PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi may be better than you think

dbestpro
05-31-2008, 07:38 PM
There are some interesting comments about the Spurs and Mahinmi in SI. For link look at insidehoops.com

And make no mistake, San Antonio will continue to do well, with help waiting in the wings. Power forward Ian Mahinmi, San Antonio's top pick in the 2005 draft, came over from France before the season and averaged 16.8 points and 8.0 rebounds with the Austin Toros, San Antonio's D-League affiliate. Still overseas is Tiago Splitter, a lottery talent who slid to the bottom of the first round in the '07 draft due to a hefty buyout in his Spanish League contract. The 6-foot-11, 232-pound Brazilian averaged 14 points and five rebounds this season with Spanish power Tau Ceramica. SI.com

"Mahinmi has the potential to be an All-Star," an Eastern Conference executive said. "He needs to get a little stronger, but he has the skill set to play inside and outside. I can see him being a very good player on a contending team." SI.com

With the season now over, the Spurs will look to address that need in the draft, where they will have a first- and two second-round picks. Expect at least one of those selections to be spent on an unheralded international player. And expect, at some point, for that player to be a contributor. SI.com

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 07:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/i_mahinmi_300_080124.jpg

FREE IAN MAHINMI.

timvp
05-31-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

Mr. Body
05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
How good can you be, Ian Mahinmi?
Spurs Nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
Ooo-ooo-ooo.

pjjrfan
05-31-2008, 07:52 PM
WEll I sure hope so!!!!!

K-State Spur
05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
How good do I think he is?

BlackSwordsMan
05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Looks like horry is about to lose his number

SRJ
05-31-2008, 07:55 PM
How good can you be, Ian Mahinmi?
Spurs Nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
Ooo-ooo-ooo.

"How good are you..." fits the song better. /nitpick

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
If Mahinmi could contribute a consistent 15 to 20 minutes a night next season, Splitter won't be missed. This is a tall order, no doubt. But the Spurs have to give him that shot. Ian is not going to polish his skills that much more in Austin. He needs time on a NBA court. Rebound, defend, block shots, run the floor, and put back the ball. That's what they need out of him. Splitter reneging on his promise or whatever may very well be a significant blessing in disguise.

tav1
05-31-2008, 08:00 PM
If Mahinmi could contribute a consistent 15 to 20 minutes a night next season, Splitter won't be missed. This is a tall order, no doubt. But the Spurs have to give him that shot. Ian is not going to polish his skills that much more in Austin. He needs time on a NBA court. Rebound, defend, block shots, run the floor, and put back the ball. That's what they need out of him. Splitter reneging on his promise or whatever may very well be a significant blessing in disguise.

Splitter might be more valuable to the Spurs as a trade chip. If we squeeze that lemon, we'll get some juice.

dbestpro
05-31-2008, 08:02 PM
I have a hard time believing Pop would have given significant minutes to two rookie big men. Splitter sitting out another two years maybe a blessing in disguise for both players.

ShoogarBear
05-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Splitter might be more valuable to the Spurs as a trade chip. If we squeeze that lemon, we'll get some juice.

Yeah, if history holds they'll do doubt squeeze a second-round pick out of the TWolves in exchange for the rights to Splitter and taking Bonner off the books.

Marcus Bryant
This isn't to say Pop wouldn't be amenable to such a move. After all, he started Tony when he was a 19 year old in his 2nd NBA game. From France. Point guard. He started Jack when it was clear his unpolished self was much better than the polished Steve Smith.

K-State Spur
If Splitter re-signs with Tau, I don't see him having any trade value.

If he doesn't come over now, it's reasonable to expect that he never will.

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Nah, they actually want Splitter here. If he does indeed have a $500K buyout next summer then he'll come over next summer. They didn't want Beno or Scola. And it showed.

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM

No way. Splitter's still a part of the plan.

timvp
05-31-2008, 08:09 PM
If Mahinmi could contribute a consistent 15 to 20 minutes a night next season, Splitter won't be missed. This is a tall order, no doubt. But the Spurs have to give him that shot. Ian is not going to polish his skills that much more in Austin. He needs time on a NBA court. Rebound, defend, block shots, run the floor, and put back the ball. That's what they need out of him. Splitter reneging on his promise or whatever may very well be a significant blessing in disguise.Yeah, Mahinmi definitely has a higher ceiling than Splitter. The nice thing about Splitter is he was a plug-n-play option. In fact, Splitter is probably more ready for the NBA than Oberto was when Oberto first came over. However, like Oberto, Splitter doesn't have huge potential. Splitter basically could top out as an average to a slightly above average center.

Mahinmi, on the other hand, is much more of a wild card. He's not ready right now but I think the Spurs have to force him to be ready. As Duncan ages, there will come a time where he can't be counted on to clean up every mistake as the other bigman on the court for the Spurs watches. That's where Mahinmi's athleticism could really come into play.

Mahinmi could either bust out of the league and be back in Europe in two years or he could be the missing piece in the middle that has been empty since Robinson retired. I think it's 50/50 either way right now.

Summer league will be an important time. Pop believing in him early on and giving him playing time will also be vital. I don't care if he sucks for the first three months next year, he has to get his 15-20 minutes per game. At worst, the Spurs need to figure out ASAP what they have. Burying him at the end of the bench for another year would be a mistake, IMO. Splitter would have been nice because he would have been able to come in and start and give Mahinmi time to grow. It looks like the Spurs don't have that luxury so it'll be time to let Mahnimi sink or swim to begin next season.

Sway
05-31-2008, 08:13 PM
I dont think he can possibly be better than what most people on here think. I mean right now he is somewhere between "All Star & Duncan Replacement." Dont get me wrong I hope he is all that, but expectations are pretty high for him. Im just saying...

v2freak
05-31-2008, 08:13 PM
I know a lot of people are banking on Mahinmi and Splitter to be the young saviors the Spurs have been searching for, but I wouldn't count on it. Hope for the best but expect the worst.

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 08:16 PM
What works in Mahinmi's favor is that, if anything, the Spurs want to get out and run more. This is the natural evolution of the team from one dominated by Duncan in the post to one led by Tony in the open court. Mahinmi is a natural fit for that kind of offense. What will make or break him will be on the defensive end. He has the raw talent and athleticism to be a very good defensive player. But he'll have to learn that all on the fly next season.

