PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs face tough calls on older free agents

loveforthegame
05-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Sounds like Finley will play next season be it with the Spurs or not. Horry still undecisive. Thomas might have to be resigned if Splitter stays in Spain.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060108.8C.BKNspurs.freeagents.344d188.html

Spurs face tough calls on older free agents

Web Posted: 05/31/2008 09:57 PM CDT

By Mike Monroe
Express-News

Three members of the Spurs' core, each a veteran of at least 11 seasons, will become unrestricted free agents July 1.

Average age of Robert Horry, Michael Finley and Kurt Thomas: 36.

Could a team hoping to get younger and more athletic seriously consider returning all three for next season?

Finley, who started 61 games and increased his scoring average by more than a point over 2006-07, would love to return to the Spurs.

“I'm not ready to hang it up yet,” he said Saturday, after the final meeting with coaches at the team's practice facility. “I still feel I can give a team some added help.

“In a perfect world, I'd love to stay here and help reclaim a championship. But I understand it's a business, so from that standpoint, I have to remain open-minded.”

Finley, who signed with the Spurs in 2005, said he hasn't thought much about free agency. The sting of losing to the Lakers in the Western Conference finals remains too fresh.

“I haven't had time to think about being a free agent,” Finley said, “but it is my future, so it's something that, at some point, I will have to sit down with my agent and my family and make a decision about what we have in store.”

Horry, 38, finished a disappointing season by never leaving the bench during the Spurs' Game 5 loss to the Lakers.

Nevertheless, he said he's “up in the air” about retiring.

“Eighty percent of me wants to play,” he said. “I'm sure when I get in the gym and see people bouncing the ball, it will turn into 100 percent. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.”

If he returns for a 17th season, he wants it to be as a Spur.

“It's basically here, or nowhere else,” he said, “but I'm not going to close the door. If somebody has a chance of going to the playoffs and has a team I respect and players I like and think I can enjoy battling with, I'd look into that situation. Other than that, no.”

Horry said he understands his physical skills have diminished with age, but believes he remains capable of contributing to a good team.

“If I stuck around,” he said, “I'd still be better than a lot of the players. I might not be as fast as a lot of them, or as quick, but I'm smarter than 98 percent of the league.”

Thomas, meanwhile, played his best game of the playoffs in the Spurs' final game. With 2007 draft pick Tiago Splitter's apparent decision to stay in Spain, it's more likely the Spurs will re-sign Thomas.

Spurs coach and executive vice president of basketball operations Gregg Popovich said the Spurs are certain to adjust their roster.

“We usually adjust,” he said, “first, based on guys who don't have a contract, whether they want to come back or we want them to come back.”

Supergirl
05-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Thomas is definitely a keeper. Spurs have already made it clear they intend to keep him, and they should. Horry has a spot if he wants it, and he won't take many minutes from anyone.

Finley is the big if. He really came up short in this years playoffs, and that's really disappointing. He's a good guy, he was a key contributor to our 2007 championship run, but if he's looking for another big contract, I don't think the Spurs should give it to him. On the other hand, I'd keep him for the vet minimum.

loveforthegame
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Thomas is definitely a keeper. Spurs have already made it clear they intend to keep him, and they should. Horry has a spot if he wants it, and he won't take many minutes from anyone.

Finley is the big if. He really came up short in this years playoffs, and that's really disappointing. He's a good guy, he was a key contributor to our 2007 championship run, but if he's looking for another big contract, I don't think the Spurs should give it to him. On the other hand, I'd keep him for the vet minimum.

I don't see how you let Thomas go even if they do draft a young big in the draft or Splitter decides to come over. I just don't see room for Horry unless they unload Bonner somewhere. Duncan/Oberto/Mahinmi/Thomas only leaves room for one more big.

Finley signed for about half the MLE when he came here so I don't see him looking for a big contact. If he was after money it was time to cash in 3 years ago. I definitely see him playing for the vet minimum to stay here. It depends on if they plan to keep Barry at the pg position only. That would leave Ginobli/Bowen/Udoka all ahead of Finley. Pop likes to have 5 so that would leave room for one in the draft and/or free agency.

NewJerSpur
05-31-2008, 11:44 PM
I think the Spurs keep Kurt and Rob. I think there is a mutual split between the Spurs and Fin.

Elsewhere, I think Barry comes back for another go-round, Vaughn is a BIG "if" (depending on what the draft/Free Agency provide), and Damon & Bonner are gone.

intlspurshk
05-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Let Finley go and develop a new SG/SF (via draft o trade or FA). Let's try Rayn Gome / Kelena / or even Dorrell Wright

T Park
Bonner goes no where.

Vaughn has a player option so hes going no where.

Fin leaves

Rob and Thomas come back to piss off spurstalk nation

loveforthegame
They almost have to move Bonner if they're to give Mahinmi a real shot at the rotation. I would like them to move Vaughn if they can get a pg in the draft and allow Barry to pick up the rest of the minutes.

T Park
05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Move Vaughn.

What team is beating down the Spur's door for Vaughn?

They need a young point guard. Barry is not a back up point.

koopa
05-31-2008, 11:50 PM
if robert horry is back, i will not watch a single game next season, because it shows that the spurs are making zero attempt to get better

none of these old bastards should be back, we need nothing but youth, i doubt we can compete next year anyway, so might as well start preparing for life without tim duncan and getting these young guys experience

NewJerSpur
05-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Move Vaughn.

What team is beating down the Spur's door for Vaughn?

They need a young point guard. Barry is not a back up point.

Maybe they can trade Vaughn & Bonner for ______________ (insert big name, franchise player on a rebuilding team here).

loveforthegame
05-31-2008, 11:52 PM
I think Vaughn can be moved only if they get a young pg in the draft and Barry can pick up the 3rd string minutes.

T Park
05-31-2008, 11:56 PM
moved for what?

No one wants him.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-01-2008, 12:08 AM

Thomas should stay, at least Pop said he always wanted to have him playing for the Spurs and he's that kind of player Pop likes. Even if a big comes, he should stay, he's still got it big time and a summer camp of preparation will have him totally adjusted to Spurs game plan.

Finley not only came up short in the playoffs, he was awful all season long, he's there for his shooting ability and on that department he struggled big time. Main reason why manu was so wasted was because Fin was just plain awful for weeks at a time, then would come back with 3-4 solid games and then he would just change dimensions and forget his own self again. Most of the team was horrendous all season long and it really felt like it was a drag to even get to the playoffs. Fin has major responsibilities there.

Horry if I know Pop he will have him in the roster for minimum vet probably but I think they will sit with him and demand he gets more active during the season. He got big time bailed out then entire season with the "I will play when I feel like I'm in the game again". You can't mail it the entire season and then expect being really useful at crunch time. He was 0-9 this series.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Thomas needs to be back, and with a whole summer and training camp will be a solid player for us in the post.

Finley and Horry shouldn't be anywhere near this team on opening day unless they're in the stands at the at&t center.