PDA

View Full Version : O'neal to be traded?

saxman
05-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Pacers center Jermaine O'Neal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120/) was a guest on The Monty Show on Sporting News Radio yesterday. It's an excellent interview (http://radio.sportingnews.com/), most notably for JO's remarks on where he sees himself in the Pacers' immediate future. The ($20 million) money quote:

"I really believe if it comes down to them totally rebuilding, I believe that they will move me. That's pretty much the consensus thought I got from the ownership and management before I left Indianapolis. I don't think it's going to come down to a situation where we got to go back and forth, back and forth for me to be moved on, because they've just totally re-hauled the team. I think if they're going to re-haul the team, then they will move me, and move me to another team that has a chance of winning a championship."

======================================
After reading the above article I wondered if O'neal would make sense for the Spurs. He would complement Duncan very well...Duncan would play the Power Forward position while O'neal would play the center position. Both Duncan and O'neal have outside shots. Both can post up. And, both are capable shot blockers....

E20
05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
How's his health? That would be nice.

2003 all over again.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2008, 05:57 PM
He makes $21 million a year and hasn't averaged about 50 games a year over the last four years (42/69/51/44).

I can't see the Spurs ever considering paying someone more than Tim makes when he can't even stay healthy.

jag
05-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Doubt we have anything the Pacers would want, but maybe this trend of rebuilding teams swapping scrubs for all-star big men will continue...

AFBlue
05-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Spurs don't have anywhere near the salary to pick him up without giving up one of the big 3....and that ain't happening.

I see a VC for O'Neal swap....or something like that.

cobbler
05-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm, Then I guess he's going to the Lakers or Celts since so many think they are the only teams with a chance due to Stern, the refs, and the CONSPIRICY!

:lmao

Ghost Writer
05-31-2008, 06:41 PM
He's done.

Next.

BlackSwordsMan
05-31-2008, 06:45 PM
this guy is always hurt why would spurs trade for him?

ducks
05-31-2008, 06:49 PM
they would trade for him just as soon as they trade tp

kaji157
05-31-2008, 06:54 PM
In other words.

Reporter: Paul are you going to opt out to go to a Contender?

Jermaine: Not likely, you now i am going to cash in while iīll satrt bitching and demanding a trade, it has been very productive in the past for players like Paul Pierce and Kobe Bryant who finally got their Owners and FO to take their heads out of their arses, as a matter of fact, even when they didnīt get traded to a contender they all got the objective of a fine player, Cash in while you contend, and they even didnīt have to move out.
You can also pull out what we are now calling a Sam Casell, you bitch around enough trying to kill the team chemistry to a point when the team has to pay yo to go to a contender, it was a nice move by Sam but i am not sure it will work for me with my salary, maybe pulling a Marbury/Francis but that would be mean even for me.

Reporter: Donīt you thing you can be nice like KG?

Jermaine: Hell no, KG was lucky that Paul Pierce was bitching around for Boston to form a better team, basically just like Allen got lucky, there is no point on staying humble. Pau Gasol did the right thing, you know, just because a team pays you around 20 millions doesnīt mean you have to play for a crappy team, he did well in forcing that team to get what they deserved, a bunch of scrubs for not being able to build a better team.

Reporter: Thank you for the interview, i appreciate you came.

Jermain: Thank you Tom, when are you sending the money?

dbreiden83080
05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
13 and 6 a game for 20 mil a year, NO Thanks.

Anti.Hero
05-31-2008, 07:40 PM
He's done.

Next.

Unless he wants to do some charity work for a ring (cheapppp).

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Jermaine O'Neal, when's the last time he's played in the NBA? 2001?

greens
05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
He makes $21 million a year and hasn't averaged about 50 games a year over the last four years (42/69/51/44).

I can't see the Spurs ever considering paying someone more than Tim makes when he can't even stay healthy.

Plus, Shaq is selfish. Not exactly a Spurs type player.

Velo
05-31-2008, 07:56 PM
:lol
wrong O'neal
Talkin J. O'Neal, The better of the two.

greens
05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
wrong O'neal
Talkin J. O'Neal, The better of the two.

Oh, whoops!

Budkin
05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I was all for this in 2003. Not now. The guy is done.

Mulletino
05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Not for $20 mil.
You can get Ron Artest for less. How much is Rasheed worth?

Chief
05-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Plus, Shaq is selfish. Not exactly a Spurs type player.