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM
I dont think he can possibly be better than what most people on here think. I mean right now he is somewhere between "All Star & Duncan Replacement." Dont get me wrong I hope he is all that, but expectations are pretty high for him. Im just saying...

I think he can contribute 8, 5, and 1 a night next season.

dbestpro
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM
At least he will not have to learn how to shoot free throws.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2008, 08:18 PM
timvp and I are figuring out now if we are going to be able to go to both summer leagues (Las Vegas/Salt Lake). If so, it's going to be interesting to see how Mahinmi has developed. Many teams are sending their good young players to Vegas. So it will be (hopefully) fun to see him in person against some kind of competition.

mikekim
05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
I hope Pop doesn't pull a Beno on Ian.

But then again, I highly doubt Ian is as big of a pansy as Beno.

Hey...if things work out, Ian could be a poor-man's Amare Stoudemire, right? (With a better IQ, of course.)

Tiago Splitter would be awesome though...just for the name. Can you imagine how many headlines could come out of that name?

Mahinmi? Not so much.

The Truth #6
05-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Screw it - resign Horry for one year for the minimum to be Ian's Caldwell Jones. Horry wants to be a coach so this could be practice.

From the little I saw of Ian on the Spurs last year I thought he showed some promising signs. He ran the court well. He actively looked to block shots, and stuffed a few in one game. He has a decent jump hook shot. All of that already seemed better than what Horry had to offer.

I think Ian should come in to focus on his defense first and then slowly work on other aspects as he gets used to playing in the NBA.

(As for the other bigs - there's no reason not to put Bonner on the block. If he didn't get action this playoffs with a zombie Horry out there, I don't see how Pop will ever trust him enough to use him.)

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Splitter is the sure thing. Mahinmi is less so, but with a much greater upside.

Presented with both, Pop would naturally go with Splitter unless he sucked hard. Without Splitter next season, Pop will be forced to give Mahinmi PT. Just like Tony and just like Jack.

K-State Spur
05-31-2008, 08:32 PM
I hope Pop doesn't pull a Beno on Ian.

What's pulling a Beno?

Giving him every opportunity to secure the job 2 out of his 3 years with the team?

Pop's always going to be hard on rookies. But for some reason, there is a myth on this board that Pop didn't give Beno a chance, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Mahinmi doesn't strike me as a Beno.

Spurs Brazil
05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
I agree with MB and timvp, Splitter would be better in the next 2 season, I think if he come to San Antonio he can even start.

But in the long run I thin Ian will be better. The guy is so young and has a lot of athleticism and learned a lot in Austin. I really hope we see him playing 20 minutes next season.

mikekim
05-31-2008, 08:45 PM
What's pulling a Beno?

Giving him every opportunity to secure the job 2 out of his 3 years with the team?

Pop's always going to be hard on rookies. But for some reason, there is a myth on this board that Pop didn't give Beno a chance, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Okay, I phrased it wrong. I meant that I hope Pop's coaching doesn't have the same effect on Ian as it did on Beno.

But I said I doubted it...because Beno's pansiness-level was off the charts.

I hate Beno just as much as the next Spurs fan. (Well I guess except for those who like him...umm...yeah. Well, I don't really hate Beno. I just hated being constantly disappointed by him.)

jag
05-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Okay, I phrased it wrong. I meant that I hope Pop's coaching doesn't have the same effect on Ian as it did on Beno.

But I said I doubted it...because Beno's pansiness-level was off the charts.

I hate Beno just as much as the next Spurs fan. (Well I guess except for those who like him...umm...yeah. Well, I don't really hate Beno. I just hated being constantly disappointed by him.)

I could never figure out what the hell was wrong with Beno. I think it was a combination of him being a vag and pop not really knowing how to handle him. His confidence after the Detroit series was completely destroyed. The thing that really sucks is that he's a guy that could have been the perfect backup for Tony.

Indazone
05-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Mahinmi has astounding PER numbers. Even better than Landry in the preseason. Had he played this year I think he would have been contending with the top 5 rookies. Too bad Pop relegated him to the D-League. For my money had I been the GM I would have sent Bonner down and brought Mahinmi up.

objective
05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't care if he sucks for the first three months next year, he has to get his 15-20 minutes per game. At worst, the Spurs need to figure out ASAP what they have. Burying him at the end of the bench for another year would be a mistake, IMO.

Which is why I think the Spurs must not re-sign Kurt Thomas.

If the Spurs re-signed him, he would be far too great a temptation to Pop as Mahinmi made his normal youthful mistakes on the court.

I doubt Pop could let an experienced vet who could contribute in the short-term sit on a bench while Mahinmi missed rotations or made a poor decision. That option has to be taken away from him. That's the only scenario I see where Mahinmi could get even close to 20 minutes a game.

jag
05-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Marcus Bryant brought up pop playing Tony as a rookie.. and how maybe that same type of trust could exist with Mahinmi. The only problem i have with that, is that Pop didn't have another option, Antonio Daniels couldn't handle the point any better than Damon Stoudamire can handle the point now...Pop had to trust tony and him being so tough on the rookie was what helped him develop.

Either way, Pop has other options if Mahinmi pisses him off (regardless of whether Splitter comes). When Tony pissed him off, he let him have it on the sidelines, if Mahinmi does something stupid...he might find a seat on the bench for the rest of the game.

Tony needed those quality minutes to develop and I'm just worried that Mahinmi wont see those type of minutes...

boutons_
05-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Ian must learn how to stay in the floor by not fouling.

ElNono
05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Both Ian and Splitter would struggle at the very least for half a season, most likely more, for things entirely out of their control. Things like not knowing their rivals, learning our system fully, getting to know the officials, getting called for 'rookie' fouls...

I think Pop would give both some limited time to get their feet wet, but I don't think either of them are ready to contribute right now in a meaningful way.
Hope I'm wrong!

Cant_Be_Faded
05-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Im praying to the basketball gods Mahinmi can play good defense, rebound, and hustle. If he can do those things, Tpark will have his jersey before the 3rd game of the season.

Harry Callahan
05-31-2008, 10:53 PM
What's pulling a Beno?

You are correct, sir. Patience was exercised with him, and it didn't work out. Beno has NBA talent, but between the ears he lacks something.

