PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili expects to be OK for Beijing

Spurs Brazil
05-31-2008, 04:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au9vjgegz3gNpYuuhmZIniqM0bYF?slug=ap-oly-ginobili&prov=ap&type=lgns

Ginobili expects to be OK for Beijing
By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer
46 minutes ago

SAN ANTONIO (AP)—San Antonio Spurs star Manu Ginobili said he expects his injured ankle to be healed by the time he and Argentina’s national team begin the defense of their 2004 gold medal in the Summer Olympics in Beijing.

“It’s something that I am looking forward to and of course at the same time I want to get ready, healthy to try to defend it,” Ginobili said Saturday.

Practices for the team don’t begin until early July, meaning Ginobili will have more than a month to let his ankle recover. The Olympics are Aug. 8-24.

“Yesterday I got an injection to get the swelling off of the joint, and they told me that in a week, 10 days I’ll be totally fine,” Ginobili said. “So I trust them and I think I’m going to be perfectly healed.”

Ginobili hurt his left ankle early in the playoffs and it clearly hampered him in the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers. After averaging 18.2 and 21.3 points in the first two series against Phoenix and New Orleans, Ginobili’s output fell to 12.6 points against Los Angeles.

The Spurs lost to the Lakers in five games. The series concluded Thursday night and San Antonio failed to successfully defend last year’s NBA title.

Ginobili, this season’s Sixth Man Award winner, was the Spurs’ leading scorer during the regular season with 19.5 points per game.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said there is always concern about the physical toll that playing in the offseason can have.

“He’s got to heal and he’s going to have that time,” Popovich said. “We started that process today with Manu and he’ll be off of his ankle for the next four to five weeks. Obviously we couldn’t do that during the playoffs, would have been great if we could have, but he’ll be off of it for a good month for sure.

“I think once it’s healed, then he’ll play for the Argentine team. And that’s probably a good thing because these guys play in the summertime anyway and the more organized you can be, probably the less chance you have of getting an injury.”

After the Olympics, Ginobili will have several more weeks before beginning the NBA season.

Argentina beat Italy 84-69 in 2004 in Athens for the gold. Ginobili had 16 points and six assists in that game.

Ginobili sat out last summer’s qualifying tournament, in which Argentina lost to the United States in the gold medal game.

Brutalis
05-31-2008, 04:17 PM
I could careless what he does this summer. He comes back next year better or I'm quitting the Church of Manu.

porscha
05-31-2008, 05:35 PM
go manu go, let's go get the real WORLD CHAMPION then this fixed NBA,
then come back and eat them alive again.

Nbadan
05-31-2008, 05:40 PM
......Scrub a 08-09 championship....

Mulletino
05-31-2008, 05:45 PM
He needs to chill for the summer.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Let Manu be Manu.

Besides, maybe leading a squad and beating a stacked team with Lebron, Kobe, D. Howard, etc. Will make 2009 Manu = 2005 Manu again.

Manu doing nothing the whole 2007 sure did us a lot of good. :lol

You can't predict the future and time it right, so fuck it, just live.

J.T.
05-31-2008, 07:12 PM
At least we can still cheer for Manu to win the gold in the summer. Honestly I hope his ankle gets better and he gets his lift and agility back and sticks it to Team USA, they deserve it for cutting Bruce.

greens
05-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Pop is extra careful with injuries and such. If he thinks that Manu's ankle has enough time to heal before the Olympics, then I believe him. Manu has a full month off to heal it before the Olympics. Then after the Olympics, he has about a month of rest before the regular season starts.

He's almost 31 years old. So he knows this is probably his best chance to compete for a repeat Olympic gold medal.

1Parker1
05-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Manu getting his revenge in the Summer Olympics and beating Kobe and Team USA may would be awesome. :tu

ducks
05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
I think he needs to go to pop's house for his exit intervie
and pop can get him sick and he has to rest

ducks
05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Manu getting his revenge in the Summer Olympics and beating Kobe and Team USA may would be awesome. :tu

why ?
he would go all out and might hurt himself
that would not be COOL

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Seeing Manu win it in 2004 was pretty fun. Maybe he can bookend it in 2008.

Also, Manu getitng his explosion and lift back will be an F U to all his media doubters, especially if he, again, beats a stacked US squad with his guys.

ShoogarBear
05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Hmmm.

If TP had hurt his ankle and was talking about playing for France this summer, the board would go new-cue-lar.

Anti.Hero
05-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Stupid stupid stupid. You are not going to beat USA this year. You left us hanging in L.A. along with the Spurs legacy.

I don't give a shit what you do this summer. :Shrug: Parker and everyone else should play too. It's not like they will ever repeat again so who cares about getting beat up during the summer anymore.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Hmmm.

If TP had hurt his ankle and was talking about playing for France this summer, the board would go new-cue-lar.

Maybe...Also maybe cuz France sucks?

(The team.. not the country :stirpot:)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Stupid stupid stupid. You are not going to beat USA this year. You left us hanging in L.A. along with the Spurs legacy.

I don't give a shit what you do this summer. :Shrug: Parker and everyone else should play too. It's not like they will ever repeat again so who cares about getting beat up during the summer anymore.

Get over it. Also the Spurs legacy is fine.

and if you're talking about the repeat "legacy" that's a bunch of baloney, overblown and played up by the Spurs detractors and haters in the media and stupid-ass funny.
It's so funny how they try to discredit our championships, especially the 4th one, to the point where they inadvertently discredited Larry Bird's "dynasty" of sorts where now the 80's Celtics are glossed over.

Spurs have a chance to win a fifth next year, and they'll be right back in the mix. The Spurs legacy in this bullshit media-biased fanbase will never be set, because if we repeated, (and should we repeat in the future by some fortune) our legacy wouldn't be set because we never 3-peated etc. We could 4 peat, and still be scoffed at..."oh it was in a time when our up and coming all -stars were still in their infancy, the competition wasn't great"..."It was when Kobe Bynum and Gasol were in their meltdown years, etc. where they were having 'serious trust issues' "

pjjrfan
05-31-2008, 07:43 PM
My view is that these guys have a right to play for their country if they want to. There's some guys who get a lot of heat cause they didn't want to play for the USA back in the early 2000's but I like the system now although I still think every player sould try out and win a spot on the US team.

pjjrfan
05-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Also Manu is such a special player that it's hard to measure his worth on the open market, because he doesn't fall into a specific category other than being one of those rare guys who will leave it out on the floor day in and day out. You could tell Manu was not healthy, the spirit was willing but the body was too broke down.