PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Picks: Lakers vs Celtics

Allanon
05-31-2008, 03:23 AM
http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/22zmr5e6vts9kguwjnmb.jpg
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/series?series=lalbos

I'm rather surprised by the media actually picking the Lakers. Stein, a Laker hater even picked them in 5 which I agree.

Unlike the 2-2-1-1-1 format which favors the HCA team in 5, the away in 6.

The 2-3-2 format favors the AWAY team in 5 and then the HCA team after that: So in less than 6 games, it's better NOT to have HCA in the Finals.

florige
05-31-2008, 09:08 AM
See I think alot of these writers are impressed that they were able to dispose of us in 5 games. To be honest we probably wouldn't have got past NO's if Manu was playing like he was against LA. We were not that good without a healthy Manu, and I think alot of people are trying to compare Boston to us which is a mistake. They provide alot more matchup problems for LA than we did.

manufor3
05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
I still think Celts in 5

Mister Sinister
05-31-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm picking Damn It To Hell over ZOMG STORYLINE in 4.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-31-2008, 10:02 AM
As much as I hate both teams, I can easily say, Lakers will beat the shit out of the Celtics.

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Lakers in 6.

Lakers_55
05-31-2008, 10:43 AM
See, the whole idea of talking sports on the net is to make a case for your team. Everyone has an opinion, but the players and coaches determine the outcome. I didn't expect an 8-0 edge for us at ESPN, but I do expect LA to win it all, in either 5 or 6.

There is a difference between who you want to win, and who can and will win. This is the western conference here. We western folk feel we have been the better conference since Jordan hung up his sneakers with the Bulls. Kind of shows in the results since then, eh?

Seriously, imagine this....Had the Spurs beaten the Lakers, they would have had every motivation in the world to beat Boston. Mainly, a Back-to-Back, undisputed dynasty status, and a place in history as one of the greatest units of all time. Chances are, the Spurs would have pulled it out. Your team is that good. Probably just as good a team as you've had this past decade. However, the Lakers proved to be the better team this time. So why shouldn't we be just as capable of beating Boston as you guys were, if not more so?

This isn't a time to be bitter against LA for Spurs fans. If we win it all, we strengthen the legitimacy of your fine team. If we don't, people will say: "Not even the Spurs would have beaten the Celtics". Is that what you really want? I don't think so.

Best case scenario for the Spurs: Lakers beat Boston this year. SA upsets LA next year and wins it all. Then, Shaq in his last year, takes the mid-level exception as a free agent and plays for his hometown of San Antonio. He figures if he can't beat Duncan, he'll join him for another title. Spurs finally get their back-to-back in 2010 and all other rewards justly due but not yet earned.

Comments on this?

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I am surprised that not a single one of them picked the Celtics. Esp since their biggest gripe this postseason was their "inability to win on the road" and then they went ahead and won 2 HUGE games against a solid Pistons team on their homecourt.

This series is going to be close, but ultimately the difference is going to be Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson out doing anything that Doc Rivers and the Celtics can bring to the table. Not to mention, no one on the Celtics team has Finals experience or even postseason experience of going this far (Posey doesn't count and Cassell hasn't really played).

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Seriously, imagine this....Had the Spurs beaten the Lakers, they would have had every motivation in the world to beat Boston. Mainly, a Back-to-Back, undisputed dynasty status, and a place in history as one of the greatest units of all time. Chances are, the Spurs would have pulled it out. Your team is that good. Probably just as good a team as you've had this past decade. However, the Lakers proved to be the better team this time. So why shouldn't we be just as capable of beating Boston as you guys were, if not more so?

Comments on this?

:lmao You're logic is backwards and doesn't make sense. Just because Team A can beat Team B and Team C, doesn't mean Team B can beat Team C. This is about matchups. You think the Lakers could have gone through and beaten the Suns, then the Hornets, then the Spurs? Not only that, you don't think the Spurs had the motivation to beat the Lakers and get "a Back-to-Back, undisputed dynasty status, and a place in history as one of the greatest units of all time?" Just because you have motivation and heart, doesn't always mean you can beat another team. There's always extenuating circumstances in a close playoff series.

I'm not so sure the Spurs could have beaten the Celtics should they have met in the Finals. Celtics are a very, very good team. Just because they were taken to 7 games by the Hawks and Cavs, people think they aren't that good. Their defense is still one of the best ever, Paul Pierce has seemed to risen his level of play in the big games, Ray Allen is finally finding his missing shooting stroke, they have solid/energetic bench players.