I wonder where beno will land as an unrestricted FA? Buyer beware.

exstatic
05-31-2008, 11:00 PM
You are correct, sir. Patience was exercised with him, and it didn't work out. Beno has NBA talent, but between the legs he lacks something.

FIFY

Spurs da champs
05-31-2008, 11:04 PM
This guy looks like he can be a force,Hopefully he'll develop and be ready soon.

E20
05-31-2008, 11:05 PM

FREE IAN MAHINMI.

Looks like Dwight Howard in that picture.

mikeanthony21
05-31-2008, 11:12 PM
>>But then again, I highly doubt Ian is as big of a pansy as Beno.

Just keep him away from Graham Central Station.

T Park
05-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Im praying to the basketball gods Mahinmi can play good defense, rebound, and hustle. If he can do those things, Tpark will have his jersey before the 3rd game of the season.

Who says I don't already have it?

SpurOutofTownFan
06-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah, Mahinmi definitely has a higher ceiling than Splitter. The nice thing about Splitter is he was a plug-n-play option. In fact, Splitter is probably more ready for the NBA than Oberto was when Oberto first came over. However, like Oberto, Splitter doesn't have huge potential. Splitter basically could top out as an average to a slightly above average center.

Mahinmi, on the other hand, is much more of a wild card. He's not ready right now but I think the Spurs have to force him to be ready. As Duncan ages, there will come a time where he can't be counted on to clean up every mistake as the other bigman on the court for the Spurs watches. That's where Mahinmi's athleticism could really come into play.

Mahinmi could either bust out of the league and be back in Europe in two years or he could be the missing piece in the middle that has been empty since Robinson retired. I think it's 50/50 either way right now.

Summer league will be an important time. Pop believing in him early on and giving him playing time will also be vital. I don't care if he sucks for the first three months next year, he has to get his 15-20 minutes per game. At worst, the Spurs need to figure out ASAP what they have. Burying him at the end of the bench for another year would be a mistake, IMO. Splitter would have been nice because he would have been able to come in and start and give Mahinmi time to grow. It looks like the Spurs don't have that luxury so it'll be time to let Mahnimi sink or swim to begin next season.

With Splitter likely staying in Europe theres no reason why Ian sholdn't be accepted in the roster this coming season. Its true he looks a little fragile for that position but that shouldn't be a problem with the right training. It's time for bold movements and this one is a no-brainer.

Tyler_Durden
06-01-2008, 01:37 AM
I remember being excited about Ian Mahinmi three years ago.

Borosai
06-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Ian Mahinmi!

angelbelow
06-01-2008, 01:41 AM
i think were all hoping he becomes the next "TP" or "manu". if this guy becomes an allstar the spurs FO will look like genius once again.

Blackjack
06-01-2008, 02:09 AM
From what I've see of Mahinmi, he should be able contribute next year. He's aggressive, athletic, has decent hands, and a hard worker.

All the attention Tim attracts offensively should allow Ian to use his athleticism on the offensive glass for rebounds, put-backs, and backdoor cuts. With Tim next to him defensively, he should be able to be a fairly good weak-side shot-blocker.

Manu and Tony will love Ian, if for no other reason, they'll have someone who can finish strong at the rim with their pick and rolls/penetration and on the break. I can already see them doing their own poor-mans version of Nash to Stoudemire, or Paul to Chandler.

He'll have his up and downs like any other young player, but playing with the Big 3(and all the attention they attract) will make life alot easier on him and his progression. Hopefully he'll be able to carve out a role ala Amir Johnson in Detroit.

Spurtacus
06-01-2008, 03:23 AM
He's ready. Bring him in! I hope the Spurs can lure Splitter too.

Duncan, Splitter, Mahinmi, Oberto. Nice.

angelbelow
06-01-2008, 04:39 AM
i hope mahinmi turns into a 20point 15 rebound 4 blocks a night player.

boutons_
06-01-2008, 06:48 AM
He has been fouling way too much and losing significant game time. Oberto-ish

bigdog
06-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Fuck Splitter.

Mahinmi would be a much better fit. He might be fouling alot, but that's also one of the reasons he needs to play in the NBA, and not the D-League. He needs to learn how the NBA refs call fouls in the big league. We can't afford to have him back in Austin next year playing against the talent of minor league teams. We need him to be in the NBA, whether it be in limited minutes, or he could show he is worth some more time in the summer league and training camp.

Emeyin
06-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Bring it.. it's time to see what the Spurs have. We need some big guns for next year.

picnroll
06-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Spurs need another big impact player. Splitter could be a good role player but Mahinmi has more potential to be a big impact player. Pop has to roll the dice and force feed him, hope he blows up by the end of the season.

djohn14
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Spurs need another big impact player. Splitter could be a good role player but Mahinmi has more potential to be a big impact player. Pop has to roll the dice and force feed him, hope he blows up by the end of the season.I agree with most of this. Splitter would be better then a role player, but by no means an all star. But yes, Mahinmi has massive potential. Athletic big men are hard to come by. Plus he is a good free throw shooter!

T Park
06-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Splitter's benefits were on the defensive end, and on the offensive end when Duncan was sitting down.

Splitter is the perfect matchup against the Lakers and Hornets.

Alas, that will never happen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-01-2008, 12:14 PM
I have full trust in Ian that he will be in the rotation next year and won't disappoint. Mark my words.

SenorSpur
06-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Which is why I think the Spurs must not re-sign Kurt Thomas.

If the Spurs re-signed him, he would be far too great a temptation to Pop as Mahinmi made his normal youthful mistakes on the court.

I doubt Pop could let an experienced vet who could contribute in the short-term sit on a bench while Mahinmi missed rotations or made a poor decision. That option has to be taken away from him. That's the only scenario I see where Mahinmi could get even close to 20 minutes a game.

On the contrary, the Spurs DO need to resign Thomas. Ian can learn a lot from both him and Duncan. Meanwhile, if Horry wants to caoch - that's fine. He has a lot of professional knowledge that needs to be transferred to younger players. He just cannot come back as a player.

GrandeDavid
06-01-2008, 12:18 PM

I agree. He needs to be thrown to the fire now. Its not like Tony, where Tony was thrown in as a starter his rookie season as a 19 year old. Mahinmi will also have fellow Frenchman, Parker, there for support as well. I think he must play. Pop must have patience and not rip him when he screws up. Let the guy blunder some in early season games, its the only way he'll improve. Now is the time.

leemajors
06-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Ian must learn how to stay in the floor by not fouling.

