PDA

View Full Version : I'll tell you why all the trading threads

SRJ
05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
I would have answered in the "Why all the trading threads?", but greens made it clear that certain types aren't welcome in that thread, so I'm not going to crash it with my opinion.

First of all, speaking as a Spurs fan for 26 years, I don't want to see any of our core leave the team. Seeing any of them in a different uniform would be bizarre. Trust me, I don't like the idea at all.

Having said that, there is another perspective from which to discuss the offseason. If you or I were in a position to make personnel decisions, we couldn't afford sentimentality to get in the way of winning. We would have to make tough decisions occasionally, some of which would doubtless be unpopular with the fanbase.

When you've got a once-in-a-generation player like Tim Duncan on your club, you've got to maximize your chances to win championships. The Spurs franchise squandered the peak of David Robinson's career and squandering Duncan's remaining high-level years would be a bigger slap in the face of fans than doling out loyalty seasons to as many popular players as possible. Tim is the one constant force behind those four banners - he deserves more from the FO than a farewell tour in his final years.

greens
05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
I do respect your analysis. I guess it really does come down to why certain Spurs fans like the Spurs in the first place.

For most fans, the majority fans, it's because they are from San Antonio. They feel a certain connection to the Spurs. They want them to win in order to represent the city of San Antonio.

I guess I'm a fan of a different breed. I live in LA. So for me, it's not about the location. It's only about this team as it stands now, with the core of Tim/Manu/Tony/Bruce. They are my reason for rooting for this team, for wanting this team to win. It's not about patriotism or anything like that. It's more about me liking their chemistry and the way they conduct and relate to each other. I like how they aren't selfish, like the Lakers are.

So for me, honestly, to trade one of the core four, would make me not root for the team because they are my reason for rooting for the Spurs. Obviously, Bruce will retire in about 2 years maybe. I'll still root for Manu/Tim/Tony. But it would really change my opinion of the Spurs if one of the three are traded or not signed for a contract extension if they want one.

So for me, it's the particular players that I like on the team, that make me root for them. It's not about the next ten years. It's about the now.

mavs>spurs2
05-31-2008, 09:37 PM
I would have answered in the "Why all the trading threads?", but greens made it clear that certain types aren't welcome in that thread, so I'm not going to crash it with my opinion.

First of all, speaking as a Spurs fan for 26 years, I don't want to see any of our core leave the team. Seeing any of them in a different uniform would be bizarre. Trust me, I don't like the idea at all.

Having said that, there is another perspective from which to discuss the offseason. If you or I were in a position to make personnel decisions, we couldn't afford sentimentality to get in the way of winning. We would have to make tough decisions occasionally, some of which would doubtless be unpopular with the fanbase.

When you've got a once-in-a-generation player like Tim Duncan on your club, you've got to maximize your chances to win championships. The Spurs franchise squandered the peak of David Robinson's career and squandering Duncan's remaining high-level years would be a bigger slap in the face of fans than doling out loyalty seasons to as many popular players as possible. Tim is the one constant force behind those four banners - he deserves more from the FO than a farewell tour in his final years.

Hi, Terry

SRJ
05-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi, Terry

:lol