Lakers_55
05-31-2008, 11:02 AM
:lmao You're logic is backwards and doesn't make sense. Just because Team A can beat Team B and Team C, doesn't mean Team B can beat Team C. This is about matchups. You think the Lakers could have gone through and beaten the Suns, then the Hornets, then the Spurs? Not only that, you don't think the Spurs had the motivation to beat the Lakers and get "a Back-to-Back, undisputed dynasty status, and a place in history as one of the greatest units of all time?" Just because you have motivation and heart, doesn't always mean you can beat another team. There's always extenuating circumstances in a close playoff series.

I'm not so sure the Spurs could have beaten the Celtics should they have met in the Finals. Celtics are a very, very good team. Just because they were taken to 7 games by the Hawks and Cavs, people think they aren't that good. Their defense is still one of the best ever, Paul Pierce has seemed to risen his level of play in the big games, Ray Allen is finally finding his missing shooting stroke, they have solid/energetic bench players.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Yeah, I know about the logic of A beats B and then beats C.

To answer your questions, I think the Lakers could have beaten both Phoenix and New Orleans and had enough in the tank to advance. However, that didn't happen. Any possible matchup in the playoff brackets was possible this year, it was that close every day. The west had to go with what they earned.

However, what I am saying is, that your Spurs team of this year was just as good as any you have had, plus they were seasoned. Beating the Lakers and getting to the finals for the first time back-to-back, where you have never lost would make you the favorites, and you probably would have won. Yeah, your team is that good, you have proved it. Lakers of the 80's couldn't get their back-to-back until late in the decade. Same thing could have and still may happen with SA. Decade doesn't end until 2010.

Meanwhile, although my speculation about Shaq coming over in 2009 may be reaching a bit, but maybe not. Think about it, he is under contract for next year I believe, but eventually he won't be. You know Shaq wants another ring, why not try in his hometown. I am curious what Spurs fans think about this. Limited minutes for the big cactus, but a huge impact while he's out there.

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 11:16 AM
First of all, I wouldn't be so sure the Lakers could have beaten the Hornets...again this comes to matchups.

Lakers have no one who could have defended Peja as well as Bowen. You saw what Peja did without Bowen on him in the first two games of that series. They also have no way of containing CP3 and David West/Chandler would have abused Gasol/Odom.

True, the Hornets have no one who could defend Kobe, but I think they had several other key mismatches in other places that would have helped them.

Allanon
05-31-2008, 11:25 AM
First of all, I wouldn't be so sure the Lakers could have beaten the Hornets...again this comes to matchups.

Lakers have no one who could have defended Peja as well as Bowen. You saw what Peja did without Bowen on him in the first two games of that series. They also have no way of containing CP3 and David West/Chandler would have abused Gasol/Odom.

True, the Hornets have no one who could defend Kobe, but I think they had several other key mismatches in other places that would have helped them.

I think the Lakers would have matched up better against the Hornets than the Jazz because the Hornets are a finesse team like the Lakers.

There are 2 kinds of teams that can get wins against the Lakers, maybe not a series but for sure a game or two:
1) Physical grind out teams like the Spurs, Rockets, Cavaliers and Jazz
2) Crazy Athletic teams like the Blazers, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Hawks, Sonics

The Hornets also have a major, major flaw....their no-bench.

The Hornets have possibly the best starting 5 in the West, but their bench is trash except for Pargo. Backup Power Forward or Center? Nope, just NBDL trash. The Spurs bench is very deep compared to the Hornet bench.

Peja would have been guarded by mini-Peja (Sasha) or Radman who is practically Peja's size and speed.

Pau would have owned Chandler. If Chandler gets in foul trouble, you can forget about the Hornets, they have nobody to replace him but trash.

West would have beaten Odom but not by much. The problem with West on
Odom is that Odom is just as quick as he is and taller. Odom has problems against bigger power forwards or tiny quick ones. West is neither one.

CP3 would have burned Fisher but the Lakers would have let him score away.

And of course Kobe would have killed Mo Peterson. Mo Peterson is the same guy that gave Kobe 81 points.

I think the Lakers would have swept the Hornets.

Marklar MM
05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Celtics are going to get creamed.

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
I think the Lakers would have matched up better against the Hornets than the Jazz because the Hornets are a finesse team like the Lakers.