:tu

that will be the hardest thing for him.

Bruno
06-01-2008, 12:40 PM
There was a quite nice article on Mahinmi in a french newspaper ten days ago. It shows well Mahinmi's attitude.

Mahinmi, from the bench

He plays his games three hours before other. Without an attendance and with, as only misery companions, “not activated” Spurs' players. Beaten in the D-League Final by Idaho Stampede, Ian Mahinmi has shown some enthusiastic improvements (18,2 points, 10,7 rebounds and 3,5 blocks in play-offs) during his first year in America. While it wasn't enough to give Austin its first D-League title, it was well enough to convince Spurs FO about choices made : his selection with teh 28th pick of the 2005 draft and his learning in Austin. No promise has been made but the young French bigman hopes to make it the next season in San Antonio. “We must speak about it, but I' m rather trustful on the fact that I did what I had to do this season in D-League, explained Mahinmi. This year was really a positive one. I am ready to play in NBA. ”
The training continues during these playoffs. Mahinmi isn't among the twelve activated players. He sat behind the bench with Damon Stoudamire and Matt Bonner, he looks at his teammates fighting without him. “I am in the group during the shootaround, said Mahinmi before laughing about his particular status. We are always together. But, when we go back in the locker room before the game, it ends. They put the jersey and you put the suit. That kills a little the group thing.”
While waiting he plays the sponge, soaking up all that he can soak up : the pressure of the playoffs,players' preparation, their concentration and the famous tactical meetings with Gregg Popovich… “I even sit in the first row. And it's not because I'm an eager beaver. When I come in the room, the old ones are already sat behind. But it is great. I learn so much: tactics, video sessions, the adjustments of the coach, it is so precise.”

Spur-Addict
06-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Ian drags his feet and bodies up alot. These are things that can be changed, he just has to harness his eagerness overall.

djohn14
06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Ian drags his feet and bodies up alot. These are things that can be changed, he just has to harness his eagerness overall.No, read Brunos article. Even he says he's not an eager beaver haha. Seriously though, he will be on our summer league roster right?

Spur-Addict
06-01-2008, 03:50 PM
No, read Brunos article. Even he says he's not an eager beaver haha. Seriously though, he will be on our summer league roster right?

I believe his eagerness is based on who he's playing, which is bad I know. I saw some film of him and Tim in practice. He was certainly eager then. I'd be a little disappointed if they sent me to the kids table for dinner as well.

timvp
06-01-2008, 03:50 PM
There was a quite nice article on Mahinmi in a french newspaper ten days ago. It shows well Mahinmi's attitude.Good article :tu

Mahinmi has always had the right attitude, which is an important part of this process. Everything about his personality, dedication and work ethic checks out and gives me hope.

While obviously it'd be nice to bring him along slowly, it appears that may no longer be an option. But perhaps this will be a blessing in disguise. If Splitter comes, Mahinmi wouldn't get any minutes. In fact, Mahinmi would have to spend another year in the D-League ... which it sounds like he wouldn't enjoy.

Mahinmi never wavered in coming to the NBA. He wanted to come over ASAP ... and even took the least amount of money possible to come over. Mahinmi hid out before the 2005 draft to make sure he'd be a Spur and he's done everything the Spurs have asked. Splitter reneged on his word and seems like he'd be fine with never coming to the NBA.

If Mahinmi becomes a useful part of the rotation, Splitter being a liar would have worked out nicely.

objective
06-02-2008, 04:07 PM
On the contrary, the Spurs DO need to resign Thomas. Ian can learn a lot from both him and Duncan. Meanwhile, if Horry wants to caoch - that's fine. He has a lot of professional knowledge that needs to be transferred to younger players. He just cannot come back as a player.

Disagree.

If the Spurs want him to really learn a lot, bring Roy Rogers over as an assistant coach for the big men, or draft David Robinson into tutoring him like Abdul-Jabbar in LA or Sikma in Seattle. Convince Robinson to be pro-active in his investment. As far as learning from other players, playing with Duncan should be enough, and for little tricks playing with Oberto should be enough.

If Thomas is re-signed all Mahinmi will learn is how to wave a towel like Bonner while he sits game in and game out because Pop will go with the experienced savvy vet over some green near-rookie.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Mahinmi = Beast

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2008, 05:32 PM
No way. Splitter's still a part of the plan.

I tend to agree with you that the Spurs won't deal his rights this summer but the harsh reality of the situation is that the dollar/euro debacle and increased salaries in Europe may have taken the Spurs out of Splitters plans for good.

I think every GM in the league looked at this Splitter/Tau deal and had to rethink everything...and really wonder if the rookie scale is not going to come back and bite the NBA in the ass.

#1, I think the Europlayer craze is officially over. A GM would be nuts to waste a first round pick on a Euro. That includes the Spurs.

#2, Unless they fix this soon, I could actually visualize a USFL/NFL scenario where Euro league teams start outbidding the NBA on top US draft picks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 05:33 PM
If Mahinmi is better than what I think right now, then he'll be starting next year.

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Let me give you a scenario.

Obama DOES get elected this fall and with a Democratic congress pushes through the taxes on the "rich" they have been salivating over for years...lets hypothetically say the kick them from 40% to 60%...by definition, basketball players are "rich"

Lets say that the dollar drops another 10% against the Euro...

It is VERY conceivable that a talent like Le Bron James could come through and his after tax net on a rookie contract would be a little over $700,000 a year.

Lets say Minnesota gets the top pick next year...

A Euro team could very easily come in and offer him the equivalent of a 10-15 million a year AFTER TAX contract for whatever term they want...

I can just imagine THAT conversation..."you can go play on a SHITTY team for $700,000 a year in fucking MINNESOTA and freeze your ass off in a shitty town with a shitty economy or you can move to a cosmopolitan European capital on an established championship caliber team and make 20 times what they are offering you..."

Oh Yeah, did I tell you about all the hot pussy we have over here?

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Mahimni = beast

picnroll
06-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Mahinmi's nuts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Splitter's nuts.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Mahimni = GOAT

Thompson
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Mahimni = beast

Is he going to put on any more muscle in the offseason? About 25-30 pounds and he'd be near Duncan's weight. It'd be nice to see him fill out like the next DRob. While we're at it, is he any taller? I think he's around 6'11".

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
he is 6'10" 230 lbs

SenorSpur
06-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Spurs need another big impact player. Splitter could be a good role player but Mahinmi has more potential to be a big impact player. Pop has to roll the dice and force feed him, hope he blows up by the end of the season.

Agree. Pop is gonna half to force feed this kid minutes and live with the result, just like he did with Tony.

remingtonbo2001
06-02-2008, 06:16 PM
240 lbs would be ideal.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:20 PM
240 lbs would be ideal.

he has plenty of time this offseason to make 240

GrandeDavid
06-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Looks like Dwight Howard in that picture.

Less the physical stature. :lol

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Mahimni > Dwight

wildbill2u
06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
NFL teams often put their rookie qbs out there on the field to get real game experience. at least Mahimi wouldn't be getting tackled by 300 lb. behemoths trying to take his head off.

So what if he fouls out. He's got six fouls worth of experience--and maybe he intimidates the shit out of some folks coming into his turf.

Let him play and learn.

smrattler
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM

It is VERY conceivable that a talent like Le Bron James could come through and his after tax net on a rookie contract would be a little over $700,000 a year.

A Euro team could very easily come in and offer him the equivalent of a 10-15 million a year AFTER TAX contract for whatever term they want...

I can just imagine THAT conversation..."you can go play on a SHITTY team for $700,000 a year in fucking MINNESOTA and freeze your ass off in a shitty town with a shitty economy or you can move to a cosmopolitan European capital on an established championship caliber team and make 20 times what they are offering you..."

Oh Yeah, did I tell you about all the hot pussy we have over here?

You made ME want to move to Europe now.

Marcus Bryant
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Problem is, there's no one in Europe making anything close to that kind of salary. And long-term contracts are non-existent in the Euroleagues. And then there's the matter of endorsement $, which is how the LeBrons and Kobes make their real $.

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Mahimni > Dwight

i dont doubt it. :flag:

MoSpur
06-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I hope all this hype isn't for nothing. I really want this guy to workout for the Spurs.

SPURSGOAT
06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
"Mahinmi has the potential to be an All-Star," :wow

Man if we could manage to land Diop to go along with Mahinmi... we will be set...:downspin::hat

MoSpur
06-04-2008, 11:11 AM
"Mahinmi has the potential to be an All-Star," :wow

Man if we could manage to land Diop to go along with Mahinmi... we will be set...:downspin::hat

Not a bad idea.

StoneBuddha
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Diop is even more offensively limited than Oberto. I dont think the defense was a problem.

The Truth #6
06-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Diop isn't going to solve any of our problems. I don't understand the fascination with him. As others have stated, he would probably just takes minutes from Ian. I'd rather have Kurt for another year and try to develop Ian and possibly another young big before taking on Diop. Money for Diop should be used on a wing player instead. Azub, Matt Barnes, Pietrus, JR Smith, even Artest, should all be on our radar before Diop.

spursfan98
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Mahimni will be an all star someday. He's so fun to watch and he loves to flush it down the rim every chance he gets

lotr1trekkie
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I't time for Timmy to play more center. True centers are hard to find. Mahimni might find playing PF an easier adaption. Regardless we need a #2 who can allow Manu to rest more. At times Pop was watching to clock to see how fast Manu could enter the game

spursfan98
06-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I't time for Timmy to play more center. True centers are hard to find. Mahimni might find playing PF an easier adaption. Regardless we need a #2 who can allow Manu to rest more. At times Pop was watching to clock to see how fast Manu could enter the game

Then timmy wont make the all star game or at least start. :depressed

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Diop isn't going to solve any of our problems. I don't understand the fascination with him. As others have stated, he would probably just takes minutes from Ian. I'd rather have Kurt for another year and try to develop Ian and possibly another young big before taking on Diop. Money for Diop should be used on a wing player instead. Azub, Matt Barnes, Pietrus, JR Smith, even Artest, should all be on our radar before Diop.

i think just the fact that diop will be an instant upgrade over our current centers (kurt, obie) makes him a valuable addition. plus who can forget his D on duncan, if he can duplicate other great defensive performances on other centers/pf, it would do us wonders as well.

timvp
06-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Jesse : Everyone has done a great job looking at the draft, but what about prospects drafted the past two years...have you seen anyone ready to take a step up? Have you seen Ian Mahinnini from the Spurs?

David Thorpe: Yes, he has a chance to be a solid rotation guy.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 02:49 PM
:smokin

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Solid rotation guy is all you need for next year :smokin

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
That is why I think pairing Hibbert with Ian would be nice, only if we can get a guy like J.R. though.

AA2120
06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
i saw him play down here in the RGV..it was the first home game for the vipers and i was impressed with what i saw..he's got a long wingspan...and was the best player in the building

MoSpur
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I know this is probably going to be a yes, but is he playing in the Summer League again? I know its a yes, but just want confirmation.

Tully365
06-25-2008, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=CosmicCowboy;2571872]Let me give you a scenario.

Obama DOES get elected this fall and with a Democratic congress pushes through the taxes on the "rich" they have been salivating over for years...lets hypothetically say the kick them from 40% to 60%...by definition, basketball players are "rich"

Oh Yeah, did I tell you about all the hot pussy we have over here?[/QUOTE

From espn.com:

"Brandon Jennings, who signed a letter of intent to play at Arizona, is looking at the unprecedented option of playing overseas next season to get ready for the 2009 NBA draft if he's not eligible to play for the Wildcats next season.

Jennings told ESPN.com that he is exploring the possibility of a professional basketball career. Jennings' mother, Alice Knox, has retained an attorney, Jeffrey Valle, to help look into the possibility that Jennings could play professionally in Europe while he waits to become eligible for the 2009 NBA draft."

I think it's inevitable that this will happen more in the upcoming years.

taps
06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
^ (Cosmic Cowboy quote) Don't most Western European countries have highly socialized systems of taxation? (France, England, Scandinavia) If this immense commu/socialization does happen overnight if Obama is elected (see: not going to happen overnight, there will be temperance => my 2¢) then I think that would just put us on par with Euro tax systems IMO. That doesn't answer the Euro/dollar disparity, just a little contextualization for the GOP fear that Democrats will ruin professional sports.

T Park
06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
^ (Cosmic Cowboy quote) Don't most Western European countries have highly socialized systems of taxation? (France, England, Scandinavia) If this immense commu/socialization does happen overnight if Obama is elected (see: not going to happen overnight, there will be temperance => my 2¢) then I think that would just put us on par with Euro tax systems IMO. That doesn't answer the Euro/dollar disparity, just a little contextualization for the GOP fear that Democrats will ruin professional sports.

Good lord.

Spur-Addict
06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=CosmicCowboy;2571872]Let me give you a scenario.

Oh Yeah, did I tell you about all the hot pussy we have over here?[/QUOTE

From espn.com:

"Brandon Jennings, who signed a letter of intent to play at Arizona, is looking at the unprecedented option of playing overseas next season to get ready for the 2009 NBA draft if he's not eligible to play for the Wildcats next season.

Jennings told ESPN.com that he is exploring the possibility of a professional basketball career. Jennings' mother, Alice Knox, has retained an attorney, Jeffrey Valle, to help look into the possibility that Jennings could play professionally in Europe while he waits to become eligible for the 2009 NBA draft."

I think it's inevitable that this will happen more in the upcoming years.

:lmao

Nbadan
06-25-2008, 06:54 PM

:lmao

T Park
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
The fear is the democrats are gonna turn us into communist russia fuckheads.

Nbadan
06-25-2008, 07:08 PM
The U.S. has one of the lowest overall tax rates in the free world....chew on that!

taps
06-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Rick Perry for president!

timvp
06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
The Spurs skipping over a number of very solid bigman prospects is a good sign for Mahinmi. If they thought Mahinmi was a bust, going with someone like Jordan, Arthur or Hendrix would have made a lot of sense.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-27-2008, 09:53 AM
the dollar isn't worth anything because we have added $4 trillion in debt over the last eight years and continually run up huge budget deficits. Getting out of Iraq and getting rid of the bush tax cuts (5% not 20% CosmicCowboy) for the wealthy would help the dollar regain strength. Currency fluctuation is based on perception now, getting the US house of cards in order would help that

RobinsontoDuncan
06-27-2008, 09:54 AM
The Spurs skipping over a number of very solid bigman prospects is a good sign for Mahinmi. If they thought Mahinmi was a bust, going with someone like Jordan, Arthur or Hendrix would have made a lot of sense.

do you think that's why they passed on green? i think hill would have been available at 45, or they could have moved up fairly easily i think

hater
06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
oh I have no doubt Ian is gonna be impact from the start.

Russ
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM

The Spurs FO can shuck and jive about getting the man they really wanted and being shocked that so-and-so was available at wherever.

But the Spurs' management know that this is D Dday -- this year both Mahinmi and Hill need to contribute to some extent with the varisty or else the Spurs could be in trouble. If so, the reason will also be hard to mask -- both of those picks were considered big-time reaches at the time they were made. Pretty much no one had erither of those guys going in the first round in either of those drafts. That said, I think both will contribute enough to at least put the team in position to win if they make the right moves over the rest of the summer.

lrrr
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Having never watched college ball or D-league, what is the quality of the two in comparison? How would Ian have performed against NCAA competition, and if he was drafted in this draft, where would he have gone?

I agree that the FO must be quite high on him since they didn't see "mobile big man" as a high priority in this years draft, even though it has been a gaping hole for a while, and the last two 1st round picks (before this draft) were used on athletic bigs.

Thomas82
06-27-2008, 09:59 PM
The Spurs FO can shuck and jive about getting the man they really wanted and being shocked that so-and-so was available at wherever.

But the Spurs' management know that this is D Dday -- this year both Mahinmi and Hill need to contribute to some extent with the varisty or else the Spurs could be in trouble. If so, the reason will also be hard to mask -- both of those picks were considered big-time reaches at the time they were made. Pretty much no one had erither of those guys going in the first round in either of those drafts. That said, I think both will contribute enough to at least put the team in position to win if they make the right moves over the rest of the summer.

Well said.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 10:03 PM

The draft, IMO, didn't help nearly as much as it could. I felt they needed more than simply a dedicated bench player, which is all they essentially got (whatever H. or G. get to be is gravy), and Mahinmi is still perhaps a year away. The FA period has gotten more vital due to a middling draft and there doesn't seem to be much on the market. Trades will be hard to do with few assets, if any.

You're right. They need Mahinmi and Hill to be rotation guys pretty much by the mid-point of the season and maybe even Gist or Hairston to start getting minutes, too.

angelbelow
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM

didnt think about it that way, that does make more sense.

Tbam327
06-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I Was hoping he would have played this year with spurs...but of course POP once again doesnt know how to coach rookies and pawend him off to someone else. I think he would have made a big difference for us it would have been like a young dave and vet Tim oppiste of when tim came into the league. Mahinmi probably wont play for spurs hes to young and willing to take chances.

wildbill2u
06-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Time to bring him up and let him get his 6 fouls a game. Let's see if he's got game.

DMX7
06-28-2008, 02:58 AM
I think he can contribute 8, 5, and 1 a night next season.

I think he could too but I don't think he will. He could get in the doghouse Matt Bonner style real quick and end up not even playing for 10-15 games stretches.

As good as he can become, he still is very raw. I watched play for the Toros on the internet during the playoffs and he is super talented but almost lacks cordination (a clear sign of someone who still needs work on his game).

rj215
06-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Is it definite that Ian will join the regular rotation next year or at least get a legit shot at joining? Did Pop or RC mention that. I hope that 3 years of grooming is enough to get this guy at least 10-15 minutes per game. I think he could give us more than Ellison did in his first year alone.

mrspurs
06-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah, Mahinmi definitely has a higher ceiling than Splitter. The nice thing about Splitter is he was a plug-n-play option. In fact, Splitter is probably more ready for the NBA than Oberto was when Oberto first came over. However, like Oberto, Splitter doesn't have huge potential. Splitter basically could top out as an average to a slightly above average center.

agreed with the 50/50...and might i add, if he is as good as some eastern conf. somebody said.......then my question is this... While in uniform this past season, why didnt he get some meaningful minutes?

tav1
06-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Is it definite that Ian will join the regular rotation next year or at least get a legit shot at joining? Did Pop or RC mention that. I hope that 3 years of grooming is enough to get this guy at least 10-15 minutes per game. I think he could give us more than Ellison did in his first year alone.

two years of grooming and it was *Elson*

bobbybob0
06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
agreed with the 50/50...and might i add, if he is as good as some eastern conf. somebody said.......then my question is this... While in uniform this past season, why didnt he get some meaningful minutes?

