offers. That's when Cupshack expressed his outrage about them anonymously bashing the trade. And in response to that, Pop was the one with enough courage to step forward and say, "I'm on record. It's not anonymous. Fuck you." Or words to that effect.

The Lakers were prepared to give up Lamar Scrotum AND Andrew Bynum, plus a bunch more for Garnett. Virtually every trade scenario specualtion said that they would have to give up those two to get Gasol.

There were four headline trades this season. Garnett, Gasol, Kidd, and Shaq. Two of the teams had to give major concessions, and probably crippled themselves for several years to come. And two of the teams had former Hall of Fame players as GM of the other team in the trade. They seem to have come out OK.

Could be coincidence. And maybe all those earthquakes aren't related to the fault line you live on. Maybe O.J.'s wife was killed by that one-in-a-billion person who is a genetic match for him. Maybe Barry Bonds' home runs had nothing to do with the steroids he took. Maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger won because he was the most qualified person to be governer of California, and he just happened to be a famous actor.

I mean, there's like a lot of coincidence in California. You know? And I don't even see why people have, like, a problem with that.

Holt's Cat
05-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Maybe Pau will find the real rapist for Kobe.

Pucho!!!
05-31-2008, 12:30 AM

Thats not true, the griz really didnt give any other teams time to set up real offers. They pretty much jumped at what the lakers were offering them hence why the 1st guy that started this thread stated the irony of jerry west presenting the western conference trophy to the lakers because he has strong ties to both the griz and lakers (just wanted to make sure the lakers fans understand).

sedale threatt
05-31-2008, 12:38 AM
I've heard a lot of people joke about a league/Memphis/Jerry Wes conspiracy to help the Lakers, but this board is the first place I've seen people who actually believe it.

Here's the part that I don't get--what was in it for Memphis? Did the league and the Lakers sneak them a back door check for ten million? Why did they do it? Are they just Laker fans? Did they do it just to screw the Mighty Spurs Dynasty? Please explain it for me. Thank you.

GSH
05-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Thats not true, the griz really didnt give any other teams time to set up real offers. They pretty much jumped at what the lakers were offering them hence why the 1st guy that started this thread stated the irony of jerry west presenting the western conference trophy to the lakers because he has strong ties to both the griz and lakers (just wanted to make sure the lakers fans understand).

Not exactly. The Griz made it known that Gasol was available. Several teams approached them about potential deals. But there's always talk, and most of it never amounts to anything. And nothing came of any of those talks.

The deal with L.A. was consummated quickly and quietly. Memphis could easily have shopped Gasol around at that point, but they didn't. They didn't have to worry about disrupting their team chemistry, since they had given up on the season anyway. If you go back and look at the talk right after it happened, even the Laker homer sportscasters and forums thought the Griz could have gotten more for Gasol. Many of them were crowing about how it was the biggest theft in NBA history.

I've heard a lot of people joke about a league/Memphis/Jerry Wes conspiracy to help the Lakers, but this board is the first place I've seen people who actually believe it.

Here's the part that I don't get--what was in it for Memphis? Did the league and the Lakers sneak them a back door check for ten million? Why did they do it? Are they just Laker fans? Did they do it just to screw the Mighty Spurs Dynasty? Please explain it for me. Thank you.

People believe it all over the country. It probably affects us more directly, because we were the ones most likely to run into them in the WCF, which is exactly what happened. But go out and do a few searches, and you'll find plenty of people who thought the trade stunk. And not just fansite homers.

This is the best I can figure about the reason: The Grizzlies have been losing serious money for years. Best I remember, something like $18 mil per year. Their attendance is one of the worst in the league - maybe the worst, since NO got good. The owner has been packaging the team for sale. There was a pending offer for something like $360 million from investors that included Christian Laettner. But Laettner and his group couldn't come up with the money when it was all said and done.

I read one description that said the owner was "strip mining" the team to get it ready for sale. Bottom line, he didn't give a shit where Gasol went. Nor was he interested in re-building the team. Jerry West could see that life as the GM of a disassembled, and soon-to-be-sold team wasn't going to be much fun for a long, long time. There wasn't much he could do about it. But there was something he could still do for his first love.

Yes, he stepped down before the trade. But if he had stayed, the trade probably would have been looked at even closer, just because of the connection and the absurdity of the terms. I'd say that the coincidence in timing was... fortuitous. But if you think, even for a second, that he didn't influence the deal... you should volunteer as a juror on the next O.J. trial.

GSH
05-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Here, I dug up some links:

(Laettner's group trying to buy the team)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2792474

(This one is too kind and PC, but has some details)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/02/07/grizzlies/index.html

(Last week, Griz general manager Chris Wallace expressed outrage that other NBA general managers leaked details of Gasol offers to national media, and then anonymously criticized their deal with the Lakers.

"Well, there you go," Popovich said. "I'm on the record.")
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/10/gasol-trade-irks-spurs-coach/

(Aaron McKie's salary was necessary to make the deal work. The league had to "believe that the Grizzlies really signed him with the intent of playing him". Yeh. Right.)
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_mckie_follow_03.405308d.html

I could find you some links to Lakers forums, and homer sportswriters, where they talked about how one-sided the deal was. Frankly, I'm sick of Lakers fans. You can do a Google search on your own if you don't believe it. I didn't make any of this up.

Does it prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt? Of course not. Neither did the O.J. trial. But you all know the same thing about that one. Guilty.

Zee Laker
05-31-2008, 04:19 AM
Basketball fans still respect the Spurs, though:

*cough*asterisk*cough*

*cough*asterisk*cough*

*cough*asterisk*cough*

whatever makes you feel better about losing man. Nice try

:wakeup

angelbelow
05-31-2008, 04:59 AM
marc gasol is no where near pau in terms of offense.

Harry Callahan
05-31-2008, 07:07 AM

Yeah, right, Kobe's going to out there scoring 35 a night when he's 40. Don't get me wrong, the Lakers are a very good team right now, but when Kobe gets a little older and breaks down, there will be other younger teams to move the Lakers aside.

This will happen well before 2018.

Harry Callahan
05-31-2008, 07:14 AM
BTW,
Kobe was essentially laughing at what the Lakers had to give up to get Gasol.

Kobe said the Gasol trade was and I quote "A contribution". Pretty astute, actually.

The Lakers had what a lot of contending teams did not - a high dollar contract with a totally useless player (Kwame Brown). I don't know when that contract expires, but it may been soon. They traded away backups, stiffs, and two low #1's for a quality big man.

This is just another in the long line of "contributions" LA has benefited from.

The Spurs did not have the pieces to trade to Memphis, particularly comparable player contracts. Their big money contracts are appropriated (that means "given", Laker fans) to their key guys. They have never (given their financial situation) been able to have a non productive player earning big dollars.

sedale threatt
05-31-2008, 08:42 AM
chris wallace sent gasol to the lakers because the griz were bleeding money and they needed salaries off the books in order to sell. the lakers had the biggest expiring contract available. jerry west used to work for the grizzlies, loves the lakers, and admits to being told about the deal. i understand all of that. i'm still trying to understand the stern/nba/lakers "conspiracy" angle. what was the conspiracy? why did chris wallace participate in it?