There are 2 kinds of teams that can get wins against the Lakers, maybe not a series but for sure a game or two:
1) Physical grind out teams like the Spurs, Rockets, Cavaliers and Jazz
2) Crazy Athletic teams like the Blazers, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Hawks, Sonics

The Hornets also have a major, major flaw....their no-bench.

The Hornets have possibly the best starting 5 in the West, but their bench is trash except for Pargo. Backup Power Forward or Center? Nope, just NBDL trash. The Spurs bench is very deep compared to the Hornet bench.

Peja would have been guarded by mini-Peja (Sasha) or Radman who is practically Peja's size and speed.

Pau would have owned Chandler. If Chandler gets in foul trouble, you can forget about the Hornets, they have nobody to replace him but trash.

West would have beaten Odom but not by much. The problem with West on
Odom is that Odom is just as quick as he is and taller. Odom has problems against bigger power forwards or tiny quick ones. West is neither one.

CP3 would have burned Fisher but the Lakers would have let him score away.

And of course Kobe would have killed Mo Peterson. Mo Peterson is the same guy that gave Kobe 81 points.

I think the Lakers would have swept the Hornets.

:lmao I love how delusional 99% of LakerFans are. That unassuming cockiness and short-term memory and surface analysis are the very reason why I can't stand the Lakers or its fanbase.

monosylab1k
05-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Kinda reminds me of how they all picked the Suns to beat the Spurs this year.

phxspurfan
05-31-2008, 12:27 PM
I think this will go 6 games with Lakers going home with the trophy. No one can close out games like Kobe.

Leetonidas
05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm very surprised by those picks. I'll take Boston in 7. Not because I dislike the Lakers, I just think that Boston is finally rounding into form and they look better.

rascal
05-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll take Boston. Garnett will win at least one. The Lakers year will be next year when they get Bynum back.

Tag
05-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Lakers would have owned the Suns and the Hornets just like they did in the regular season whenever they had bynum or gasol.

z0sa
05-31-2008, 01:28 PM
yeah, cmon spurs fans. WE should have swept them, instead we basically gave NO three wins for the price of showing up.

LA is poised for the kill here, but Boston has homecourt. I think that plays a key role on all those young bench players for LA.

DDS4
05-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Celtics have shown a little playoff moxy in the Detroit series. Maybe they've grown a little bit as they go.

I still don't think they have enough vs. the Lakers. Kobe is just on an entirely different level right now. He's figured out when to get his teammates involved and when to take over.

I think the Lakers take the series in 6.

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 03:37 PM
One thing I will give the Celtics credit for is they play very, very good defense. Possibly even better and more consistently than this year's Spurs. They have better defender's to match up and defend the Spurs athletic young bench and they have more scoring options than the Spurs did. What did the Spurs in wasn't neccessarily their inability to defend the Lakers, but their inability to score the basket at key stretches of the game. Celtics have proven to have more than "The Big 3" in that regard as guys like Eddie House, Posey, Cassell, Powe, Tony Allen and even occasionally Rondo have shown they can come in and score baskets.

However, like I said, I just think ultimately Kobe is going to be too much for Paul Pierce to handle and I think Phil Jackson is going outcoach Doc Rivers and that's ultimately going to be the series. And to add to that, the Lakers have proven to be a great road team, and if they happen to steal 1 of the first two games, they play 3 straight at home where they are undefeated dating back to March I believe.

angel_luv
05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
I wish there were a way both teams could lose.

Staff Sgt. Dignam
05-31-2008, 03:45 PM
The 2-3-2 format favors the AWAY team in 5 and then the HCA team after that: So in less than 6 games, it's better NOT to have HCA in the Finals.

I'll go back in time 10 years for you. Since 1998, only three of the ten away teams to play have won. The '98 Bulls, the '04 Pistons and the '06 Heat. And the last time the Lakers were coming home for the 3 finals Games in the middle with a 1-1 split, the Bulls swept all 3 games.

Lakers fan shows his ineptitude once again.

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I'll go back in time 10 years for you. Since 1998, only three of the ten away teams to play have won. The '98 Bulls, the '04 Pistons and the '06 Heat. And the last time the Lakers were coming home for the 3 finals Games in the middle with a 1-1 split, the Bulls swept all 3 games.