It was too easy for Pop to rely on old dogs like Horry and Thomas rather than develop Ian and accept the mistakes he would have made along the way.

That's why Horry has to go this year or Pop will still play him in front of Ian even if he's shooting at 20%.

Indazone
06-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Mahnimi should be eased into the rotation taking away minutes from Oberto. Imagine Mahinmi and Duncan on the court together. The athleticism of Mahinmi completely dwarfs Oberto.

Anti.Hero
06-28-2008, 01:56 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

:lol:lol:lol:lol

mrspurs
06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
It was too easy for Pop to rely on old dogs like Horry and Thomas rather than develop Ian and accept the mistakes he would have made along the way.

That's why Horry has to go this year or Pop will still play him in front of Ian even if he's shooting at 20%.

so its better to wait for this coming season to watch ian's mistakes?...such a waste of time if you ask me....and who knows maybe even a championship...oh well...thanks for your answer

nfg3
06-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Ian's time is now. Time in the D-league is over. He needs the minutes to develop and the Spurs must give him that chance, regardless of his mistakes. He is going to make them but that is part of the maturation process he has to go through in order to play in this league. Tony got his so I hope Ian get his, too. But as already stated Pop really didn't have a choice but to play Tony but he does with Ian.

Ian needs to impress in the summer league and learn to stay on the court by not fouling in order to get that chance. It's up to him to make it happen. Make it so.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I want to be yelling "Mahinmi!" next season. Maybe Sir Charles will throw me an assist.

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with everybody that says he needs to play next year..definitely..he brings a young, athletic big man to our team, something we desperately need..

I don't care how raw he is, the only way he'll develop is he gets significant minutes..he isn't gonna need to do much playing with our big 3 and a smart team..he just needs to come in and use his athleticism wisely..

wildbill2u
06-30-2008, 09:58 AM
He needed the playing time in the D league and since they run the Spurs system, he got a lot of coaching that will help him adjust to the Spurs roster. From all the reports by Chump Dumper, he pretty much dominated his opposition when he wasn't injured.

It's time. Get it on.

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
this guy can dominate dleague, but cant even dominate in french league??

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Another one of the great myths on this board is that Pop is unwilling to play the young guys.

Now, he hasn't had many of them in recent years. But when he's had LEGITIMATE young NBA talent, he's given in PT. i.e. tony parker - 30 mpg @ age 19, SJax - 28 mpg @ 24, Beno - 15 mpg @ 22, Speedy - 16 mpg @ 24.

Mahinmi has now done the 1 year of going through training camp and being indoctrinated into the Spurs system and way of doing things. There is no reason to assume that Pop will shy away from playing him simply because of age/inexperience (now, if he comes in and completely sucks and fails to learn from his mistakes, that's a different story).

The same goes for Hill since he is a guy that was obviously specifically targeted by the Spurs early on.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 10:30 AM
For those who think the Spurs need youth, athleticism, and length in the rotation, they will be adding at least two players with those qualities next season. Perhaps three after they dip into the free agent pool.

A.H 21-50
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM

it's not that he can't dominate in french league ;)
the story is different

he started his carreer with Le Havre in 2003-2004 he played only in three games but was 17 at the time

in 2004-2005 he played 17 minute per game and averaged 6.4 pts 4.1 rebounds 0.6 blocks

in 2005-2006 during his last season with le havre he played 19 minutes and averaged 9.6 pts 5 rebounds and one block per game wich was not bad for a young player (19 years old at the time)

then he went to pau a contender but things didn't went well as the team struggled and there was a lot of problems with the staff , the coach ...
despite the team's problems and a little playing time (13 min 4.3 PTS 3.2 REBOUNDs O.7 block per game) he shows some flashes at the end of the season particularly a 21 pts game along with 7 rbs 8/8 shooting in 22 minutes against dijon or a 17 pts 12 rbs against gravelines in french cup

a lot of people were septic about mahinmi when he came to the nba but what he did in austin may prove he'll not be a bust
i hope he'll gain some playing time and bring his athletism to the team

2centsworth
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
from the little I saw from him in the NBA, he looked like he had a nice touch around the bucket, was an agressive rebounder, and was active. He just didn't seem to have the best of rythm. It's a lot to ask for this guy to contribute all that much this year, but who knows. SJAX went from nothing to something in just 12 months.

timaios
06-30-2008, 02:41 PM

french league >>>> dleague

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I would give it only two >

Indazone
06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I am making a bold prediction on Ian Mahinmi. He will be a star in this league. He's going to continue to dominate in the paint and average an efficiency rating up in the 20's.

Tully365
06-30-2008, 04:29 PM
If Mahinmi and Hill can both earn 10-15 minutes a game this season, the Spurs will be in great shape. After doing a great job of drafting Scola & Splitter but losing out on them due to a combination of bad luck/mismanagement, they're overdue for some good fortune. I still have great faith in the ability of this team to scout & evaluate talent.

By the way, was anyone else anxious around picks, 36, 37, 38, praying the Spurs might land CDR in round 2? CDR will teach future players a valuable lesson about taking the draft for granted-- he refused to work out for Detroit because he was sure he'd be gone by then.....I wonder if the Spurs & Hornets were able to work him out?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I am making a bold prediction on Ian Mahinmi. He will be a star in this league. He's going to continue to dominate in the paint and average an efficiency rating up in the 20's.

I agree, but I don't think we'll see allstar Mahinmi until Duncan's time is near the end.

rj215
06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree, but I don't think we'll see allstar Mahinmi until Duncan's time is near the end.

He'll get better because he seems to have real skills (soft touch around the basket, some defensive prowess and rebounding instincts) and he'll have Duncan to help develop him just like D.Rob did for him.

waly.mg
06-30-2008, 06:09 PM

FREE IAN MAHINMI.

What´s the FK

He is wearing the Karl Malone´s Number

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
What´s the FK

He is wearing the Karl Malone´s NumberI seem to remember someone else wearing that number too.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I seem to remember someone else wearing that number too.