ElNono
05-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Even for 3 million a year, I wouldn't want that guy anywhere near our team...

lefty
05-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Jermaine is a fantastic PF, but injury prone.

I would like Brand or Okafor

mystargtr34
05-31-2008, 09:58 PM
The only way i see us getting Jermaine... is if he opts out.

Which would be crazy because he would be giving up about $12 mil minimum.

Ibleedslvrnblk
05-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Corey Maggette is now my offical must get....OR how about Ricky Davis?

td4mvp21
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
I'd rather the Spurs trade for Rasheed Wallace.

Dim Tuncan
05-31-2008, 10:12 PM
I would like Brand or Okafor

... and a new pair of Apple Bottoms, a pony, a pink banana-flavored buttplug...

:rolleyes

midgetonadonkey
05-31-2008, 10:35 PM
It seems this same thread is created every offseason.

FilSpursFan
05-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Can we get Dwythe Howard?

YODA
05-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Scared to throw this name out, but Ron Artest, as a player, perfect fit, everything else about him is a Scary cancer.

pawe
06-01-2008, 12:04 AM
It seems this same thread is created every offseason.

what else is there to talk about?

lefty
06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
... and a new pair of Apple Bottoms, a pony, a pink banana-flavored buttplug...

:rolleyes

And that too

Spurtacus
06-01-2008, 03:06 AM
I wouldn't mind O'Neal. He'd had to take a serious paycut. Pop probably wouldn't play him more than 30 minutes a game.

I'd rather have Artest though.

venitian navigator
06-01-2008, 03:30 AM
If we have to stick with the 2010 plan, maybe these two years is time to spend...big big money!!!
If Indiana want to rebiuld, their plan can't be different that sell big, long term contracts of players that did't contribute for what they've been payed (first of all, o'neal) for small term contracts and maybe some draft choices.
That's why I don't see a O'Neal / Carter deal a real option for indiana.
I think O'Neal is a high risk choice, but given his contract expires in 2010, is a worthy one...
So I would't mind to having him for, let's say, a bonner + one or more of our old free agents re-signed just to balance the numbers...and some second choices
Then try to pray artest to come with his old bud for the mle.
Then draft a reserve point guard
......and call it a hopeful off season!!!

TDMVPDPOY
06-01-2008, 03:59 AM
JO might be injury prone, but if he comes to the spurs, his work will be limited to what his doing in indiana....spurs are only askn for defense, rebs and a few points....but for 20mill? no thanks....even rasho was overpaid when he came here for limited production....

Bob Lanier
06-01-2008, 04:24 AM
I'm sure the Spurs can fill their need for a power forehead who jacks up bad shots and doesn't rebound for about a quarter the amount that Jermaine's pulling in.

LakerLanny
06-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Just in terms of basketball, I think Jermaine would be a nice fit with Tim Duncan. They do different things, Jermaine would definitely be a major upgrade.

Problem is his contract. I don't see SA wanting to touch that contract, nor do many other teams. Bottom line is he hit the jackpot and essentially made himself untradeable in the process.

exstatic
06-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Just in terms of basketball, I think Jermaine would be a nice fit with Tim Duncan. They do different things, Jermaine would definitely be a major upgrade.

Problem is his contract. I don't see SA wanting to touch that contract, nor do many other teams. Bottom line is he hit the jackpot and essentially made himself untradeable in the process.

The NYK have contracts to get it done. The problem is, I'm not sure that going to NY is better than riding out a re-build in Indy.

Spur-Addict
06-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Spurs don't have anywhere near the salary to pick him up without giving up one of the big 3....and that ain't happening.

I see a VC for O'Neal swap....or something like that.

VC is garbage and not a re-tooling piece. I'd rather stay with Jermaine anyday. Furthermore, we could get him if the Pacers pay a portion of his salary. Of course we'd have to move Bonner and Ime. But, they wouldn't want either player. So, unless they pay a massive portion of his contract it's not happening. I WISH!!!!!

exstatic
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
VC is garbage and not a re-tooling piece. I'd rather stay with Jermaine anyday. Furthermore, we could get him if the Pacers pay a portion of his salary. Of course we'd have to move Bonner and Ime. But, they wouldn't want either player. So, unless they pay a massive portion of his contract it's not happening. I WISH!!!!!

Actually, no matter who is paying what, the salaries have to match in a trade. Since Jermaine makes $20M, one of the big three must be included, plus almost every other player on the roster. Not going to happen.

exstatic
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Can we get Dwythe Howard?

Dwight Howard has already signed his extension and is unavailable. Next.