:owned

Lakers_55
05-31-2008, 03:53 PM

Since you like history so much, let's look at the Celtics history.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2567243&postcount=22

You must enjoy getting owned. Silly Celtic fans still riding the coattails of their only legitimate dynasty. Lakers own the Celtics since then!

Staff Sgt. Dignam
05-31-2008, 04:00 PM
16 > 14, son.

Lakers_55
05-31-2008, 04:04 PM
16 > 14, son.

That will be change soon. you know it deep down. History shows you can't compete anymore with LA. Your 11-5 lead has been outscored 9-5 since Russell left.

J.T.
05-31-2008, 04:08 PM
That will be change soon. you know it deep down. History shows you can't compete anymore with LA. Your 11-5 lead has been outscored 9-5 since Russell left.

What history? The '85 and '87 Finals? No players from either of those teams will be suiting up for this year's Finals. Good one, Lakers fan :lmao

Lakers_55
05-31-2008, 04:36 PM
What history? The '85 and '87 Finals? No players from either of those teams will be suiting up for this year's Finals. Good one, Lakers fan :lmao

Well, let me be specific. Boston used to have a habit of fielding good teams, rebuilding as do the Lakers. However, as I pointed out in one of these threads, the Celtic history since Russell retired has not been anywhere near what the 60's Celtics did. Matter of fact, it's pathetic for the number of times they had best record in the 70's and 80's. Search my recent posts, it's there.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, no one from 1985 and 1987 is playing, although Kareem and Rambis are coaching on the Laker bench, and Magic is behind the scenes. But that's part of what makes certain franchises great. Lakers know how to rebuild, as do your Spurs. Great franchises know how to retool and win again. you can expect your team to win a few more in the next decade and beyond if history has taught you anything, and this decade is still alive.

Just because I am a Laker fan doesn't mean I am the bad guy. I contribute well thought out stuff here, and I actually like your team a lot. For now, history says Boston hasn't had much since Russell retired and nothing for over 20 years. It's pretty much this season or bust for them. Lakers will be a factor for as long as Kobe keeps his game intact.

Just remember that great teams rebuild when need be. Lakers have proven it, and so have the Spurs. Not too many other teams can match what they've done.

Allanon
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM

Hahah, that's a joke. If you look at the teams, those were series in which the home team was significantly better than the away team. Even the format can't help you there.

But if you break down the more even series, the away team won. Add to that the Home team has never won all 3 middle games.

The better road team almost always wins in a 2-3-2 format.

Lakers in 5. Hope that helps you sleep better at night Sarge. :D

Lake_show
05-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Celtics chant "Beat LA"

Kobe will stomp on their throats.

DazedAndConfused
05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
The Celtics won 11 of their 16 titles before 1970.

They aren't even close to being the greatest franchise in the modern NBA. That goes to the Lakers who have nearly double the amount of titles and far more Finals appearances. The Lakers have managed to win titles in every era of the NBA and you will never see them suck donkey dick for two straight decades like the Celtics have.

All you need to know is those same diehard Celtic fans who are out talking shit now were chanting MVP for Kobe last year. Chew on that.

TampaDude
05-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Sorry, Boston fans...get ready for another heartbreak...the Lakers are gonna destroy the Celtics...it's not even a contest, really...

Lakers in 5... :toast

monosylab1k
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Here's a list of Do's and Don'ts for Lakers fans at their home games. I stole this and have no intention of providing a link.

Do arrive late. Like five minutes before the first quarter ends. You don't want the Celtics fans thinking you are actually nervous about the game or don't have more important things to do besides watch the Lakers.

Do text incessantly on your Blackberry. It makes you look important at the game.

Do eat the sushi and pass on the nachos. It's so tacky to eat commoners food at Staples Center.

Don't get loud if the Lakers are losing. Be as quiet as a mouse, as usual. You don't want to give the television viewing audience the impression that, by golly, Lakers fans really do root for their team even if they are losing.

Don't stay til the end of the game. Traffic is your major priority, not the game.

Do find some chores you've been meaning to do (if watching the game from home) when the Lakers go into a mini shooting-slump. Or watch Tivo'd episodes of Lost. Just keep hitting the "last" button on your remote to check when they make a comeback so you can be the good fan that you are and cheer them on.

Do use the word "hater" for anyone who isn't impressed with the Lakers' performance.

Do trust Jack's body language for the definitive answer as to how well the referees are making the calls. He knows more about the game than those refs. Just ask him.