I thought he was making a joke.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I never know anymore. Maybe I was too.

usckk
06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
hahaha.

waly.mg
i only want that:

A player then Pop and RC drafted and who finally play with the Spurs in great shape

The Last Player was Manu, before him only players who played well .......................... as Victory Human Cigar

Magic_Johnson
What´s the FK

He is wearing the Karl Malone´s Number

http://www.lakersuniverse.com/pictures/magic_handling_ball.jpg

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
I never know anymore. Maybe I was too.
I just thought you were calling him out for forgetting about Elliott.

waly.mg
06-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Magic was before Karl Malone

BeFore Karl Malone, there´s no one #32 Champion

Oh yes, Thank God ..................

The 32 Numers is retired in the Spurs

And So, what´s the reason of the #32 of Mahinmi?

200 miles
06-30-2008, 08:22 PM
If Ian gained 20 pounds of muscle, would it help (as in having the potential to be a Dwight Howard-type) or hinder him?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 08:28 PM
If Ian gained 20 pounds of muscle, would it help (as in having the potential to be a Dwight Howard-type) or hinder him?

Definitely help him. It might affect his jumpshot, but then again he won't have to use it as much as he did in Austin than in San Antonio. It would help him the most because of his rebounding. As much as he scored and blocked, his rebounding was one of his weak points in the D-League. If he bulks up and starts tearing it up in the rebounds category, we officially got a gem on our hands.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Magic was before Karl Malone

BeFore Karl Malone, there´s no one #32 Champion

Oh yes, Thank God ..................

The 32 Numers is retired in the Spurs

And So, what´s the reason of the #32 of Mahinmi?

It's just his Toros number. What's wrong with it?

200 miles
06-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Definitely help him. It might affect his jumpshot, but then again he won't have to use it as much as he did in Austin than in San Antonio. It would help him the most because of his rebounding. As much as he scored and blocked, his rebounding was one of his weak points in the D-League. If he bulks up and starts tearing it up in the rebounds category, we officially got a gem on our hands.

:tu

John_C
06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Let's just hope Pop lets him get sufficient minutes early on the season. Let him commit mistakes and blunders while it is early, and gain experience from them. Nothing is more demoralizing than a player committing blunders, and be benched for it, instead of being given sufficient time to learn and make up for those mistakes.

He also may need to bulk up, seeing that he may soon bang bodies against Shaq and Bynum.

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 12:42 AM
For those who think the Spurs need youth, athleticism, and length in the rotation, they will be adding at least two players with those qualities next season. Perhaps three after they dip into the free agent pool.

I hope Mahinmi is in the rotation!

objective
07-01-2008, 12:50 AM
I've re-watched some of the Toros full games on the NBA video site, though his best performances really aren't on there.

Man, those guards seemed incompetent when it came to feeding the post or getting him the ball when he flashed to the basket wide open. With some of the things he can do I'm sure he'll get a number of easy baskets a game just by the other Spurs not being as selfish as D-League players and making the right pass to him. Plus he really is fast up and down the court, I'd venture a guess that he might be faster than Elson in a 3/4 time measurement.

Overall I was impressed by how he was able to score from the looks of it with both hands, unless my eyes were deceiving me. And his shot out to about 17 feet looked good.

Defensively around January he still looked pretty clueless or uncommitted though he did come up with some monster blocks. Seemed out of position for a lot of rebounds.

But by the Finals even though he was hurt he looked better defensively.

He's still going to need some more muscle though, he's too much in "Elson-land" and not enough in "Mr Robinson's Neighborhood" when it comes to being rocked up.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2009, 10:36 PM

FREE IAN MAHINMI.

bump.

slick'81
07-14-2009, 10:44 PM
ians oozing with talent, the thing is we really havent gotten to c it on the pro level with ne consistency .I dont want to get my hopes up too high but who the hell knows he could surprise the shit out of everyone and become a solid pro and maybe even a starter one day.

I am hoping for the best, hes hella young hopefully his best years are ahead of him

ElNono
07-14-2009, 11:08 PM
This thread is old

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Looked very good tonight, even with the clear rust..he's clearly got potential, and you can't teach his size and athleticism..

Sucks that he got called for at least 6 horrible foul calls, and wasn't getting the same treatment when he was on offense..

VivaPopovich
07-15-2009, 12:00 AM
i dont know who you think is denying him, but i always thought he had great potential since last season, and it pained me to see him sitting the sidelines the entire season

he just isnt getting the kind of attention blair is getting cause of the season mahinmi sat out. i want them both to succeed

jag
07-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Ian needs steady PT...he's not gonna grow as a player by having pop sit him on the bench.

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Ian will be a solid contributor with the Spurs.

Possibly more, but definitely solid.

xellos88330
07-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Ian definitely has a high ceiling. It is up to him to reach and surpass it. If he does, I hope the Spurs can lock him up with a good long deal.

barbacoataco
07-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Glad to see Mahinmi had a good game. If he develops along with Blair the Spurs have 2 young bigs to go along with Duncan and Dyess.

mystargtr34
07-15-2009, 01:58 AM
His upper body has really improved judging by that picture. If only he could strengthen his base without losing alot of athleticism.

Offensivle, his game doesnt require it because he's more of a face up guy, but it would really help his rebounding and boxing out.

angelbelow
07-15-2009, 01:59 AM
very active on the boards and ran the floor very well. nice to see him have a great game.

Spurm
07-15-2009, 02:48 AM
Mahinmi or whatever is a scrub

Knoxxx
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
"Mahinmi has the potential to be an All-Star," an Eastern Conference executive said. "He needs to get a little stronger, but he has the skill set to play inside and outside. I can see him being a very good player on a contending team." SI.com

I think is a pretty old quote, I remember seeing something like this prior to last season, the one Ian ended up sitting out. Ian had just put up some decent numbers with the Toros or whatever. Nobody has been making statements about Ian like this for a while, to my knowledge.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 10:40 AM
That quote came at the end of his successful season with the Toros in 2007-08. Then he was injured last season.

all_heart
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree that Ian needs playing time, the only way a player will learn and gain confidence. Being on the floor with the big 3 should him a lot. If all we get out of our bigs next year is better rebounding and a little D, it will be a major upgrade from last year. That should lead to more 2nd chance opportunities which equals 2nd chance points. We all know that an extra 8 points a game can be the difference between winning and losing. There is huge potential next year for the Spurs.. they can be so good that they will their own battle cry before a game.