Do talk on your cell phone the minute the camera is focused on you, and wave like an #### while telling your friend on the phone you're on TV. This is one way to be discovered in La-La land.

Do wear your Armani shirt and jeans to the game instead of a Lakers jersey. The fact that you paid $2500 for a seat should be proof enough that you're a fan.

Don't forget to take your pet chihuahua out of your Louis Vuitton tote at half-time and let him relieve himself.

Do keep your sunglasses on during the game. It makes you look important and it hides those red eyes from the dry cocktails you had pre-game.

Do have a prepared list of excuses in case the Lakers lose. The most tried and true excuses include: "Kobe is hurt", "we didn't match-up well", "we had too much rest", "we play better on the road", "the refs hate us", "Kobe needs more help", "Kobe was a ball-hog", "we were looking ahead", "Garnett is a crybaby and got he refs' sympathies", "we weren't expected to win", "no one thought we would get this far anyway", "Ray Allen is a flopper", and "they have more veterans."

Lake_show
06-01-2008, 12:16 AM
16 > 14, son.

This from the franchise that chanted Kobe for MVP at home?

Lakers_55
06-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Hahah, that's a joke. If you look at the teams, those were series in which the home team was significantly better than the away team. Even the format can't help you there.

But if you break down the more even series, the away team won. Add to that the Home team has never won all 3 middle games.

The better road team almost always wins in a 2-3-2 format.

Lakers in 5. Hope that helps you sleep better at night Sarge. :D

Don't forget 2004, we lost those to Detroit. However, that loss is the motivation that will carry this Laker team through.

Bob Lanier
06-01-2008, 03:34 AM
Lakers in four; Celtics can't score.

Supergirl
06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
C's in 6

Purple & Gold
06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Is Mav fan trying to talk shit about the Lakers? :lol :lol

Purple & Gold
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
16 > 14, son.

Haven't been relevant in 20+ years.

Lakers > Celtics

and

Magic > Bird

21_Blessings
06-02-2008, 12:32 AM
This from the franchise that chanted Kobe for MVP at home?

Seriously. How fucking pathetic.

David Wooderson
06-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Add to that the Home team has never won all 3 middle games.

The '04 Pistons say hi. Funny you don't remember that seeing how they beat your team in that series. The '06 Heat send their regards as well.

In case you meant the team with HCA hasn't ever won the middle three away games, the '91 Bulls also say hello. Guess who's court they came to and swept all three games? That's right, the Lakers.

Seriously, did you just start watching the NBA this year?

David Wooderson
06-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Haven't been relevant in 20+ years.

So if the Celtics 16 titles are discredited because they haven't been relevant for 20 years, can we discredit you and 99% of your fellow Lakers fans when you play the 14 rings card even though most of you weren't even born when they won those 5 titles in Minny?

J.T.
06-02-2008, 12:42 AM

:lmao

These are the guys that were Suns fans from July '04 until April '08.

DazedAndConfused
06-02-2008, 02:16 AM
So if the Celtics 16 titles are discredited because they haven't been relevant for 20 years, can we discredit you and 99% of your fellow Lakers fans when you play the 14 rings card even though most of you weren't even born when they won those 5 titles in Minny?

Wrong. The Lakers have won 9 titles since the 70's. 1 in the 70's, 5 in the 80's, and 3 from 2000-2002.

The Lakers have pretty much won in every decade and have made it to the Finals countless times. They've always been a relevant team, unlike the Celtics who haven't come close to sniffing a trophy since the 80's.

Allanon
06-02-2008, 07:00 AM
The '04 Pistons say hi. Funny you don't remember that seeing how they beat your team in that series. The '06 Heat send their regards as well.

In case you meant the team with HCA hasn't ever won the middle three away games, the '91 Bulls also say hello. Guess who's court they came to and swept all three games? That's right, the Lakers.

Hahah, 1 series in 25 years? That's all the research you could bring up with your basketball "knowledge". I was recalling from memory, so I missed 1. If anything, you proved that once in 25 years ain't good odds. Thanks.

Once in 25 years needing a Jordan in his prime and and a declining Magic, I'll take those chances. Lakers in 5 :D

Allanon
06-02-2008, 07:04 AM

Why don't you go do some research on that first unless you're so old you can only remember the 50s and 60s? Your Celtics haven't won in 2 decades. How old are you? 60?

:downspin: